Market research firm expects PS4 to outsell Xbox One this holiday season due to “variety of factors”

Thursday, 3rd October 2013 20:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

International Data Corporation, an American market research, analysis and advisory firm specializing in information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology, believes the lower price point of PlayStation 4 among a “variety of factors” will give it an edge over Xbox One in the market this holiday season.

According to the latest IDC report, via Gamespot, the number of consoles shipped during the current year will also be “marginally higher” worldwide than in 2012 when global units shipped hit 33 million.

The firm’s gaming research manager Lewis Ward also predicted in the report that “prepaid full-game, micro-game, and add-on revenue” generated through Xbox Live, PSN, and eShop will exceed worldwide PC-based digital sales fir the first time in 2013, and that while sub-based PC revenue is on the decline, Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus sales are up for the year.

The online console market will hit 165 million users worldwide by 2017, and as a result, the opportunity to sell digital assets “through Wii U, Xbox One, and PS4 online storefronts will grow substantially in the next several years.”

With China recently lifting the ban on consoles, at least partially, Ward expects millions of hardware units to sell for the big three over the next few years.

Ward also said in the report he doesn’t expect Ouya, Steam Machines, smart TVs, or other consoles to drive Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony “out of the living room from a gaming perspective by 2017.”

1. Lounds

But no 1 knows how many sales steam gets? It has well over 25million accounts with 6 million or more active daily users.

#1 7 months ago
  2. Dragon

Duh.
    Everything is spot on.

#2 7 months ago
  3. fearmonkey

Just looking at Amazon earlier and that seems to be a safe bet.

The Xbox One has 4 items listed in the top 100 best sellers (In Video Games), PS4 has 14, and the Wii-u has 10 items.
    The Wii-u is selling more items than Xbox One about a month an a half before launch.

PS4 has almost 4x the items in the Top 100.

Regarding games, Watch Dogs is listed at 22 for the PS4, COD on PS4 is 31, AC:IV on PS4 is 34, Destiny on PS4 is 35, Vita is 48, and the first Xbox One title to appear in the list is COD at 61, TitanFall at 85.
    I didn’t see Forza in the Top 100, I thought that odd.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Phoenixblight

I was inside gamestop to talk to a friend and while waiting until he was free I had watched this promo video and it was talking about next gen. All it did was promote the PS4 on how its better with a better lineup, better hardware, etc and then when it came to the Xbox One they would not mention any of those things. I found it kind of funny especially since Gamestop doesn’t seem to be too behind the machine.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Dragon

^Maybe those DRM shenanigans left a sore taste in gamestops mouth?

#5 7 months ago
  6. Phoenixblight

Most likely. Just found it funny and probably one the factors why it won’t do as well at launch.

#6 7 months ago
  7. NiceFellow

@3 interesting list. Does seem pretty clear at least from Amazon purchasers.

As for Forza TBH although I like it I don’t believe it’s ever launched with huge sales initially.

It seems to sell decently enough but the franchise has always been heavily bundled to push the IP which I think inflates how big it really is on its own, so it doesn’t surprise me the initial demand doesn’t break the top 100, not with CoD, Assassin’s Creed, plus big new IP like Destiny on the way competing with it for cash.

#7 7 months ago
  8. monkeygourmet

I wonder when MS will launch the next salvo of a TV info? Still nothing more on a Halo TV show, I expect they have some things cooking from that angle to draw people in next year.

The first hit is the gamers, and although PS4 looks to be ahead, I don’t think MS is far enough behind to worry too much. The second push will be interesting:

TV, Titan Fall, Halo, more Kinect shit (whatever else MS has)

VS.

Infamous, Vita TV and whatever else Sony has cooking.

Also, we should get some nice multiplatform tear downs soon after launch, can’t wait for that!

#8 7 months ago
  9. Erthazus

Sony clearly have the advantage with price, hardware right now. With games… not really. Xbox One can’t match that too until Titanfall release which is also available on the PC.

If I wanted to buy a system… then only for inFamous: Second Son and it’s just one game really.

#9 7 months ago
  10. fearmonkey

@8 – I can’t wait for those tear downs either.

One thing I should have mentioned is the main MS Published title in the Top 100 on Amazon, was Halo believe it or not. A game barely anyone knows about with no real release date is beating everything but COD:Ghosts for Xbox One.

Even if MS does lousy the first year, when Halo launches, it’s going to fly off the shelves most likely. Unless the PS4 somehow in one year gets way ahead, and I doubt that.

#10 7 months ago
  11. bradk825

Another pre-order list I looked at showed COD for 360 as the number 1, then a little further down came the PS3 version, then PS4, then XB1 all one after the other. The overall Microsoft COD sales greatly outnumber the over-all sony ones, and the XB1 ones were only a couple thousands under the two Sony ones.

COD always sold better on the 360, and it seems like most MS players picking up COD are sticking with their 360 this year. The Xbox 360 version alone had almost as many sales as both Sony versions. The site was called vgchartz or something like that.

#11 7 months ago
  12. bradk825

@10 good point about Halo. Halo has always been a system seller (though it’s not my cup of tea) and the dedicated servers make XB1 the best way to play COD. Halo players can’t play Halo 4 on XB1, so they are likely holding back.

I am guessing when Halo 5 comes out, console sales will go up quite quickly. Sames goes for the first time COD goes next-gen only instead of cross-gen.

#12 7 months ago
  13. Erthazus

Halo is a system seller, but it will be interesting what Sony is going to offer for a PS4 next year when Xbox will be ready for a Halo game next year.

