42% of Xbox live subscribers watch 30 hours of video content each month

Friday, 20th September 2013 03:31 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Core gamers tend to rag on Microsoft for pushing video content on Xbox Live, but a good whack of its paying customers make good use of it.

During an annual financial-analyst’s meeting, Microsoft chief operating officer Kevin Turner revealed today that 42% of all Xbox Live subscribers watch 30 hours of movie and TV content each month, according to a VentureBeat report.

Microsoft has made a big push for TV content in particular over the last year, adding multiple new cable channel apps. Additionally, Phil Spencer said recently that Microsoft has “hundreds” of ideas for new original programming, and sees sport as a major growth area.

Access to most entertainment content is restricted to Xbox Live Gold members.

Turner also said that 40% of the Xbox live audience is female, a statistic in line with most recent studies and behind some.

Thanks, Shack News.

1. Professor Zoom

I never use it, maybe only once or twice a week for gametrailers, that’s all.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Toastrules

I use my Ps3 a lot for netflix and crunchyroll… I legitimately wonder what the stats are for the Ps

#2 11 months ago
  3. dsr

Yeah. That’s a fact. But you forgot a few things:
    1. They watch videos now, this means someone is not playing it.
    2. They watch videos, but I doubt they bought it to watch videos in the first place.

They’ve got some really shitty “analysts” there. No wonder they always fuck up their PR messages.

#3 11 months ago
  4. xxJPRACERxx

Never used it, not even once. For watching videos I use either the PC or the PS3.

#4 11 months ago
  5. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Which site? movie2k.tl or kinox. to?

#5 11 months ago
  6. monkees19

Seriously! Where are they getting this information. I can honestly say, in the 4 years I’ve had my 360, I’ve collectively watched 15 minutes of video…ever

#6 11 months ago
  7. Major Mayhem 70

Y’all may not use it but there’s 42% that does. That was the point of the article.

#7 11 months ago
  8. bobnice

I use it all the time for youtube netflix and verizon app.

#8 11 months ago
  9. bobnice

Lets not forget that if you frequent this gamesite often and are posting in this thread that most likely you are a core gamer and the article does say core gamers dont use their box for watching video content. The article leans toward the mainstream gamers being the ones who use their boxes for viewing video, so it’s not suprising most people replying here in this thread are core gamers and dont fall into this articles description.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Llewelyn_MT

Wow, that’s like 1 hour a day. I wonder how many hours do they spend playing games.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Major Mayhem 70

That number will continue to rise due to convenience.

#11 11 months ago
  12. viralshag

I use Netflix all the time. Amazingly, a lot of gamers do like doing something other than gaming. Crazy right?

#12 11 months ago
  13. mark_t50

Sure, I watch plenty of Netflix and Youtube on about half a dozen different devices in the house and I’m guilty of watching a bit of Netflix after a session on a game, I just think that Microsoft are confusing this convenience with peoples willingness to invest money into a new device and services.

It seems to me they’ve gathered these stats and from them decided to bet big on people being willing to spend over £430 on a new device and aim it right at ‘TV’ watchers. My problem with that is as follows:

1). Why would someone need an XboxOne at £430+ when most have so many other devices already that offer the same services ?
    2). Do they think they are going to entice people to pay extra on-top of the £430 for new extra video services ? because I’m doubtful many are prepared to pay extra on-top of the services they already pay for.
    3). Why would People ever want to run the HDMI from their cable box into a second box and watch TV with 2 boxes running eating up twice as much electricity ? I get that there are a few who want to sit there shouting and flailing there arms around to control it, but my guess is this is a very small number.

The whole ‘TV’ aspect of the XboxOne just leaves me completely puzzled as I simply do not see the draw. My gut feeling is Microsoft are misreading these figures as people being willing to spend big on ‘TV’ features when it comes to a new console, my own feeling is they are drawing an incorrect conclusion. Worst of all I feel that the hardware power more aimed at the ‘Games’ side of things has been compromised as a result to keep costs down. Will be fascinating to see how this works out for them though.

#13 11 months ago
  14. AngryConsumer

this news article here can in fact be the evidence and start of where microsafts went on the wrong path. because it looks like a lot of casual wii sport gamers infiltrated the x360 gaming environment at some point in time. so not strange that microsafts wanted to go tv tv tv. when 42% is using it as a tvbox than a game station, just saying.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Silent Killer01

“40% of the Xbox live audience is female”

BS, maybe they sound like females but in actuality they are little boys with high pitch voices.

#15 10 months ago