Xbox One developers won’t be forced to shoot for 1080p, says exec

Thursday, 3rd October 2013 10:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft won’t make 1080p a mandatory goal on the Xbox One platform, according to chief of staff for company’s devices and studios group Aaron Greenberg. It follows some chaos after Ryse was confirmed to run natively at 900p.

We covered Greenberg’s comments to Digital Foundry here, in which he explained the inner workings of the Xbox One CPU and more resolution-based details. 1080p was also touted during the article.

Confirming Microsoft’s stance on all things 1080p, Greenberg issued a statement to OXM. It reads, “Xbox One is designed to deliver the best blockbuster games today and for the next decade, and supports up to 4K resolution for games and entertainment.”

“However, we’ve left the decision up to individual developers to determine what resolution best fits their own design goals. Xbox One will present all titles at 1080p either natively or upscaled by the Xbox One.”

You can play catch-up on the Ryse 900p controversy – if it can be called that – here.

What do you think of the above?

1. DrDamn

@Dave
    I think this was already covered by a previous article (though not by the article headline) …

Probably worth nuking rather than repeat the clusterfuck that was the comments section :)

#1 10 months ago
  2. orakaa

Ok, so new console, but some games still not in 1080p? And they’re talking about 4K? Is it really a new console?
    Oh boy…

#2 10 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

@1 The base topic was yeah, but that comment to OXM is new :)

#3 10 months ago
  4. DrDamn

Fair enough :)

#4 10 months ago
  5. Erthazus

“and supports up to 4K resolution for games and entertainment.”

Comment of the motherfucking day. Any Videocard that is right now from AMD or Nvidia does not support that resolution for games because there is no way that current gen videocards can support such a massive stream data for games for at least 30 FPS. Current gen videocards max. resolution right now is 2560×1660 and even with that Res some of the older videocards (or not the top of them) have issues to make it right in 30 frames or more. You can check out the latest benchmarks:

but XBOX ONE SUPPORTS 4K WITH GAMING with 720p BATTLEFIELD 4 and 900p RYSE

OH GOD DAMN FUCK. Just awesome freakin faptastic. Such a crazy lie. I won’t buy this system no matter what games it will have. I hate lies. Lies such a this makes me sick.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Ignatius_Cheese

1080p minimum or GTFO!

#6 10 months ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Halo 5 or whatever was confirmed 1080p and 60fps by MS. I wonder if / when they will change their mind with that?

I have a feeling that MS and Sony to an extent are going to try and sell a 1080p upscale as proof of 1080p alot this upcoming generation…

That gives me severe déjà vu from the current generation.

I would like to bet Halo will be 720p or 900p up scaled to 1080p.

#7 10 months ago
  8. digmouse

Next-Gen my ass.

#8 10 months ago
  9. DrDamn

Aside from that link I can’t find any quotes or official info that Halo 5 has been announced as 1080p. 60fps yes, this was in the E3 presser, but 1080p? I think that was just an assumption.

Why Sony to an extent? DC – 1080p native, KZSF 1080p native, Knack 1080p native, Resogun 1080p native. The only confirmed title from Sony which isn’t 1080p native is The Order which has gone for 1920×800 for the aspect ratio – technically no upscale ;).

#9 10 months ago
  10. VibraniumSpork

Pffffftttt…I love y’all and everything but I do wonder how much of this is peeps just getting their nerd on.

GTA V was 720p…sold pretty well and I didn’t notice any ill effect. I game on a fairly high-end TV and to be honest my eyes don’t vomit when I play a 720p game, nor do they break out into song when it’s in 1080p (though both scenarios would be, admittedly, terrifyingly Lynch-ian). Usually I’m just too busy playing to notice?

Anyone else back me up on that or am I just a total A/V pleb?

#10 10 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

Yeah, your right with Halo, my bad. :)

As for the ‘to an extent’, again I’m jumping the gun their 1080p output looks much more solid.

#11 10 months ago
  12. monkeygourmet

No, it’s just me being picky / unrealistic about these next gen machines! :)

Still think they slightly miss timed the tech after the long wait though, especially MS after a pretty sterling job with the 360 innards vs. Price.

