EA isn’t giving up until Battlefield “is number one,” says Soderlund

Thursday, 19th September 2013 14:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Patrick Soderlund, EVP of EA’s games label, has said the firm isn’t going to give up until Battlefield bests Call of Duty as the number one shooter.

Speaking with MCV, Soderlund said not only is such competition good for the market, but for both companies as well.

“Competition is good,” said Soderlund. “It brings the best out of people. If there was only Battlefield or only Call of Duty, then the development teams might have been a little bit more content. We don’t look at them necessarily and mimic what they do.

“But we think about them. Maybe they weren’t thinking about us much when we made Battlefield 3, but I can tell you, they are thinking about us now. They need too. We made a dent in the FPS market and we took share from them. And I am not going to give up until I’m No.1 and I am going to make sure I’m No.1.

“We are spending a tonne of money on this, our teams are killing themselves every year to make great games. I want to give our consumers the best I can. We will strive to be No.1. If I said: ‘No.5 is probably fine,’ it’s hard for people to rally behind that message.

“But I wouldn’t say we could be No.1 if I didn’t think we could. I think I have the right team, the right product and the right strategy to get there.”

We’ll see what happens once both shooters are released this fall: Battlefield 4 will be available October 29 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. The game will also be made available on PS4 November 12 in North America and in Europe on November 29. The Xbox One version will be released in North America on November 19 and in Europe on November 21.

Call of Duty: Ghosts releases on PC, PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360 on November 5. The PS4 and Xbox One versions land alongside the new consoles.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Never.

#1 11 months ago
  2. hives

Crap. That probably mean we will see more and more modern warfare Battlefields.

Yay… Good thing they are also doing Battlefront. BTW, I wonder what shooter will EA throw out in 2014. Will they try with MoH again?

#2 11 months ago
  3. DSB

John Riccitiello, is that you?

The major difference between Battlefield 3 and CoD is the balancing and ease of use in my opinion.

I can jump into a CoD game in seconds to get my fix, in BF3 I have to find “the right” game first, because everybody’s doing stupid shit with their servers.

And those weapons…. Oh dear. I know DICE are trying to make this big glorious, varied armory, but it doesn’t work very well if you want to be competitive. Some weapons are highly contextual, others are useless, and yet others are great in every situation.

Sometimes less is more if you want to make things sporting.

@2 Titanfall brah.

#3 11 months ago
  4. AngryConsumer

good luck with that ea!

#4 11 months ago
  5. VibraniumSpork

Unfortunately BF has always had that fairly harsh learning curve over COD. I agree with @3, you can just jump in and play COD, which is important if you’re starved for free time. BF takes a while to get going and it’s always been pretty mean dishing out the upgrades you need to really get an edge on your opponents…having said that I find it does get far more rewarding than COD in the long term.

It’s just a shame that COD and BF are locked in this FIFA-vs-PES-style battle. They both offer different types of experience and they excel at both.

#5 11 months ago
  6. AngryConsumer

@5 harsh learning curve?… i played bf:bc and bf:bc2, and i can tell you that i had no problem with the ‘jump in and play COD’ scenario of yours and playing bf after. they changed something drastically in bf3, i never got into it after a couple of plays. the maps was so huge. you had to rum a mile to even see anyone to whup off with your gun. it was a horrible game. so i couldn’t be bothered buying after i tried it at a friends house.

#6 11 months ago
  7. hives

@3 – I mean, fall 2014. Titanfall is coming early 2014 :P I don’t think they won’t publish any shooter later.

#7 11 months ago
  8. reask

Well include ffa and that might help.
    I like the difference between both but if I am crap at least in ffa I can blame myself.
    Nothing worse than crappy team mates in tdm.

#8 11 months ago
  9. DSB

@5 I’m not sure it’s really about upgrades, the real problem is that playing for objectives is different from playing for K/D. And that seems to be everybody’s default mode: “Stay alive, take scalp”.

Battlefields problem is that it’s shit at teaching people how to play. That was one of my big disappointments with BF3. They actually took a step back by removing Commander mode.

In BF2, a good commander would kinda take on the role of the raid leader in an MMO – Yelling at everybody and trying to make them act less retarded, coordinating their efforts.

