Watch Dogs on current-gen requires mandatory install, comes on two discs

Friday, 27th September 2013 15:36 GMT By Dave Owen

If you’re planning to pick up Watch Dogs on current-gen machines, prepare yourself for a mandatory install. Ubisoft has confirmed the requirement, although the size of the install has not been confirmed. The game will also ship on two discs. “It’s the same thing as GTA[5],” said creative director Jonathon Morin.

He is of course referring to the Xbox 360 version. It’s a safe assumption that it should fit on a single disc for Wii U and a single Blu-ray disc for the PlayStation 3 release.

The launch is looming, as Watch Dogs releases on current-gen consoles on November 22. As of yet, we haven’t see any footage of the current-gen version. Morin offered this comments to VideoGamer: “It looks pretty good.”

1. VibraniumSpork

#1 1 year ago
  2. Francis O

“It’s a safe assumption to make that it’ll be the same on Wii U, whereas it should fit on a single Blu-ray disc for the PlayStation 3 release.”

- It’s sad that a video game journalist doesn’t even know the size of the Wii U’s custom Blue-Ray discs.

Dave, the Wii U has just as much space as the PS3 disc. There are currently no games that require to be installed on the Wii U because the disk speed is more than 3x faster than the PS3 and Xbox 360 disc speed.

The Wii U will not require a mandatory install, I can assure you this.

#2 1 year ago
  3. VibraniumSpork

@2 Point delivered not so much like a boss, but rather like a truly condescending asshole. So +1 and -1 I guess…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

I don’t think you of all people should be condescending about not knowing stuff, when you don’t know about one thing (Gamefreak) and don’t know how to use words in the real life: makes you a hypocrite.

Wait! A Nintendo fanboy hypocrite.

Its his style ;)

#4 1 year ago
  5. Francis O

Exactly how am I being an asshole? I just said its sad a gaming journalist doesn’t even take the time to research the disc size before he posts a story.

He just assumes it will be the same. That is not the work of a JOURNALIST. Misinforming the readers based on his own laziness and me calling him out for it is not being an asshole.

And here comes my stalker, Legendarynolife

A Nintendo fanboy hypocrite? While I own all systems and play all games. You’re the fanboy here.

#5 1 year ago
  6. VibraniumSpork

@5 True, but ’twas the tone rather then the content:

“It’s sad that a video game journalist doesn’t even know…”

“Dave, the Wii U has…”

“… I can assure you this.”

Icky, icky, icky. Jus’ sayin’.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DrDamn

@Francis O
    “Wii U because the disk speed is more than 3x faster than the PS3 and Xbox 360 disc speed”

What are those 3 disc speeds you are comparing? I thought it was WiiU 22.5MB/s. PS3 is 9MB/s and 360 a max of 15.85 MB/s but not for all data. Where does “more than 3x faster” come into that?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

I think you mean stalker? WTF is a stocker, i don’t put shares in Francis in that world of yours :D and I stalk What? Do i lurk in the VG247 shadows watching your every comment? No but feel free to disagree but it will still be an opinion unproven like usual :) Not a single fuck was given about your personal attacks.

Owning all systems and passionately defending Nintendo on every negative remark, attacking a mistake by Dave and attacking people who don’t agree with you etc. Those are two different things. As for the hypocrite: your attacking Dave for not knowing something while you clearly haven’t researched Gamefreak NOT being owned by Nintendo: thats the hypocrisy.

I’m the fanboy? Using this word four times now: Prove it and while your at it prove i’m Nintendo hater, another thing in a long list you can’t prove.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Francis O

Nothing you listed I said was being an asshole.

@Dr Damn

- Mybad on the disc speed, I was more comparing it to the PS3′s 9mb than the Xbox 360 MS of 15.85. I messed up on that one.

But One of the reasons why the Wii U doesn’t install is because the disc drive is faster. No Wii U games have a mandatory install. Why would Watch Dogs?

