“GTA Made Me Do It” t-shirts appear on Teespring, target almost met

Wednesday, 18th September 2013 11:30 GMT By Dave Cook

GTA controversy seems to have made its way into the realm of apparel, as shirt manufacturer Teespring has launched a “GTA Made Me Do It” design that will only print if 150 people place an order.

The product descriptor reads, “They say video games make us do things which shouldn’t be done. To send out a message to such people, wear this exclusive Grand Theft Auto themed t-shirt and whenever you do a good deed, show the message to the haters. That’s right, GTA made me do it.”

The shirt has received 75 order so far art $12.99 apiece and needs a total of 150 before it’s produced.

Following the stabbing of a GTA 5 buyer yesterday this is poignant stuff. There’s also the relatively connected Mirror headline from this morning:

Thoughts please?

Via AGB.

1. Xbone

This is stupid on soo many levels.

#1 10 months ago
  2. silkvg247

“Why I’d rather wear a veil than nipple tassels”

HAHAHAHA

#2 10 months ago
  3. Fin

Ya I not wild about that tshirt. Playing into the wrong stereotypes innit.

#3 10 months ago
  4. braindead1981

@3 Unless you are a person that does good deeds. Then it flips does “wrong stereotypes” on their head.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Templar_Dante

This shirt is going to backfire so badly…

#5 10 months ago
  6. VibraniumSpork

I’m sorry to admit that I’ve just ordered one – I like it, I think it’s funny/satrical (in a low-level Brass Eye-type way) and kinda plants a flag in the sand. Games are just an easy target for the media, and a helpful crutch for a Defense Lawyer’s case.

That guy who got stabbed for a copy of GTA V…that sucks, no question. But the same could easily happen to a guy who’d just left a Jeweler’s with an Engagement Ring, or the Apple Shop with a flash new iPad under his arm. GTA V, in that story, was merely one of a thousand aspirational items that (I guess) these kids couldn’t afford, so they took it. Can’t blame Rockstar for making something that a lot of people want.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Fin

Yes because GTA’s main selling point is that you’re able to do good deeds.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Templar_Dante

@VIBRANIUMSPORK

Well, sir. Please, remember to do only good and not to do anything bad when wearing it. :)

I hope the shirt keeps people on the right track though :)

But, ofcourse, judging by the uproar over the GTA V Gamespot review.., there are crazed fans that will buy this and just.. go crazy. Their why I say it will backfire..

#8 10 months ago
  9. DrDamn

The guy who got stabbed also had his wallet and phone taken. He wasn’t mugged for GTAV, he was mugged fullstop.

#9 10 months ago
  10. VibraniumSpork

@9 So…it had doubly next to nothing to do with GTA? Yet somehow that’s the thing the media hit on. Crazy.

Still, you have to wonder. I assume that there’ll be something of a spate of muggings around the XB1/PS4 launch. Bad people will know that there’ll be gamers strolling around town after midnight with hundreds of £s worth of kit under their arm. I know I’m going with about 3 or 4 other dudes, partly out of a need for ‘protection’. I am weak and feeble, after all ^_^

#10 10 months ago
  11. braindead1981

@7: But that’s the whole point of it. Shooting and robbing people in GTA doesn’t mean you can’t be a good person in real life. So basically if you are doing good deeds while wearing this shirt it shows people that not all gamers are maniacs (not that most people will care, but still).

#11 10 months ago
  12. AngryConsumer

dave cook always out fishing for forums arguments and fights. is this because he want to drive up the earnings on the site advertisement?… and when it goes off the cliff. then some moderator comes riding like a knight in shining armor on a white horse to save the day. like last week where the discussion was removed, people screaming trolls right and left. it was a warzone, lol… but i guess you guys at vg247 got the clicks and earnings from advertisement big time of that one. at least try to make it more discreet next time, its getting to obvious.

#12 10 months ago
  13. VibraniumSpork

@12 http://www.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/oldhollywood_getout.gif

#13 10 months ago
  14. DSB

I think it’s fine. You think The Daily Mirror and the people who use words like “murder simulators” are interested in common sense or debate?

They’re not. They couldn’t care less about the facts, and you’re never going to be able to tell them just how wrong they are. Leave that to psychologists and the courts.

In the meantime I think it’s fine to respond with gallows humor and absurdity.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Lloytron

So he only had 6 hours sleep a night? Less than 8 hours sleep is therefore equally responsible. Lays in for me every day then – it’s for the good of humanity!

#15 10 months ago
  16. zinc

If this T-Shirt doesn’t have “Thanks Obama” on the back their missing a trick.

#16 10 months ago