That’s one way of helping people understand how it’s done, but I think it’s a shame that games like Battlefield don’t try harder to actually get everyone on the same page.

A game like Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm pretty much forces people to play smart and work together, because they’ll die in a second if they keep making those mistakes.

I miss clever, focused designs like that. Instead of wasting everybody’s time with a campaign, they could do “showcases” like the old tactical shooters. Make scripted scenarios to show people the importance of rushing an objective, and the penalty for getting bogged down.

@7 Oh right, right.

Yeah, it would make sense to have a shooter ready for Black Friday. Maybe they’re doing another Bad Company or something?

#9 11 months ago
  10. reask

Also dsb there was not 1 vehicle mission in sp.
    I mean how are you supposed to go up against vets of the game?

Sure find empty servers but that’s just a pain really.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Llewelyn_MT

@Hives: Isn’t Battlefront coming out in 2014?

I play games that suit me, in this genre it’s Battlefield. I really have no desire to play “The Bestest, Most Popularest FPS EVER” if it’s not for me. My guess is Battlefield is making enough money already. If games are made with mass market in mind they become generic and lose focus. Just look what they did to Total War by streamlining it in Rome 2. Instead of grand battles we got sped up battles for stupid ass capture points.

#11 11 months ago
  12. VibraniumSpork

@6 Jeez, don’t have an aneurysm! Anecdotal evidence from a lot of regular COD players I know who tried out BF3 when it launched soon traded in their copies due to things like difficulties with vehicle controls, the emphasis on burst fire for accuracy, the melee system and the more ‘realistic’ reload speeds and clip sizes of the weapons. I’m not saying it’s a 1:1 experience, but BF is certainly aiming for a more ‘authentic’ feel over COD’s more ‘arcade’ tendencies – and I’m not saying one’s better than the other, they both have a place on an FPS fan’s shelf.

I just think people who make the transition from one to the other find the experience a bit jarring. You obviously didn’t because you’re an infallible gaming demi-God, but I definitely found my first BF experience (BF:BC2) a completely different one from whichever COD I was thumbs-deep in at the time. Not to milk the analogy but I think the switch between FIFA and PES hits many people the same way.

#12 11 months ago
  13. VibraniumSpork

@9 “The real problem is that playing for objectives is different from playing for K/D. And that seems to be everybody’s default mode: “Stay alive, take scalp”…Battlefields problem is that it’s shit at teaching people how to play.” – Very true!

#13 11 months ago
  14. DSB

@10 There was the one tank mission, though.

I really don’t think you can “document” these shooters enough. You could do a ton of teachable scenarios like that, and shooting ranges to familiarize people with the guns, and it would probably be easier to do than a campaign.

Teach people what the different weapons strengths and weaknesses are, teach them vehicles, teach them tactics. It’s pretty obvious just playing through an average game that some people genuinely don’t have a clue.

#14 11 months ago
  15. AngryConsumer

@12 i would buy bf:bc3 in a flash if it ever get released… the bc series had good sp and good mp. the bf3 just suck in both, i guess you can learn yourself to be good in bf3 mp, and you will get used to it and like it. but i cant be bothered, the game was a lackluster, period.

#15 11 months ago
  16. reask

I was thinking more aero missions.
    I mean the second spec ops mission was a 2 man heli mission.
    I had not a clue how to fly it so gave up as I was getting embarrassed pissing other people off through my lack of knowledge.

#16 11 months ago
  17. DSB

Man, that helo mission is the most fun I’ve had in a coop game ever.

I was playing it with my brother, and neither of us had any clue, so it went something like this:

“HOW THE FUCK DO YOU FLY THIS THING?!”

“I DON’T KNOW!!!! THERE’S A MOUNTAIN COMING RIGHT AT US!!!”

“OH MY GOD KEEP SHOOTING!!!”

And then once we got a little better it turned into:

“You’re so totally gonna crash this fucking thing”

“I’m so totally not”

“We just died… You were always a retard”

#17 11 months ago
  18. VibraniumSpork

@16 Man that mission was *so* hard as an inexperienced pilot! I relied on the BF community for flying lessons…lot of great Youtube flight tutorials out there. Still, like you and DSB say, it feels like these tutorials should have been provided in-game by DICE themselves.

#18 11 months ago
  19. ArithonUK

Could have fooled me! Looks far more like EA are pushing DICE into making the BattleField franchise into a steaming great pile of No. 2!

