Grand Theft Auto: Rockstar has “45 years worth of ideas” for the franchise

Thursday, 3rd October 2013 17:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Rockstar already has ideas to implement into Grand Theft Auto 6, according to Rockstar North president Leslie Benzie.

Speaking with Develop, Benzie said even with ideas in place, the current focus is on GTA Online and DLC plans.

“We’ve got about 45 years worth of ideas we want to do,” he said. “We don’t know what GTA 6 will be, but we’ve got some ideas.

“GTA Online is the focus right now. There ain’t no rest between finishing GTA 5 and then Online. Plus we have some other things – stuff, DLC, I don’t know how to describe it exactly – that we’d like to do, and we’ll pick the right ones.”

In a previous interview with The Guardian, Rockstar’s Dan Houser said pretty much the same thing: that the team is thinking about what it plans to do next, but at the same time, it’s not thinking about what GTA 6 will look like on the new console systems.

“We don’t have another GTA in development, we don’t work on three of these games at a time. That would be phenomenally depressing,” he said. “But we’re not [sitting here] fantasizing about 10 years down the line. We’re so busy with what we’re doing right now.”

Thanks, MCV.

1. XanderZane

Well that’s all fine and good, but when are they going to fix all the issues with GTA V Online? They should be busy with GTA V DLC and GTA 5 Online issues. I haven’t even tried the online portion and have no plans to until it’s completely fixed.

#1 9 months ago
  2. artursz1993

1st priority should be… fixing that god damn GTAO! Still can’t pass trough that 1st race X_X

#2 9 months ago
  3. Phoenixblight

@1 and 2

I deleted the update and re downloaded it and was able to play 4 hours with 6 of my friends last night. The first day I couldn’t get pass the first race, let alone the creation screen. Its getting there but its getting better.

#3 9 months ago
  4. artursz1993

@3 – Today I redownloaded that Title update, and still the same :/
    Looks like you and you are a lucky person :D

#4 9 months ago
  5. FrankWhite

Wow, literacy is your friend. You do realize he specifically said they aren’t working on the next title and focusing entirely on GTA5 Online and DLC, right? You did read those sentences…. right?

You can read .. .right?

#5 9 months ago
  6. DSB

Please, please get new writers.

I have no idea how the Housers work, but something’s gotta change. I think I’m just over halfway through the game, and the first half was outstanding. Full of great lines and interplay, and now it’s just regressing into the same inane bullshit as GTA IV.

It’s like right before it’s supposed to peak it just drops. I just don’t get how that can even happen. They were doing it right, and now they’re fucking it up again.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Hcw87

If you can’t connect to the online part, try this:

Delete the the characters you’ve made allready (all of them), delete the patch and start the game up/patch it. Then start up singleplayer, press Start and ”Play GTA Online – Go”. Create a new character and see if you still get stuck at the race. If you do, delete the patch again, start up the game/patch and CLICK ”A (X360)”/”X (PS3)” WHEN THE LOADING STARTS. It should put you right back into Online and the race should start.

I enjoyed the story a whole lot, didn’t really find anything i hated about it at all.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Un-HolyMOTHERofGOD

I haven’t even played GTA 5 but I’m already thinking about 6.

#8 9 months ago
  9. drewbles82

this is why i dont see the point in being interested in nextgen yet. Its rockstar, once the online is working fine, they claim its something you can play for years to come. Don’t forget how big the DLC was for GTA4 and red dead, no doubt they have plans for some big dlc.
    I got so many games to play on this gen that i havent even bought yet, so im covered for a few yrs.

#9 9 months ago
  10. YoungZer0

@6: I second that. Every problem I have with the game can be traced back to its writing. It has to change.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Hcw87

Critics love GTA’s story, so i doubt it’ll ever change. The majority of gamers enjoy it too.

#11 9 months ago
  12. DSB

Critics loved Rome II, so your argument is invalid. “Critics” obviously don’t know their asses from their elbows.

As for the majority of gamers, let’s ask the majority of gamers. Do we have an e-mail address where we can reach them? A number? Anything?

#12 9 months ago
  13. Djoenz

To me the writing is excellent. Ultimate sattire. Man I watched tv at Michaels house and Fame Or Shame was hilarious. He tweaked the lyrics to perfection.

LifeInvader =Facebook.
    Talks about pharaohs and illuminati.

They know exactly what to adress apart from the stereotypes and their way of talking. Have fun and enjoy it.

Its just a freaking game that doesnt take itself too serious.

Michael and that shrink must be a reference to tht Robert Dinero movie. Classic game.

#13 9 months ago
  14. DSB

@13 Simply being satirical doesn’t make something good though. It still takes care and ability. I think it’s pretty obvious from interviews that the Housers, or at least the one of them, considers himself a serious writer.

That’s why it’s so disappointing when they start phoning it in around the halfway mark. The motivations completely go missing and there’s all this drama popping up for absolutely no reason. I’m just sitting there watching it thinking “Why the fuck is this happening, and why didn’t they at least make it entertaining?”.

