PS4 memory and ALU are considerably faster than Xbox One, developers claim [UPDATE]

Friday, 13th September 2013 13:14 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4′s memory reading and ALU is noticeably faster than Xbox One, developer sources have claimed, prompting a response from Microsoft.

The claims come from this Edge article. The site claims that developers have painted the difference between both consoles as “significant” and “obvious.”

Edge’s sources are reported to have said that the PS4 memory reads between 40-50% faster than Xbox One, and Sony’s Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU) is around 50% faster than Microsoft’s. The example given by the site stated that a “platform-agnostic development build can run at around 30FPS in 1920×1080 on PS4, but it’ll run at “20-something” FPS in 1600×900 on Xbox One”.

One source also said that, “Xbox One is weaker and it’s a pain to use its ESRAM.” Microsoft recently said that it had upped the console’s clock speed, but another developer told the site, “the clock speed update is not significant, it does not change things that much. Of course, something is better than nothing.”

Apparently, both Sony and Microsoft have not finalised each console’s form, and that both companies are working on new graphics drivers for each respective system. Microsoft is being slow in the matter, one source suggested and added, “that has been hurting them.” Another source called the Xbox One graphic drivers, “horrible.” Drivers are said to improve right up to launch however.

It’s not all doom and gloom in the Microsoft camp however, as one source stated, “Let’s say you are using procedural generation or raytracing via parametric surfaces – that is, using a lot of memory writes and not much texturing or ALU – Xbox One will be likely be faster.”

Microsoft has since responded to the claims telling Kotaku that Xbox One’s architecture “is much more complex than what any single figure can convey.”

“Ten years ago, you could argue that a console’s power was summed up in terms of a few of its specs, but Xbox One is designed as a powerful machine to deliver the best blockbuster games today and for the next decade,” said the spokesperson.

“Xbox One architecture is much more complex than what any single figure can convey. It was designed with balanced performance in mind, and we think the games we continue to show running on near-final hardware demonstrate that performance. In the end, we’ll let the consoles and their games speak for themselves.”

What do you make of the above? Let us know below.

Via CVG.

1. Units

We need names of these so called deveolpers

#1 12 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Good luck with that.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Joe Anderson

To me it’s got to be true that PS4 is significantly more powerful than Xbox One.

MS already stated that Kinect costs almost as much to develop as the console, which probably means that Kinect individually would sell for around £150 or maybe more. So that means the Xbox One is probably a £250-£280 console.

How’s that for logic haha

#3 12 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 At gamescom PS4 games visibly looked better than Xbox One titles in *the majority of instances*, but not all.

Given that some games there will have been early code, pre-alpha etc, that doesn’t mean anything, but I did notice it.

#4 12 months ago
  5. AngryConsumer

good to read the truth for once, and this should settle it for good. the ps4 have the better and faster hardware than the xbone.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Joe Musashi

Dat ‘butthurt-so-bad-I-reply-one-minute-after-the-article-was-posted-and-make-a-typo’ first comment.

JM

#6 12 months ago
  7. Dave Cook

@6 Basically this yeah.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Bowser

“One source even suggested that enforcing parity across consoles could become a political issue between platform holders, developers and publishers. They said that it could damage perceptions of a cross platform title, not to mention Xbox One, if the PS4 version shipped with an obviously superior resolution and framerate; better to “castrate” the PS4 version and release near-identical games to avoid ruffling any feathers.”

I don’t understand this because there was a shit-ton of inferior Wii titles in the PS3/360/Wii gen and we’re already getting a sure-to-be-graphically-inferior Wii U Watch Dogs. Why is it suddenly a problem on a Microsoft platform?

#8 12 months ago
  9. viralshag

To Ryse or not to Ryse? That is the question that is keeping my XB1 pre-order at the moment.

I have been toying with the idea of cancelling and just waiting until the new year. That or just cancelling and trying my luck at getting a PS4 at launch from the store.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Tech-N9ne

Bullsh*t, games I saw at GamesCom look, practically the same. if i was blindfolded i could not even tell if its PS4, X1 or PC.

#10 12 months ago
  11. CyberMarco

@6 Nailed it! :P

@9 I would suggest to get none for the time being!

#11 12 months ago
  12. Units

@4 You were saying?

#12 12 months ago
  13. AngryConsumer

the ps4 memory reads 50% faster than the xbone, and sonys alu is 50% faster than microsofts. this mean you will have games run at 30fps or more in 1920×1080 on the ps4. the xbone will run at 20 something fps in 1600×900. now that this have been reveled from developers, that have their hands on both consoles. the choice in picking the better console will be crystal clear by many, it will be the ps4. it run circles around the xbone when it comes to faster hardware. the games will also be better on the ps4 than the xbone, and the cloud will definitive not help the xbone.

#13 12 months ago
  14. CyberMarco

@12 The butthurt is strong in this one! :D

@13 You can now take off your mask ps3fanboy!

#14 12 months ago
  15. monkeygourmet

What suprises me so much, is that neither machine is completly ‘finished’ yet?!

Talk about gambling right till the finish line!

If these rumours (and they all seem to reach the same conclusion) prove true, Im really suprised that these consoles will comfortably finish an 8-10 year cycle.

Especially MS, as the machine sounds complicated and ‘cobbled’ together, something their R&D teams and money in the bank should have been able to avoid.

All these proving true, Sony should waltz next gen.

Better multiplatforms
    Large number of exclusives

Saying that, Im still suprised I haven’t seen anything on PS4 that looks better than Xbone, but I guess it’s early days yet.

I wish they would have both aced the 1080p / 60fps benchmark at launch though. That would have at least showed a significant improvement over last gen on top of the sparkly new effects.

I would have liked to see that, then in future if they needed power to make things looked nicer, you could drop too 1080p / 30fps.

Have games like Watchdog / AC4 been confirmed as 1080p / 60fps yet?

#15 12 months ago
  16. Dragon246

@10,
    That is just you :D
    Oh, and I would trust Dave more than anonymous guys.

Btw, this Units guy is probably user “woe”. Completely similar behavior.
    Please ignore him.

#16 12 months ago
  17. Prof Power Glove

Yeah it makes sense. Co-developing Kinect 2 will have been costly and that’s what Xbox One buyers will be buying the system for – it should actually work to some degree this time and it should be more than just a horrible novelty.

That emphasis on the controller at the expense of raw power will mean the UI and OS work smoothly (hopefully), so it all equals out. It will only be an issue for graphic whores out there when let’s face it folks, gameplay is king.

#17 12 months ago
  18. CyberMarco

He IS woe!

#18 12 months ago
  19. rasmithuk

The strangest bit in the article is the claim that:
    ‘Sony’s Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU) is around 50% faster than Microsoft’s’

Normally when you say ALU you’re referring to that part of the CPU. Given that both systems have the same CPU and both have similar bandwidth for the CPU (30GBs according to the leaks) this claim seems a bit far fetched.

If they’re talking about GPU then the 50% advantage sounds more believable, but describing it as an ALU makes them sound like they don’t know what they’re talking about.

Their resolution and frame-rate numbers don’t match their performance claims either, with the example they give being 100% better performance for the PS4, not the 50% they claimed.
    For the claimed 50% advantage of the PS4 that works out at 1920*1080 @ 20 fps for the Xbox One, not 1600×900 @ 20 fps.

It’s interesting that while an anonymous source claims this, back at Quakecon John Carmack said, on record, that there wasn’t much between the two systems.

#19 12 months ago
  20. Christopher Jack

@9, If you’re worried about the quality of a single game warranting the purchase of a $500 console just wait for the reviews. Unless you’re overly impatient which most gamers these days seem to be. Better taking a gamble & possibly temporarily missing out on the local stores stock than wasting $500 on a console for an exclusive that may or may not suck.

#20 12 months ago
  21. Dragon246

@18,
    Yup :D
    Almost every troll on this site has multiple accounts. Pretty sad indeed that they feel to defend their beloved company so much as to make multiple accounts for the same.damn.thing.

#21 12 months ago
  22. Fin

Yep this all sounds about right.

#22 12 months ago
  23. viralshag

@11, Thanks for the excellent link!

@20, I think you’re probably going to be right.

#23 12 months ago
  24. stretch215

This only really matters for the people getting one console next gen. I mean, how many of you (non pc) guys only bought one console this gen? I know I bought all three, and I plan on doing the same this time around. As far as “castrating” ps4 games… that’s a terrible idea.

