GTA 5 could be highest Metacritic game of all time, just behind GTA 4

Tuesday, 17th September 2013 12:35 GMT By Dave Cook

Grand Theft Auto 5 could become the highest-rated game on score aggregation site Metacritic, falling just behind of GTA 4 after a day of reviews. With such a strong start, it’s possible late reviews could tip it ahead of its predecessor.

Now, I’m not saying that a high Metacritic accounts for high quality across the board, as there’s a lot of folk out there who hate the hype GTA 5 is getting already, but I really liked the game, despite being a GTA-sceptic in the past. It’s a damn fine game in my book.

MCV reports that GTA 5 currently holds a Metacritic rating of 98 on Xbox 360 and, 97 on PS3.

By comparison, GTA 4 holds a Metacritic rating of 98 on Xbox 360 and 98 on PS3, although this is spread across many more reviews.

Both games sit ahead of such high-scoring games as Super Mario Galaxy (97 Metacritic), Super Mario Galaxy 2 (97 Metacritic), Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3 (97 Metacritic), Half-Life 2 (96 Metacritic), BioShock (96 Metacritic), Uncharted 2 (96 Metacritic), Batman: Arkham City (96 Metacritic), Mass Effect 3 (96 Metacritic), The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, (96 Metacritic) and Resident Evil 4 (96 Metacritic).

Will GTA 5 take the crown over time? Let us know what you think below.

1. Francis O

So much hype. I remember falling for it in 2008 with GTA 4. Bought it day one on PS3 and couldn’t believe people were giving this game 10 our of 10.

I’ll wait on GTA 5…I told myself I’m not going to fall for the hype again.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Hcw87

This game is fucking amazing.

It’s flawless.

#2 12 months ago
  3. someguy2

Doubt it since GTA IV isn’t the highest rated game on Metacritic http://www.metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time

#3 12 months ago
  4. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Surprise surprise but what is this

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time got 99…

#4 12 months ago
  5. AngryConsumer

i have been playing it for an hour now and i must give my honest opinion. i thought the story was extremely dull and very uninteresting. the rhythm of the game is so slow that you really ‘felt’ that you have played it for at least 20 hours. when in reality it was only one hour. the characters are either not developed or plainly stupid. i can not recommend this game to anybody, period!

#5 12 months ago
  6. Hcw87

Comedy right here.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Francis O

@5 are you serious?

#7 12 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

@5 Oh fuck off.

#8 12 months ago
  9. Hcw87

Angryconsumer, ps3fanboy and WAR STEINER is the same person.

Is it even allowed having so many accounts to troll under?

#9 12 months ago
  10. Fin

“I didn’t like this game, therefore everyone who does like it is wrong.”

#10 12 months ago
  11. II-WAR-STEINER-II

#5 totally agree!!! You are speak the truth, the protagonists are so bad for example look at Niko, this dude had a spirit… But GTA5 sucks lil bit in the campaign…

I bought it for one reason 1st october….

Nope i’m mi and mi is blind haha….

#11 12 months ago
  12. Mike W

Metacritic is a joke, I’m still amazed that these publishers abide by their fuckery now.

As far as GTA 4, that game wasn’t that bad.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Dave Cook

@9 how do you know they’re the same person (sincerely)? Do they share an IP address?

#13 12 months ago
  14. Judicas

The fact Gta 4 has a metacritic above 80 tells me metacritic means nothing to me. Gta 4 was the only Gta that was truly disappointing, Gta v however makes up for it so far! Amazing!!

#14 12 months ago
  15. VibraniumSpork

@5 A whole hour huh? Forgive me if I don’t take your word over the reviewers who’ve spent 30+ hours in its company…

#15 12 months ago
  16. Hcw87

Their comments and timing mostly. Can’t you check their IP?

#16 12 months ago
  17. silkvg247

Most depressing news I’ve read in ages.

#17 12 months ago
  18. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Hcw87 don’t take any drugs or something like this cuz u get mad i think…

#18 12 months ago
  19. Dave Cook

@16 I can yeah, but just thought I’d ask in case you’d already done it. I’m being swamped with GTA 5 news today.

#19 12 months ago
  20. Hcw87

Well if random users on your website could IP trace other random users you’d have a problem i think :)

#20 12 months ago
  21. Djoenz

Instead of being swamped with GTA5 news? or actually playing it? :D

Im too broke to get a copy, have to wait till 23th lmao.

#21 12 months ago
  22. VibraniumSpork

@Dave Cook – Dave, I’ve read a few things on Polygon and IGN about some pretty nasty things in V; women being either largely absent or treated really badly, and a pretty gnarly torture scene. Do you think these guys are missing ‘the point’/being a bit overly-sensitive, or has Rockstar made a couple of genuine f-ups?

Just wondered as I can’t yet comment myself. Still got a couple hours before I get home and break this bad boy open ^_^

#22 12 months ago
  23. Ireland Michael

@22 Nobody is represented well in this story, male or female. That fact is central to the whole narrative of the story. The worst humanity has to offer.

