SteamOS developed in collaboration with Nvidia

Thursday, 26th September 2013 02:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Nvidia might not be interested in next-gen consoles, but it’s intimately involved with Valve’s new plans for SteamOS and associated hardware.

In a blog post, Nvidia’s Mark Smith said the PC hardware company has been working with Valve behind the scenes on SteamOS.

“Engineers from Valve and Nvidia have spent a lot of time collaborating on a common goal for SteamOS: to deliver an open-platform gaming experience with superior performance and uncompromising visuals directly on the big screen,” he wrote.

“NVIDIA engineers embedded at Valve collaborated on improving driver performance for OpenGL; optimizing performance on NVIDIA GPUs; and helping to port Valve’s award-winning content library to SteamOS; and tuning SteamOS to lower latency, or lag, between the controller and onscreen action. The collaboration makes sense as both companies strongly believe in the importance of open-platform innovation, and both companies are committed to providing gamers with a cutting-edge visual experience.”

It’s not clear if the collaboration extends to working the hardware prototypes that Valve will be sending to beta testers soon – but recent rumours suggest Valve’s Friday reveal will detail the hardware, and makes mention of Nvidia tech.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. LordSkyline

Explains why Nvidia in general wants to invest more into Linux drivers

#1 1 year ago
  2. Diingo

Nvidia thrives on the PC market… but as Microsoft drives itself off the cliff they too are threatened alongside Valve. Linux is the future of personal computers.

#2 1 year ago
  3. pcbros

Great partnership! Explains Nvidia’s recent “friendship” with Linux.

“… to deliver an open-platform gaming experience with superior performance and uncompromising visuals directly on the big screen”

Looking forward to seeing the results. The SteamOS supposedly offers a “significant” performance increase. So that would equal less raw power needed. Which in turn, equals less expensive hardware.

“NVIDIA engineers embedded at Valve… helping to port Valve’s award-winning content library to SteamOS”

Can’t wait to see what games cross the Microsoft borders and onto the Linux promise land! :D

#3 1 year ago
  4. Sanwiches

:p words like ‘award-winning’, ‘cutting-edge’, ‘innovative’, blah blah blah. Goddamn I’m tired of them.

I mean, guys like Mark Smith are paid to write that kind of stuff. It’s uninteresting to read. These dammed words are noise that does nothing to help communicate the message.

I hope that speaking to them isn’t the same experience than reading their articles.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Gekidami

“helping to port Valve’s award-winning content library to SteamOS”
    Whats that, like, 5 games that arent older than the current century? Valve really dont make that many games, they barely seem to be able to get one out a year. That statement is hilariously empty and meaningless.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Mike W

Hmmmmmm….interesting. Maybe the SteamOS will save Nvidia’s shield or maybe their making a whole new console all together.

Good point, valve has shown us nothing this whole week and yet a good percent of the gaming community is all excited for some strange reason.

Now don’t get me wrong I’m intrigued by the SteamOS, but that is where it stops. The multiple hardware is so confusing and now that they’re working with Nvidia you can bet it’s going to cost a pretty penny.

#6 1 year ago
  7. viralshag

@6, Agreed. As far as announcements go I have no idea what to expect from this really and all the comments sections of late seem to be purely speculation and guess work. It seems a bit all over the place.

I think I understand the OS but multiple levels of hardware? None of this sounds like something I would bother getting as my current PC set up lets me play on my TV anyway thanks to Steam BP, a HDMI cable and a controller.

#7 1 year ago
  8. TheWulf

The difference is is that whilst the majority of mainstream games are incredibly forgettable, the Valve library contains some pretty interesting stuff which is being played on a regular basis. I played Portal 2′s co-op (again) not so long ago, because it just doesn’t get old.

And with the Steam Workshop, there’s always going to be new and interesting content available for it. Honestly, having something like Portal 2 on Linux with full Workshop support would be amazing for those who have to use the OS for whatever reason. (If Portal 2 hasn’t been fully ported already, that is.)

So, yeah, whilst they don’t knock out a game a year (yay, franchise diarrhoea, so appealing), the games they do make are actually quite good.

#8 1 year ago
  9. TheWulf

The Steambox project is aimed at people who’re stuck in outdated mindsets in regards to what a PC is, and that’s a lot of people. They can’t see a PC as a gaming machine, let alone one that would give them so many more gaming options (like mods, open source stuff, freeware, indie titles, gamejam stuff, emulation, and so on, and so on).

If you understand why a PC has many strengths as a gaming platform, then that’s good for you, but not everyone does. And then there’s the ‘ERMAHGERD, GAMING ON A COMPUTER IS DYING’ lark that’s been going on since around the mid-to-late ’90s (or even earlier if you count home computers). Of course, the PC is doing better than ever, but try telling some people that.

So they’re doing this to appeal to those people, who don’t know b from bull’s foot about gaming outside of the console world.

#9 1 year ago
  10. viralshag

@9, I’m afraid I disagree. To your average joe consumer it doesn’t seem like it will get that much easier.

Multiple levels of hardware and different manufacturers? You still need a PC to stream the games from? Dual booting into a different OS?

Obviously, there needs to be more information about it all but I’m just not seeing how this will entice people away from consoles. I don’t think it will even do that.

And I don’t think you can write console owners off as people that lack knowledge about gaming on the PC. I game on the PC, I know what the advantages are. I would still get a console because I know the PC misses out on some great titles.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Mike W

I agree, I game on the consoles and the PC and I will never understand the digital hatred the PC players have towards the console players.

The issue with all of these announcements that Valve has made this week, is that they have not been properly explained. For example, why do I need a steambox if I already have a monster rig of a PC that I already have hooked up to my big screen TV.

I already have a controller and I already use BP. Shouldn’t I be able to download this free SteamOS and patiently wait for these so called triple A games that supposedly coming to Steam?

Or am I missing the big picture here? (No pun intended)

#11 1 year ago
  12. Kreion

My problem with the SteamOS is that the main reason I game on my computer, is that I can do other things at the same time. Or If I want to stop lpaying a game I can open up another program and do some work etc. I don’t see how I’d be able to do things like that on a system designed only for gaming, since it’s not going to support half the stuff I use. Sure I could dual boot, but I really don’t want to go through that extra hassle to get some vague performance boost.

Plus in lie of this announcement I don’t see why the SteamBoxes will stay any more up to date in terms of hardware than anything else – It’s in Nvidea’s best interest for you to buy more graphics cards as they release them, not hang around on old tech. And then there’s the fact that of Nvidea and AMD, the former has always leaned towards the more expensive cards…

We’ll see, but I’m really not sold on this yet xD

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dreizu

Personally, I’m excited for Valve’s and Nvidia’s partnership. I think that a lot of people don’t get The Big Picture here (sorry for the pun). SteamOS is based on Linux, which is a huge plus since there’s room for more than just gaming on it. It’s also hackable. If you have a beast of a gaming PC, you don’t need to buy a Steam Machine. The Steam Machines are to ease non PC gamers into a more familiar console-like experience. It’s not a console though. It’s basically what consoles should be; upgradeable and open source.

#13 1 year ago