Battlefield 4: next-gen consoles make it ‘even easier’ to offer updates

Wednesday, 25th September 2013 15:11 GMT By Dave Owen

Battlefield 4′s multiplayer beta is coming very soon, and DICE has been keen to talk about how the game will cope with being released on both current and next-gen consoles. One of the biggest differences is that it’ll far easier on next-gen for players to get hold of the latest updates. The idea is to offer an “ongoing service.”

“People won’t have to struggle so much getting updates,” says executive producer Patrick Bach. “We can just push it out to them and the game is as good as it can be.”

The main advantage on next-gen is that consoles will be able to download updates and patches while the system is on standby. They should also be able to make faster work of it too.

This is good news for PC gamers, as their version of the game won’t be quite so hobbled by a need to keep it within reach of consoles.

“We want to get feedback not only from the beta but also from the actual game when it’s out on the market,” says Bach. “We have a history of following up with a game for months and months after its release. So to us it’s an ongoing service.”

Thanks, PCGamesN

1. monkeygourmet

I’d rather they show me footage of 1080p / 60fps BF4 on next gen rather than hearing how they can nickle and dime me easier than ever before.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Xbone

pretty sure they STILL WORKING to accomplish that.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Llewelyn_MT

How this affects PC exactly? They could just use Steam and have zero problems with updates. Instead they have their half-assed rip off called Origin, that doesn’t update at all and has no preloading. That’s the only reason I won’t be able to join the beta on October 1st because it won’t download it in time. Piece of crap. I didn’t pay for Battlefield 3 for that very reason and I won’t be Getting Battlefield 4 anytime soon.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Arcnail

Basically meaning easier to add DLC, which while I’m not a huge fan, it’s here to stay.

I work with an ex BioWare developer here, and he was saying lots of places make almost nothing off the initial game, its the DLC’s they offer that brings in the real profit.

#4 11 months ago
  5. sebastien rivas

To be honest this DOES NOT sound reassuring at all.
    My question is why should I buy a full price game at launch with clunky gameplay and wait for my X1 or PS4 download updates.

Sure this system is great and better for DLC contents but struggle again like in BF3 with gameplay adjustments and heavy re-evaluation of gun mechanics every so often was a real let down that made me ponder and wonder if they knew what they were doing in first place. Lots of changes were just way too dramatic and some were so from outer space that in the end it inhibited gameplay itself (sniper shorter see sighting with an X12 scope for example was a real ponder in effectiveness unless a player just hammered everyone because s/he was cheating in first place).

#5 11 months ago
  6. torjs99

two months until launch and still no xboner or ps4 footage.

is there something they aren’t telling us?

#6 11 months ago