Microsoft boss: Japan is “a very kind of soulful place” for games

Wednesday, 18th September 2013 00:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Japan is an important territory to gaming, according to Microsoft Game Studios vice president Phil Spencer, and that’s why the platform holder keeps trying to make inroads.

“People ask why are we going to TGS. Obviously, Japan we’ve announced isn’t one of our launch territories,” Spencer said in a new podcast with Major Nelson, as transcribed by Gamespot.

“When I think about Japan and the history in video games, whether it’s just games that I grew up playing or even looking today games that are so important to our industry, I think going to Tokyo, going to TGS, meeting with the developers there, seeing what the gamers are playing, seeing what the creators are making, I think it’s just a very kind of soulful place for video games and something that’s important for us to always stay in touch with, and going to TGS and seeing the excitement for new things and old things and the rebirth of things is just great.”

Spancer said Microsoft is hoping to connect with independent developers at TGS, too, given the newly-launched ID@Xbox service.

Microsoft has traditionally had a difficult time gaining a foothold in Japan, where the Xbox 360 took a distant back seat to the PS3. The Tokyo Game Show runs September 19 through 22 in Chiba.

Thanks, Dragon246.

1. melonbuster1

One day.. but do I think now ..nope. I see them trying hard. . But if they can drop the price they can win

#1 10 months ago
  2. AngryConsumer

to bad for you microsofts, japan dont like your xbone and its 900p games.

#2 10 months ago
  3. gswat85

@2….ur right japan likes their crappy sony games

#3 10 months ago
  4. Francis O

The Xbox One is DOA in Japan.

#4 10 months ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

What? Once again, with feeling, Phil! When I saw this posted in the forum, and even looking at the language of it properly in this report, it just strikes me that you can boil all of it down to “Microsoft boss glances up, regards Calendar: observes that TGS approaches!”

It’s one grade of committal and interest raised from the typical response by a celebrity guest at a red-carpet games do.

#5 10 months ago
  6. gswat85

Thats fine…..it’ll outsell ps4 here in usa. Just like the 360 has done to ps3 3 years running

#6 10 months ago
  7. Professor Zoom

The japs are racist, they only like their own systems, the Chinese are pretty racist but many of the japs are even worser. There’s still hope of Xbox One success due to the PS4 delay. They should’ve announced a 2013 date for Japan right after Sony announcing their delay of PS4.

#7 10 months ago
  8. pcbros

@2 – How do they feel about the PS4 with it’s 30fps games?

Actually Japanese are too busy playing with the 3DS to worry about the XB1 and PS4 :P

#8 10 months ago
  9. sebastien rivas

That is a bad, bad, bad perception.
    Sure some are just like anywhere else. Although Japan people, dudes and gals do not play MS games because presented games are too remote to Asian and moreover to Japan culture.
    I as well am getting my distance from Final Fantasy franchise, it is too Japan like for me and I just cannot get into, it just does not respond to me. Does not make me racist at all, but I dislike designs, atmospheres etc…
    Although I wish them best, with or without a Xb1 in their hands but I do not think MS can pierce into Japanese market without itself developing games with and for Japanese culture at hand. And no, Halo won’t make them budge for sure.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Unknown_Gamer

@6 Your blind , do a little research
    @7 Stick to your PC

This crappy system should not reach Japan again , EVER !

#10 10 months ago
  11. 2EX08

…More than likely, its the PS4 that will outsell the XBOX One. Just like what the PS2 did to the XBOX One … Oh Wait…
    :P