“Petitions will not change that”, warns Insomniac over Sunset Overdrive’s Xbox One exclusivity

Thursday, 3rd October 2013 12:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Sunset Overdrive is Insomniac Games’ Xbox One exclusive and nothing, not even petitions will see it come to PS4, according to community web developer Tim Salvitti.

Over on the Insomniac forums, Salvitti responded to the creator of a Sunset Overdrive PS4 petition. he explained the company’s stance, “Sunset Overdrive is and will be exclusive to the Xbox One. Petitions will not change that. We have a partner in Microsoft, that we are happy with for this title. That doesn’t mean we can’t and won’t work with other publishers (see Into the Nexus).

“We realize not everyone is happy it’s exclusive. We hope the game speaks for itself though and the console becomes a nonissue. Thanks.”

He then locked the thread.

Replying to another forumite on the matter, he said, “I would not count on it being on the PS4. I will not say never because you never really know (heck Ratchet could end up on Xbox one day), but we are not planning on it being on the PS4, nor is it planned to be a timed exclusive. It is being developed and optimized for the Xbox One.”

The game was announced alongside Xbox One’s reveal and it features both free-running and Kinect support. It also runs on an updated version of the Fuse engine.

What do you make of the above?

Via OXM.

1. Ali

LOL can’t believe somebody bothered 2 do a petition for this ..

#1 7 months ago
  2. Kanok

If you wanna play Sunset Overdrive, just buy Xbox One.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

“If you want to play Sunset Drive on consoles, then we have a console for you….it’s called the Xbox One.”

#Dealwithit

#3 7 months ago
  4. Blue Oni

Poor Insomniac…i hope this game does not bomb too much…

#4 7 months ago
  5. Francis O

It can stay a Xbox one exclusive.

I don’t see why PS4 fanboys want this game.

#5 7 months ago
  6. KineticCalvaria

Oh so I don’t need to start a petition to keep it off my precious PS4 now, great news!

But seriously, I’m not even a little bit interested by this game, it seems pointless.

#6 7 months ago
  7. SameeR_Fisher

I didn’t sign nor will I sign such petition, have it with Xbone players.

#7 7 months ago
  8. monkeygourmet

I thought the concept looked weak and the art style was horrible. Like a bad Pixar rip off (which is also how I view Knack).

#8 7 months ago
  9. zinc

If this bombs on Xbone, I look forward to Insomniac announing the PS4 release because “Its what our fans wanted”

#9 7 months ago
  10. redwood

lol man.. one of the least interesting games in the next-gen.

#10 7 months ago
  11. Joe Musashi

Petitions rarely change anything anyway.

I can’t help but think it’s a bit early to judge the quality of Sunset Overdrive.

For my money, Insomniac games that are bright and cartoony (Ratchet and Clank) have been more fun than the serious and realistic(ish) (Resistance, maybe Fuse).

Sunset Overdrive looks like it may be going for the bright and vibrant feel. So I’ll be cautiously optimistic.

JM

#11 7 months ago
  12. VibraniumSpork

@11 “Petitions rarely change anything anyway.”

I agree. But most gamers’ reaction to this comment?: http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1297473/not-listening-dumb-and-dumber-o.gif :D

#12 7 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

One thing I find interesting is:

With the advent of MMORPG or always online worlds coming in force to next gen, how can devs minimise hints being a cluster fuck and will console players put up with broken games they may not even work properly on launch?

PC gamers are used to this for better or worse, but seeing games like Hitman (save game bug), Skyrim (PS3), FF Online (PS3 fiasco), GTA Online struggling so much on consoles, doesn’t that kind of negate the point of having something that is supposedly ‘plug and play’?

The reason I say that is this title is supposed to have a unique online world, I can just foresee a lot of pissed off people next gen not being able to play games on launch.

#13 7 months ago
  14. Joe Musashi

@12 Hyuck hyuck! :P

JM

#14 7 months ago
  15. bobnice

Dont worry. There’s always Knack…

#15 7 months ago
  16. Dendroball

#13 You would think that all those people understood that a perfect/smooth launch for a massively anticipated multiplayer oriented game doesn’t exist, never existed (let say at least in the last 5/7 years when those kind of games reached a mainstream status) and will certainly not exist in the next 5 years.