#24 12 months ago
  25. Hcw87

None of the consoles have shown third party games running on anything other than PC’s (at gamescom and E3 for example), and that is a bit worrisome.

We HAVE seen first party games running on actual hardware though, and there the differences are basically non-existent.

Forza VS Drive Club for example, hard to depict a clear winner there.

Dead Rising 3 VS Killzone and Killzone wins clearly, but against Ryse? Not so much.

#25 12 months ago
  26. viralshag

@24, I have a PC and I did own both a 360 and a PS3 this gen but I sold the PS3. I’m really aiming to get one console that will cover me for the next 2-3 years and then maybe get the second one.

Even though I would love to have both and I could afford it, I barely have time to finish most of the games I get now so I definitely can’t justify getting two consoles as well as having a PC.

#26 12 months ago
  27. Units

@21 Maybe you should try looking in the mirror because to me it sounds like you would take a shot in the mouth for Sony

#27 12 months ago
  28. stretch215

@26 That’s what I mean, even if you get your second console 2-3 years from launch you’ll still be able to play “catch up” with everything you missed, so it’s a win either way. I think even some of the more radical “fans” on this site will eventually grab the “other” console, especially after a price drop.

#28 12 months ago
  29. DrDamn

I think most third party stuff should be on devkits by now which are genuine hardware for both.

Comparisons of other stuff as you say is silly. Apples and Oranges, different focus and different teams with different skills. You can’t compare game A and game B on exactly the same platform and say the platform is clearly better than itself can you? So why compare two different games on different platforms and draw any meaningful conclusions? All you can say is that the platform is capable of at least this.

I think MS were/are considered to be a little behind in driver terms so they should catch up a little that way I reckon.

#29 12 months ago
  30. DrDamn

You only created Units after you forgot your Woe password didn’t you?

#30 12 months ago
  31. Dragon246

Yup, Units is Woe confirmed!

#31 12 months ago
  32. MangoMantang

@9 if you like pressing A, this is the game for you.

#32 12 months ago
  33. FuntimeBen

Meh. I have a PS4 pre-order (mostly because they responded to users on DRM over twitter) but honestly I will believe it when I see it. All this talk about one console over another is all meaningless – unless we see the games running on the consoles. If it is true that the PS4 has a near 50% edge – then we might see it relected in games. In reality though, it is the game experiences that really matter. I have yet to see anything first hand and will wait to pass jugement until my hands are on a post-dev controller.

#33 12 months ago
  34. bradk825

Meh. Anonymous sources could be anyone. On any topic, I hate hearing from unnamed sources. Put your name on it. Otherwise it could be anyone. It could be me, it could be PS3fanboy if no one has killed him yet. If a respected dev wants to say the PS4 is 50% faster and actually put their name on the statement, sure, I can live with that.

#34 12 months ago
  35. Arcnail

What kind of story is this?

A bunch of ‘sources’ claiming that Sony is faster to start, then you end it with another ‘source’ claiming Xbone is likely the faster.

Riveting.

#35 12 months ago
  36. Ownsin

Even without solid proof… It’s obvious the PS4 is faster than the Xbox One… Especially with hardware. The PS4 graphic card is much better than the Xbox One and even the RAM on the PS4 is much faster and better than the XB1. So all this crap you guys are saying by not providing proof is useless. You don’t need proof when you have the hardware specifications right in front of you…

#36 12 months ago
  37. Hcw87

Numbers mean nothing if devs don’t take advantage of it (with the exception of first party games).

For all you know, MS may have paid off third party devs to make games identical on both platforms.

Realtime footage>numbers.

#37 12 months ago
  38. DrDamn

It’s two different aspects. They are saying PS4 is faster for X & Y but X1 would be faster at Z.

Any sort of questioning of the authenticity of the source is fairly fanciful. This is Edge, they have dev contacts, I don’t think there is any doubt these are opinions of real devs with experience. However devs can have a leaning or bias just like the majority of us. This is also a snapshot in time, where the systems were at that point. Some things like drivers can change.

#38 12 months ago
  39. AngryConsumer

@37 since developers have much love for the ps4 and sony have listen to their wants. 99% of the developers today will start their game developing for the ps4 platform first. then they will try squeeze it into the much slower xbone and things will be cut down. the pc gamers will have straight port of no advantages. that is what gonna happen.

#39 12 months ago
  40. Kreion

I agree there.I mean major devs might not want to offend a big company like MS or Sony, but more indie focused devs have a much larger allowance in what they can and can’t say without speaking for the industry as a whole. After reading this article I can only point out that in fact the first comment (which so many people laughed at) is one of the more pertinent.

If you don’t know who the source is then why would you blindly believe them? Maybe I should claim to be a developer and send a few messages off to random companies claiming that the PS4 is in fact powered by a hamster in a wheel.

And one funny point in the quote: “platform-agnostic development build” well known for being the most optimized pieces of kit out there. Plus we’ve at lease seen games like Forza running at 1080p 60fps (unless my sources are incorrect) so…yeah.

I’ll say the same thing I do on every article about the power of next-gen systems. Until There is a noticeable difference between the two systems for the consumer, you’re just playing top-trumps with consoles, which is stupid. There are nice looking games on both consoles, but right now we’ve only seen 1st party stuff so that’s to be expected >.<

#40 12 months ago
  41. Ireland Michael

1) Its pretty obvious to anyone with eyes that the PS4 is significantly more powerful than the Xbox One.

2) The fact that its more powerful is ultimately irrelevant. All that matters is the quality of the games.

#41 12 months ago
  42. Max Payne

@41 It will matter when comes to multiplatform games or do we forgot about ”no grass” incident ?

#42 12 months ago
  43. Ireland Michael

@42 Meaningless differences thst don’t change the gameplay.

#43 12 months ago
  44. Arcnail

Funny thing is with all this back and forth crap, what real proof we have is in the games we’ve seen.

I would love for someone to show me one console game thats ‘clearly way better looking’ then the others.

And spare me the argument that devs haven’t reached the machines full potentials yet. Sony and MS know their machines for their exclusives they created, and none look significantly better.

#44 12 months ago
  45. bennyx

Bla bla bla bla……..Sony is the best……no Microsoft is the best !!!’
    When they both come out,then we shall see the difference.
    When the tech heads put them side by side all running at max spec (which I very much doubt) then we shall see.
    Go the Nintendo route…..who cares about graphics as long as you enjoyed yourself in the end,that’s all that matters!!
    Long live the gamer!

#45 12 months ago
  46. fengato

@43 Framerate is crucial for gameplay in my view.

#46 12 months ago
  47. AngryConsumer

@41 last gen you could said powers of the console was irrelevant, but today we can clearly see that is not the case anymore. we have the wiiu as the perfect example of this, as it have become irrelevant to gamers and developers dont want to make games for it. so this gen the most powerful console is the one developers want and gamers. so the ps4 is clearly where things are gonna happen first on.

#47 12 months ago
  48. zinc

@10, “Even if I was blindfolded I could not tell the difference between PS4/xboz/pc…”

Er, can you *see* the logic fail there?

#48 12 months ago
  49. pyrahedh

@12 http://i.imgur.com/SGfvV1s.png

I found that to be a better response.

#49 12 months ago
  50. Tech-N9ne

HAHAHA, so true. That’s was really dumb :). Anyways I’m sure you got my point.

#50 12 months ago
  51. Hcw87

I hope you’ve realized people stopped taking you seriously months ago.

You’ve been banned more timed than you can count.

#51 12 months ago
  52. G1GAHURTZ

Blah, blah, blah, gibberish, gibberish…

Who is this secret dev… Polyphony Digital?

#52 12 months ago
  53. CyberMarco

It’s funny that in every article that states that the PS4 is better/faster/stronger etc than the XB1 every Xbone fan says it’s irrelevant. When another one states that the XB1 is better/faster/stronger then the PS4 fans say it’s irrelevant and the circlejerking continues till the end of times!

Must stock up in popcorn…

@54 Edited the bit regarding the anonymous source, the rest is still valid! :P

#53 12 months ago
  54. Fin

I’ve heard the same from a third-party dev.
    Also, if you look at the released specs, it’s pretty obvious the PS4′s beefier.

Sources outside of MS haven’t said the X1 is harder/better/faster/stronger than the PS4.

#54 12 months ago
  55. antraxsuicide

MS has already secured the fact that their fanbase buys more games than Playstation owners. So 3rd parties will never leave out that fanbase for some pretty graphics.