The PS4 looks to be the 360 of this gen.

#12 10 months ago
  13. DrDamn

I agree. It seems fairly obvious the machines needed to be able to comfortably hit 1080p. That’s the resolution of the TVs. The hits they were both taking on the hardware last time were unrealistic though. This is where we are.

Things will get better as the generation moves on though and I expect the X1 will step up a bit resolution wise as devs get their engines round the eSRAM situation. Launch is too soon to judge where they actually are.

#13 10 months ago
  14. orakaa

@10 : sure, and graphics aren’t everything in a game… but if NEW consoles aren’t able to do better and properly render games in 1080p, then why not stay on PS360 ?

That’s the main point of getting consoles that will replace current gen : better possibilities and better graphics. Otherwise we would still be playing with NES games.

#14 10 months ago
  15. zinc

Well fuck it then. I’m off to spend thousands on a high end, bells & whistles pc!

How can i enjoy Minecraft if its not 60fps & 1080p?!

#15 10 months ago
  16. bradk825

Sony has stayed pretty quiet on this despite taking every chance at a cheap-shot since E3. Could it be they are also not forcing devs to make 1080p and hoping no one will notice?

#16 10 months ago
  17. DrDamn

I doubt they are forcing devs, but they are leading by example at least.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Kane

I can remember the very first games on the 360. They didn’t hit native 720P till around Year 2. So give developers time with final hardware and final code and we can expect some good stuff

#18 10 months ago
  19. Keivz

I agree with this and we have discussed this before. You always have to budget your resources to achieve your vision. While many games will have a vision that allows for 1080p, many will have a vision that cannot be achieved at 1080p. So why make 1080p an arbitrary restriction?

On the other hand you could say that < 1080p is too low for some people (like <800×600 is too low for most any person) no matter the addition of AA. I think part of this stems from 'sitting on a desk' gaming that many PC gamers do rather than 'living room' gaming many console gamers do, where by sitting 7-9 feet away from your screen makes the 'jaggies' less obvious. But by saying that < 1080 is too low, you are asking developers to restructure their resource budget; or, in other words, to alter their vision of what the game should look like. That's what I disagree with.

Also we should adjust our expectations for next gen a bit and cut these new boxes some slack. They are $400 machines for the most part. If a $1000 video card (Titan) + a $1000 processor (i7-3960X) can't hit 1080/60 (avg) on a current gen game (Crysis 3, less than maxed) then asking a $400 box to do even half that framerate is a bit over-expectant don't you think?

#19 10 months ago
  20. Cobra951

@1: Yes, and my comment there (#81) belongs here as well. I’d take 60 fps @720p over 30 fps @1080p any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

@19: Thank you!

#20 10 months ago
  21. monkeygourmet

But the argument is consoles are a closed dev environment, PC games are never optimised (the same as console titles) and can eat up more resources than they need.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Riseer

Well I am buying a Ps4 over Xbox one but I expect some great looking games for both consoles.$400-$500 isn’t much for a next gen system ”PS4 is a awesome deal”people need to understand that after one year 360 was lagging well behind a highend Pc.Ps3 was never as powerful as a highend Pc when it launched.Yet look at the games both consoles had,Ps3 had some of the best looking games this gen,360 had some great looking games as well.Lets not judge consoles like Pc’s i don’t understand the Pc elitist owning a Pc and a console is the best route.

#22 10 months ago
  23. pcbros

I think people were expecting to achieve PC level graphics this generation. And that’s simple going to be impossible. You can optimize the game to run well and be some what comparable to it’s PC version, but it will never be equal or better. Console games do not run in “ultra” settings, then run in optimized settings.

Also, you are paying $400/$500 for a gaming console, you can’t expect miracles. On the plus side, every game you play will be optimized and you are assured a playable experience with no upgrading through out it’s life cycle.

Drop the 1080p obsession and just enjoy games that will look several times better than the current-gen’s offerings. Remember, resolution != better graphics. Don’t forget about the details (polycount) and framerate.

#23 10 months ago
  24. monkeygourmet

No, but they (MS) did achieve that to some degree with the 360. The GPU was pretty beefy for a budget price console and the took EPICs advice and upped the RAM.

