Miyamoto no longer leading key Nintendo franchises, but still has ‘final responsibility’

Wednesday, 25th September 2013 14:43 GMT By Dave Owen

It’s no secret that Shigeru Miyamoto’s role within Nintendo has changed over the years. In a new interview, Miyamoto-san has outlined how he no longer plays quite such an in-depth role in key franchises in order to nurture new talent at the company, but he still has the final say.

Interviewed in the 100th issue of Official Nintendo Magazine, Miyamoto-san talks about how a series of trusted producers are taking key Nintendo franchises forward, while he oversees their progress.

“As you saw at our presentation at E3, Mr Aonuma chased me off stage… he doesn’t need me any more!” says Miyamoto-san. “The final responsibility for the title still comes down to me and I’m still involved in the games, but I’m definitely able to leave the series up to him in a way.

“I don’t have to look at every minute detail of every game any more. I know there’s going to be the level of quality that we expect under his supervision.”

He adds, “Similarly we have Koizumi-san, who’s the producer or the Mario series and it’s the same type of situation. And certainly Konno-san with Mario Kart, too. And Mr Eguchi, producer of the Animal Crossing series. These are the main producers that we’ve trained who are talented enough and we can allow them to oversee the project and manage all the details and still maintain the Nintendo level of quality.”

It’s a process that seems to be working, as recent Nintendo offerings have been well-received. Animal Crossing: New Leaf on Nintendo 3DS has shifted well over 5 million units worldwide. Although it’s difficult to imagine Nintendo without Miyamoto, these would certainly appear to be the first steps for preparing for his eventual retirement.

The 100th issue of Official Nintendo Magazine is available now.

Thanks, Nintendo Life.

1. monkeygourmet

I can’t imagine what his new IP is going to be…

Whats his latest hobby? That always seems to dictate his latest idea’s…

Gardening – Pikmin
    Banjo – Wii Music
    Measuring Things with a tape measure – Half Life 3 confirmed

#1 10 months ago
  2. Sini

well he is old, so it’s going to be some feel good bullshit again, although I can’t for the life of me imagine he can come up with a game even worse than wii music. Molyneux was close with that cube poking, old farts.
    i also fully expect nintendo to be done in home console space before he retires.

#2 10 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

“Well he is old, so it’s going to be some feel good bullshit again”

Yeah, I hope he makes something cool with guns / violence and a dark storyline so mature people can like it.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Sini

No, he will make some stupid casual crap like holding a controller and pretend you play the music itself, in shit midi quality.
    He wishes he could come up with something like gta though.

#4 10 months ago
  5. mistermogul

@4 – I think your sarcastic detector has stopped working!

#5 10 months ago
  6. Mike W

I’m kind of glad he’s taking a step back from some of the key Nintendo franchises. The reality of it all is that Nintendo needs to realize that a lot of their fanbase is growing up and they need to start making titles that appeal to their mature audience.

#6 10 months ago
  7. selderane

The Japanese honorific “-san” has no meaning in English. I don’t understand why editors let their writers keep using it. It’s “Mr. Miyamoto,” not “Miyamoto-san.”

To borrow a phrase from “Tropic Thunder:” You’re Australian, speak Australian!

#7 10 months ago
  8. Professor Zoom

He should be fired…

#8 10 months ago
  9. MrWaffles

Let’s get Miyamoto into doing coke… and get Pikmon the same treatmen as Conquer’s bad fur day.

I’d buy two Wii Us to play that

#9 10 months ago
  10. The_Red

Hopefully the classic franchises can finally move on then. The guy is truly talented but pretty much everything that he has been touching over the last 10-15 years felt kinda old to me (Albeit expertly made like Super Mario Galaxy).

#10 10 months ago
  11. Dragon246

He has lost his touch imo. Neither of ninty franchises inspire like their predecessors. Hopefully new guys can instill freshness on these worn out and milked to death franchises.
    Or better, make some new IPs ffs.

#11 10 months ago