Batman: Arkham Origins has extra hard I Am the Night mode with permadeath

Sunday, 29th September 2013 23:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Warner Bros. Montreal has implemented a permadeath mode for Batman: Arkham Origins, which is only for the most experienced Batmen.

Speaking to Eurogamer, producer Guillaume Voghel said the new mode is called I Am the Night, and adds even greater longevity to an already lengthy game.

“The main narrative arc and side missions last about 12 hours, and then you have all the collectibles. To get 100% of that will take much, much longer,” he said.

“We have a new difficulty level, New Game Plus is coming pack – that’s really difficult – and when you’re done with that there’s I Am The Night mode – which is no saves and one life.”

The article also talks a little bit about Initiation, a piece of story DLC first detailed with the season pass announcement in which you play as Bruce Wayne.

Batman: Arkham Origins is due on PC, PlayStation 3, Wii U and Xbox 360 on October 25.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Quantum_Tangler

No saves? I hope they have some sort of quick-save functionality, then, as I don’t think most people can manage a 12+ hour game in a single sitting.

#1 10 months ago
  2. psxman

No saves? That’s just fucking stupid for a 12hr game.

When Dead Space 2 tried something like this, it at least allowed for 3 saves.

#2 10 months ago
  3. YoungZer0

So don’t play it then.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Doppleganger

LOL @3 I guess you’re one of them that has 12 hours to kill?

I guess its just a survival mode but I’m sure it wont be long until someone actually passes the game on this mode, I just hope he’s getting paid

#4 10 months ago
  5. Digital Bamboo

@1&2 12 hours for the average, first time playthrough.

I should think by the time you’re ready to attempt IATN mode you’d be able to do it in half the time, or less.

#5 10 months ago
  6. YoungZer0

@4: Nobody is forcing you to play the sidemissions.

#6 10 months ago
  7. viralshag

12 hours straight, one life and no saves? Easy.

#7 10 months ago
  8. pcbros

lol… I can only imagine the reactions of gamers when they die right at the very end.

This is probably going to be a challenge that will keep players trying over and over again, just to score mega bragging rights at Comic-Con

#8 10 months ago
  9. Quantum_Tangler

Even if this game took only a single hour to complete (probably a massive underestimation), I’d still think some sort of single-save, delete-on-load system would be very reasonable to ask for – that way, you can take a break, maybe play for five or ten minutes at a time, and still not be able to save scum.
    As it stands, I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming that they meant to say no save scumming instead of no saves, but it’s something to note, I suppose.

#9 10 months ago
  10. viralshag

Some of you are clearly not cut out to be Batman at the highest level.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Edo

Challenge accepted.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Takeshi

I think it’s pretty cool, it’s not for me though since I’ll just grab it on Hard.

#12 10 months ago
  13. THGhost

@6: You seem to be forgetting that a lot of us will want to get every achievement/trophy, so we are being forced to play the sidemissions.

#13 9 months ago