PS4 vs Xbox One clash good for the industry, Microsoft feeling good about it, says Mehdi

Monday, 9th September 2013 11:28 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft corporate vice-president Yusuf Mehdi has explained why the close proximity between both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 launch is good for the industry, and why the company is feeling good about business within that area.

Addressing investors at the Citi Global Technology conference, Mehdi said, “First, I do think it’s an incredible time for gamers. One of the things that has never happened is we go head-to-head with a competitor on a console launch.”I think that’s going to bring a lot of energy to the overall gaming market and a lot of focus and attention, and I think that’s going to further grow the market. So I think in general it’s a good time to be a gamer. We feel good about our business within that.

“Competitively speaking, so far, I feel like we have a much better… more complete value prop. We do things that aren’t found on other platforms with the Kinect, a huge piece of differentiation. As I said before, the fact that we do entertainment and gaming.

“And then even if you just take gamers, hardcore gamers, gamers buy for the game. They don’t buy for stats on a spec sheet. And if you look at the games we have, according to most industry experts now, a better lineup of games.”

Mehdi’s comments about spec parity echo those made by Microsoft’s Albert Penello last week in which he said between Forza 5, Ryse: Son of Rome and their competitors on rival formats, he sees little difference from a spec standpoint.

What do you think?

Via onlysublime2, DualShockers, OXM.

1. _LarZen_

“What do you think?”

I think it’s going to be a great. Nothing is better when two big companies tries everything they can to get our attention. This means they do not have the time to lean back and relax.

But work hard on services and games for the systems, and that is a win win for us consumers.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Erthazus

“a better lineup of games.”

Oh really.

R E A L L Y ?

#2 12 months ago
  3. Tech-N9ne

Spot on.

What do you want them to say? We have the second best line up of games? Anyways I do agree with him.

#3 12 months ago
  4. taternuggets

@2 Yes. Absolutely.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Hcw87

PS4 has Killzone, Knack and Driveclub as first party games, MS has Ryse, Forza, Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon, LocoCycle, Dead Rising 3.

So yes, a better lineup.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Joe Anderson

@5 So all the day one digital titles that are first on PS4 don’t count then? Also it’s a marathon not a sprint.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

@5 That’s entirely a matter of opinion. The only game I have even the remotest bit of interest in on the Xbox One is Project Spark.

Also, first party titles aren’t the only thing that matter, and they haven’t even a long time. Half those games aren’t even first party titles anyway. They’re third party exclusives. Boring ones at that.

#7 12 months ago
  8. loci

I think even the most loyal of Xbox loyalists are starting to feel embarrassed by Microsoft’s PR.

#8 12 months ago
  9. AngryConsumer

xbox one have not a chance, the ps4 will clean the table when it arrive. microsoft have become a joke with its drm crap and all their 180 turns.

#9 12 months ago
  10. loop

Firstly, magic does not beat math. PS4 is 50% more powerful (and cheaper). Deal with it.

Secondly, best launch titles is a matter of opinion.

Thirdly, nobody buys a console purely for launch titles.

#10 12 months ago
  11. fearmonkey

As far as Xbox exclusives go, if I was getting an Xbox I would be getting Ryse, but none of the others really interest me. I am not a Forza fan (great series just not a sim racer guy), not a Dead rising fan, and the others are meh.

On the PS4, I like Killzone and Knack, Driveclub might be more my kind of racer but thus far the videos haven’t really impressed me. Ps4 wins but not by much for me personally. If Titanfall and project spark were available Day 1, I would have had to give it to MS.

Third party has the best titles this time around, Watch Dogs, Batlefield 4….

#11 12 months ago
  12. II-WAR-STEINER-II

#9

Yo Baby yo Baby yo…

But it’s true btw the PR of MS is one big crap and they are LIAR, listen for example to Penello lol he wants told us X1 has the same power like PS4 hehe lol

For the truth read this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671869

So what is wrong with MS i hate LIAR!!

#12 12 months ago
  13. salarta

Microsoft is only saying competition is good because admitting the truth would make them look like tools.

They don’t want competition. They want to dominate the console arena. Doing so allows them to increase the price and decrease quality, maximizing profits, and it allows them to get away with nefarious schemes like the DRM they would have implemented if Sony hadn’t been there to basically force Microsoft to actually give consumers what they want.

Not that Sony can’t fall into the same attitude, but Microsoft has proven how they approach business already.

Also, regarding games, the only one Microsoft has that seems worth anything thus far is Killer Instinct. And I only say that because I never played Killer Instinct but realize people consider it to be a great game, therefore it logically follows that it’s a meaningful game for Microsoft to have. Everything else, nope. Last I checked, Dead Rising 3 loses all the charm that Dead Rising 2 had as well.

