Soul Calibur: Lost Swords is free to play and coming to the PlayStation 3

Wednesday, 11th September 2013 05:36 GMT By Ewan Miller

Another short one, new scans of Weekly Famitsu have revealed that Soul Calibur: Lost Swords is actually a free to play version of everyone’s favourite weapons based 3D fighter with outrageous costumes and is in active development for the PlayStation 3. There are no other details at this time, the most comes as a part of Namco Bandai’s renewed interest in free to play, with titles like Ridge Racer Driftopia and Tekken Revolution.

Presumably the game will follow a similar model to Tekken Revolution, in which you spend coloured coins in order to play online and win more coins if you win a match. These coins also regenerate over time, or you could of course, buy them. It will be interesting to see if the character leveling system from Tekken Revolution will make it across to Lost Swords, as I don’t think the series has had straight up progression since Soul Calibur 3′s Chronicles of the Sword mode.

Which was a good time. I should play some Soul Calibur 3.

Soul Calibur: Lost Swords will probably be making its way to the west as the trademark was filed a few months ago in North America.

Thanks for the translation, Gematsu.

1. monkees19

Soul Calibur 3 was a decent game but easily, in my opinion, the worst of the series. At least the main series. I try to forget Legends happened.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Clupula

Man, I wish it was SC3 that was getting the HD treatment, instead of 2. Loved, loved, loved Soulcalibur 3. It was all downhill from there.

SC3 > SC1 > SC2 > SC4

Didn’t bother with SC5 and never played Soul Edge.

#2 1 year ago
  3. salarta

I’ve played SC2, SC3, and SC4. I think personally, I’d list SC3 as best.

I skipped SC5 completely, because it forced a 17 year time skip nobody asked for just to give Daishi an excuse to kick out even major series characters like Sophitia and Taki so he could force in personal fanfic characters like Patroklos, Pyrrha and Natsu in their places.

And yes, Patroklos and Pyrrha there are technically the same ones that are supposed to be Sophitia’s children, but I refuse to acknowledge that. In my eyes, it’s not much different than when already existing characters in Squeenix IPs are drastically altered by Toriyama to fit his personal fetishes.

Anyway, I won’t be playing this at all unless Sophitia and Taki are in it as meaningful and playable characters again.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ran93r

I hope this isn’t the start of some horrible p2p trend in fighters. Would hate to think that the only updates to franchises such as these two big ones are going to follow this format.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 Trend? It’s happening now mate, I’m sorry to say.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Telepathic.Geometry

Yeah, this new gaming world may not be for all of us. I just hope there’s a little hamlet/village carved out in the land of gaming for old-timers like me who don’t want to connect all the time, or play for free for some shite.

I will say though, I am looking forward to a landslide of indie games with completely new themes and off the wall ideas. Also, big old-fashioned A or even AAA games. But the Free to Play type, where you pay using some mysterious in-game systems, so I don’t know how much I’ll end up having to pay? FUCK THAT!

Mind you, there’s no point in us whinging. Just boycott it. That’s the only way we can communicate that we don’t want to support that industry. The next generation may be cool with it, but whoever of us is against it needs to make their presence known to publishers and devs, so that they carve out a slice for us too…

#6 1 year ago
  7. CycloneFox

In terms of content, the shops, the character editor and costumes, the balancing, the optional fighting styles, the graphics (in proportion to the hardware of course), the Chronicles of the Sword mode and of course, my personal favourite, KOS-MOSs costume, Soul Calibur 3 was easily the best game in the whole series. I’ve played that one for a really long time and loved it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. fengato

Mechanically (from a hardcore perspective) Soul Calibur III is weak compared to the rich depths of SCII. I’m just hoping this new title brings back proper guard impact and some of the move sets from the older titles. If it’s really just F2P SCV, then count me out.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Gheritt White

Agree with everyone who said SC3 was the best in the series – wish it had come to Xbox and would happily pay for any HD version of it, including F2P.

As for SCV – I actually agree with Salarta on this, for once. The game just sucked. Last good SC was #4, IMHO.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Clupula

Personally, I think that free-to-play fighters aren’t necessarily a bad idea, if they’re done more like how Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate was than how Tekken Revolution was done, where you had limited playthroughs and it was VERY hard to unlock anything.

#10 1 year ago
  11. ambassador

I picked up Soul Calibur 2 blindly as last copy for super cheap, bc nobody wanted to buy it. I liked that game a lot and my friends did too, at parties.

With Calibur 3 later, the franchise quickly became my most favorite one.

I bought the PS3 system entirely for the SC and Dynasty Warriors series.

SC4 was a game i was prolly most hyped about ever, when i actually got it, i was kinda disappointed but began to like it more and more as i played it.

Picked up SC5 first day of release…i have to say that game is …bad at best, and not just compared to the other titles in the franchise.
    My three favorite styles were taken out entirely (seong mina, talim, rock)
    I mean the character creation is awesome and all, but once im done with my character i just keep trying the available styles to find something to my liking, without luck…and theres like nothing to do in it, except for multiplayer battles..which takes like 15-20 min waiting until you can find someone to play a match with, and then, that user just disconnects from the battle…

Tried the F2p fighters currently on PSN, tekken : revolution was shallow as hell and it forced uninteresting characters to play with, but the guys did good with DOA:U.
    Lost swords is a good idea for the franchise imo, especially bc its like the most underrated fighter game, but if it doesnt have the vanilla seong-mina style, im not interested in it.

#11 1 year ago