And remember Skyrim on PS3? Well Sony fixed the architecture, but I think after seeing SO MANY games that are MP based next-gen and app integration, I think the battle for specs is going to be more focused on stable OS and online networks. Which is why I trust the MS servers and Windows more.

#55 12 months ago
  56. bradk825

@53 both are right. Anonymous sources don’t mean shit. How many times, just in this console war, have anonymous sources been right about things? The FIFA rumour was true, but everything else pretty much fell on its face. How’s that Kinectless Xbox One coming? Or the early November release date?

You see it all the time in the news: “Unnamed sources claiming to be in the mayor’s office say he has prostitutes in the office all the time” and then no evidence is ever found and no one ever puts their name to the allegation. I’ve seen too much of that shit to ever believe a source that won’t say who they are. Could it be true? It could, but I’m not going to assume it is until someone puts their name on it.

#56 12 months ago
  57. ysleiro

@Ireland Michael #41

Clearly it’s not so obvious since here we have un-sourced articles debating the difference.

Furthermore it’s clearly not obvious since here we are having the discussion.

Even further I do understand we don’t have much to go on but none of the games shown look significantly better than any other game on the other console.

TRY AGAIN!

#57 12 months ago
  58. Fin

Edge’s sources are generally right.

#58 12 months ago
  59. lookingglass

Funny to see so many argue about things they don’t understand.

Memory reads and ALUs perform 50% faster, yet maybe only one of you comprehends what that means.

A computer is only as fast as its slowest component. Console kids always get taken advantage by their platform marketing team. People think memory = power lol.

#59 12 months ago
  60. Erthazus

If the difference between ALU 40%-50% then console itself is 40%-50% more powerfull.

In a sense it has better video decoding in HD + it’s easier to develop games on it. In other words you can make a graphics demo much faster then on Xbox One.

#60 12 months ago
  61. xxJPRACERxx

PS4 is more powerful on paper but this means nothing if we don’t know how the rest of the system is built.

What’s important is to keep the CPU and GPU busy, working near 100% capacity and that’s the difficult part and what bottlenecks are.

MS did a lot of profiling on current-gen games to see where the major bottlenecks are and design the X1 in consequence.

Also remember that we don’t know some of the custom chips in the X1 yet (maybe PS4 too). The X1 got a lot of custom chips, like for audio and the data move engine which can really help keep the system working near it’s full potential.

There’s still custom chips in the X1 that have not been identify yet.

Anyway, all this bla bla right now is just this, bla bla ans supposition.

I’ll wait for true facts and actual games to judge.

#61 12 months ago
  62. Phoenixblight

It is quite clear the PS4 is ahead since February it has been said consistently the system is ahead in hardware. WHere there is nothing being claimed otherwise for the Xbox One other than from the CEO’s and board members.

Devs will be “castrating” the PS4 version so that it is identical across the board which is a shame but at least it will be stable unlike this gen with the Ps3. I am not getting the PS4 for the multi plat games specifically but the exclusive that SOny provides which I find to be more interesting than Xbox’s.

#62 12 months ago
  63. pcbros

Let’s put some reality into all of this…

What would these developers say when comparing the PS3 to the Xbox 360 before they launched? Would we not here about how much more powerful the PS3 will be based on paper specs?

Yet, ten years later, we really saw no noticeable difference.

All this talk means zero. The proof is in the pudding.

#63 12 months ago
  64. KAP

Butt hurt Xbone fanboys are seriously making me burst out laughing about this article LOOOOOL

“No but…No but…No but…No but…No but…”

Its fuckin jokes LOL

I’m getting a PS4 but doesn’t mean anything to me that PS4 is more powerful a machine. Being more powerful doesn’t equate to “better games”.

This whole coming to MS aide though is funny as fuck though… so sad.

#64 12 months ago
  65. Telepathic.Geometry

Me, I’d be happy if they put the surplus horsepower to work making sure that I never ever have to see a loading screen ever again.

#65 12 months ago
  66. Fin

The linked article isn’t “on paper”, it’s real-world devs talking about their experiences.

#66 12 months ago
  67. taternuggets

@66 Anonymously.

#67 12 months ago
  68. fearmonkey

“30FPS in 1920×1080 on PS4, but it’ll run at “20-something” FPS in 1600×900 on Xbox One”.”

yeah but does this take account for that CPU massive upgrade of 150mhz?

LMAO….

Seriously, just look at the specs people, the PS4 IS the faster hardware with the better specs. That doesn’t mean its the better console though, it just means the potential is there for more performance and detail. Xbone’s Kinect and it’s media functions where what mattered to MS, and that’s where they placed their silicon money.

If Kinect and media is your thing, then the Xbone is for you, if performance and detail means more, then get a PS4. I hate motion controls and the Kinect, so I am going PS4, but if I was a sports fan or had kids, the Xbone might interest me more.

#68 12 months ago
  69. Hcw87

Make some sense dude.

If you like MS exclusives, get the Xbone.
    If you like Sony’s exclusives, get the PS4.
    If you like exclusives on both, then get BOTH.

Anything else is just drivel.

Buying consoles because of their specs is just dumb, because PC’s.

#69 12 months ago
  70. pcbros

Just watch direct-feed video of games and you can all make up your minds. We aren’t droids that have to listen to others to make up our minds.

You don’t have to go to E3 or Gamescom to see the difference (or lack of) between the two systems.

I personally do not see a noticeable difference. But I guess when direct-feed footage of multi-platform games are released for both consoles, we will be able to judge for ourselves.

For now, listening to “anonymous” people commenting on power is pointless. If we are going to listen to them, then we might as well listen to the people who talk about the power of the cloud as well.

#70 12 months ago
  71. Belazur

Poor Xbox Fanboys!
    ….. guys, GUYS? Are you okay?

Seriously:
    This was crystalclear months ago.
    The PS4 has more hardware inside the box (more ROPS, more CU’s, more/better RAM for gaming, etc.). It’s simply much stronger.

If you want the best gaming system, buy a PS4!

#71 12 months ago
  72. Panthro

Alot of Sony fanboys here gloating and defending the developers words.

Alot of Microsoft fanboys here defending there blind faith to the X1 and trying to prove the words otherwise.

Its funny, If the devs said the X1 was more powerful then the roles would do a reverse, and the same arguments would be taking place but from the other sides keyboards.

#72 12 months ago
  73. fearmonkey

@69 – “Buying consoles because of their specs is just dumb, because PC’s.”

Congrats on your opinion, realize though that not everyone shares it. I have a killer PC, but I like my consoles to be speced as high as it can as well. The reason, as you mentioned, is the exclusives, and Those will be amazing on PS4. It started with Colecovision which was the fastest box, then Snes that has the better looking games, and went from there. I always buy the more powerful box.

I meant to write that if you like the exclusives on either box, get what you want, but most people only buy one console in each generation, and so buying both might not be an option. I usually just get one, though I may get two this time around.

#73 12 months ago
  74. fearmonkey

If you want to see what the PS4 can do with it’s graphics, check out this demo – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKSC5hZzFc

Then watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvXqAEfY-cY&feature=player_detailpage#t=166 and watch the guy take over the demo realtime. There isnt a game or demo on Xbone that looks this good yet.

#74 12 months ago
  75. Panthro

@73, agreed. Although I couldnt give a shit what specs are in the PS4 and X1 as long as they start using some anti-aliasing and 1080p. I mainly play games on my PC but always buy the consoles depending on what exclusives they have.

Stuff like Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, Mario Galaxy, EA Skate, LBP, God of War, Shadow Complex, Metal gear solid, dead rising and lots more are just to good to miss because of not owning a console for there exclusives

#75 12 months ago
  76. fearmonkey

@75 – Thats the thing about the PS4 though, that extra power would allow a game that is also on the Xbone to have better antialising, better tessellation, and better filtering, without changing anything in the game objects wise. Games could look better if the devs take advantage of it, and the big question, will they? I can see them doing it for those items I listed but probably not doing much with lighting and objects.

It’s a matter of time and money unfortunately, I usually only buy one console because I have limited time to play games and usually want to focus my money on games and accessories for one console as I am not made of the stuff.

I have a ton of games on Steam, but mostly play just a few as thats what I have time for. I am completely and utterly addicted to Borderlands 2 on PC right now, amazing game, especially since I disliked the first game.