Legendarynolife

- I didn’t attack Dave, I called him out for misinforming readers when he’s supposed to be a professional journalist. Its not a mistake he was too lazy to research disc size. He just assumed.

Nintendo owns the Pokemon Company, therefore they own GameFreak.

Like I said, calling me a fanboy is a cop out, we all know you’re the fanboy, here. You defend the Vita like you made the damn thing. Get a life loser.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

22.5 is still only more than 2x :). 360 averages at close to PS3 speeds when looking at the whole disc.

Does the WiiU drive have better seek speeds than the PS3? That is a lot more of the issue than read speeds. Read speeds are at least consistent. Seek speeds are a load of shit on the PS3 blu-ray drives though.

#10 1 year ago
  11. VibraniumSpork

@9 http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/yeah_ok.gif

#11 1 year ago
  12. PEYJ

Isn’t the WiiU disc a 25 GB and the PS3 a duallayer (thus 50GB) disc?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dave Owen

@Francis O I can eat humble pie on this one, I made a mistake. I read in a similar news post that it was likely to be double-disc on Wii U, so took that without looking into it further. I’m not much of an expert on Wii U at all, unfortunately.

#13 1 year ago
  14. VibraniumSpork

…guess that settles that… *breathes sigh of relief, begins removing nails from baseball bat*

#14 1 year ago
  15. Lengendaryboss

“Its sad that a video game journalist doesn’t know…” “Lazy to research” I think that classic reading comprehension is failing you :P

Thats not how owning works, The Pokemon company is in charge of marketing and other stuff. Please i want to see a link where it says Gamefreak are owned by anyone, because last i checked they aren’t. Offical not Francis land proof ;)

Oh yes i defend PS Vita, saying it has a poor upcoming lineup, saying it doesn’t have third support people want, saying it doesn’t get marketed and saying i don’t like remote play being a killer app. End of sarcasm. There’s a difference between defending and re-stating whats already said. The difference is i know when to criticize a product and its owners on their failures a concept that doesn’t compute in Francis Nintendo land :D Get a life? I have one its called real life i don’t use virtual life to boast popularity.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Francis O

@Legendarynolife –

Nintendo owns The Pokemon Company, Gamefreak is a division of The Pokemon Company. Therefore Nintendo owns GameFreak. And they are not a second party developer like you said they were.

You’re the fanboy here. I play all games and all systems, unlike you.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

Yeah i said i want proof not Nintendo Francis world proof.

Play all systems? Again how the fuck would you know? Oh wait speaking out of your ass like usual.

Edit: At best Nintendo own 53% of them, but they are still not owned fully not first party. Amazing everything your saying isn’t proven or true.

#17 1 year ago
  18. fearmonkey

I find unbelievable that Dave gets called out for such an easy mistake to make. Who are YOU that you feel the right to call out others for their mistakes.

I get so tired of people thinking it’s their job in life to chastise and correct people who work on a gaming site like this. When your doing all that they do, it’s easy to make a mistake here and there, or simply don’t know everything. If you HAVE to correct them, do it nicely please.
    We all know your a Nintendo fanboy Francis, but don’t be snide or rude please.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Francis O

Legendarynolife

Nintendo owns 53% of the company, that would make them the majority owner you idiot.

PSN: BulldogPride32
    Xbox Live: Realistic OJ32

You can check out my profiles if you don’t believe me. Yet you comment on the Wii U all the time without even playing it.

I do, do what Dave does. I’ve had users call me out in the same way. Which wasn’t even that bad to begin with. Everybody is just overly sensitive on this site.

And calling me a fanboy is just a cop out. I got all systems and play all games.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Hcw87

A Nintendo arguement.

Kinda like arguing about who’s got the best looking turd after a toilet break.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

I’m really starting to believe you have selective memory. Oh so we went from Gamefreak are owned via Nintendo via The Pokemon company to my 53% percentage ownage, if you did your research (ironic) You would know what First/Second/Third party developer means.

