UK charts: GTA 5 enters at one, PES 2014 in at two

Monday, 23rd September 2013 08:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Grand Theft Auto 5 has steam-rolled its way to the top of the UK charts in its first week, and has pulled in staggering sales. Get the full run-down here.

It’s little wonder that Rockstar North’s sprawling experience has bested the competition, seeing as it has already generated over $1 billion in worldwide sales since it launched September 17.

In it’s first day on sale in the UK, GTA 5 sold 1.57 million units, netting £65 million. It now holds the UK record for fastest selling game ever released, beating Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 to the punch. By comparison, Treyarch’s shooter shifted 1.41 million units and generated £58 million in its first day on sale November 9, 2012.

Here is this week’s UK top ten:

1. Grand Theft Auto V – Rockstar
2. Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 – Konami
3. The Last of Us – Sony
4. Saints Row IV – Deep Silver
5. Splinter Cell: Blacklist – Ubisoft
6. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition – Microsoft
7. Diablo III – Blizzard
8. Disney Infinity – Disney
9. Aliens: Colonial Marines – Sega
10. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix – Square Enix

1. Clupula

I’d say up until whenever and whatever the next COD is, we might as well not even have the list anymore, because we all know GTA V will be at the top of it for the conceivable future.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Francis O

Aliens Colonial Marines……

#2 10 months ago
  3. pukem0n

am i the only one around here who isn’t blown away by GTA V and doesn’t think it’s the greatest game of all time?

#3 10 months ago
  4. tezzer1985

The Last of Us, is still selling well, nice to see a Playstation title do well in the charts.

#4 10 months ago
  5. nikk900

@2 Aliens is practically given away when you buy other games at most shops, so it’s no surprise it’s on the list.

#5 10 months ago
  6. TheWulf

It’s like reality TV or the Titanic. Of course it’s not particularly great, but it has popular appeal. If Pan’s Labyrinth does worse, financially, than the Titanic, does that mean that it’s objectively a worse film than the Titanic?

The Slenderman titles have been some of the most watched videos on Youtube, they’re tremendously popular. Does this mean that Slenderman is one of the greatest gaming experiences of all time? I wouldn’t think so. And that’s what you have to look at, here. There are unfortunately people around who love Slenderman, the Titanic, reality TV, and GTA V.

It’s easy to understand schlock entertainment.

I’ve pointed this out before, but even Saints Row IV has a barrier of entry because it’s not contemporary. Remember the Saints of Rage parody and all of the ridiculous effort they put into making that spectacular? That’s something that someone only a couple of decades old wouldn’t get, because it was before their time.

But GTA V is easy to understand. If you remove the barrier of entry, then you’ll have more and more people raving about it.

I’ve had people tell me how great reality TV is because this person ate kangaroo balls on telly. They just want to see people doing awful things in this reality of ours, that’s their thing. That’s not my thing. I play games for escapism, so the further they go from reality, the happier I am. I’m not a fan of games which are anally retentive about remaking reality, with the only difference being that some people might be doing horrible things in it. That’s not my particular cup of tea.

I’d rather be a peculiar super hero, or be a badger, or a modular data-robot, or a troll decker, or an aquatic rhythm god. That’s just me, I suppose, in that I have an imagination, and as such I have a mind that craves novelty. I watched a video of GTA V and fell asleep twice. I’d bet that if you were to do a scientific evaluation of this with, say, a few hundred people, checking their base creativity and their interests in games, you’d find a correlation.

The less imaginative a person is, the more boring and reality-based their taste in games is. I could make a case for this, and start naming tremendously creative people and asking if their favourite game would be one of the Grand Theft Auto titles; it wouldn’t fit, because when you think of such a person, you can’t imagine them doing something so mind-bogglingly dull.

It’s fine for some people, I suppose. But I can’t understand how they can handle how boring it is. Like I said, I watched some of it on Youtube and I just wasn’t impressed. If I’d bought it, I’d honestly have trouble not feeling a little ill.

Even looking at the car customisation, it just feels sterile and devoid of fun. I remember customising a pink Emu car in Saints Row IV. It was candy-coloured and had a dragon decal emblazoned all over it, and it had neon glowies out the wazoo. That’s about as far as my interest in cars goes, because it was so hilariously tacky. It was like the tacky Christmas sweater of cars. Brilliant, honestly.

