Shadow of the Eternals on hold, Precursor “taking a break”

Monday, 30th September 2013 01:09 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Precursor Games seems to have been unsuccessful in securing a new line of funding for Shadow of the Eternals, and has officially shelved the project for now.

“It is with a heavy heart that we have decided to put the Shadow of the Eternals project on hold,” chief creator officer Denis Dyack wrote in a Precursor Games forum post.

“Many of us will be taking a break. For those who are not aware, we all worked on this project as a labor of love and self financed 100% of everything for a over a year to try to make Shadow of the Eternals a reality. Although we did not succeed on doing this, we succeeded in making many friends and starting something that we hope provided value for those involved. We have no regrets.”

Dyack said Precursor is “very happy” with what it accomplished, and “blown away” by community support for the project – which will make a return at some stage.

“Is the project dead? No, but we feel it needs a rest too. We have all agreed as a group that when and if the time is right we will get together and start it up again.”

Some team members will remain active on the developer’s forums.

Shadow of the Eternals was planned as a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness; Sanity’s Requiem, a cult classic from the Gamecube years. It was expected on PC and Wii U before its second crowdfunding campaign ended in failure.

Thanks, Ausgamers.

1. YoungZer0

Okay, hands up, who actually played Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem? I’ve yet to met a person who played it.

#1 12 months ago
  2. DSB

It’s sad, but they were really running those campaigns with their fingers firmly plugged in their ears.

I don’t think the game looked bad at all, but I’m not gonna fund a dev I don’t trust.

#2 12 months ago
  3. salarta

Aaaand here we continue with great, promising projects not getting to be made, while shitty ones are heavily encouraged by their constant being purchased in spite of people claiming they oppose everything those games do. I don’t see how there can be much of a right to complain about how companies like Activision and Squeenix ruin the medium or IPs when they’re getting the vivid message from cases like this that people won’t support anything that’s genuinely promising.

As much as we laughed about the Activision exec saying they take risks then citing Skylanders, the truth is we’ve proven as a collective that taking risks is corporate suicide. We don’t want risks. We want regurgitated crap that imitates empty Hollywood cliches, and we want everything that didn’t suck before to follow suit.

It’s a shame, too. Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem was an excellent game, and its final ending when you got the three endings done was neat.

#3 12 months ago
  4. YoungZer0

It’s a sequel, how is that supposed to be a huge risk? Are you doing what Precursor is doing and simply ignore the big elephant in the room?

#4 12 months ago
  5. DSB

salarta has a point, he’s just talking about the wrong game. Aside from being another nostalgia project, Shadow of Eternals didn’t fail because of the game, it failed because of the team.

New IPs from smaller studios do have a much harder time on Kickstarter, and I think that’s a shame. I’d like to see something like The Long Dark do better than it is.

Most of the (truly) new IPs I’ve funded that have been succesful were either asking for less than 150,000 dollars or done by an already popular studio.

#5 12 months ago
  6. DeVitowned

Is it possible the stigma behind Dyack could have had a hand in its lack of uptake?

#6 12 months ago
  7. Clupula

Bottom line is that Dyack is finished in this industry. He burned too many bridges, swindled too many people, told too many lies. Anyone who associates with him is just going to ruin their own careers.

Dennis Dyack is officially the Gary Glitter of the videogame industry, and probably should find a way to fade into obscurity and become a dock worker or something, so he doesn’t harm anyone else’s career.

#7 12 months ago
  8. antraxsuicide

Clupula’s got the answer, and the answer to 6′s question is yes. Dyack is a TERRIBLE person to be around. Just look at Kotaku’s write-up of Silicon Knights right before he left. He was crazy, which is okay. You just take the complaints to your HR rep, right?

Except the HR rep is Mrs. Dyack *facepalm*

I thought this was interesting, until I remembered that any money given to Dyack is basically forfeit.

#8 12 months ago
  9. frostquake

I played Eternal Darkness and still own it. Hmmmm, maybe I should go put it in my Dusty Wii?

#9 12 months ago
  10. Clupula

@8 – Yup. That’s exactly what it comes down to.

For anybody else, I posted these once before, but if you ever wanted to know why Dyack inspires such hatred, here’s the evidence.

#10 12 months ago
  11. absolutezero

I do genuinely believe that if they had hidden Dyack from view and cashed in a little bit more on the Eternal Darkness connection then it would have been funded.

As it is I’m a little bit sad that this of all things has become one of the largest failures so far. Just the initial campaign outside of kickstarter was stupid, the amount they were asking for was crazy. Theres a limited pool of people that check and read news associated with Kickstarter, alot of them are pretty protective over what they fund.

Its a miracle when something like Mighty Number 9 happens because an influx of new backers comes out of the woodwork, but its only for that game, they won’t hang about and fund other projects.

Its all known quantities aswell when asked to part with their own money to fund a project people go with what they know. Which is fine, its just galling when they go onto complain about a lack of new IP.

Eternal Darkness was one of two good games that Silicon Knights made, everything else they produced slowly turned to utter shit.

#11 12 months ago
  12. nintendotim

@1 – ::raises hand::

I thoroughly enjoyed it; thought it was a fantastic game.

@4 – It’s not a sequel; it has nothing to do with Eternal Darkness. It’s a spiritual successor. Precursor/Denis won’t be able to do a sequel without Nintendo’s consent, as they own the rights to the name “Eternal Darkness,” as well as the sanity meter.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Pitts

@12- How does a game touted by the developers as the “spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness” have “nothing” to do with the Eternal Darkness?

@11- Me too. I played Eternal Darkness way back when and it’s a bright spot in my Gamecube library. I would love to see it happen, but I could not bring myself to put my money into the hands of that guy.

With certainty, if this project did NOT have Dyack at the forefront *right f***ing after* the fiasco with Epic, maybe I would’ve felt more charitable! I don’t hate the guy or anything, but I won’t fork over my cash to someone who appears so unapologetic-ally untrustworthy with it.

Hope the game gets made some day.

#13 12 months ago
  14. DSB

It would really be as simple as that, wouldn’t it though?

Accepting responsibility, hitting the dirt, and then getting back on your feet.

You go from being the scoundrel demanding a second chance, to being the penitent asking for a second chance.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Pitts

@DSB- Yes, it would. I would gladly donate money if he was not associated with the project or simply apologized and moved on.

At the very least, get a different spokesperson for Precursor. Geez.

#15 12 months ago