Gridiron Thunder will launch later this month, after being funded through Kickstarter with the help of Ouya’s Free the Games Fund. Recently, the game’s financial backing has caused a wave of controversy, with the head of the game’s development team stating the funding was investigated and nothing sketchy was found.
We reported on the outcry here, in which the game was successfully funded on Kickstarter to the tune of $75,000, but with only just 126 backers.
Regardless, CEO of developer MogoTXT Andrew Won has told Joystiq that the game will hit Ouya on September 30 as a six-month exclusive, as per the initial deal with the platform holder. He also said his funding was investigated and no wrong doing was found.
“Kickstarter conducted a full investigation and found nothing wrong with our campaign,” he told the site. “This is conclusive and our campaign came to a successful close last Sunday. I’ve answered the same question many times and I have nothing more to add. There is nothing left to discuss.”
Speaking with Polygon at the time accusations first surfaced, Won countered, “Some of the first accusations made against us was that we were scam artists who would take the money and run and not build the game that we promised.
“They made this accusation despite the fact that the developers on my team previously worked at companies like EA, Kixeye, Glu and so forth. Did they really think that all 10 of us would run off to Bermuda or the Bahamas with $78,000. It’s almost comical. The current accusations are in the same vein. While we can’t stop people from making baseless accusations, we will prove them all wrong again.”
Let us know what you make of this thorny issue below.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.