Evil Dead remake director in the frame for Dante’s Inferno screen adaptation

Wednesday, 18th September 2013 10:55 GMT By Dave Cook

Evil Dead’s remake director Fede Alvarez is said to be in talks to bring Visceral Game’s 2010 action romp Dante’s Inferno to the big screen.

Deadline reports that Alvarez is currently speaking with Universal Pictures about helming the project, along with Eric Newman and Robocop producer Marc Abraham.

EA Entertainment vice president Patrick O’Brien is involved, while writer Jay Basu is re-drafting Bruce McKenna’s first script. It’s been seven years since Universal won the game’s film rights, but it seems to be picking up speed now.

Would you like to see it happen? Let us know below.

Via Eurogamer.

1. SplatteredHouse

As strong as the visual construction in that game was, as prominent as it was; by this time, Visceral’s affable Dante’s Inferno take has seen a comic mini-series, as well as an animated movie. I am not sure what Hollywood brings to the table, of worth to the IP.

#1 11 months ago
  2. AngryConsumer

oh god i hated that Dante’s Inferno game… never again im i gonna play it.

#2 11 months ago
  3. absolutezero

You could easily say the samething of the Evil Dead series and yet Fede managed to create something that fits within the series and is its complete own thing.

Dante’s Inferno the actual game was an ugly mess that just did not go far enough with its style, it could have been something actually arresting but it just came out as the front of a metal album instead.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Gheritt White

Well, I fucking loved the game and would happily purchase a couple of sequels. LOVED the upgrade tree.

#4 11 months ago
  5. silkvg247

Well he destroyed everything that was good about Evil Dead.

#5 11 months ago
  6. SameeR_Fisher

Yup, that’s exciting news, I liked Dante’s Inferno alot, sure it had many issues, but it also had tons of potential, The Art Style was pretty amazing, all the circles were great except the 8th one, combat could use some work to be less of a rip off from GoW, but it is certainly a good title, I finished it like 2 or 3 times.

With the whole movie thing, maybe EA will consider doing Dante’s Purgatory, I heard it was in the work, but got canned which is a shame, why do we get Army of Two The Devil’s Cartel, but not Dante’s Purgatory !!!

So far I am not buying any EA games, Dead Space 3 was far from what I want, First Person Shooters are also not my thing, such a shame to see both 2 good franchises I’d always support go to waste, RIP Dante and Isacc

#6 11 months ago
  7. fearmonkey

I never was a God of War type of game fan, but I watched a friend play this game and it was very impressive in it’s design. This would make an awesome movie.

The Evil Dead remake was brutal but I thought it lost the essence of the original, as they never called the book the “Necronomicon” and the book was just reduced to a witchcraft or evil book in the remake. The movie was decent but could have been much better.

The best part of the remake was sitting in the theatre after everyone left and all the credits rolled and Bruce Campbell pops up and says “Groovy”. No one else stayed and saw that, and that made the the movie for me.

#7 11 months ago
  8. The_Red

Not a huge fan of DI game but loved the new Evil Dead. If they can bring that sort of gore-heaven to the big screen, I’ll be sold.

#8 11 months ago
  9. silkvg247

They drained it of the comedy element, which to me meant it wasn’t Evil Dead but more of a generic boring gore horror. As boring as the rest.

#9 11 months ago
  10. absolutezero

It was a remake of the first film though, which was played completely straight. There was plenty to laugh at in the first Evil Dead but the people making put their heart and soul into making something serious and scary.

Why would the remake of that movie add in humour because the following two in the series did?

Evil Dead 1 was all about the ludicrous levels of gore aswell, thus it being a video nasty and Sam Raimi appearing in court.

#10 11 months ago