#76 12 months ago
  77. Panthro

@76 Yeah borderlands 2 on PC kicks ass, especially with PhysX turned on.
    And about what you said with what the developers would improve with the extra power I agree, Its just most Console gamers who only play on consoles wouldnt even notice the difference, a friend of mine who only plays Xbox didnt even know there was a fix for the aliasing around objects until I let him play on my PC and he was asking what all the different settings changed. He just thought that was how things in games looked ‘all jaggedy’ hahaha.

#77 12 months ago
  78. pcbros

I agree, if specs and FPS are so important to you, just go with the PC.

You will be gaming at higher resolutions and framerate than any console. Just invest that $400 – $500 in upgrading your computer and don’t look back :)

My plan is to upgrade my PC (AMD FX-6300 & GTX660 or better) and game using Steam for a while. Once either Microsoft or Sony have enough exclusive games that merrit a purchase, I will get one (probably even cheaper than when it launched).

But all multiplatform games like Watchdogs, will run and look better on the PC, so no reason to invest in a console.

#78 12 months ago
  79. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Sony makes a good job dudes… A 349 console with good performance and a new controller for 54… There is no point to hate right…

So with Kaz Hirai makes Sony make.believe

Great comeback Sony

@pcbros

Huh it is, look at all the exclusives c’mon dude don’t bullshit me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4psKYpfnYs

PS: http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/30/sony-signs-21-publishers-for-exclusive-playstation-content/

#79 12 months ago
  80. Gigabomber

Edge are muckrakers. We need to see a genuine 3rd party game developed for both consoles.

#80 12 months ago
  81. rasmithuk

All the people worrying about them crippling the PS4 version should read the end of the Edge article where another developer claims:

‘“It would be totally fine for us to make one version prettier without any political difficulties but it usually doesn’t make financial sense,” they said, “unless it’s a very simple tweak.”’

In other words, the PS4 version will look prettier if it doesn’t cost too much to do. If it’s as easy to develop for and as powerful as they claim it shouldn’t be a problem.
    If, on the other hand, Microsoft’s system isn’t as bad as the source makes out, or better tools make up for it, there won’t be much difference.

All in all, get which ever system you’re the most interested in.

#81 12 months ago
  82. pcbros

@79 – That list is for exclusive “content”, so it could be games or useless content like new costumes.

Also, we all know both systems will EVENTUALLY have lots of great exclusive games. But not at launch. I personally can only pick out a few exclusives launch titles that grab my interest. Once games like inFamous Second Son, Uncharted 4, Warhawk, Halo 5, Gran Turismo 7, Quantum Break and Sunset Drive release, then I will consider getting one of these consoles.

I paid $600 for my PS3 and I felt I got screwed. Besides Motorstorm, I had nothing going on during launch. If I would have waited until the real good games arrived, I could have bought one for $300 – $400.

But that’s my opinion, obviously lots of people will buy both the PS4 and XB1.

#82 12 months ago
  83. AngryConsumer

funny to see so many butt hurt defenders of microsoft and its xbone here. seriously, just look at the specs of the ps4. it is the faster hardware with the better specs. if you guys want the xbone that will have worse antialising, tessellation, filtering , lower resolution and fps, your welcome to it. but the fact is the fact, the ps4 is the better console.

#83 12 months ago
  84. pcbros

@83 – seriously, just look at the specs of a high-end PC. it is the faster hardware with the better specs. if you guys want the xbone or ps4 that will have worse antialising, tessellation, filtering , lower resolution and fps, your welcome to it. but the fact is the fact, the PC is the better platform.

Funny to see so many fanboys here… just promise me you won’t cut your ballsack off if Sony asks you to.

#84 12 months ago
  85. Hcw87

It’s ps3fanboy.

#85 12 months ago
  86. Riseer

Funny reading all of the Xbots cry because MS fked up this time around.No matter how good the Api is that 32mb of ESram is a fking joke.Sony/Cerny knew Ps3 was a motherfker to work with.MS on the other hand had a more straight forward console that used unified memory and a developer friendly cpu.Now the roles are reversed and all of the xbots hate it,MS was going for a all in one box..not a gaming console.Esram/DDR3 isn’t the best solution for a gaming console.

Also look at the Gpu difference,it’s not like these devs have to jump through hoops to get the performance they need.Also those who think DX11.2 is the best thing around..think again Open GL 4.4 has better performance and is more efficient then DX11.2

MS lied in your faces the same way Sony did in 06..get over it move on.I have not read one story that paints Xbone as a more powerful console at least from a developers standpoint.Seems Ps4 gets those stories..and facts.

#86 12 months ago
  87. Riseer

#84..fucking Pc elitist get the fuck out of here this is about two consoles not a fucking Pc.

#87 12 months ago
  88. Hcw87

That’s funny, it seems you’re doing all the crying here.

#88 12 months ago
  89. Panthro

@87 why you so upset? He only pointed out that to get the best performance and quality you need a PC, grow a dick and stop crying.

Better yet, why not join in the discussion and write something useful? Maybe use some intellect and talk about why consoles have better anti aliasing, tessellation, texture filtering, higher resolutions and higher frames per second?

Its such a shame most people with consoles (the fanboys anyway) are unable to discuss things like human beings and resort to resort being pricks, its the loud mouths like you who give console gamers a bad name.

#89 12 months ago
  90. Riseer

#83,well the xbots figured since the Ps3 was a letdown Sony would surely fk up the Ps4 as well.What they fail to realize is both consoles are the same as in unified shaders and 8 gigs of ram,the sad thing is most think all of the market Pr MS did was true.

Xbots wanted to call out GDDR5 calling it slow while in fact DDr3 is the worse memory you could use for a gaming console.GDDR5 is a mature memory configuration,latency isn’t an issue like many had believed.

Sony took time to build a balanced console,can it compete with a high end Pc…it’s not supposed to.I am not even calling Xbone a PoS i am saying Sony took time building a ”Gaming console” for Cost/Performance.

#90 12 months ago
  91. Riseer

#89,how about you stfu…

#91 12 months ago
  92. DSB

But guys. Guys! Guys…

…. The power of the cloud.

#dealwithit

I love how you can basically formulate a whole argument using nothing but Microsoft fuck-ups.

Seriously though, they’re having a rough year aren’t they? I bet the guys at Nintendo are feeling a little bit better about themselves.

#92 12 months ago
  93. Riseer

#89 Upset really?I own a gaming Pc dipshit why do i care.This isn’t about Pc tho this is about two consoles,why don’t you piss off.

#93 12 months ago
  94. Panthro

@91 Once again you have proved my point.

#94 12 months ago
  95. Riseer

#94,you prove my point starting shit.

#95 12 months ago
  96. pcbros

@89 – Don’t pay attention to idiots like that.

Why do you think these fanboys post these ridiculous comments? They want attention.

I treat their comments like those “My sister makes $65.5 million a day working at home” comments.

100% Garbage…

#96 12 months ago
  97. Riseer

#94 If this was about comparing Pc to Ps4/Xbone I wouldn’t had commented.I just have an issue when you bring in a platform that isn’t closed and can be upgraded every 6 months.If MS or Sony released a 1k console you think anyone would buy it?

#97 12 months ago
  98. Riseer

#pcbro go suck off Pantro elsewhere thxs…

#98 12 months ago
  99. Hcw87

Ok guys, looks like we may have a repeat of yesterday! Get your popcorn ready.

Now, are you going to mention Major Nelson’s butthole aswell to spice things up?

#99 12 months ago
  100. DSB

^^ Weak shit.

#100 12 months ago
  101. Panthro

@96 I didnt start any ‘shit’

Your the one who started being a nasty pasty to the others users.

@96 Hahaha I know, I just cant help it. Its like feeding the animals at the zoo even when the signs tell you not to.

#101 12 months ago
  102. Riseer

Assholes like Pcbro and Panthro are reason why flame wars happen in the first place.

#102 12 months ago
  103. Riseer

I called him a Pc elitist…DEALWITHIT..

#103 12 months ago
  104. Panthro

@102 Whaaaaaat? The reason flame wars begin is because people like you cant control your temper when you see someone else’s opinion if it differs from yours.

I have not once said consoles were shit, I enjoy playing some games on a console, they have there advantages and disadvantages.

#104 12 months ago
  105. Riseer

I think Panthro might be Major Nelson…

#105 12 months ago
  106. pcbros

@97 – If you are referring to my comment at #84, I was just poking fun at #83.

But my point is that if people want to worship specs, then both systems fall short to the PC. So calling the PS4 the better platform because of specs if pointless.

