Kojima totally dodges question about replacing Hayter as Snake

Sunday, 22nd September 2013 01:29 GMT By Phil Owen

Game Informah had a chat with Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima at TGS, and a lot of what he has to say are things we’ve heard before. They did, thankfully, ask him what he thinks of Hayter’s rather bitter reaction to being supplanted in favor of Kiefer Sutherland. His answer is… surprising.

First, Kojima explained the process they’re using for Sutherland in MGS 5:

“At this time it has been rather difficult because with Keifer we’re doing facial capture and voice capture, and the recording has been rather difficult. This is because we already have the motion capture from another actor and into that we’re putting the facial acting and the voice acting. So he has to make all these facial changes and motion without moving and we’ve been handing Keifer quite a challenging task.”

The next part of the Q&A as published by Game Informer went like this:

David Hayter has publicly commented that he’s upset for being passed over as the voice of Snake for the new game. What’s your reaction to this?

For this game, I wanted to have the full motion capture and full performance capture, however I realized I would have to be in Los Angeles for about a year, which was impossible given the agenda to create the rest of the game. So the motion capture was done with an actor here in Japan and the rest of facial capture and voice performance has been capture in Los Angeles in the U.S. with Keifer [Sutherland]. However if there is another Metal Gear, I’m not sure if I’m going to be in charge of it or not, it’s going to be probably be 3D capture, meaning it will be the whole thing with one person. It would be impossible by then to have one actor only for voice and another actor for the rest of the elements, so in that way I think it was also a good opportunity to make a shift for this character.

Basically, he’s saying they made the change because of technical issues they have on this game even with Sutherland. Also, he doesn’t answer the question, which was about his thoughts on Hayter being mad. This could be a translator error. Or it could be a hardcore dodge.

1. 2-D

“Game Informah”

Thanks, VG247.

#1 10 months ago
  2. JimFear-666

oh look… the same catch phrase every year “im not sure im gonna do another mgs”

Can he just shut up about this, he said that when mgs4 came out and look whats next… mgs5 with kojima.

#2 10 months ago
  3. pcbros

My guess is that Sutherland might play Snake in a future movie. I doubt it’s a financial issue.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Beta

I can’t help it, but I’m still soured on this game and Kojima, at how he casually snubbed Hayter and has yet to give a reason why.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Luciferous

Something to think about – This game is taking place around the time of Big Boss’s fall, when a certain younger Solid Snake comes in and ‘kills’ Big Boss… I have a feeling Hayter isn’t voicing Big Boss because he is in-fact voicing Solid Snake at some point late in the game.

#5 10 months ago
  6. pcbros

@5 – But Solid Snake was a clone of Big Boss. Wouldn’t it be the same voice?

Also, Hayter did Solid Snake’s voice in MGS/MSG2 and the voice of Big Boss in MGPO/MGPW/MGS3.

So why have Sutherland do the voice of Solid Snake and Hayter the voice of Big Boss all of a sudden? It would also mean an unnecessary added expense of hiring a new actor.

But I maybe wrong… Hayter did have the distinct voice that made Snake.

#6 10 months ago
  7. wildBoar

His earlier justification was that Hayter wasn’t up to par as an actor, and he should stick to that one it’s totally reasonable. The way he delivered some of the lines MGS2 and even 3 and partly 4 is just grating.. He’s not an amazing actor.

And even if he was, he still doesn’t compare to Sutherland at all, and for a game that’s much moodier than before that’s a completely legit reason. Angry fanboys are given way too much levity these days, it’s like nerd-rage is an OK justification for entitlement.

#7 10 months ago
  8. dotfaust

@ 5 and 6
    I think I do remember a past interview where kojima said he wanted to separate big boss and solid snake as their own distinct characters, meaning hayter will probably reprise his role as snake while sutherland steps in as big boss

#8 10 months ago
  9. dotfaust

@ 7
    Hmm I must have missed that. And I do agree that hayter’s best performance was in the original psone mgs… the voice acting in that game is definitely amazing!

