Metal Gear Solid 5′s torture scene is not playable, stresses Kojima

Friday, 20th September 2013 08:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain features a torture scene that will be kept as a cut-scene only. Director Hideo Kojima confirmed that the scene will not actively engage players. WARNING: CONTAINS GTA 5 SPOILERS.

Speaking with Eurogamer at TGS, Kojima was asked if scenes like these were necessary to the medium and for his thoughts on how they should be delivered

He replied, “It’s something that needs to be done. As the expressiveness of video games goes up, if you want to go beyond that it’s not something you can avoid. Of course not all video games have to do this, and in my case it’s not something that I want to go through. If the violence will give new emotions that are important to the game, I want to put it in there, especially with this game where one of the main topics is revenge. I don’t want to walk around that.”

Kojima added, “I didn’t want to go as far as having playable torture. The part of Metal Gear Solid 5 that has torture is non-playable.”

Do you think this is a wise move from Kojima? What is your take on the GTA 5 torture scene? Let us know below.

1. tezzer1985

Thanks Dave, now I won’t be shocked when I come across the torture scene in GTA, I’ve stayed away from all GTA reviews and previews, and it’s me reading a MGS story that informs me of something in GTA

#1 7 months ago
  2. ranksshabba

Thanks for the SPOILER warning!!!??

“It follows GTA 5′s controversial torture scene, that sees players actively choosing which implements to hurt and threaten a local business with. It has received a negative reaction from some gamers so far.”

“What is your take on the GTA 5 torture scene? Let us know below.”

????

Playing GTA5 at the moment, had no idea there was a torture scene as avoiding SPOILERS and articles on GTA5 as to not ruin the experience.

VG247 have some editorial commonsense, if it is a Metal Gear Solid article it is //poor form// to have it contain GTA5 spoilers.

Not good for the GTA V experience if trying to avoid such leaks from the story. :(

#2 7 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

Christ sake…

#3 7 months ago
  4. viralshag

I thought the that scene was fine in terms of not going too over the top and I’ve seen worse scenes in films so I don’t think they’re doing it just for the sake of it. Trevor’s dialog after while taking him to the airport was classic though.

#4 7 months ago
  5. Djoenz

Warning contains gtav spoiler. When you read that part dont continue to read if you dont want to be spoiled about gtaV. If you do continue to read you cant complain about it afterwards. ffs.

I have been spoiled already by many articles about gtaV lol. I dont mind!

#5 7 months ago
  6. Mike W

@Dave

I will be reporting your name to the powers that be. This is an outrage, I’m returning game and demanding a refund!! ;)

Just kidding bro. :D

#6 7 months ago
  7. Dave Cook

@6 Lawyer up asshole!

Just kidding too ;)

#7 7 months ago
  8. AngryConsumer

thank god its not playable, we had enough of that torture crap in gta5.

#8 7 months ago
  9. salarta

Technically, saying the article includes GTA5 spoilers is a spoiler because you can infer based on the article title that something about torture is relevant to GTA5. :P

#9 7 months ago
  10. Mike W

Well the whole reason for a mature rating is because I’m pretty sure the game is going to have mature themes. If you can’t handle that, maybe you should stay away from titles like these two.

#10 7 months ago
  11. ranksshabba

@Djoenz just to point out to djoenz – “you total melon”.

The warning about spoilers was added AFTER the complaints about the spoilers. Dave Cook hasn’t owned up to the editing. ;)

#11 7 months ago
  12. Kidbuu42

weird considering almost every metal gear has had playable torture scenes

#12 7 months ago