By the way I can build a PC that will out run any of these consoles for less than $600 (and if you go with Linux, that’s $500). You don’t need $1k.

#106 12 months ago
  107. Riseer

Temper?really i am annoyed by the Pc elitist that is all.

#107 12 months ago
  108. Riseer

Pcbro you know i was talking about Sony and MS right?

#108 12 months ago
  109. Panthro

@105 Awhhh you caught me red-handed!

Since you now know who I am do you want me to send you a signed topless poster to add to your collection?

#109 12 months ago
  110. Panthro

@107 Hes hardly an elitist from just pointing out that you get better tessellation, AA, Resolution etc. on a gaming PC, that’s just fact.

Even when I used to primarily game on my PS3 and 360 I knew a gaming PC would outperform both because I wasn’t not blind.

#110 12 months ago
  111. Riseer

Pc as a whole are much much more powerful then any console.Nor did i said anything that paints consoles as more powerful.What i was saying was this is a post about two competing consoles in the same market.I don’t compare consoles to Pc’s because well their isn’t a comparison.You buy a console to play games,a typical non tech person does not want to deal with drivers and installing stuff,dealing with crashes.Pc has infinite legs while consoles legs are short.I think this gen Pc gamers will get the best treat because Ps4/Xbone favor Pc.

#111 12 months ago
  112. Riseer

#109 i already have one ;) thxs tho.

#112 12 months ago
  113. pcbros

@110 – Ignore this idiot. The fact that he keeps calling me a “PC elitist” says a lot about him. Fanboys always resort to name calling and using curse words in every sentence.

Maybe he’s mad that his Commodore 64 can’t handle Wolfenstein.

Either way, I appreciate the help but I’m out.

#113 12 months ago
  114. Riseer

LOL #113,so calling you a Pc elitist hurts your feelings?Geeze i thought i had mental issues…

#114 12 months ago
  115. Riseer

The fact is pcbro I didn’t say anything beyond ”Pc elitist” if that bothers you that much you shouldn’t post.After all the crap you and Panthro said about me I have no issues with you two.

#115 12 months ago
  116. nollie4545

I absolutely LOVE watching console fanbois argue about their respective systems and talk about their faster GDDR5 RAM or ESRAM or 150mhz increase in speed will suddenly mean one console will manage 1900 x 1080 at 60fps whereas the other will onyl do 20fps at 900 x 600….

How you can make such ridiculously outlandish claims I have no idea. Any PC gamer with any sense would tell you that:

-RAM speeds or capacities- generally make fuck all difference.

And that:

Seriously, calm it down. I am sure both systems will run Butthurtfilled 4 or Failofduty19 as well as the other, (ie with no tessellation or anti aliasing due to the cheap as GPU they have bundled you) and in fact the only let down will be the cheap Chinese flat screen TV you plug it into.

#116 12 months ago
  117. Eon

Oh, hello, irrelevant comments, surprised to see you here!…cough.

Not one to take note of Edge, found it to be lacking over the past few years compared to its earlier days. However, it seems a given from the reports that PS4 will be able to out punch the X1 in power and speed to an extent. I don’t think that will be noticeable until perhaps year 3 of the new cycle though.

I find it interesting the debates over the power of the consoles though. It has always been an argument that crops up each generation, although I don’t believe it’s ever really had a strong effect on the outcome of the consoles sales/success.

The weaker console spec wise has often succeeded the stronger consoles in the past. As we all know, it will ultimately boil down to software and the support said software receives. Where PS4 may have the graphically supreme titles down the line, the Xbox may succeed more due to their advantages with Xbox Live. Who knows! I’d certainly like to see more discussions about what each console may have over the other outside of the obvious ones currently mentioned.

One thing’s for sure, they both can’t come soon enough!

#117 12 months ago
  118. Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft’s response has been posted at the end of the article.

#118 12 months ago
  119. wildBoar

Since there were such a fuzz and soo many people trying to discredit this article I’ll just add for the record that Edge actually stated these were “high-level development sources”, and considering that these are multiple unrelated sources it’s pretty strong indication that this is substantial shit. Like someone else pointed out, the Kinect propably costs more than a 100$ to produce as well, so maybe the difference between the two really has been downplayed. But we’ll see.

#119 12 months ago
  120. DarkElfa

I like how you ban some accounts and the next day a bunch of assholes on new accounts start screwing up the comments section again.

#120 12 months ago
  121. Hcw87

This isn’t anything like it was yesterday.

Noone has told you to let Major Nelson’s butthole suck you off yet (yes that really happened yesterday).

#121 12 months ago
  122. DarkElfa

Oh I know, I read that bastard of a thread.

#122 12 months ago
  123. Panthro

Abusive and idiotic accounts should be account banned and then IP banned if they make a second account and try to continue.

#123 12 months ago
  124. Kreion

If the difference had been downplayed surely we would have noticed it? :/ Maybe it’s something that will become more apparent when the 3rd party games start coming out rather than the 1st party stuff.

#124 12 months ago
  125. Hcw87

#125 12 months ago
  126. fearmonkey

@116 – “-an extra 150mhz is probably as much use as a fly buzzing into your case, landing inside and donating itself as CPU cache.”

LMAO – I loved that analogy.

I sometimes think we have somehow ended up in a bizarro world where everything is turned around. Ms’s response sounds like Sony’s when they talked about the PS2 complexity and the PS3 complexity.

MS can’t really come out and tell us the truth right now (though their engineers were honest about it initially during the reveal). The truth is that they made a less powerful console on purpose so they could have Kinect and media functions (like the HDMI input). Their focus was that TV TV Sports Sports stuff that they initially showed, and which drew a ton of criticism.

MS could eventually prove to be right though, if they make Kinect and the media functions so awesome that its amazing and everyone wants it, then graphics won’t matter as much. For me, I could care less about that, so I go with the PS4.

I get tired of the argument that if you care about graphics, get a PC though. I love consoles and I love PC’s, I want both to be powerful.
    Consoles always have less powerful hardware than PC’s yet they can do so much with that hardware that the PC’s rely on brute force to do.
    I don’t expect my PS4 to run my games at 2560x1440p like my PC and thats ok.

The PS4 is more my thing (No kinect and more powerful box), so i am switching from Xbox to PS4 this gen, at least at launch.

#126 12 months ago
  127. wildBoar

@126 to you, a whole fuckton of +1s. That’s it, this is all the arguments and reasoning we need. This comments section should just end here, it brings tears to my eyes to see that vg247 is straightening itself out. There’s nothing more to be said that’s worthile, comment’s section closed, move on to the next topic people.

#127 12 months ago
  128. Joe Musashi

@125 Your “I’m just going to post this link and walk away” effort doesn’t really look so good if you actually, y’know, read that article and count the amount of factual details presented in that opinion piece.

Also, has anyone else noticed just how many comments on rumour and speculation Micrsoft are making – for a company who are famous for declaring how they “don’t comment on rumour and speculation”?

Vacuous waffle such as “is much more complex than what any single figure can convey.” runs contrary to their eagerness to talk about a single figure of mhz improvements or single figure of [virtual] servers – as they have been so fond of doing recently.

If the best damage control PR you can execute is some ambiguous dismissal that contradicts your own previous behaviour, you’re better off saying nothing.

And I’d extend the above sentiment to anyone. Whether they be a company spokesperson or someone commenting on a news article.

JM

#128 12 months ago
  129. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Guys really stop whining -__- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL8e2ujXe8g

It’s simple alright or don’t you understand anything about math?

PS4 1,84 Teraflops
    Xbone 1,2 Teraflops

So which one is faster? C’mon dummies

#129 12 months ago
  130. pcbros

@126 – “I get tired of the argument that if you care about graphics, get a PC though”

It’s just annoying when pinheads claim that a more powerful console = better console. I just like to mention PCs to put things in perspective of how little power really means.

The games will speak for themselves…

#130 12 months ago
  131. SplatteredHouse

“Xbox One architecture is much more complex than what any single figure can convey.”

The Power of the Cloud retort strikes again! @.@ I’m not even trolling, but is that the only record that Microsoft’s shambolic PR operation has to play…

#131 12 months ago
  132. xxJPRACERxx

@129 These TFLOPS figures are theoretical, with 100% efficiency which is not possible in real life. That’s a best case scenario.

That’s why I said earlier that one important thing is how both consoles will manage to keep both the CPU and GPU busy, efficiency.

MS did a lot of profiling to see where major bottlenecks are and build the console from their findings.

