Xbox One: stand it vertically “at your own risk”, warns Microsoft

Friday, 20th September 2013 10:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One should be played horizontally, Microsoft’s senior director of product management and planning Albert Penello has warned.

Speaking with Gamespot, Penello confirmed that the matter stems from the console’s disc-slot, and is not a cooling issue. He told the site, “We don’t support vertical orientation; do it at your own risk. It wouldn’t be a cooling problem, we just didn’t design the drive for vertical. Because it’s a slot loading drive, we just didn’t design it for both”.

He added, “We found, interestingly enough, that 80 percent of people, believe it or not, have their Xbox [360] horizontally”.

What do you make of the above news? Does it mess up your living room set-up, or are you fine with this?

For the record, my Xbox is vertical due to space issues. *Gulp*

Via GI.biz.

1. Hcw87

Never understood why people have their consoles vertical. Destroys the DVD’s/Blu Rays.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Space.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Xbone

Me neither. I guess it takes away less place on the floor.

One more point to Sony.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Hcw87

Keeping a console on the floor is the worst thing you can do (dust).

Buy a TV table, most are made in a way as to support shit lying horizontally.

Also @3 i would never ever keep a PS4 vertically, even if Sony said they supported it. Current consoles are supposed to be able to stand vertically, but it destroys your discs (unless you install every game to HD ofcourse).

#4 11 months ago
  5. AngryConsumer

@2 i agree with you, it is common sense that there will be more wear on the drives, when it is standing vertical. also you should lift your console like 3cm from the ground and up, so heat can escape from under it. all this we learned from this gen, it is little things but will make your ps3/x360 last a life time.

#5 11 months ago
  6. super3001

never seen vertical console in real. not good for optical disc who care anyway optical is dead format lol

#6 11 months ago
  7. schnide

No, if the machine is designed to stand vertically – which people do for either space or aesthetic reasons – it doesn’t.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Hcw87

Anyway, aren’t every Xbox One game installed to HD anyway? So the disc won’t spin.

Suddenly this isn’t a problem anymore unless watching a Blu Ray for example.

#8 11 months ago
  9. AngryConsumer

@3 we did see what you did there, first sentence is the bait, then the second sentence is the get out of jail free card. but you have been caught troll, you ungrateful sod. your are clogging up threads at vg247 with your crap. your account is for sure a second account, you have been reported. i cant wait for the new web sit design anytime now!

#9 11 months ago
  10. VibraniumSpork

This thing would look even more hideous stood on its end. Would have a 2001-monolith vibe going on though:

My PS4 will have to stand vertically due to space issues. Only thing that Sony have done to so far piss me off in that respect is charging extra for the vertical stand – this a first for them right? Wouldn’t mind apart from the fact that you *need* it to have the thing stood up, and that nearly every promo shot of the console shows it stood on it’s end >_<

#10 11 months ago
  11. AngryConsumer

@10 sadly you will have to pay for it, so it is gonna be another blow to your wallets.

#11 11 months ago
  12. G1GAHURTZ

Vertical FTW!

#12 11 months ago
  13. OmegaSlayer

Another tech aspect where MS didn’t put money LOL

#13 11 months ago
  14. super3001

lol monolith is true. like 2001 ape throw bone at xbone lol

#14 11 months ago
  15. Xbone

horizontally is so last gen.

#15 11 months ago
  16. ctankep

Normally store my consoles vertical.
    Then pull them out horizontal to play.
    To give ample airflow & ventilation.

#16 11 months ago
  17. VibraniumSpork

Just a thought, but does this whole “at your own risk” angle have implications on the warranty re: repairs?

The thing chews through a disk in vertical orientation, you ship it to MS and get it sent back with a note saying “LOL, no, should have sat that shit on a shelf bro!”

#17 11 months ago
  18. TrickyAudio

My PS2 was always vertical, never had an issue….

#18 11 months ago
  19. Hcw87

Every game is installed to HD, so the disc won’t spin while you play. Pretty sure this issue will be alot smaller than what it is now.

#19 11 months ago
  20. pukem0n

i have it vertically at my PC monitor because of space reasons on the desk.
    the other 360 and the ps3 are horizontally in the living room because i have the space.

would like it much more if you could also stand it vertically.
    hopefully it will still be possible

#20 11 months ago
  21. spoffle

@9 Shut up you mong

#21 11 months ago
  22. Erthazus

Vertically is great but in my opinion these consoles are not designed that way compared to PC where depends on the case you can ONLY have a vertically case or horizontal.

Personally I prefer my consoles to not be vertically. Because they have a shitty chinese hardware that breaks really fast.

#22 11 months ago
  23. Hcw87

Because PC hardware isn’t made in China at all, right? Oh wait.

#23 11 months ago
  24. VibraniumSpork

@22 http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/157/122/f.gif?1318992465

@23 +1

#24 11 months ago
  25. FeaturePreacher

I’ve always had my 360 vertical. The only times I’ve had problems with discs was when the 360 was horizontal. Maybe this issue will be resolved around the same time MS removes the kinect from the xbone.

