Microsoft unveils Surface Pro 2, will launch with Windows 8.1 on October 22

Monday, 23rd September 2013 16:41 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has announced new Surface tablet model, dubbed the ‘Pro 2′. It will ship with Windows 8.1 as standard and boasts several new features.

The Verge reports that the tablet appears unchanged on the outside – it still has a 10.6-inch screen – it does come with new inner workings.

Microsoft’s VP of Surface Panos Panay stated that the device is 95% faster than current laptops, thanks to its Intel’s Core i5 Haswell processor, and that it has increased battery life of 60%.

It has a new kickstand that offers greater freedom of orientation, and it comes with a 1080p display. Panay added, “This is power,” and stated that Surface Pro 2 delivers the, “full power of a PC in a tablet form factor.”

The Surface Pro 2 starts at $899 and goes high-end at $1,799. It comes in a 4GB RAM edition with either 64 or 128GB of storage, and an 8GB RAM model with either 256 or 512GB of storage.

It can be bought ahead of release tomorrow, September 24 at 8am PDT.

What do you think?

Via Eurogamer.

1. Pytox

way too expensive

#1 12 months ago
  2. dsr

Why?

#2 12 months ago
  3. TrickyAudio

There’s two models isn’t there?

Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2? Pretty sure the former is cheaper.

#3 12 months ago
  4. DSB

Has anyone tried one? Is it any good?

#4 12 months ago
  5. DuckOfDestiny

Does the surface Pro feature the full desktop version of Windows 8, are the watered down version?

Pretty pointless if it’s the watered down version.

#5 12 months ago
  6. pcbros

Surface Pro 2 serves as a laptop replacement, running a full desktop experience. This isn’t an iPhone for old people (like the iPad) ;)

$1800 is a lot but you are paying for the “shrink-factor”. It’s new technology trying to attract “must have the latest” consumers. Eventually the prices will drop to more reasonable prices.

#6 12 months ago
  7. sebastien rivas

Why should I buy at this price when I can find other tablet(s) of same dimensions and for much less?
    I understand this tablet will have better battery charge cycle but for example and compared to a regular iPad 2nd gen, my iPad has good battery charge cycle and requires me to charge it perhaps once a day or once every 2 days.

Lastly 256 gb of storage, not bad at all to start with but again 900$?

Good luck with Pro 2.
    Hopefully Pro 3 will come with next windows version because I don’t like the feel, look of win 8 at all, not even a bit.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Moonwalker1982

I managed to buy a Surface Pro 128GB this year for around 715 euros and it has totally replaced my laptop. I love it. I took it with me to GC for some quick-typing during presentations and just as daily use for every damn thing. Surface Pro is fantastic. Aside from a few small things.

Oh and going from Windows 7 to 8 was great. 8 is fantastic for tablet use and very suited for the Surface in general.

#8 12 months ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

@5:

It’s the full version.

#9 12 months ago
  10. darthroseman

Don’t compare your iPad to a fully featured laptop. An Intel i5 uses more battery life because it is far more powerful.

#10 12 months ago