My blatant guess is Uncharted 4 and it has a chance to look and play amazing.

#13 7 months ago
  14. fearmonkey

@13 – I have been thinking about exactly that, what game/games could they counter with against Halo? Fable Heroes could be around that time as well.

#14 7 months ago
  15. monkeygourmet

Can’t wait for Uncharted 4! Have a feeling were off to Atlantis or a Hy Brasil! Through Ireland would be great, a shoot out near giants causeway would be pretty epic! :)

#15 7 months ago
  16. mistermogul

I have jumped ship from MS to Sony next gen mainly due to Sony’s first party exclusives and the fact MS tried to force shitty policies onto me…

I’m looking forward to seeing how it pans out and also if my Wii U can survive!

#16 7 months ago
  17. monkeygourmet

Mario 3D World looks to be one of the highlights this year (if your into that sort of thing!)

#17 7 months ago
  18. sebastien rivas

It is not Ouya or TV machine that will drive competition out but if the competition makes wrong choices over and over again, then yes, consumers will ditch traditional consoles out because there is only so much room and revenues.
    Also while China cracked opened its doors to consoles, I would not bait much on revenues in China for 1st and 2nd year, it can sell well as it can not sell at all.

#18 7 months ago
  19. mistermogul

@17 – Definitely into 3D Mario and it’ll be my first “must have” Wii U game! Yay

#19 7 months ago
  20. pcbros

@16 – Super Mario 3D World is probably their biggest chance. If that game doesn’t move systems, not sure what will. Maybe the next Zelda installment or Smash Bros?

#20 7 months ago
  21. monkeygourmet

EAD Tokyo, one of the best studios in the world! :)

#21 7 months ago
  22. viralshag

For me price is really the only area where the PS4 is at an advantage. Killzone looks like every other Killzone – thoroughly average. With that not really being a system seller for me there’s nothing else on offer.

#22 7 months ago
  23. pcbros

@22 – Sony nailed the price.

#23 7 months ago
  24. Lounds

price always wins, thats why PS2 beat dream cast and xbox.

#24 7 months ago
  25. Hcw87

It’s far from the price. Playstation has had a huge following years before the first Xbox came out, they started way earlier and built on that. They will allways outsell MS because of Asia.

#25 7 months ago
  26. absolutezero

Im getting both. I already have a WiiU and a gaming PC.

Feels good man.

#26 7 months ago
  27. monkeygourmet

:D

#27 7 months ago
  28. pcbros

@24 – Price *helps* you win…

#28 7 months ago
  29. absolutezero

It might sound like I’m Mr Money McMoney pants but I’m really not, I’ve just been saving since around May. I knew they were coming. I knew I wanted them I did without luxuries (well I still bought far too many games but eh…)

Its my hobby! Its my passion why would I not want to get both? Think of all those games! All of the games!

GAMES

#29 7 months ago
  30. monkeygourmet

Basically, same here. I try and get all consoles eventually (ideally launch!)

It was fantastic getting a Megadrive as well as a SNES. I finally was able to put to bed the Sonic vs. Mario feud. I unpackaged the Megadrive, plugged Sonic 1 in and booted it up…

After playing for about an half an hour, it was so clear… Sonic sucked all kinds of ass compared to Mario, and actually owning both systems let me do a proper comparison…

Oh, the poor lambs who liked needle mouse…

#30 7 months ago
  31. monkeygourmet

They’re both free if you are a shoplifter! :)

#31 7 months ago
  32. absolutezero

Mega Drive was superior. So there.

I’m glad we sorted that out.

#32 7 months ago
  33. monkeygourmet

Did you have a ‘cyber razor cut’?!

#33 7 months ago
  34. pcbros

@32 – Genesis vs SNES? The memories! lol

By the way, I love the Mega Drive (Genesis) but… SNES was better! The CPU was atleast 40% faster and it had .00025flops vs the Mega Drive’s .00023flops.

In all seriousness, both were stellar consoles. The 16-bit era was golden. So glad we have lots of indie devs bringing that retro feel back.

There were so many games that it would be impossible to list all my favorites here. But I’ll mention a few ;)

Super Mario World, Yoshi’s Island, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Sonic, Gunstar Heroes and E-Swat.

#34 6 months ago
  35. Doppleganger

XBox One – Best game titles
    PS4 -Best Console
    Steam Box -Best Overall

Im sorry but the people that are complaining about Microsoft “forcing” those policies on them are morons.
    Your fault they took them away and your fault the system has a useless optical drive. If they stuck with their guns the Xbox one would have been my choice, but now Im on the fence.

#35 6 months ago
  36. DarkSoulz

How is this possible? XO is sold out everywhere and…is this for Europe market or USA?

Sorry XO is winning in US and Canada. :\ MS has games coming out while Sony filled their # with tiny indy games.

#36 6 months ago
  37. OmegaSlayer

Guys, Erthazus’ account has been hacked.
    Whoever got it is saying reasonable things LOL

#37 6 months ago
  38. Ilovesony

blah blah blah….there is no winner right now… nothing has been released the same games on the boney system are on the PS4, Titan fall will not save that system. Dont get me wrong… Boney is gonna sell some units… but I truly believe sony has learned from their PS3 experience and are now prepared to take on that boney or xboney or whatever you wanna call it. but in the end my friends…. whether you get the awesomeness that is PS4 or buy that xbone skeleton thingy… WE are the true winners…

#38 6 months ago