Everyone enoughly involved in video games knows it but everytime a huge game has an (expected) rocky launch, everyone still acts outraged like if they were expecting for some reason that particular game not to follow the same fate as the countless previous games that encountered a less than smooth launch.

#16 7 months ago
  17. ysleiro

To #7 and the other bitter folks.

Good, good.. let the butthurt flow through you.

#17 7 months ago
  18. Jmc

This looks like a publicity stunt by Insomniac trying to create interest in their flopped game. Even Knack is outselling this game (BY FAR). The game doesn’t look appealing at all (the numbers don’t lie):

Amazon order rank for Sunset Overdrive is: 3090
    Knack’s rank is: 419
    Dead Rising 3 rank is: 226
    Ryse: 117
    Call of Duty Ghost: 43

Only 25 people from 11 countries signed the petition. Yeah, this is a publicity stunt. FAIL

#18 7 months ago
  19. fearmonkey

Everyone is bashing Knack and it’s the #1 game I am looking forward to playing on PS4….

I remember when those types were king, now everything is super serious with a gun. While I like those as well, I love platformer kind of games, and I have mentioned it before but Knack reminds me alot of Kameo.

Sunset Overdrive was a pre-rendered trailer, not sure why anyone cares yet. Insomniac was a PS dev for a long time, so maybe PS fans are upset about the MS exclusive?

I just hope for Insomniac it doesnt turn out to be a Factor 5 situation, as Xbox is really focused on shooters.

#19 7 months ago
  20. fearmonkey

@18 – Do you know what the top PS4 game is ranked vs the top Xbox One game? -Just curious

#20 7 months ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

I want to believe it, but can’t. Why? because history.

#21 7 months ago
  22. eaglerapida13

poor sony fanboys ps4 has no games :))

#22 7 months ago
  23. dkpunk

Lot of sony tough guys saying “you can keep this crap game!” Sound like a scorned lover to me…

#23 7 months ago
  24. Clupula

They can keep it. Actually, while they’re at it, they can take Knack too, as neither game looks particularly interesting to me.

#24 7 months ago
  25. Jmc

@20 Here are some ranks for some other games (just to give you an idea):

Killzone order Rank: 83
    Assassins Creed 4 PS4: 68
    Assassins Creed 4 XB ONE: 294
    Watch Dogs PS4: 46
    Watch Dogs XB ONE: 215

Over and Out

#25 7 months ago
  26. SameeR_Fisher

@#17: got to love self entitled people like you, you are so out of touch.

Anyway even if this came to PS4, I wouldn’t buy it, this is not my kind of game, get it through your head.

#26 7 months ago
  27. bradk825

Not surprising, if something is built as an exclusive, deals have been made, and you can’t normally up and decide not to make it as an exclusive.

#27 7 months ago
  28. fearmonkey

@25 – Interesting that Watch Dogs/AC4 is so high on PS4 and not so much on Xbone, and both third party games are over Killzone, which is still over Ryse. I wonder what Forza is ranked, thats a big franchise, surely it’s up there.

I’m not sure how you find those rankings, but i looked in the top 100 for video games, and Watch Dogs is listed at 22 for the PS4, COD on PS4 is 31, AC:IV on PS4 is 34, Destiny on PS4 is 35, Vita is 48, and the first Xbox One title to appear in the list is COD at 61, TitanFall at 85.

The Xbox One has 4 items listed in the top 100 best sellers, PS4 has 14, and the Wii-u has 10 items.

#28 7 months ago
  29. Jmc

@28 – I am looking at the USA list. I compared your numbers to UK and it was close but did not match exactly so I don’t know where you’re getting them from?

#29 7 months ago
  30. yeoung

Hmm, that’s too bad. Looks like fun. Won’t get me to buy an Xbox one though. That said, this and DR3 are looking like some serious coop fun.

#30 7 months ago
  31. derpachu

Good. At the butt hurt Ps fanboys act like they don’t care.

#31 7 months ago