Sony’s lineup seems about the same, though. The inFAMOUS game seems okay, having played the first game, but other than that, nah.

#13 12 months ago
  14. Doppleganger

LOL I love how theres so many Sony fan boys that try to bash XboxOne but there arguments are pointless or they just horrible misinformed.

I actually cant stand Sony as they are the Pepsi of the Coca Cola war as they know they undersell so they bash the competitors in ads and commercials. They act just like the kids that come on these forums and bark away behind a screen. Also their commercials NEVER show actual content, they always show only CGI and or videos and that is so embarrassing and false information about their content.

#14 12 months ago
  15. II-WAR-STEINER-II

#15

Math is a simple thing you know? It’s 1 + 1= 2 not 1 + 1= 4 that is exactly what MS tried…

#15 12 months ago
  16. bradk825

Who has the best line-up I think comes down top preferences. If you don’t like racing sims, one of the best games of both launch line-ups is off your radar altogether, despite being one of the most truly next-gen titles coming out.

I think for most people it will come down to preferences like that. For many it will also come down to price, that’s understandable. There are always a significant number of people who buy according to price.

Personally, Ryse and Forza are pre-ordered for me, and the next on my list is Watch Dogs. The opinion on who has the better line-up, for most people, comes down to preferences.

#16 12 months ago
  17. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Killzone Shadow Fall looks fkn outstanding!

Look at Resogun

So it’s easy to make the right choise i don’t need a “how to” lol

#17 12 months ago
  18. bradk825

@15, I think you’re not really talking about Sony VS MS, but DICE vs Infinity Ward, lol.

I am a MS player, but common, Sony does not undersell. I was put off by their marketing strategy too, especially post-E3, but it’s not because they undersell. They sell just fine.

#18 12 months ago
  19. Maguire82

What’s all this talk about kill zone in here? Compared to battlefield and COD this game is ok at best. Microsoft have the superior game line up in my opinion. The ps4 looks to be relying on indie games wile the Xbox one seems to have put up a really good AAA line up and and there’s titanfall fall in the pipe line. Its going to be tight in my opinion.

#19 12 months ago
  20. II-WAR-STEINER-II

Huh did you see KZ4? Did you play KZ2/3 no? So don’t talk about KZ… Look at COD same engine since COD 2 or BF the whole community wants a new Bad Company cuz BF is going to be COD. KZ is unique, now it goes OPEN WORLD HELLOHOOO?

A FPS goes OPEN WORLD…. KZ is the best shooter on a console, this game is 100% balanced with no laggs in the MP, the Maps are big and beautiful, weapons and classes are great. There is 1 shooter who can beat KZ, its Gears of War but that is 3rd-person.

Really there isnt a point to hate KZ…. Look at Famitsu they tested Killzone: Mercenary and what’s the end of the story? Killzone: Mercenary gets overall score of 34/40…. For a FPS?

At least read this

I tell you the MP is one of the best it is so intense and dynamic to playing Warzone you cant find this in COD or BF so what are you talking about?

#20 12 months ago
  21. Hcw87

Killzone 1, 2 and 3 were generic shooters. The only thing those games had going for them was graphics. Multiplayer on KZ3 was OK at best.

The same thing can be said about KZ4 before we’re actually playing it. It may look nice, but we may end up with a 4 hour campaign and an OK at best multiplayer. Pretty much like Crysis.

BF4 on the other hand allready has a great reputation when it comes to multiplayer.

#21 12 months ago
  22. Joe Musashi

Sorry to inform you, HCW87, but opinions on things you’ve no first-hand experience in mean your opinion doesn’t count. And that goes double if your opinion of the thing you haven’t experienced first-hand is a negative one.

Didn’t you get the memo?

JM

#22 12 months ago
  23. Hcw87

Not sure if sarcastic.

If not.. What?

#23 12 months ago
  24. nollie4545

Resogun looks pretty wank from what I can see.

If anything MS will win their console war purely because of the amount of money they can throw at it not because of technical finesse or suchlike.

#24 12 months ago
  25. II-WAR-STEINER-II

pretty wank? Did you read this?

“Resogun’s aesthetic is almost entirely defined by its remarkable physics, and it’s a match made in heaven with the compute-heavy skew of the PlayStation 4 hardware. Harry Kruger reels off a list of the various non-render based effects that utilise the PS4 graphics hardware.”

“The entire environment – everything – is built up from these voxels,” explains Kruger. “All of the cubes that you see flying around – there’s no gimmick, no point sprites, it’s not a particle effect, they’re actual physical cubes. In gameplay, dynamic cubes with collisions, floating around, you can get up to 200,000. Our engine supports up to 500,000 but in actual gameplay scenarios, it rarely goes over 200K.”

That’s awesome…

But i guess you don’t understand … nothing…

#25 12 months ago