Valiant Hearts: The Great War is next game from Rayman Legends team, trailer inside

Tuesday, 10th September 2013 10:35 GMT By Dave Cook

Valiant Hearts: The Great War is the next title from Rayman Legends studio Ubisoft Montpelier. Check out the artful trailer here.

Ubisoft announced the game for a 2014 launch on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. It’s being developed in the UbiArt Framework engine and follows the intertwining stories of five individuals and their dog during World War I.

The game is inspired by letters from the war and exists as a hybrid of platforming and puzzle-solving, all set against a dark tone.

What do you make of the trailer above?

Via OXM.

1. Lv01

ubiart framework engine is impressing the hell outta me!
    with this and child of light… ubisoft is bringing some of the most exciting and beautiful gaming out there.
    very excited.

#1 1 year ago
  2. CyberMarco

It has dog A.I. instant buy! :P

#2 1 year ago
  3. VibraniumSpork

What a lovely trailer. This looks like a pretty moving, unique experience. Props to Ubisoft for bringing something a little different to the market!

It even looks like this could have a decent educational aspect, which is also something Ubi do well. Felt like I learned a fair bit about the Borgias et al in Assassin’s Creed when I wasn’t running and stabbing things.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Bomba Luigi

I… don’t know. I don’t see any Gameplay in the Trailer, and the “a hybrid of platforming and puzzle-solving” sounds just in Letters not so great in my Ears. Guess I have to see it before I can judge. The Gameplay, not the Graphics. Nice Graphics are not enough for me.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Clupula

EDIT: Oooops…

#5 1 year ago
  6. Bomba Luigi

@5: Okay, I watched it again… and what was now the Gameplay? I don’t wanna make fun of the Game or the Trailer anything like that, i just have no Idea which part of that was played by someone.

#6 1 year ago
  7. VibraniumSpork

@6 I think the guys charging on the battlefield was possibly gameplay…as for the rest, I agree, does kinda look like cut-scene stuff. Compelling cut-scene stuff though ;)

#7 1 year ago
  8. Blackened Halo

gameplay of this brilliant game is about puzzle solving and stealth …

#8 1 year ago
  9. dreamcastnews

No Wii U :/

#9 1 year ago
  10. Clupula

@6 – I apologise. I clicked the wrong link and thought this was the Child of LIght article, so I couldn’t understand why you were saying there was no gameplay. lol

My fault.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

@9 – I think you should get used to that. Hell, you probably should ALREADY BE used to it, by now.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DrDamn

Intriguing. Great trailer though obviously no gameplay in there. Certainly want to see more though. Ubisoft are on fire!

#12 1 year ago
  13. Pytox

wow can that dog clone himself?
    @2 lol i dont see fish ai yet though :p

#13 1 year ago
  14. absolutezero

I still can’t understand why people would want gameplay that would obviously be at a very early stage. This trailer has perfectly set the tone, the atmosphere and the set up the story.

Remember that lovely Bioshock Infinite gameplay walkthough that ended up being nothing like the actual game? uh huh.

#14 1 year ago
  15. TheWulf

It’s hard to believe that this is from the same house that churns out the artificial game pate that is Assassin’s Creed each year, isn’t it?

I genuinely respect what they’re trying to do with this and I do hope it works out for them. I don’t know if I’ll be able to complete this one when I get it as it sounds like it might just be too much for me, as some games which deal with the grittiness of war are. But I will try.

This is something that I can admire at least some part of Ubisoft for.

#15 1 year ago
  16. TheWulf

Indies have been doing that forever, now. Check out Gone Home and Shelter on the PC, they’re like nothing you’ve ever played before, and in the best possible way.

That’s why I’m still with the PC, I suppose. The indies survive, here, and whilst this might seem like something never done before, that’s not exactly true. Among the more mature elements of the PC indie scene, this sort of thing is becoming more and more popular. And I don’t mind that at all.

Moving, poignant, personal stories sometimes make for the best games.

#16 1 year ago