Diablo 3: no plans to take PC version offline

Thursday, 19th September 2013 06:39 GMT By Brenna Hillier

With the real money auction house making an exit, you’d think there’d be room for Diablo 3 to introduce an offline mode on Mac and PC. And you’d be wrong.

In a statement published on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Blizzard said the Auction House wasn’t the only reason Blizzard felt it had to keep security tight by making Diablo 3 an always-online affair.

“We do not have plans to implement an offline mode. While the always-online requirement made the auction house possible, the auction house was never the driving factor in our decision to make the PC version of Diablo 3 require an Internet connection,” a representative wrote.

“The game was built from the ground up to take full advantage of Battle.net, which provides a number of important benefits, including persistent server-side character saves, a seamless PC multiplayer experience, cheat prevention, and Real ID and BattleTag social features.”

Diablo 3′s auction house will be pulled in March 2014. It’s been extremely successful, but never very popular; original Diablo designer Steig Hedlun said it had “detrimental effects” on gameplay, and recently Blizzard itself has been making noises about how it undermines the game’s systems.

As of earlier this month, the dungeon crawler is available on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, where it does have an offline mode, and local co-op for four players. It’s also coming to PS4 in 2014.

1. Llewelyn_MT

Diablo 3: No Plans To Buy It

#1 11 months ago
  2. sithsylar

I was so close to returning to this game and now im out.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Andrew C.

Like anyone cares about your stupid Real ID and BattleTAG features.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Erthazus

^ Actually people care.

#4 11 months ago
  5. noamlol2

like someone actually liked this game

even without the DRM the game is fucking boring
    the plot is paper thick and it’s repedative as hell

#5 11 months ago
  6. TheWulf

Shame really. I’m certain a lot of people feel the same way that I do — that they’d give this a go if they actually removed the always online DRM and offered the console control system.

Torchlight II is always going to be a better game, to me, because the setting is more enjoyable and the mod support makes it whatever game I want it to be (I can custom tailor it to my tastes). Still, I would have been willing to give it a go. I just find the always on DRM to be atrocious.

I guess Blizzard will never learn. I suppose this actually saves me from the disappointment, anyway, because what I saw of it looked tremendously dull. Which is why I went with Torchlight II in the first place.

#6 11 months ago
  7. TheWulf

That’s pretty much the impression I got from watching videos of it, yeah. But GTA is proof that some people actually prefer boring over fun, and grinding over enjoying themselves. I’ll never understand those people because they feel alien to me, and they seem not unlike worker bees in regards to what they do for entertainment.

Still, it pleases them. I just wish the market wasn’t so much for people who enjoy being bored, so much so that I’m elated when something fun actually comes along.

As I’ve said, many times, it’s like food. Some people will continue to eat burgers stuffed to the brim with transfats, yet have all the flavour of cardboard, artificialness, and chemicals. Not that they can’t afford to eat better, they just actually like junk food. I’ll never understand that, but at least good food is commonly available for those of us who prefer actual flavour.

I do get a bit grumpy with the games industry because they do overly pander to boring people and gore-obsessed kids. Which means that the mainstream is often filled with games as pointless and bland as they are unnecessarily gratuitous.

I kind of wanted to try Diablo III out of morbid curiosity, to see if my feelings regarding it are right, that it’s just an utterly flavourless Diablo clone (which I will call it, because it’s not developed by the same people as the first two games). I like having informed opinions, so I tend to poke things that I might not even like. I give most things a chance.

But hey, they won’t drop the awful DRM. So… no skin off my nose, I guess?

#7 11 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

Blizzard should take a long hard look at Path of Exile…….. It’s very much the direction that Diablo 3 should have taken in regards to gameplay and design (skipping the FTP stuff and design though)

#8 11 months ago
  9. Gheritt White

Diablo 3 KICKS ASS on consoles!! I’m have a BLAST playing through it :-)

#9 11 months ago
  10. adambroun

I found Bible of Diablo 3. There is everything about the game.

#10 11 months ago