Of course it’s a huge job to write something like GTA V, I can barely imagine how many pages it must add up to, but if you can’t make it work with what you got, then you need to bring in someone else.

#14 9 months ago
  15. sb319

GTA is about making your own story.
    The actual scripted story is there to be enjoyed for what it is or ignored as you wish.
    And GTAV is a goddamn masterpiece. Not perfect, but amazing for what it is. Games just keep getting better, I love it.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Hcw87

They sold for 1 billion in the first week, something tells me gamers absolutely love the hell out of this game.

We’d have news posts of ”Dissatisfied gamers everywhere returning their copy of GTAV to stores” if people didn’t like it.

#16 9 months ago
  17. Djoenz

@DSB

I dread what you are saying man. As it happens the last thing I did was the heist withe submarine and chopper. So I might be getting there.

#17 9 months ago
  18. spazman

I know why there was no beta for 5 online, because they wanted to sucker us into buying the disc at full price. And why wasn’t the online intro on the disc where fans were expecting it to be. 45 years – how about a few more hours dedicated to the disc so you could flesh out a better script and missions instead of the rush job we had to endure having forked out 40 bucks or more.

#18 9 months ago
  19. DSB

@16 Of course you’re right to a certain extent, where there’s smoke there’s fire, but some people might buy GTA without giving a shit about the writing, and some – like myself – may have hated GTA IV, but still wouldn’t want to miss the next installment.

Some might simply buy it because it’s heavily promoted and they like games and junk, without really putting much thought into it.

That’s why the sweeping generalisation really doesn’t work. And it’s really not a very direct indication of quality.

@17 Everything’s opinion of course, some people won’t mind. At the point I’m at, it just makes precious little sense to me.

#19 9 months ago
  20. YoungZer0

45 years, hm?
    I can already see their team meeting:

“So in the next GTA your character is going to be a criminal, you’re going to meet caricatures of annoying people. Your character is going to tell them that they are screwed up and need help. And your character is going to work for them anyway, but he’s not going to enjoy it. Also at one point in the story, he’s going to work for the government, because they have something that they can use against him. He’s going to continue to work for those people until he realizes that he can just kill them. Then he kills them.”

Sounds pretty accurate, doesn’t it?

@15: “GTA is about making your own story.”

No, it isn’t.

“And GTAV is a goddamn masterpiece. Not perfect, but amazing for what it is.”

You do know what the word masterpiece means, right?

@16: “Sales. If people disliked GTA for whatever reason (previous GTA games didn’t really have multiplayer at all, yet people still bought them in droves) they wouldn’t have bought the games.”

A very simplistic view, isn’t it? There are a lot of reasons to like GTA, the gameplay, the freedom, the huge open world. I have yet to meet someone who thought the story or characters in GTA V are the #1 reason to buy GTA V. A lot of the critics mentioned how unlikeable the characters are and how out-of-focus or boring the story is and how it’s best not to care at all about it. I don’t think that’s a good thing.

GTA IV had the same damn problem.

Also can someone explain to me why the game forced you to visit flight school AFTER you already did use a plane to fly? And how come a 100% at the flight skill does not change shit about your flight skills?

#20 9 months ago
  21. Phoenixblight

Well I bought GTA V for the story and so far I am enjoying it a lot granted the gameplay and freedom outweigh the story but overall I am finding it harder to find way to improve this series. SO far its my GOTY.

#21 9 months ago
  22. XanderZane

@#5 Who the hell are you talking to? Why even meantion GTA VI when GTA V & GTA Online were just released. It’s pretty stupid.

#22 9 months ago
  23. DSB

I’d compare it to Dan Brown. One of the most succesful authors of the new century, but the writing itself is really pretty bad. The reason why Dan Brown appeals to people is because he’s able to tell a riveting story, and keep it moving at a furious pace.

Nobody buys those books because the writing itself is actually good, although some might mistake something that’s entertaining for something that’s technically sound.

@20 There are a lot of those things that just make zero sense.

Like making dumb rednecks protect the governments next big superweapon.. Which you have to take back, because otherwise you’d piss off the government.. Which somehow doesn’t happen if you just rob them on a completely different occasion, even though you kill a bunch of soldiers, because the government really doesn’t mind that very much.

It’s dumb, but I can get past that, it doesn’t have to be 100%.

It’s once they compromise the characters by making them do oddjobs for the feds for absolutely no reason. I just can’t follow that. Here’s a group of guys who risk their lives for a living, practically suicidal. Answer to no one, live by the gun… But they’re scared of a FIB agent?

What is the FIB going to do to a bunch of guys who deliberately fly into cargo planes in mid-air and ride dirt bikes onto moving trains, exactly? Fuck all, that’s what. And yet, they’re reduced to puppies on a leash.

This.

#23 9 months ago
  24. guadalupe07

The next gta should atleast take place in Chicago Illinois . Who else agrees with me?.

#24 9 months ago