95% of 1.2 TFLOPS is almost on par compared to 70% of 1.84.

I’m not saying the X1 is better/efficient or worse than the PS4 but we can’t know until both consoles will have final drivers and SDK ready and true final hardware specs and architecture will be revealed.

@131 What he said is true though, you can’t judge just by looking at numbers. These consoles are complex and even though they use x86/64 CPU and GPU parts their actual design architecture are completely different.

#132 12 months ago
  133. II-WAR-STEINER-II

xxJPRACERxx lol

That is ur own interpretation…

So i know not at all alone that MS sucks…

MS PR is worst their whole product is lame so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNPvd0HE7Kk

You’re talking too much like 120% here, look, i believe in Developers you know not in fanboys alright

BTW: What did AMD say over the power? They said PS4 is the number 1

So i believe in Developers and AMD

nuff said

#133 12 months ago
  134. Panthro

@132 Sony wouldn’t waste there time and money packing in the extra 0.6 teraflops just to let 30% of it go to waste, they would have taken careful steps and done alot of testing to see if anything causes bottlenecks.

In the end its up to the developers of the games to use the power given from both consoles to show there power.

And If these figures are correct, in a few years time the PS4 will have some top quality looking games coming from naughty dog and Guerrilla Games that will show the differences in power from the PS4 and X1

#134 12 months ago
  135. monkeygourmet

Edge seem so un-biased these days:

Did MS shit in their soup or something?

#135 12 months ago
  136. II-WAR-STEINER-II

But it’s true a 349 brand-new console a brand-new controller 54 with tremendous power for the next 7 years…

Xbone fucked up…

#136 12 months ago
  137. Joe Musashi

“Edge seem so un-biased these days”.

“Edge seem so un-biased these days”.

JM

#137 12 months ago
  138. xxJPRACERxx

@133 That’s not my own interpretation, that’s how computers work. PC, consoles, tablets.. it’s the same thing. You can’t achieve 100% efficiency, it’s not possible.

In the end all I’m saying is these performance figures are just that, theoretical performance figures. These are complex machines and it would be a mistake to judge overall performance only by looking at these numbers.

Also, right now, I have more trust in John Carmack who said there’s not a lot of difference between the 2 consoles than of anonymous devs.

I’ve got a 360 and a PS3 and plan on getting both a X1 and PS4. I’m a gamer, I play games. I don’t care if the game is running on a Sony machine or a MS one.

#138 12 months ago
  139. nollie4545

Oh shit man, now its all about teh FLOPs. ‘My bonebox has more FLOPS than your FAILBOX with its 150mhz less and much lower FLOPS!’.

Fucksake man, this isn’t school yard top trumps you silly shit of a man.

At the end of the day I guess it will be like the PC world. Certain developers will favour one machine and manage to optimise their software better on one console than the other. And likewise another developer will manage the reverse. Just as we have some games which appear to run better on AMD card vs Nvidia cards and vice versa.

In any event, it will be impossible to determine either machine as being an outright winner without serious benchmarking tools, which neither console maker is going to provide. Nor are they going to allow a developer to release a title knowing it could make their console look daft.

Only with synethetic benchmarkets can you often tell differences in the PC world. Some are virtually undetectable to the human player, unless of course you compare two systems at complete polar opposites.

In any event, I will bet anyone 50 bucks right now, neither next gen console is going to maxing out the latest PC titles at ultra or very high quality pre-sets. Crysis 3, for example, is a massive load for any modern GPU. Unified memory, on board GPU, GDDR5 or otherwise, you just aren’t going to run it flat out unless the core of the graphics processor is seriously top notch, and they have already announced neither machine has a particularly impressive GPU or CPU component.

#139 12 months ago
  140. II-WAR-STEINER-II

@138 no problem…

1st of all im a human and i hate liar like MS… The next point, AMD said the truth. They are manufacturer so i don’t need Carmack or Cerny or anything else.

#140 12 months ago
  141. monkeygourmet

@Joe Musashi

Ha!

Well, yeah I guess they’ve always been arseholes then.

The cover I linked strikes me as it also features a headline about MS fucking up so badly aswell as the ‘pro-Sony’ PS4 dominated center spread.

Now, these rumours could well be true, but Edge seem to be relishing in their publication…

#141 12 months ago
  142. Dragon246

@137,

#142 12 months ago
  143. pcbros

@139 – lol, It’s all about “teh powah of da flops”! :)

Reality Check: The PS3 had around 3x the flops of the 360 (link).

Did it make a difference? Actually at times Xbox 360 games looked better (link).

The PS4 has about 1.5x the flops of the XB1…

#143 12 months ago
  144. wildBoar

@135 You’ve already forgotten how terribly Microsoft was fucking shit up left and right when that issue was made?

Quite the selective memory you’ve got there, using that cover as “evidence” however holds no weight, Edge has no moral obligation to favor both consoles equally as long as they remain fairly objective, especially not when at the time the competition was a draconian NSA anti-consumer spydrone.

#144 12 months ago
  145. monkeygourmet

I did already mention that in @141

#145 12 months ago
  146. Kreion

To play devils advocate here: most people accept that whilst the PS3 had more power, the cell architecture made it harder for developers to actually use that power. The result was the the PS3 versions of games only really tended to look more…brown but it was really not something that was noticeable.

Graphics only really come into play if there’s a big fps difference, or if I – whilst playing a game on one console – can notice that it is better or worse than another without having the other one right there. If it’s something that’s only noticeable in side-by-side comparisons then it’s likely not something really worth getting excited over.

Since I don’t really care about graphics beyond that, I am much more interested in which system has the slickest UI. If the multi-tasking on the X1 works well I will adore it, but it might slow down the UI which would be a pain in the ass -.- So I’ll wait for some videos to comment on that.

#146 12 months ago
  147. Ekona

I do find the MS reply somewhat disturbing, if I’m honest. As an Xbone-confirmed gamer, whilst I’m not overly worried if the system is less powerful overall as the 360/PS3 differences show, I am worried about them calling it “complicated”. The PS3 was “complicated”, and a PITA to program for which is why developers struggled to get the most out of it and the 360 routinely gave better performance despite being the weaker console.

A few PR mishaps don’t concern me with the Xbone at all, but calling your console complicated? That’s not good. I just hope it’s poor wording, and that devs will find it just as easy to program for as the 360.

As always, I await the coming years with interest.

#147 12 months ago
  148. G1GAHURTZ

At the end of the day, with all of this supposed extra power that the PS4 has, it doesn’t have a single launch title that demonstrates it.

They’ve put out stuff like Knack, which literally looks like it could have been done on PS3 with ease, and nothing that they’ve shown looks like it’s anywhere near 50% better looking than X1 stuff.

So where is the proof?

#148 12 months ago
  149. Fin

That MS actually responded, rather than “We don’t comment on rumours or speculation” tells you all you need to know.
    [it's all true]

#149 12 months ago
  150. DrDamn

Yeah cos Knack is the poster child for PS4 powah isn’t it? Lococyle looks rubbish therefore X1 must be shit.

Very PS3 … http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images_knack-22863-2.html

#150 12 months ago
  151. ps4fanboy

haha! just after one of the MS employees tried to ddown play the differences among the two consoles this comes out :D

#151 12 months ago
  152. Lengendaryboss

^ Hes duplicating, RUN FOREST, RUN!

#152 12 months ago
  153. G1GAHURTZ

@151:

lol!

So exactly which game is the ‘poster child’, Mr sensitive?

#153 12 months ago
  154. zoopdeloop

@149 yeah because that’s what matters launch titles and then everything that comes after is pretty much the same…get real.A lot of you expect everything from the get go.It’s like having a partner and go everywhere do everything within the first month and then afterwards things become stale

Sony doesn’t work that way.Ps3′s launch titles were also weak but we know what came afterwards…

As for Knack,it’s primarly targeted on a younger audience.What did you expect!?

#154 12 months ago
  155. ps4fanboy

@153 hey dude or gal whatever you are! whats that suppose to mean?

#155 12 months ago
  156. AngryConsumer

so microsoft felt the need to actually responded, rather than give the ‘we dont comment’. so now suddenly it is all about the FLOPS, before it was the POWER OF THE CLOUD, LMFAO!!… they must think people are stupid. because the fact is on the paper, the ps4 is the better and faster hardware, and we deal in reality with ghz and ram. this tells you all you need to know. microsofts are so desperate that its cringe worthy… if you buy the xbone product, you are dumb and dumber, there is no excuse left anymore.

