GTA 5 install issues: Xbox 360 workaround, PS3 digital fix, more

Tuesday, 17th September 2013 23:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Grand Theft Auto 5 hasn’t had the smoothest launch, with issues affecting both the digital PlayStation 3 version and the retail Xbox 360 release; happily, there’s been an update on the former and a workaround has been found for the latter.

GTA 5: PS3 digital issues.
The PlayStation Store version of GTA 5 seems to be suffering from two issues. The first is a corrupt download returning the message “error code 80029564″. According to a post on the European PlayStation forums, this issue was corrected today; just delete the content you downloaded and try again.

Unfortunately, the other issue doesn’t appear to be resolved. According to GamingBolt, the digital PS3 release suffers similar graphical problems to the retail Xbox 360 version when the Play disc is installed. No solution has been found as yet.

GTA 5: Xbox 360 retail issues.
As reported yesterday, Rockstar has advised users not to install the Play disc when using the retail Xbox 360 version of GTA 5; doing so seems to cause pop-up, texture and frame-rate issues. Digital Foundry has found a solution; a video guide is below, but basically you want to install the Play disc only to a 16GB USB stick.

Thanks, Joystiq, OPM, Units.

1. domnage

At least 360 people have a choice, but those who bought a PS3 digital version…

I just hope Rockstar are able fix this, because I’ve read that it’s something about the disc drive is much faster than a harddrive to process those specific textures and shit, so if this God forbid is true, PS3 digital copy owners are fucked.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

GTA V install issues? MORE LIKE FRAME RATE DROPS ALL OVER THE PLACE.

The game is not even in 30 fps. It is in 20. Jesus.
    Next gen or PC version PLEASE!

P.S. According to Digital foundry PS3 verson is better than Xbox 360 one. Well that’s good for me, but 20 frames per second is NOT Good. It’s horrible and unstable.

I want my PC version with Grass, high end textures, 1080p and 60 frames.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ireland Michael

@2 Too busy enjoying the game to give a crap.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

@3, I’m enjoying it too but I could ejoy much more if it was on the next gen or PC.

I want my decent 30 frames and 1080p or 60 frames with decent textures and without pop-ups.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Units

The link you posted showed PS3 with worse frame rate

#5 1 year ago
  6. DSB

Erthazus is spot on for once. I mean it’s a huge game and I’m sure it’s packed to the brim with features, but it really is like playing a moderately optimized AAA game on a slightly below average PC.

And it really doesn’t look like much

The current gen just obviously isn’t up to the job, but it was pretty obvious to me that it wouldn’t be, given that my 360 struggled to keep GTA IV running smooth back in the day too.

Bit of a shame. That’s not the performance you saw in the trailers.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Froseidon

@2 – Mines on the Xbox version and I haven’t noticed any frame rate drop at all. Mines ran smooth all the way through so far.

#7 1 year ago
  8. gswat85

@7….same for me. I’ve got about 5hrs of gameplay in and haven’t noticed any problems

#8 1 year ago
  9. ninjanutta

anyone saying this looks shit and plays bad is an idiot,ive played hours on ps3 and there is texture pop in but it dosent matter,you will be too busy having fun to care,it pushes the ps3 to the limit and looks great.Im more than happy with it but will also look forward to seeing it in full hd 60 etc later down the line..Quit the bitchin and just enjoy a brilliant game will you.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Keivz

This is actually a pretty big deal (funny how the outrage is tepid thus far compared to yesterday’s 360 install ‘issue’). I’d be outraged if I got the digital version on PS3. What were they thinking releasing it in such a state? Hopefully they’ll release a patch of some sort but I image it would require a tremendous amount of engineering effort.

I suspect they’ll release a patch for the 360 ground texture issues as well as I have a feeling it’s more of a bug than a hardware limitation.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Sanwiches

@2 Is it caused by the install thing? Cause otherwise Ive been watching theRadBrad’s playthrough (X360) and it’s all smooth and fun.

Or maybe I just don’t have your eagle eyes.

EDIT: oh i just watched the link you posted. You are complaining about what lol. You’ll never be happy, is that what I’m seeing? Because no devs will ever fulfill your dreams, my king

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

I’m playing it on a latest generation 360 slim, with just the install disc installed, and it’s not pretty. You’ve got jagged pixels making the edges of most major objects look like they’re done in 8 bit, and the framerate is closer to 20 than 30, especially while driving.

I suspect the new driving physics are down to optimization as well, it doesn’t really feel as weighty and responsive as it did in GTA IV. Probably can’t handle the physics.

It’s anything but smooth.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Cobra951

@2: I don’t see anything seriously wrong there. We all knew the target FPS was going to be 30, and it’s pretty much locked there most of the time. Dips when things get hairy are universal to open-world games. Even so, it never seems to dip below movie frame rate. Watching the action rather then keeping my eyes glued to the number in the corner, it looks and moves just fine. Yeah, a rock-steady 60 would be way better (perfect, in fact). We all knew that too.

#13 1 year ago
  14. paarth985

Does anybody know that is the retail version ( disk version )of ps3 having any install problems or freezes ?? plz help me as i will buy the game

#14 1 year ago
  15. Hcw87

The disc version performs better than the digital one. Pretty sure you will be asked to install part of the game when you first boot it up, but it’s mandatory i think, so just do it.

#15 1 year ago