Deep Down: Ono stresses that it’s a PS4 exclusive

Tuesday, 10th September 2013 09:27 GMT By Dave Cook

Deep Down was shown off by Capcom at Sony’s press event in Japan yesterday, and last week Yoshinori Ono has confirmed that the title is exclusive to PS4.

We covered the game’s new details here, and it emerged that contrary to the title’s Medieval veneer, it is in fact set in 2094′s New York. The title also includes multiplayer for up to four people.

On September 6, Ono tweeted this:

We missed it at the time given how mad-fast Twitter is, but in case you had any queries about Deep Down’s platform exclusivity, there’s the answer in black and white.

That said, would you like it to come to Xbox One in due course?

Let us know below.

Via IGN.

1. DrDamn

Sounds like it’s a similar situation to Demon’s Souls. Development is being helped by SCEJ so I doubt this will ever come to X1. Sequels or spiritual successors a la Dark Souls yes, this no.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Mike W

So is this a straight multiplayer game or does it have a single player component?

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheBlackHole

@2 It’s online only, but the nature of that experience has not been defined, so could be a mix of story and MP… It’s a bit confusing to be honest.

It sounds like a mix between Dark Souls and Diablo, but multiplayer focused, and probably not as good as either of those games.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

I actually liked what I saw.

the only problem that this game can not come to the West (although we saw it at PS4 reveal)

#4 1 year ago
  5. TheBlackHole

“the only problem that this game can not come to the West”

Eh? Since when?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Mike W

I think there was something on twitter that Ono stated that they have no plans at the moment to bring it to the West, unless there’s a demand for it.

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheBlackHole

Like Demon Souls, then.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Mike W

Yea pretty much

#8 1 year ago
  9. wildBoar

So is this a new thing we’re going to be shouting at each other in the fanboy wars or have people finally grown up on this site?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Fethennour

It is fair, according to me. Capcom will release an exclusive for each of the next-gen machines. Xbox One has Dead Rising 3, PlayStation 4 has Deep Down.
    Even if I’m a Playstation-only gamer, I think this would have been a good thing to see Deep Down get a Xbox One release because it’s a new IP, while Dead Rising 3 is “just” a sequel.
    But, as I said, the situation is fair just the way it is, now.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

I have a hard time believing there are no plans for a Western release for a game that, up until yesterday, was only being shown at Western conferences.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Clupula

@10 – Your logic makes no sense. How is it better for a new ip to be multiplat than a multiplat franchise’s sequel to suddenly become exclusive?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Fethennour

It makes no sense to you. You don’t see things as I see them, fine. ;)

#13 1 year ago
  14. Clupula

@13 – Seems dumb to me. And I was asking so I could try to understand your thought process.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Fethennour

Okay, it is dumb, I am dumb, you win.

#15 1 year ago
  16. DrDamn

I would guess something along the lines of wanting a title you like the look of to have as big a chance of a sequel as possible. So releasing on both platforms potentially gives it a wider audience and higher sales – thus increasing the chances of a sequel/future support. For DR3 it’s already established, has a sequel under it’s belt already, it’s more of a known quantity support wise.

#16 1 year ago
  17. FuntimeBen

Well for all of us PS4 users, finally we can feel a little better about not getting Titanfall. :/

Personally I wish all launch games came to all consoles… ah well.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Clupula

@17 – This is a completely different genre than Titanfall. I would imagine if you cared about that, you’d want some sort of FPS instead of this.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Clupula

@16 – See, to me, it makes more sense to make a new ip exclusive to a particular system, so that it becomes something associated with that given brand.

However, Dead Rising was a multiplatform franchise. Both 2 and Off the Record came to both PS3 and 360, while the original came to 360 and Wii. It doesn’t make sense for the sequel to no longer be multiplatform. I would have preferred to see an exclusive new ip for PS4 and an exclusive new ip for XB1.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Keivz

@15 – Nice! Shuttin’ it down!

#20 1 year ago