#25 11 months ago
  26. Playmaker

@25 Kinect is not going away. Nor should it.

#26 11 months ago
  27. FuntimeBen

I too have ALWAYS stood my 360s vertically to save space and hide them behind my television. This is completely ridiculous. I’ll wait until they release the slim xbox one that is engineered properly – rather than this, rush to market device that no one had the forethought to imagine people in big cities with small apartments may want to stand them vertically.

I wonder if standing it vertically voids your warranty if you scratch the blue-ray lens?

#27 11 months ago
  28. Ekona

If you really haven’t got the space to lay a games console horizontally at all, then may I humbly suggest that buying said console probably isn’t the best use of your money.

#28 11 months ago
  29. Ashmael

This convince me more that the idiots at Microsoft rushed the development of the Xbox One when Sony anounced the PS4.

#29 11 months ago
  30. Christopher Jack

Why is this thing so big? Seriously?

#30 11 months ago
  31. Christopher Jack

Also to note, Microsoft didn’t even design the Xbox 360 to sit horizontally. So many games of mine destroyed & refused replacements, they didn’t even agree to refund my X360 ’til MS changed a few policies in like 08.

#31 11 months ago
  32. Riseer

Yea I mean it’s a big console so I figured their isn’t a way to place it vertically.I hate being a fan boy, but Sony has a better design then MS’s.I own the first Ps3 slim,it’s almost 4 years old it works perfectly with no issue at all.

#32 11 months ago
  33. XanderZane

All my consoles have always been horizontal. My sons had their PS2 vertical at one point. Only system I’ve ever had to turn sideways was the PS1. That’s because it wouldn’t read your CD unless it was on it’s side or completely upside down. The laser read issue would happen after 2-3yrs of use. Supposedly the alignment of the laser to the CD would shift out of place and that would cause the problem. Sony could fix this easily, but you’d have to pay a fee of course, which was BS since it was their sitting product that caused the problem. Same crap with the PS2 and the DRE problem.

@31 The XBox 360 was designed to sit horizontally and NOT Vertically. There is a warning in the manual that tells you not sit it vertically and move the unit, as it could cause disk damage. So most gamers never put their XBox 360 on its side because of that issue.

#33 11 months ago
  34. XanderZane

@8 It still needs the disk to run the game, so yes it’ll spin for a few minutes, but after that and shouldn’t need the disk at all since the whole game will be on the HDD. I don’t think 500GB will be enough. They really should have out in a 1 Terabyte drive. I have a 250 GB Xbox 360 and I only have about 60GB left. I only have 3 full games on it and the rest are demos and XBLA games. The more games you have on the HDD the slower the response will be when reading for the HDD.

#34 11 months ago
  35. Cobra951

@2: Yep. Plus it *should* be better for cooling, since it leaves a lot more surface area exposed to the open air. It should also be better for discs left in the console for long periods of time, since they won’t tend to warp from being held horizontally by the middle alone. You all know you should store your discs vertically, right? Gravity is a bitch.

This news does surprise me. The Wii is slot-loading, and has no trouble with vertical use. Shame on the MS engineers if they couldn’t figure this out.

Edit: @33: If you swivel your vertical Xbox (horizontally) while the disc is spinning, you trigger gyroscopic forces which can cause a head crash. Swiveling a horizontal Xbox the same way won’t induce the gyroscopic force, since you’d be rotating it in the same plane as the disc rotation. That’s why it’s safer *for people dumb enough to move their systems as they’re operating*.

#35 11 months ago
  36. fuchikoma

@1 A Dutch TV show long ago disproved that. They took many 360s and tested them on stable, concrete shelves, horizontally and vertically, and ultimately, they both damaged discs because part of the lens assembly was coming up and touching the spinning discs. Now, there are several 360 optical drives so it’s not a problem with all of them. Personally, I’ve had an Elite vertical for a few years, and my discs all look like they just rolled out of the factory. Same with my vertical PS3 and Wii.

#36 11 months ago
  37. AngryConsumer

@36 the scratching of disc on x360 was the cause of the missing padding. that would stop the disc to grind against the lens. microsaft got a bit to cheap and cost cutting… that is why you had your disc scratched, this is well documented stuff by now. when enough people complained about it, it was silently fixed. so microsaft had their back free from people that could sue them, and microsoft could continue to blame their customers, for not handling their x360 properly.

#37 11 months ago
  38. sebastien rivas

Regardless vertical or horizontal,
    I must say I have always been displeased in consoles optical drives.
    They work but they are also cheaply made which at the exclusion of nintendo wii so far I always had issue with other optical drives on consoles, always scratching a disc, always going dead after few months of use (though I was a hard core when I was younger with some easy 14+ hours a day if not more sometimes).\
    Xbox, Ps1, Ps2 were NO Exceptions to this issue!!!

#38 11 months ago
  39. Djoenz

My ps2 lived for over 10 years. Best thing ever. My ps3 slim bluray lense wouldnt read shit after 1.5 years. Cleaned it and it was fixed.

I smoke indoors and the residu and dust inside your console is bad as well.

#39 11 months ago