They’ve pulled all the benefits of team play and following orders in favour of quick-in, run-and-gun game play. While that makes it more like COD, that doesn’t mean it IS COD.

Sadly it does mean it is no longer BattleField as defined by BF1942 and BF2 and number one seller doesn’t equate to “the best game”.

#19 11 months ago
  20. SplatteredHouse

@19 ref: NFS…

#20 11 months ago
  21. Dendroball

@11 Battlefront is supposedly coming out in 2015 and it’s only making sense because a two year development cycle is needed at least and because DICE will benefit from the push created by the release of the Episode VII. 2014 will be the year of BF4 premium DLCs and Titanfall in the FPS genre for EA.

#21 11 months ago
  22. schnide

But then when they’re number one, they’re going to give up? ;)

#22 11 months ago
  23. yeoung

I’m definitely not a fan of shooters. In fact, BF3 is the first multiplayer FPS I ever played and enjoyed. I’ve enjoyed the hell out of Lost Planet 2 and Black on PS2, but as far as multiplayer goes, only Metal Gear Online seemed interesting this gen.

Then came BF3 courtesy of PS plus. Honestly, being able to do things besides shooting people totally sold me on the franchise. I may even look into getting BF4 after a price drop. I was also gifted CODBlops 2 for my birthday. Played it all of 25 minutes. In my opinion, BF3 is a far more complete game with varying gameplay styles and tactics.

Though it is the opinion of a total shooter-noob, I believe that BF3 in terms of overall quality is already leaps and bounds ahead of COD.

/0.02

#23 11 months ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

Its possible

#24 11 months ago
  25. GrimRita

As long as they force Origin, they never will top Call of Duty. I will NEVER buy Battlefield until its available without using EA’s spyware. It’s my favourite FPS of all time and I miss playing it, but I refuse to install their turdware because I HAVE to.

#25 11 months ago
  26. dkpunk

Well as far as quality BF3 is already leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. I’m sure BF4 will make another solid dent in the CoD franchise. Can’t wait for this game. Now just need to deicde what platform to play it on. Xbox1, PC or PS4.

#26 11 months ago
  27. sebastien rivas

I agree with you on one point when you mention I know DICE are trying to make this big glorious, varied armory, but it doesn’t work very well if you want to be competitive. Some weapons are highly contextual, others are useless, and yet others are great in every situation.

Indeed what Dice did was to listen to their base players (probably hard core wanna be and wanna give inputs without thinking a single second). This happened too often, too much, and the game NEVER approached any balance. Worse nowadays, you are considered a fag or alike if you use a weapon that does not satisfy your teammate or enemy . I swear this this is the real weak point to BF3.
    Dice got led like a dog in the park on a tight leash.
    EA don’t step in anyway thinking you can do something to help or I will be gone from DICE too.

#27 11 months ago
  28. smartalves

@1 and @4 – you are right. BF3 will not (probably) make the numbers of COD but BF will always be a better shooter: jets, choppers, tanks, jeeps, boats, level changes will not be on COD!
    @12 You have done it!
    I’ve play MW2 and MW3 so and so but got killed a lot. Somehow my pc fells kinda slow to play this, don´t understand why. Try COD:BO2 for 15 minutes, got killed 20 times, uninstall next minute. I’ve seen my 12 years old son play BO2 on PS3 killing 20, 40, 60 guys in a row but I can’t do it.
    I play BF:BC2 and BF3 for a long time. Play for objectives, play with my squad friends is more my thing. This will be an eternal discussion but players will adopt what they like most.
    @17-@18: You’re right and for me that’s is the biggest problem with BF3: the learning curve with choppers and planes is crazy (I’ve reached level 100 but haven’t done most of the assignments in choppers and planes). Another great thing on BF3: games modes – play with machines guns, pistols only, perfect your sniping (
    @27 Worse nowadays, you are considered a fag or alike if you use a weapon that does not satisfy your teammate or enemy . There is a solution for this, Sebastian: I always play with my weapon of choice because if you have shotguns, I will use it no matter what. M320 or rpg against infantry? Check. If you have the gun, use it!
    Next buys: BF4 first and on Christmas, COD:Ghosts.

#28 10 months ago