PS4 could be in short supply for up to four months post launch – report

Thursday, 19th September 2013 17:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

PlayStation 4 could be in short supply for up to four months post launch, according to sources close to Sony speaking with MCV.

The sources state that at present, the current number of units expected to arrive in the UK will unlikely satisfy consumer demand. With pre-orders having already surpassed original predictions and Sony cutting off day one orders, the firm is supposedly getting worried consumers will turn to buying an Xbox One instead if they find short supply at retail.

During gamescom, PlayStation UK chief Fergal Gara told MCV that pre-orders levels for PS4 were at a level “never seen before in our 20 years in this business,” noting that it was “pretty inevitable that demand will outstrip supply.”

Gara also told the site at the time Sony was working with retail to make sure both were managing consumer expectations “as much as possible.”

Sony announced during gamescom PS4 has received over one million pre-orders, and while a break down per region wasn’t disclosed, Europe is “right up there” with North America.

1. Xbone

Dont forget guys… buy your PS4 NOW if you dont want to wait. NOW NOW NOW BUY THIS SHIT!

#1 1 year ago
  2. AngryConsumer

@1 your a troll and are clogging up threads at vg247 with your shit. your account is for sure a second account, you ungrateful sod. you have been reported to dave cook and will soon get whacked!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

The irony of the above, its just too much.

Mandatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY_amJ0YZrM

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

Point doesn’t bother me, i will be waiting at least until 2014 to purchase it.

#4 1 year ago
  5. MFBB

Yeah I am also waiting but I will keep my eyes open at christmas.

That should be the best deal until christmas 2014 :)

They wont offer it cheaper so short after release but some great bundles with free games etc should appear.

#5 1 year ago
  6. pcbros

Sounds good to have such a demand on paper… but a four month wait is not good for Sony. People who are on the fence or barely leaning towards a PS4 might not want to wait and will buy a XB1. This will also equal a bunch of low lifes buying several PS4s just to resell at 2x the price.

Sony better hope Microsoft has similar supply/demand problems.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

Less countries = Easier to supply. More countries = Harder to supply.
    Although not impossible.

Which is the one which is better?

#7 1 year ago
  8. fearmonkey

Not surprised, I think it will be the same for the Xbone.
    I’m glad I pre-ordered when I did.

@1 and 2 – LMAO…

#8 1 year ago
  9. schnide

“Lengendaryboss”

You’re not that legendary when you can’t spell your own username right.

:D

#9 1 year ago
  10. Xbone

2 What? im not a troll. I just transleted the title sentence.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Major Mayhem 70

Hope it’s in short supply for both companies. I have some day one consoles that I need to sell. Just trying to get mines for free, or at least at a hell of a discounted price. 😉

#11 1 year ago
  12. AngryConsumer

@10 we did see what you did there, first sentence is the bait, then the second sentence is the get out of jail free card. but you have been caught troll and your time is up any minute now. GET READY FOR DAH WhACK!

#12 1 year ago
  13. dkpunk

@11 No doubt. I have two of each reserved.

#13 1 year ago
  14. dokeno254

not getting it any time soon…my ps3 still has got a lot of juice left in it

#14 1 year ago
  15. bobnice

I dont care if I have to wait until 2014. To be honest, none of sonys launch exclusive appeal to me. The game im most interested in (infamous) doesnt release until 2014. And I dont give a rats ass about indie games.

#15 1 year ago
  16. gswat85

I don’t think this is true considering the gamestops here are still taking preorders

#16 1 year ago
  17. antraxsuicide

@16 GameStop overdoes their pre-orders. I don’t think they’re guaranteeing Day One editions anymore.

And MS is definitely not going to have some of these problems. Rumor has their supply being larger, and they’re releasing in fewer territories. They’ll also be ramping production up in time for Titanfall since I’m sure they’re hoping for that to catch on once Ghosts dies down.

#17 1 year ago
  18. sebastien rivas

@2,
    @1 is right in many ways, interested buyers should pre-order to avoid waiting until late december.

Back to the article:
    I think it is a good thing to be short in supply titles for a few months. Let gamers appreciate titles they just bought.
    1) it will prevent others from falling hard like a stone in a pond in terms of sells and revenues.
    2) Gamers will be able to have a chance to finish what they started before they turn their eyes onto something else that they find attractive in their own eyes; therefore a more concrete and pleasing experience of PS4 and game titles.

#18 1 year ago
  19. jenny123

Jenn Anderson
    Boston, MA

I am having l nightmares over the Rhino Shield covering on my house, installed just over three years ago. Large bubbles are in the material that I can slit and hand peel the material, right down to the bare red cedar clapboards, which were also primed with an oil primer and finished with latex paint before the Rhino-Shield was applied. The material has a lifetime guarantee, so when I called several persons, including the owner Rhino Shield they all came over quickly.
    Rhino Shield said that the material was probably put on when the cedar was damp, and thus would strip everything and apply a new primer and finish coat, let dry, then apply new Rhino Shield, adding that there will be no more work till flashing is….

#19 1 year ago