#156 12 months ago
  157. Lengendaryboss

Don’t play dumb PS3fanboy, Angryconsumer.

#157 12 months ago
  158. CyberMarco

I think ps4fanboy is another person, but ps3fanboy=AngryConsumer

#158 12 months ago
  159. G1GAHURTZ

Lets not forget that the Xbox division is now being run by a new boss, and she’s clearly doing things differently…

MS are now actively engaging with consumers, rather than giving out ivory tower responses.

@155:

Who cares if it’s ‘only’ a launch title. PS4′s poor launch titles don’t look 50% better than X1′s poor launch titles, even though according to statements like “Xbox One is weaker and it’s a pain to use its ESRAM.” that should clearly be the case, should it not?

If I have a ‘stronger‘ console which is ‘easier‘ to get more out of, it should be reflected in my games. Even more so, when my games and the games of an allegedly “weaker” console, which is a “pain” to develop for, are at exactly the same stage in the console cycle.

#159 12 months ago
  160. zoopdeloop

They don’t,they pretty much look the same although some look better on One others on PS4, things going to progress within their life cycle.The point is which will have the better proggression.As of now specs show the ps4 but will third party developers take full advantage of it even if it’s easy while hurting the all mighty Mircrosoft?Surely first party will…not at launch though (sony doesn’t show off so early as to keep the interest and the surprise element high)

#160 12 months ago
  161. DrDamn

@G1GA
    Shit argument is a shit argument. Why are you trying to compare apples and oranges. If you really care about any performance difference at launch it will be apparent in the third party stuff. Why not try and make your point without attacking something else?

Also why are you looking for a 50% difference in games when all these devs are saying is certain important aspects are 50% faster.

#161 12 months ago
  162. Erthazus

@G1GA,
    “So where is the proof?”
    you can’t judge the launch titles.
    If you look at the PS3 and even 360. They started to show what consoles are capable off only from 2008 to 2009 and maybe 2010.

but if you really want to see Next gen title. you should see infamous:Second Son.
    It looks good and uses a lot of particles.

#162 12 months ago
  163. laughing-gravy

Killzone SF, Infamous Second Son and The Order 1886 look better than anything MSoft have shown. The Ryse videos look nothing like the actual playable build, IGN trashed that game “It did not look next gen”.

#163 12 months ago
  164. AngryConsumer

@160G1GA clearly microsoft have lost it now totally, like 110% beyond repair. i think the xbone buyers will be in for a shock nextgen, the developers favorite is the ps4. because of how easy it is to develop for and stronger hardware. so the xbone owners will have to get used to get the less better games, if not they choose the ps4 that is. who can you blame for this?, sure not sony but microsoft them selves. that didnt keep up with what was going on, and focus was on the tv and drm not games.

#164 12 months ago
  165. Moonwalker1982

Wow we can already judge games we haven’t seen ANY gameplay of? Cause that is The Order 1886. Ryse DOES look like that in singleplayer, I was at Gamescom behind closed doors at Microsoft’s booth and with Crytek and they showed exactly what they have been showing recently. The grass landscape, the forest, pure beauty…the MP is disappointing. Heh, Ryse was the only true next-gen looking game at GC. Probably along with KZ SF, but we didn’t see it.

We can start talking about Driveclub and Forza 5? Lol.

#165 12 months ago
  166. sg1974

“Xbox One’s architecture “is much more complex than what any single figure can convey.””

So funny. I don’t know how to convey in words how funny this is.

So funny.

#166 12 months ago
  167. G1GAHURTZ

@161:

Agreed. Which makes the claims of PS4 being the clear technical leader all the more surprising. If it’s true, why aren’t Sony able to push their games to make the difference clearly visible? Is it because they’re not able to (tech differences are irrelevant), or because they (or their 1st party devs) aren’t good enough to?

It must be one or the other if the X1 really is so much “weaker”.

@162:

What did I attack? Why are you overreacting? I’m simply asking you to show me the PS4 game that backs up these claims that the X1 is the “weaker” console. You mocked my Knack example, so where is the showcase game?

So what’s the point of mentioning any percentage difference at all if these numbers don’t translate into equal percentages in-game?

Why do they suddenly mean that the X1 is “weaker”?

If there’s no direct correlation, like you say, do they even mean anything at all? The proof must be in the games, and there’s a distinct lack of it, right now.

That’s all I’m saying.

@163:

You can judge launch titles. You can compare them, too. Then after a few years, you might also judge and compare newer titles.

Saying that launch titles don’t mean anything doesn’t make sense.

#167 12 months ago
  168. laughing-gravy

@166 We’ve seen plenty of the game engine none of that is target footage. And Infamous and Killzone stands true. Forza is more baked than a potato. Static lights, shadows, fake reflections etc. I’ve seen the Ryse single player too and it doesn’t look next gen in action, the cut scenes possibly but that’s streamed from disc.

#168 12 months ago
  169. zoopdeloop

the whole argument with people (Xbox fans) thinking ps4 launch titles didn’t looked next gen comes from Knack and the comparison of Driveclub with Forza
    Knack is a cartoon style game (don’t expect much graphical fidelity there)
    while Driveclub isn’t GT7 to even compare

As for the lower perfomance of some ps4′s launch titles (30fps)which is the other argument…Dead Rising 3 (struggling to maintain that performance while looking last next)and Killer Instict (unacceptable since fighters got less going on screen and it doesn’t look next gen either)

#169 12 months ago
  170. Erthazus

@G1GA, Launch titles does not show anything because developers are trying to learn something about the hardware.
    So far games that are for Xbox One and PS4 are more like enchanced PS3, 360 version of games.

All of the games that they shown on both consoles can be on the PS3 and 360 without 1080p, better frame rates, Anti-aliasing, filters, shadows, decent graphical features and stuff.

Technology requires a research. News engines are coming for both consoles. We didn’t even see a single good AAA title on Unreal Engine 4 for example.

you can’t judge anything right now. You just can’t. consoles are not even out there on the market.

#170 12 months ago
  171. sg1974

1. Some game developers express an opinion about hardware they are working on.

2. A bunch of people who have never been in the same room as said hardware let alone worked with one insist they are all wrong because they saw a trailer on YouTube which looked good/bad.

So funny.

#171 12 months ago
  172. CyberMarco

+1 :P

#172 12 months ago
  173. zoopdeloop

“I disagree. You don’t come out with average stuff in this industry, hoping that consumers will be patient, and that they will wait 2 or 3 years for devs to make better games. You come out all guns blazing.”

No but you have to keep things fresh for the whole cycle which translates not coming out all guns blazing from the get go.
    Isn’t Microsoft going that direction too?With the difference being that Sony got something handy like their hardware’s specs to show off within the whole cycle while Microsoft has the questionable power of the cloud

#173 12 months ago
  174. II-WAR-STEINER-II

And all games running on devs @172

But trust me i can feel the power of the PS4 this console is so strong i can not believe :)

You know it’s something like this

#174 12 months ago
  175. Javinator

People are going back and forth as to which system has superior graphics.

But I say this: Talk is cheap. SHOW ME the difference.

And I have found the perfect comparison:

-Xbox One’s Forza 5 has been hailed as having the “best graphics” of any next gen game, running at 60 fps, at 1080p mind you.

-PS4′s Drive Club has been said to have “PS3 graphics”, and its running only at 30 fps? What?

Sorry, proof is in the pudding.

Sold on the Xbox One.

Sticking with that pre-order. Not bothering with the PS4.

Plus, Here’s a HUGE determining factor:

-Xbox One has DEDICATED SERVERS.

-PS4 does NOT.

CoD, BF4, Forza, Halo all CONFIRMED to have Dedicated Servers.

No lag, hacking, or cheating. Sold.

Not interested in pay $400 to play indie games.

#175 12 months ago
  176. Kreion

I wish people would stop comparing Dead Rising 3 to PS4 titles which are in no way similar. I’m pretty sure DR3 would run fine if it could make do with only a few enemies on the screen like Shadowfall and such do, but it’s a zombie game and has to have a whole lot more.

But Forza – Driveclub is a legitimate comparison: they are both racing games with similar styles. You’re right that Forza should really be compared to GT but there is no GT to compare it to so what else are you going to do? Anyone with half a brain should be able to go “Forza will look better than Driveclub because Forza is 1st party – GT7 will likely look even better because the devs will have had more time with the hardware” Notice that actual graphical ability of the machines isn’t relevant by the way.