Yet I look at GTA and it’s just got this completely sterile approach to customisation, a very real world approach, and I’m just not impressed. So GTA doesn’t even do cars as well as Saints Row, from where I sit.

But different games for different people. Just like some people prefer Stargate, and other people prefer reality TV.

I say give me Stargate any day.

But reality TV is never going to stop being popular, regardless of how brain-meltingly awful it is as entertainment. And it’s just so easy to make too that you can just phone it in.

Edit: So, I’ve actually been looking around for something that explains my frustrations better than I could.

I think this does it well.

Creative people just intrinsically think in different ways to other people, and often they crave the ridiculous and the dreamlike. In fact, what might be heaven to a creative person, would indubitably be hell to a person who lacks that quality; the inverse is, of course, equally true.

So I’m drawn to things that express themselves differently. These artefacts of novelty are inspirational in their own ways. Understand that it doesn’t really matter whether they invoke a very deep emotional insight, or just provoke glee through how utterly barmy they are. It’s just the unusual is a mental aphrodisiac for the creatively minded.

And I see what, to me, is a painfully obvious divide between types of people. Those who aren’t inherently creative thinkers, because their brains just don’t work that way, are drawn to reality. In other words, the kinds of games they like mimic their own environment. If a person lacks base imagination, and I worry that most people do, then the thing they crave first and foremost is familiarity. Familiarity brings the comfort of sameness.

Whereas to a more imaginative person, it feels phoned in, dead, soulless, and devoid of passion. It’ll be tossed aside in favour of an experience which will show them something at least marginally new and clever.

I feel, personally, that intellectuality is tied into creativity on some levels as well. It’s worth noting that science is imagination, for example, because every scientific theory starts off with a batshit feverdream that someone had, that’s the nature of it. Fringe science even is often scoffed at, but has a worrying tendency to turn out to be very accurate.

So here’s another angle for my love of Saints Row IV over GTA V. GTA V is just an exercise in reality, and that’s that. Whereas SR IV appeals to my intrigue with various scientific topics, like reality as a simulation; transhumanism; and what changes about our nature when we can edit ourselves (essentially freedom of morphology and expression).

GTA V doesn’t do any of that. It’s just a game about reality. And ultimately, reality is a boring place that I’m not exactly ever pleased about living in. You’ll find that sentiment is commonplace amongst creative thinkers.

So that explains why there are some people who just won’t love GTA V. GTA V really is the reality TV of gaming. It’s for people who just aren’t at all creative. That’s fine, but I can’t relate to those people at all. I find it impossible. They’re just so completely alien to me.

Which is intriguing in and of itself, since physical abnormalities in the brain can make us so different as to feeling alien to each other. So there’s that, too.

All in all, yeah, it’s an interesting topic.

I’m bored of reality because I’m me, and I think it ties into a craving for novelty, borne of creativity and imagination. I can’t play GTA V. It would make me depressed that it exists.

After all that, you can’t say I’m not honest with you lot.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Hcw87

Get out of here with your superiority complex.

99% of the worlds population are enjoying GTA V and you come in here pretending you’re right and the rest of the world is wrong, just because they enjoy something you don’t. Saints Row is 10% of the game GTAV is, there is just nothing to do in that game compared to GTAV.

Oh and you haven’t even played GTAV yet. Talk about being a hypocrite. With a superiority complex. Sucks to be you.

#7 10 months ago
  8. viralshag

I don’t think SR should even be compared to GTA at this point for anything other their open-worldness and that’s about it. SR4 was good but it’s nothing on GTAV.

As usual #6 fails to recognise the fact that many gamers can enjoy both sides of the coin. Liking one over the other doesn’t make you a more intellectual individual or put you in the same boat as people that like reality TV.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Hcw87

Exactly. One game is average, the other is the game of the generation.

Also, TheWulf is allways stereotyping and downtalking pretty much anything mainstream these days, only circlejerking indies and kickstarted games, i think he’s better off finding a new home a little more to his liking. He’s a special case.

#9 10 months ago
  10. TheWulf

You’re just projecting, honestly, and telling me of your own inferiority complex. You have no need to feel threatened by me, and yet you do. You feel so threatened that you feel the need to throw out a statistic like 99 per cent of the world’s population, without even realising that a nontrivial portion of the world’s population doesn’t even own a console. (And before you go crazy, I’m talking of third world countries, not PC owners.)

