Xbox One video capture shareable over Xbox Live only at launch, YouTube & Facebook by 2014

Monday, 23rd September 2013 11:40 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One’s DVR functionality will be shareable over Xbox Live only come the console’s launch, with YouTube and Facebook sharing set to follow by next year, according to Microsoft’s Albert Penello.

While demonstrating the Xbox One’s interface to Destructoid, Penello is reported to have stated that captured videos will not be shareable beyond Xbox Live, but the site added that he said he hoped to see YouTube and Facebook sharing implemented ‘by next year’.

Destructoid added that game capture was quick and that a 30 second clip was saved in 720p almost instantly using a simple voice-activated command over Kinect.

Meanwhile, PS4′s video sharing is nowsaid to allow capture cards over HDMI, contrary to initial claims that HDCP measure would block such activity. It’s still unclear how this would work, seeing as the console has no AV component jack, but we’re waiting for clarity on the matter.

What do you make of the above?

Via NeoGAF.

1. Xbone

Well… that is one more feature they dont have time to finish because they need to rush out the unfinished console. I add this to my long list.

“but the site added that he said he hoped to see YouTube and Facebook sharing implemented ‘by next year’. ”

Hope? lol. its a no then.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DrDamn

Personally I’d like to use this within my own network of friends and keep the community within the console community itself. I can see why sharing to YouTube/Facebook is important though. Does PS4 only do external sharing, or can you chose to share only within PSN?

#2 1 year ago
  3. VibraniumSpork

Welp, Sony seem to be having similar issues anyway with regards to Youtube:

No such problems with Facebook though…Jesus Christ, MS are primarily a software company, how could this be so overlooked/undeveloped at this stage of the game? Where the flip are they expecting you want to post your videos – your Bing social page? LOL

#3 1 year ago
  4. SupaKupaKang

@DrDamn PS4 will let you Share & Upload your gameplay Video’s through PSN & Facebook AT LAUNCH, Youtube functionality will probably be added next year

#4 1 year ago
  5. ShiiRo

@3 That story is false in regards to Youtube. Sony has mentioned Youtube uploads at various events and Mark Cerny even mentioned it on Jimmy Fallon

#5 1 year ago
  6. VibraniumSpork

@5 Awesome! http://media3.giphy.com/media/WKdPOVCG5LPaM/original.gif

#6 1 year ago
  7. DrDamn

Yeah that was specifically about capturing the HDMI output onto an external device, not the share functionality. Even that is being addressed.

Thanks. I loathe Facebook, so will never touch that. PSN & YouTube is fine though.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Tech-N9ne

I doubt not having Youtube or Facebook at launch is technical or time thing, I could add this in a few minutes using the Youtube or the Facebook APIs.

I think giving that X1 is going to have its own video sharing service for game video, with each user and game having its own channel, what other way to develop the community other than having this as the only service at launch, why make money for Google or Facebook (Of-course they are gonna have Ads on there).

#8 1 year ago
  9. VibraniumSpork

@8 Great point. Thought that strikes me as one way that Microsoft have a certain disadvantage compared to Sony; they have this OS ecosystem that they’re keen for you to subscribe to in opposition to Google, FB etc. Sony have no such concerns and are therefore a bit more open to spreading the love, as it were.

Alas, after my experience with Windows Phone I’m not keen on having anything to do with said ecosystem.

#9 1 year ago
  10. gomersoul

That’s the point, Microsoft doesn’t really want to give ground to competitors, they want to own the world instead of realising it’s not possible if you don’t create these great businesses first. YouTube is too big to take on, as is Facebook. Might aswell join em if you can’t beat em. Here’s hoping for chrome on ps4 and full support from large software companies. They had to swallow supporting blu ray even though they told us hard formats won’t matter. You have to fully install your games because they’ve gone for the same drive the ps3 has which isn’t fast enough for next gen straight from disc, whereas ps4 has one 3x faster so will make my 500gb go a bit further. Their reluctance to partner with rivals will ultimately harm xboxone sales

#10 1 year ago
  11. G1GAHURTZ

Regarding YouTube: http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/15/google-blocks-windows-phone-youtube-app-again/

Don’t care about Facebook…

Anyway, there still remains the option to use a dedicated capture card like people have been doing for years. Not only can you capture in 1080, but there are no time limits.

#11 1 year ago
  12. VibraniumSpork

@11 Dang, that article’s juicy; the big boys got beef ^_^

Even though you *could* still output the captured video to another device though, that greatly reduces the point of the whole ‘in-built capture’ functionality though right? It’s supposed to make sharing easier, not just make it into a different set of problems.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Tech-N9ne

@9 @10

I don’t think they are trying to compete with YouTube but rather develop the X1′s game vids sharing community. Game DVR is suppose to be integral to game discoverability, XB1 game help videos and a bunch of social things on X1. All these stuff will suffer if people just upload their vids to Youtube and Facebook, where MS have no control on aggregating, searching nor using these vids (inserting ads) within the X1 services.

The way I see it this is smart move, am sure if people really wanna get their vids on Youtube is not gonna be that difficult.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ekona

Does it matter? Are people really that keen to upload videos to social network sites? I genuinely cannot see a use for this at all, barring those monotonous fools who post ZOMG WALL HACK GLITCH IN COD LOLZ videos.

I’d rather they spent their time elsewhere than worry about a crappy feature like this.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DrDamn

Do you see the point in watching replays? Do you play online with friends? Combine the two and you’ve already got a powerful reason for why these are important features.

#15 1 year ago
  16. VibraniumSpork

@13 + @15

“I think discoverability is important outside the internal communities too though. As is flexibility in where you as a viewer can see these things.” – +1,000,000 ^_^

#16 1 year ago
  17. Ekona

No, and no. If we were talking about 10 to 20 minute clips that could be used to show someone how to get past a difficult section then I totally get it, but 30 secs? Seems utterly pointless to me, but then I guess I’m not target market for this feature.

What kind of replay would it be used for? Again, it falls back to the usual CoD/FIFA crowd, which is an area that people don’t seem to have an issue with putting awful repetitive clips on line right now anyway.

#17 1 year ago
  18. DrDamn

It’s not limited to 30 seconds – that’s the voice operated stuff Kinect can help save off without needing to press a button or interrupt your game (an actual bona fide useful thing Kinect can do). Both systems can do a lot longer. PS4 is constantly recording the last 15 minutes, X1 something similar, nothing to indicate this isn’t configurable to be longer either.

#18 1 year ago
  19. G1GAHURTZ

@12:

“If I get a ridonkulous head-shot, I just want to hit a button and squirt that ish onto Facebook or Youtube, simple as.”

Yeah, for sure.

But you can already do that in CoD, anyway… I wouldn’t be surprised if more games started using their own upload systems like CoD does next gen, too.

#19 1 year ago
  20. bradk825

Personally sharing with friends is mostly why I would use the feature, but some friends will still be on XB360 so I am hoping the youtube option will come to fruition.

I don’t really care about the rest of internet finding my stuff, but I would like to show off to my friends when I pull off a perfect bump and run (that’s a racing thing, not a sex thing).

#20 1 year ago