Battlefield 4: AMD deal worth $5-8 million, reports suggest

Monday, 30th September 2013 13:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 4 is said to be included in an AMD bundle, and is set to become a showcase for the company’s components. The deal has reportedly cost AMD between $5-$8 million.

We reported on a previous Battlefield 4-AMD optimisation deal here, but there was no price-tag at the time. Regardless, it’s clear that both EA and AMD have been talking, and it should also be noted that PCs aside, PS4 and Xbox One both play home to AMD components.

Now, Fudzilla reports that a new deal between both parties will see Battlefield 4 given away with selected AMD cards via exclusive partners. It is said to have cost AMD between $5-8 million.

The site adds that this deal also allows DICE early access to AMD’s new Mantle tech. It’s an AMD API that is poised to challenge both OpenGL and DirectX in the market. DICE is looking to bring Mantle support to Battlefield 4 in an update this December, although a specific date has not been set. The tech is said to be faster and offer enhancements not seen in any revisions of DirectX to date.

AMD will reportedly use Battlefield 4 to showcase its new tech as part of the deal.

We’ll have more on this as it comes, but for now, what do you think?

Via MCV.

1. jakrabbit

I would like to see comparison of B4 running on mantle and DX11 Other wise there’s no point talking it up.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Droid

Oooh I’m in the market for a new card and BF4. My aging GTX260 still runs the latest games but not at the framerates I’d like so if they get some decent deals out sharpish I’d take a look at their offerings.

#2 1 year ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

@2: http://amd4u.com/radeonrewards/ < have you seen that deal?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Droid

@3 Thanks for the link. Yes I have seen it before. I don’t normally play many pc games and wasn’t interested in those ones listed but I was thinking about getting a 7970. Been waiting until BF4 came out though before I purchased one so the above info may suit me better. Cheers though.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

@4 It may be that BF4 tie-in is limited to their new flagship card, not part of the Never Settle promotion (info from the same site as this article uses.)

Remember that you could also hold on to your voucher if you bought a 7970 now. Of course, the new AMD line could jolt prices on existing cards down.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Droid

Yeah maybe. I prefer to get it all sorted at once as vouchers don’t do it for me. Will wait for the release of the game until I decide anyway. Getting closer daily. :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. sebastien rivas

It makes sense knowing Dice always pushed boundaries and envelop of GPUs, it makes sense that AMD is running for it too.

who knows, perhaps I ll be one of them.
    But please AMD, keep working at workflow and efficiency for your drivers.

Note to AMD though:
    Do you understand I had a hell of a time with Autodesk products and my V7900. Everything worked very well at the exception of Maya 2012 in some key areas would crash such as UV mapping and UV editor. I tried all available suggested ATI drivers with no better outcome until someone from AMD tech support told me, have you tried the latest WHQL? My first reaction was, what’s that WHQL. Thankfully the guy sent me the link to it.
    Now all products works well, I noticed a slight decrease in performance in Mudbox since but because my workstation roars for more then it does not matter. I still keep going in useless polycounts over 100 millions just to joke about sometimes

#7 1 year ago
  8. nollie4545

AMD just can’t make or release drivers worth a damn. Nvidia have this down pat because they have been making workstation GPUs for years.

Anyway, I have to laugh to see AMD resorting to bundling exclusive games to sell their outdated cards. Nvidias next card trick is gonna smash them into the middle of next week, and they still have no response to the 690, 780 or Titan.

#8 1 year ago
  9. sciophobiaranger

Nollie, are you seriously that dim-witted? You do not know what you are talking about. Seriously, go take a Computer Learning Course or something, because you sound so willfully ignorant!

#9 1 year ago