Metal Gear Solid 5 gets 12 minute gameplay demonstration at TGS 2013

Thursday, 19th September 2013 08:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

If you missed the livestream earlier, here’s a capture of the Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain gameplay demo shown on the Sony stage at Tokyo Game Show 2013.

Here’s the full gameplay demo, captured from the stream. MGS 5 is coming to PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in 2014.

Thanks, Xboxygen.

1. Hcw87

Their talking completely ruined this video for me.

#1 11 months ago
  2. efnaldinho

This looks incredible.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Mike W

I can’t wait for this game, it’s beautiful.

#3 11 months ago
  4. AngryConsumer

@1 i agree they should learn to shatup when doing the gameplay video. it was totally ruined for me too.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 It’s a presentation, of course there will be talking. Ungrateful sod.

#5 11 months ago
  6. YoungZer0

@1, 4: They will probably release it without commentary in a few weeks/days. Most developers do.

#6 11 months ago
  7. pcbros

I hope this makes it to the PC one day…

#7 11 months ago
  8. Moonwalker1982

Looks very good but i am not sure yet about this being a open-world MGS game. What kind of missions can we expect other than this hostage rescue mission? Either way its very promising and should definitely be better than MGS4. I just really didn’t like that one too much. MGS3 remains my favourite.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Shinji10TH

@Moonwalker: If you liked MGS3 (Like me), then you would be very sorry to hear that MGS5 is the opposite of it, because it has:

1- No life, stamina, psyche bars; so it will be like what we see in most FPS/TPS (Blood stains when you are shot, and then stay in cover to recover), which means that rations, bandages and all the other survival stuff will disappear for good.

2- Infiltration will be so easy, because you have a “Bullet time” effect when detected, and you can walk away or kill the guard, hello QTE.

3- No more long cinematics, which means no more MGS, because that’s the trademark of the series, it’s game-movie not just some average action game.

I’m really sad to see that Kojima is ruining his own game.

P.S: This a Ground Zeroes footage, and not from Phantom Pain.

#9 11 months ago
  10. deathm00n

@10 And where did you read this? Could you link please?

#10 11 months ago
  11. Shinji10TH

Ok, but it’s in French (Goggle translate), it was from a Ground Zeroes presentation prior to TGS, here’s the link http://www.gameblog.fr/news/38094-metal-gear-solid-5-les-5-choses-qui-changeront
    And you can see the “bullet time effect” i talked about on this video.

#11 11 months ago
  12. deathm00n

@12 Thanks! But I think this isn’t something that will ruin the game, I have faith in Kojima.

#12 11 months ago
  13. hives

@10 – Yup, you can kill with slow-mo. But then you have to get this body and drag it out somewhere and if it’s far away, then someone will spot it. And you can only slow-mo kill 1 guard. If there’s patrol of 2, you can’t do it.

I really think some press outlets exaggerated this system… It’s really not like this silly thing in new Splinter Cell games.

And cut-scenes will be shorter, but hell – I’ll be damned if they will be “short” :P

It’s always hard to say something about MGS before playing. I remember I really didn’t know what to think of 4 from all trailers and presentations. And then I played it and I liked it <3

#13 11 months ago