#9 10 months ago
  10. pcbros

Either way, I think Sutherland will knock this one out of the park. This game should be good. And the setting is perfect, between Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid (probably the best two Metal Gear games IMHO).

#10 10 months ago
  11. BrahManDude

i hope it’s a hardcore dodge either it’s pretty funny

#11 10 months ago
  12. OmegaSlayer

Kojima lost his mind.
    And I don’t speak about this voice acting stuff, but about Grand Splinter Solid.
    I like leaders, not followers.
    Kojima has become a follower.

#12 10 months ago
  13. PsVitaCyrus

I think the main reason why people are upset about Hayter being replaced is not that they find him such a great voice actor, I think it’s more because they are so used to hearing his voice when they see Snake. That voice has been the same for over a decade now. It’s never easy letting go after such a long time.

Another reason would be that the Japanese voice actor Akio Otsuka will reprise his role in MGS5. That would seem like a double punch in the face to many long time David Hayter fans.

Must admit I’m not too happy about it myself. But Kojima is a perfectionist, he knows what he’s doing so I’m sure he’ll deliver another brilliant game.

I for one will be buying this game on release day!

@11 – I played the German version of MGS1 first. I loved it back then. When I played it many years later in English I found that version to be a lot better. To be honest I thought Snake’s German voice was horrible in comparison. I’d say it’s a matter of opinion. One loves something, the next person hates it.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Gekidami

^ I played the French version of MGS first, the voice acting was terrible, “WOULF?! SNIPAH WOULF?!” Will forever be burned into my brain. So glad the games stopped getting dubbed from MGS2 onward.

I’d say the only valid reason a voice actor change would have made sense is if this was a full reboot of the franchise. But honestly i think Kojima just doesnt care about Hayter, he doesnt play the version of the game he voices (that’ll be why the Japanese actors still there) so Kojima most likely isnt too bothered. Its comes across better knowing you have some big known actor in the US version of your game then some random guy.

Though it is a kick in the teeth, even if Hayter wasnt ‘great’, its the voice we’ve come to know for over 15 years. Lets also not forget that the Snake voice isnt Hayters natural voice, its perfectly possible that he could have toned it down if Kojima wanted something a bit more serious. Its pretty clear that kojima just obviously wanted a big Hollywood name and doesnt really care about how the fans felt about Hayter.

#14 10 months ago
  15. orakaa

@15: Hahaha. I played the French dubbed version on PSOne as well. Oh, boy, was that dubbing horrible. Hayter was much better, even if it might not have been on par with professional actors.

#15 10 months ago
  16. FinalStar

@11: Obviously your only intention is to troll everyone, because nobobdy in their right mind would claim the German dub of MGS to be any good at all – it was hated by pretty much everyone back in the day.

#16 10 months ago
  17. diego-rbb-93

Well… I must say at least to all of you that I played the Spanish MGS 1 version… And its voice acting is so legendary between spanish/latin gamers that its the only one Ive heard eveybody respects (you know, there a lot of brutal fighting between latin and hispanics about voice acting).

Alfonso Valles (Snake´s spanish voice) is one of the most recognised voice ever in gaming.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Nerdgazm

I guess some of us forgot about MGS2, and how he mislead everyone with raiden. I bet Hayter is still in the game. There’s probably 2 snakes. And all the ‘demo’ footage is a prologue of some sort.

#18 10 months ago
  19. SpacemanSpliffz

@ Solid Fox

So according to your retard logic, people who can’t speak Japanese, German or Spanish and haven’t played those versions because of that reason alone are idiots.

David Hayter is far from an idiot. He wrote three of the best comic to movie adaptations for the big screen, has been voice acting in games since before you were probably born, and is successful in anything he does.

Where’s your screenplays? Where’s your voice acting credits that span over 20 years? You think because you’ve played alternate versions of a game that you’re somehow superior to everyone?

You’re a bitter, whining, puling little douche. Have fun wasting your life away by being a derpy fuck on the internets.

Solid my ass, fuck face.

#19 10 months ago