After Samaritan was shown, I was hoping MS would have wanted Unreal 4 engine games to run at 1080p & 60fps on Xbone, likewise for Sony.

What we have in reality (XBone) is a fucking expensive media box and camera that isn’t even focused on games. Ryse has been in development for years, and although it’s changed focus, it’s still a closed / corridor slasher. Dropping to 900p and 30fps is a bit of a poor show IMO and makes me worry and the supposed long term future of these consoles, especially the Xbone.

There not even slightly worrying PC specs, the 360 almost achieved that for a bit with its GPU.

Also, the buying power a company like MS has, I’m suprised they couldn’t get a better GPU considering bulk purchases.

#24 10 months ago
  25. pcbros

@24 – Just don’t jump the gun. Look at Call of Duty 2 (360 launch title) and compare it to Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 or Battlefield 3.

Don’t remember how the 360 compared to the PC initially in performance but as of recent, the 360/PS3′s performance has not been on par with their PC counterpart (look at BF3 for example). But then again, it’s like comparing the performance of a Nissan 370 vs a GT-R. Not a fair comparison, one is way more expensive.

Consoles do have an initial advantage because of bulk purchases. It’s hard, if not impossible, to build a comparable PC for the same price at first. But in a few years, the same hardware on the XB1/PS4 will be outdated and cheap for consumers. Eventually PC’s catch up and surpass consoles because consoles are fixed. They cannot be upgraded.

Now I see why Microsoft/Sony waited so long to release new hardware. I can only imagine what the performance would have been 1-2 years ago. If people are complaining now… I can only imagine what it would have been like.

Also, don’t be too quick to piss on the mediabox idea. Lots of people bought a PS3 because of the Blu-ray player. I can imagine some people will be wowed by the neat tricks the XB1 can pull off.

#25 10 months ago
  26. monkeygourmet

It’s a personal and selfish point of view! :) I will still enjoy the games, just haven’t been blown away by any shape or form by the reveals. Especially with the PS3 / 360 having one of the strongest 2 years in gaming history (IMO).

As I have other options, I’m going to make sure I explore those aswell.

#26 10 months ago
  27. pcbros

I wasn’t impressed by Call of Duty 2 neither… but things got a lot more impressive as the years rolled on. Expect the same this upcomming generation.

But I think holding on to your PS3/360 is not such a bad idea. They still have life in them (especially the PS3). Might as well game on those until you get tired and by then who knows how things turn out.

I’m actually awaiting a PS3 sale to rebuy it. I was so upset with the fake PS3 price-drop ($200 for a stripped PS3). Hopefully something better comes up this holiday season.

The PC/PS3 will keep me going for atleast another year (that’s the goal). Plan B, is to get a $300 Wii U Super Mario World 3D bundle with a $50 Best Buy gift card (hoping for it) ;)

#27 10 months ago
  28. sebastien rivas

Bah yes hehehe… Greenberg, Greenberg, Greenberg!

A bit late as we all figured that out already quite some time ago but more importantly, I do hope you felt the slap in the face for pulling the thread of ever more competitiveness in detriment to powerhousing…
    I really hope you do because again, while it seems like it, gamers are not fools nor milking cows. It would really sadden me to see MS going out of competition, especially when you know the brand and bunch of coders are not faulty but higher decisions so far are the cause to effect.
    Now you have Steambox coming too, the competition is going to rage on buddy and MS does not start in situation that is its usual self, that is, start first, be first, be on top. This gen begins with their respective antonyms and I’ll let you figure this out because I don;t want to say it, I don’t like it, not even a bit!

#28 10 months ago
  29. sg1974

Is this the same Aaron Greenberg who in 2009 mocked and criticised Sony for having non-gaming things such as an internet browser on a games console. I remember the quote clearly:

“Sony have to decide whether the PS3 is a games console or a home entertainment centre. Ours is a games console for gamers.”

Jump to 2013…..

#29 10 months ago
  30. pcbros

@29 – But what’s to be expected? I bet half of these guys can’t even play their own systems.

#30 10 months ago