Destiny creative director and writer leaves Bungie

Tuesday, 24th September 2013 23:09 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Long-serving Bungie writer Joe Staten has parted ways with the developer.

Staten’s departure was announced in an update to the Bungie website, where he gave no explanation for the move beyond a desire for new challenges.

“After 15 great years at Bungie, from the battlefields of Myth to the mysteries of Halo and beyond, I’m leaving to tackle new creative challenges. While this may come as a surprise, fear not,” Staten wrote.

“It’s been my pleasure building Destiny these past four years, and after the big reveal this Summer, our hugely talented team is on track for greatness. I’ll be cheering all of them, with all of you, when the game launches next year. Thank you for your support of me, and your continued support of Bungie. We couldn’t have done it without you.”

Joe or Joseph Staten joined Bungie in 1998 and worked on Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and Halo 3, and wrote novel Halo: Contact Harvest.

Destiny, a shared-worlds shooter, is coming to PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in 2014.

1. DSB

Kickstarter in 3, 2, 1….

Bungie made Myth?! How did I never realize that? And why the hell haven’t they revived it?

Mind: Blown.

#1 10 months ago
  2. adam-22

wow i had high hopes for Destiny i think its going downhill from now unless he was not a great influence in the game development wishes wishes wishes

#2 10 months ago
  3. Phoenixblight

Yeah this isn’t good news for a creative director to bounce mid-production. Creative director is as high as you go for the game development who controls everything about the game besides the studio owner and then publishers of course. Would be like Kevin Levine leaving Irrational.

#3 10 months ago
  4. fengato

Didn’t like his work much (he was mostly responsible for ODST), and I found him to be slightly annoying. His involvement in Destiny had me concerned.

Time to bring back Marcus Lehto…

#4 10 months ago
  5. Paranormal Pett

I don’t think it will be that much of an issue him living now. He’s helped worked on destiny for four years. Now with a year left before launch, or the finer details are in place, story in place etc etc. It’s up to the teams to make it pretty, test for bugs and what ever else they do in the last year. Still, it’s big loss for bungie. I really liked his work and they way he handled himself on stage.

#5 10 months ago