It’s always interesting to see what people say in regards to me because they’re so threatened by my way of thinking. It’s bizarre.

#10 10 months ago
  11. TheWulf

Or I just think in different ways to you. Imagine that.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Hcw87

Not threatened at all honestly, you just remind me of some old mensa-professor you usually find in schools, telling you how you should think, and what you should do with your life.

People do what they want, thank god, and it’s a known fact that GTA>Saints Row, both in terms of sales AND game receptions (by critics and fans alike).

Sure, for every 1000 people you might find 2 or 3 which prefer Saints Row, but that sure as hell does not mean Saints Row is the better game.

Play GTAV, the entire game, and you will enjoy it. Watching youtube videos of some bits and pieces just don’t work on a game of this scale.

#12 10 months ago
  13. viralshag

@11, By generalising and stereotyping people based on what games they like to play? You can keep your way of thinking if that’s the case.

#13 10 months ago
  14. xino

how much did Last of Us even made in total?
    because i know it was in UK Top for almost 5 weeks

#14 10 months ago
  15. TheWulf

Hm. Another thing to consider regarding that ’99 per cent of the world’ statistic? Asia wouldn’t have any interest, especially Japan. I’d say that Japan wouldn’t have any for the same reason I wouldn’t. It’s too attached to reality, and that just doesn’t appeal to me as a creative person.

Japan has a culture of creativity that goes out of its way to encourage hobbyist comic making, and those comics can end up turning into one of many anime shows over there.

Does this mean that Japan–or even Asia in general–is somehow wrong for not becoming part of the GTA cult? Are we going to be racist and say that all Asian folk are somehow wrong for not enjoying American entertainment? Are we going to go there?

It’s an interesting topic, really. When something in the West attains cultlike status, then obviously the world must be playing it. Including Asia and third world countries, and if they’re not, then they’re wrong in the head somehow.

Just think on that for a little bit. It might enlighten you, or it might just enrage you and you’ll learn nothing from the exchange.

Can’t say I didn’t try!

#15 10 months ago
  16. Phoenixblight

*cough* http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/11/07/grand-theft-auto-iv-tops-in-japan *cough*

GTA V is not out in Japan until October. DO you even research before you post? Its like diarrhea of the fingers.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Hcw87

Personally i enjoy realistic games a whole lot more than games like Saints Row.

But then again, Grand Theft Auto has never ever been about realism. It’s satire and over the top gameplay/characters. If it was realistic, you wouldn’t just wake up in a hospital after getting blown up by a grenade.

Also satire>childs humor (dubstep guns/dildo sticks).

I do agree with some of your points lately though (Wind Waker graphics never really aging), but having a cel-shaded GTA would not sit right with me. Just won’t fit.

#17 10 months ago
  18. viralshag

Excellent. We’ve gone from generalising gamers and TV viewers to entire nations. Brilliant.

Well at least you said something complimentary so I guess it’s not really an insult, just a bit ignorant maybe?

#18 10 months ago
  19. DrDamn

“Actually, if you had the reading comprehension to understand my point, that’s not what I’m saying at all.”

You weren’t really trying to be incredibly condescending?

#19 10 months ago
  20. Lengendaryboss

Oh i missed another argument! Lets see if i can chip in…

How the fuck did Aliens: Colonial Marines get back in there? And TLOU but positively ;)

PES 2014 did okay… Other games managed to sneak back up on top…

GTA V: stood in line for that almost half-hour, no other game would i do that for MGS 5? Maybe i dunno. Truly expected and deserved.

@TheWulf
    You make no sense to me saying GTA V is boring, SR 4 is more fun? You also said somewhere else you can go around killing grandmas? I don’t remember that in GTA IV/V and besides its optional just like killing someone with an anal probe weapon or in funny wacky ways is optional in SR. But the difference in me not liking SR 3 (and based on that SR3 SR4 as well) and me liking GTA IV/V, i have played them both not “watched a video of GTA V and fell asleep twice”, made my judgements based on played time not watching someone else play. loving SR 4 and hating one game you haven’t played i see a contrast. I have watched lots games on youtube doesn’t feel same when playing it. The boring remark is what doesn’t make, i mean theres a big difference between watching and doing, i don’t like watching basketball but enjoying playing it.

Hey your entitled to your opinion, but you haven’t played it so your knowledge on the subject is severely limited and could purely be imaginative of what you think GTA V is.

#20 10 months ago