But don’t get all high and mighty with the “(Xbox fans)” PS4 fans have been just as quick to try and point out problems with X1 games on display. It’d be nice if both parties could just stop and wait until release at least to get all stupid, but oh well.

#176 12 months ago
  177. II-WAR-STEINER-II

#176

Puh you’r not a fanboy u r a lil liar haha

Btw Xbox get hacked and break at day 1 i tell you so cheating and hacking is simple on Xbox.

@177 did you see Deep Down?

#177 12 months ago
  178. sg1974

Proof is in the pudding? Lucky bastard, what with you having the retail consoles and games in your hands already! I guess the rest of us will have to wait until November.

#178 12 months ago
  179. G1GAHURTZ

@171:

I agree with almost everything you said there. However, all this talk of more power leaves me expecting more than is currently on display.

@174:

Both Sony and MS appear to have already had something to keep things fresh planned for a long time. MS with its AR Kinect glasses, and Sony with its VR headset.

I’m not sure that I’d see the logic in intentionally gimping your games, when devs should be able to produce better stuff over time, anyway.

#179 12 months ago
  180. DrDamn

@G1GA
    It’s a pointless argument. You want to compare apples and oranges and somehow prove something.

The only games you can compare – if you really give a toss – are cross platform title. Even Forza V to DC you are comparing very different lighting models, track detail, different artists and different teams. Pointless. Compare whether you want to play game A or game B. Isn’t that the crux of it?

#180 12 months ago
  181. zinc

I don’t care that the 360 has better multiplat games, I have a PS3.

I don’t care what some Devs say, I knew what next-gen console I was getting first, years ago.

Just like 99% of the posters here.

#181 12 months ago
  182. Kalain

I remember reading several comments in the past where people were saying that Graphics don’t matter, it’s gameplay that counts.

Now in this series of comments, fired up by ‘Anonymous Devs’, it appears that Graphics do matter and gameplay has been swept aside!!

In all honesty, who cares? Do you like the games on the X1, cool, go and enjoy them. Do you like the games on the PS4, good for you now go play them. It’s like kids arguing at school over which football team is the best or who’s dad is bigger.

It’s all pointless. I think that people should be talking about gameplay or with this new ‘Power’, what could be achieved? That would make for much better reading after a nightshift :)

#182 12 months ago
  183. DrDamn

Get out of here with that craziness! ;)

#183 12 months ago
  184. ps4fanboy

@Legendaryboss my username was inspired by ps3fanboy’s but then that guy started posting insane comments. i am not him.

#184 12 months ago
  185. ununhex

Stop the pissing contest, Microsoft has a point, memory reads and ALU speeds can be very relevant sometimes and they can also mean shit a lot of times, but in this case they really do mean shit because they’re calling out those figures to illustrate how well consoles will play games when those figures can be pretty much irrelevant in what comes to gaming performance.

#185 12 months ago
  186. Toastrules

@ps4fanboy He’s always posted insane comments

#186 12 months ago
  187. Ireland Michael

This is still going?

Sometimes I wonder if you people ever actually play games. =P

#187 12 months ago
  188. DarkElfa

Who gives a flying turtle fuck which of these consoles is more powerful?!

Do they have good games, that’s all that really matters.

#188 12 months ago
  189. ps4fanboy

@187 i am a fairly new user. made my account after PS4 announcement. i thought the comments made by him were hilarious at first but then it turned out that hes a wierdo.

#189 12 months ago
  190. wildBoar

There’s this fairly theoretical article for those who actually care about the topic and not just yelling fanboy nonsense at people.. aka: no one on vg247.

#190 12 months ago
  191. Dragon246

Ya know, just wait for the comparison videos and analysis that will inevitably crop up, DF ones are very good.
    I guess some people are gooooing to be disappointed :D

#191 12 months ago
  192. monkeygourmet

You Sony fanboys must tell everyone how you felt after losing so many DF face offs with the PS3. That way, your knowledge of butt hurt will potentially help Xbone owners through the difficult period of owning the inferior console for multiplats.

Oh, I forgot, you didn’t take it on the chin atall, did you?

#192 12 months ago
  193. wildBoar

If only you could downvote comments on this site, though that doesn’t go nearly far enough to cover bile like this…

#193 12 months ago
  194. sg1974

PS3 fanbois whined then. One fanbois whine now. Both sides are bad as each other. Try acknowledging that instead of acting like one side (oh look, your side) is better than the other.

360 fanbois crowed then, PS4 fanbois crow now. Deal with it.

#194 12 months ago
  195. Dragon246

@194,
    Ah, ignoring the trolls works best, especially the ones banned earlier.
    Like dear Lee Wilson aka monkeygourmet of #193 :D
    Poor fellow, seems obsessed with me. Am I too charming? :P

#195 12 months ago
  196. monkeygourmet

How melodramatic…

We’re commenting on a rumour from a dev of a rumoured percentage they have potentially pulled out of their ass…

Until launch comes and the consoles settle, we won’t know who has the most stable / powerful platform.

Other people however, seem to have already come to a conclusion.

#196 12 months ago
  197. monkeygourmet

You have no problem with people being banned. You often join sides with people who have been banned when it suits you.

The technical term is ‘a Snake’.

#197 12 months ago
  198. monkeygourmet

I’m PS4 day 1. I’m just not gloating yet.

#198 12 months ago
  199. wildBoar

I really don’t care Monkey, it’s just the obnoxious tone certain people use or the deliberate misinterpretation you or other people spread that’s annoying. Such as that the article clearly states “multiple, high-level development sources” and here you are suggesting they’re made up or something?

PS4 can be the steaming pile of shit you wish it to be for all I care, it would be nice if people could act maturely on this site however, and don’t think I’m gonna indulge you any further… Nor should anyone.

#199 12 months ago
  200. absolutezero

“I like it when trolls get banned.”

“Let me post an obvious troll comment and then act like a cunt about it.”

“passive aggressive smiley face”

#200 12 months ago
  201. monkeygourmet

No. I’m suggesting, until the consoles are out, people shouldn’t be celebrating. Sony fans particularly should know how it feels to have over promised tech and then the reality ‘pie’.

I’m Ps4 day one, but not for one second do I think I have seen anything that proves the 50% power increase over Xbone. Maybe some multiplatform stuff 2 years down the line, but not atall yet.

So, from that perspective, this is all hogwash till I can see the proof.

#201 12 months ago
  202. monkeygourmet

Dat passive aggressive smiley face…

Hit the nail on the head there.

#202 12 months ago
  203. monkeygourmet

@Dragon

What’s with the weak ass stealth edit about me being obsessed with you…?

Are you mental?

Remember… You seem to be stalking me and keep looking at my picture I posted and the details. You keep using my real name, and you accuse ME of being OBSESSED?!!!

The only reason I don’t report your ass is because I work with people with learning difficulties and think you may have some problems of your own…

Do you want me to show people your weird stalking like or are you going to go bye bye now?

#203 12 months ago
  204. monkeygourmet

LMAO

That’s one way to stop a thread!

Edit:

4 Hit Combo!!! No breaker!!? :)

#204 12 months ago
  205. zinc

MS has the cloud, Sony has teh power…?

Monkey Magic versus Masters of the Universe! ?

#205 12 months ago
  206. Lengendaryboss

Hm? Da Man?

Topic i honestly thought this would die down by now, a little late but…

There are only so many times i could link the above.

Whats been echoed Teh cloud, teh power, teh games, teh nerds, teh magic… http://25.media.tumblr.com/b6050140d8f3fd9d33e7aef3a65be025/tumblr_migenwDkbY1rqa0yeo1_250.gif

Continued: teh FPS, Teh Resolution, Teh Stalking only a few points echoed so far.

#206 12 months ago
  207. Lengendaryboss

Hm? Da Man?

Topic of discussion: i honestly thought this would have die down by now, a little late but…

There are only so many times i could link the above.

#207 12 months ago
  208. Lengendaryboss

One word exposed you, another similarity confirmed who you really are.

#208 12 months ago
  209. Lengendaryboss

If only I cared for your personal remarks, alas i don’t.

#209 12 months ago
  210. Biscuitpants

ifthis is true then im guessing all 3rd party games are gunna be the same on both platforms while ps4 exclusives will be graphically better, xbox one it is then

#210 12 months ago
  211. monkeygourmet

Beelarg…,

Don’t know why all the numbers are pissed up?!

Only assume Daves on the Buckie init chav…

Many lol’s…