Idiot? you were the one who said they were owned now your saying Majority owner. I never knew Majority owner meant flat out owned. They are still second party.

Last sentence see @8 Owning…
    I have told you i have played Wii U (Selective Memory) either way i do what i want #Deal With It.

#21 1 year ago
  22. fearmonkey

Francis – I rarely use the term fanboy myself. but you are pretty much on every Nintendo thread defending the Wii-u.

That is perfectly fine, and I think the Wii-u gets alot of grief it doesn’t deserve and so I can understand a bit. I am just saying your love and enthusiasm for Nintendo over all others is obvious, whether you own all the systems or not.

Where I draw the line is calling out staff and being rude about it, there is simply no need for it. I know you have a website and I would think because yourself endure the stupid attacks like that, you would hold back on the negativity

Dave, Steph and the others do a fine job.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Francis O

Sorry if it sounded rude, but I wasn’t trying to be. But this is the same staff who said that the Watch Dogs app takes the dual screen experience further than the Wii U, yet that same person doesn’t even like or play Wii U games.

- Like I said, calling me a fanboy is a cop out. I can defend whatever I want. That doesn’t make me a fanboy. I defended the Xbox 360 just as much earlier in this generation, does that make me a Xbox fanboy too?

Nintendo is the majority owner of Gamefreak, therefore they own them. Gamefreak isn’t making any games for the Sony, MS, or any other company.

Its funny, that turd you’re referring to has billions of dollars in the bank and currently has the best selling gaming device in the world with the 3DS.

#23 1 year ago
  24. yeoung

@ Francis O; I’ve written for a dutch gaming site (the big one), an international one, and currently I write for Eye for Games magazine. It’s safe to say I know a little something about the world of writing/gaming.

Though yes, admittedly Dave fumbled a bit with an assumption (it happens), equating gaming press to journalism is a bit of a stretch, honestly. Sure you can have hard-hitting pieces, ground breaking expositions and in-depth interviews, but they are hardly the norm on VG247. Perhaps Gamasutra better suits your needs. I, like many gaming afficionados use multiple sites, each for different reasons.

For no nonsense press updates, gamespress.com, for comparisons and technical insight (and puns), DF on Eurogamer, for collegues, indiedev forum and for completely asinine comments sections and an abundance of self-serving videos, ign.

A place for everything.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Lengendaryboss

Okay forget it you don’t know what second party is, you think not making games for other platforms and 53% ownage is full-on owned; so this discussion is going no where.

#25 1 year ago
  26. yeoung

Addendum; Games journalism is an amalgam of re-writing pr statements objectively, scavenging and linking, hitting up press releases, and firing out questions to devs and pubs that 9/10 times get ignored.

Dave Cook isn’t staking out in Kojima’s backyard trying to get the skinny on whether or not animals were hurt in the production of MGS5. Steph probably doesn’t sift through Level 5′s dumpsters trying to get a scoop on their next game either.

(you were right to point out Dave’s mess-up though, misinformation is uncool)

#26 1 year ago
  27. Francis O

@25 – Legendarynolife

And lets forget that you said there is no way to prove I play all systems and games, then I post my PSN and XBL Gamertag…..and you ignore it.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Lengendaryboss

I never asked you for proof on systems, selective memory. I never even said that.

End of discussion.

But Its convenient i ask for proof its ignored, but when YOU think i asked for proof you go onto to prove.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Francis O

Legendaryfail

OMG, stop stalking me then… Lets agree to ignore each other then.

#29 1 year ago
  30. yeoung

[insert homer backing into hedge gif]

#30 1 year ago
  31. game_on

Alright, then the Wii U version it will be. I ran out of space on my tiny Xbox drive long ago, already swapping several USB sticks.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Lengendaryboss

@Yeoung
    Here you go: http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

#32 1 year ago