People are looking at the issue without any regard for context.

#23 12 months ago
  24. DarkElfa

@23, That’s why the Escapist gave it 3.5 out of 5, it was a technically great game but it’s protagonists were so devoid of humanity that it sucked much of the fun out of playing.

Guess that’s why I liked Nico so much, the guy was a criminal, but he wanted out.

#24 12 months ago
  25. Beersup

Dave Cook tells the worst troll on here to “fuck off” on his own article and I love it. Much respect Dave. I enjoy your write ups. Keep up the good work.

#25 12 months ago
  26. TrickyAudio

Brilliant game. looks stunning, and is utterly enormous in scope. I’m baffled that anyone finds it ‘dull’

Perhaps they should go back to playing linear FPS’s?

#26 12 months ago
  27. Ireland Michael

@24 The problem with the fact that Niko “wanted out” is that he still spent the entire storyline breaking the law. The last few missions are one giant crime-fest. His character was a giant ball of contradictions – talking about the hard life while carrying around half a million dollars.

I think requiring your characters to be morally decent in order for it to be a compelling story is a very limited way to view good storytelling. I’ll be the last person to condone such behaviour, but its often these uncomfortable situations that make you think the hardest about what people are capable of. Sadly, what people are capable of isnt always that nice.

Now, if the story was expecting us to cheer for these people, to condone their actions and great them like the heroes, that would be a different matter altogether. But it doesn’t. At no point does the story ever actually justify what this people are doing. I won’t say any more or I risk getting into spoiler territory.

#27 12 months ago
  28. DSB

I literally only finished the tutorial just now, but already I’d say it feels a lot more like a classic Rockstar game. Nice to open with a bit of chaos.

You can definitely see the inspiration from Heat. So far so good.

#28 12 months ago
  29. Ireland Michael

@25 Pretty much the whole thing is played to extremes, with an obvious knowing wink at the player.

A lot of people have been comparing it to Bully, for the amount of density and intimacy it has packed in. Just straight off the bat. The locations are far more memorable tha Liberty City,, and there’s so much to do in such a small space its a bit crazy.

#29 12 months ago
  30. AngryConsumer

@Hcw87, so i am not allowed to give my honest opinion now after i bought the game and played an hour of it?. people like you are hypocrites. i will tell you this YET AGAIN, im not any ps3fanboy or that warsteiner, your paranoia must be working over time or your trolling big time here. because i am definitive NOT a fan boy of anything, period. i own a pc,ps3 and the x360.

#30 12 months ago
  31. Cobra951

@24: Which is why you should always throw out a small percentage of the highest and lowest reviews when aggregating. There’s always some jackass with a philosophical ax to grind who overly praises or bashes the review subject. Throw out, say, 2% of the highest and lowest reviews. Then look at the average.

I do believe in aggregating, for the simple reason that I have to. Without it, there’s no way to get a feeling of where a game stands in the collective consciousness. I don’t have time to wade through all the reviews or investigate the veracity of the people writing them. I’ll read a few trusted sources, then look at the metascore. Is it accurate? Hell no. It’s just all we have.

#31 12 months ago
  32. Dave Cook

@25 Thanks. I’m not going to be polite about it. He’s not that’s for sure.

#32 12 months ago
  33. DSB

YOU IN DAVES HOUSE NOW, SUCKA.

#33 12 months ago
  34. ruckus

I take it the rest of the GTA5 news is news and not just non-story shit like this. MCV ‘The Market for Computer & Video Games’ trade paper and can’t quite work metacritic.

#34 12 months ago
  35. Blackened Halo

who cares about metacritic? better choice is gamerankings.com, at least there are no users’ “reviews”

#35 12 months ago
  36. xFidelCashflow

I’ve never hustled so hard for $60 in my entire life

& I see Dave dropped the mic on AC without a single strand of hesitation

To say shit just got real would be an understatement

#36 12 months ago
  37. DarkElfa

@27, true, but I believe very much that you don’t need to make a protagonist the worst of what man has to offer in order to tell a compelling story.

I want to cheer for my protagonist, and I just didn’t feel it here. but technically, this is a major giant for the genre and worth a play through.

#37 12 months ago
  38. povu

In the release week of Bioshock Infinite you saw a lot of hyped statements like ‘It’s the best story ever, game is completely flawless, 10/10.’. A month or two later people had a more balanced perspective. Same will happen with GTA V.

#38 12 months ago
  39. Hcw87

Nope, because people won’t be finished with GTA V after a month.

#39 12 months ago
  40. Dagnabulous

I guess false news spreads fast. Like so many have said, check your facts better. Ocarina of Time still holds the title @ 99. Their poorly done list function only goes back to 2000. Update this article.

#40 12 months ago
  41. LordGluttony

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has a metascore of 99, which makes it the highest scoring game of all time.

#41 11 months ago