Playstation 4 to launch in Japan on February 22nd 2014: games, details here

Monday, 9th September 2013 07:58 GMT By Ewan Miller

The Playstation 4 is set to launch next year in Japan, signalling a shift in Sony’s regional priorities. Sony announced that the delay compared to the western release was to ensure that western titles were all localised prior to the console’s release.

At launch the console will cost 39,980 ($390) yen without a PS Eye camera or 43,980 ($440) with it. These prices don’t include Japan’s 5% consumption tax. Pre-orders begin October 5.

The first batch of Playstation 4s in Japan will be the “Limited Pack” which includes a download code for Knack and a year’s extended warranty for the Playstation. The Limited Pack is available for both the with and without camera bundles. Western Playstation 4′s will not include a copy of Knack.

1. monkeygourmet

Ouch!

Japan won’t be eating its Christmas KFC and playing PS4 this year!

#1 11 months ago
  2. Erthazus

In other words: We have no software for Japanese audience and we are afraid of MS at Europe and US so FUCK YOU!

#2 11 months ago
  3. Telepathic.Geometry

Oops, I posted my reaction in the wrong thread. This is an absolute betrayal, and obviously in a bid to build up stock. I was sure they’d try and squeeze it in before New Year’s but, there ya go.

It’s a good thing for me, as I won’t be tempted, but still, I kinda wanted to get my hands on one in a shop… :-(

#3 11 months ago
  4. Telepathic.Geometry

@2: Yeah, a little bit. Minus the insanity and hyperbole anyway. :-)

#4 11 months ago
  5. monkeygourmet

Also, seeing as Xbone won’t sell in Japan , that leaves the holidays free for Wii U, 3DS (Monster Hunter, Pokemon & Zelda)…

Nintendo should be able to shift some units then.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Erthazus

It won’t. WiiU is struggling even in Japan. Sony has nothing to worry about. In other words, Sony has no competition.

#6 11 months ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Im not saying Sony are worrying, but having zero competition is better than facing 2 new consoles at release.

Thats simple logic.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Francis O

@6 Wii U is struggling because of a lack of software.

But by Christmas time there will be plenty of good games on the system that Japanese gamers like: Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda The wind Waker HD, Wii Fit U, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Wii Party U, Sonic Lost World….

Sony not launching this year in Japan is great for Nintendo. Especially with the software they have coming out.

But this also proves that Japan is not a major priority for Sony.

#8 11 months ago
  9. monkeygourmet

Also,

This is now a Nintendo thread. (joke)

#9 11 months ago
  10. Telepathic.Geometry

Wii U will do better over Christmas for sure, but I guess the reasoning is that it’s not like people who buy a Wii U for Christmas are then going to forsake buying a PS4. So, no xbone and no Wii U competition to worry about = focus on the west where the war has yet to be won, and then come back in February with a solid slate and annihilate the competition.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Dragon246

Oi Francis. Why did you run away yesterday?
    I am looking forward to an over-exaggerated response.

@10,
    Now now, what is better? Anything will be better than 6k :D
    Its dead if it cant even push 6k unit per week during christmas.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Erthazus

Sony246 came to defend Playstation. Run everyone.
    the biggest fanboy on the site.

He is looking at the PS sales every week and can’t live without them. LOL

#12 11 months ago
  13. Cort

Why would Sony be running scared of MS in Europe and the US? Have you seen various retailers’ preorder charts on both sides of the Atlantic? Every one has PS4 ahead, and the PS4 version of almost every multi-platform game ahead – some by a very significant margin. This is more likely so it can cope with DEMAND in the EU and the US, sacrificing a region in which MS is barely a player in this sector.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Joe Musashi

I wonder if this is as much as statement with regards to consumers’ appetite for consoles versus handhelds. When Sony released the Vita in Japan was it 3-months behind other regions also?

JM

#14 11 months ago
  15. MFBB

I guess they can do this because they got Japan in the pocket anyway.

With the WiiU selling so bad and Xbox not selling at all, Xbone not avaibable….

I think Microsoft and Sony are both doing the right thing.

Splitting the launch up to focus on the way more important western market.

Thats where all the money is, thats what both companies prioritise.

Only bad thing is that Microsoft cant even deliver in all of the western countries and has to delay many of them till 2014 aswell.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Telepathic.Geometry

Please let’s not turn this into a Ninty bashing thread. If you think they’re a fucked company, that’s cool, but can you not be satisfied with that knowledge and keep this thread on topic?

I think that even if Ninty were doing really well, it still wouldn’t have very much impact on Sony’s PS4 business. Those are completely separate entities. I would say that the games on both systems are pretty much mutually exclusive, and Sony really doesn’t have to worry about MS in Japan so, this move makes sense.

But again, please don’t make this thread about Ninty and rile up the sensitive types. I appeal to your sense of maturity…

#16 11 months ago
  17. Telepathic.Geometry

@13: I wouldn’t say that they are running scared, but when you go up against a company of that scale, you can’t take them lightly. With their deep pockets and advertising push, and their inevitable strength in the US particularly…

#17 11 months ago
  18. monkeygourmet

Nintendo are having tough times with the Wii U, this has the potential to give them a boost.

Price cut, Zelda pack in, New Mario, No competition.

That was all I was getting at. I think your right btw, even if people buy a Wii U, they will still pick up a PS4, the Wii U is a nice second console.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Dragon246

@13,
    That is what it is. However, you are wasting your words on him.

#19 11 months ago
  20. polygem

You just cant stop it can you dragon. Trust me. If people run away from you it is not because of your dominating and unbeatable arguments.

#20 11 months ago
  21. Erthazus

@13, Show me preorder charts. So far PS4 has 1 million preorders worldwide. That’s not a lot.

@Dragon, So much fanboyism. Do something that will help humanity and stop jerking off to PS4.

#21 11 months ago
  22. Dragon246

Oh German guy-

This is why no one except ninty fans take you seriously :D

Continue on without me, along with Mr. Erthazus. Bye.

#22 11 months ago
  23. Telepathic.Geometry

@monkey: Yeah man, I can see myself getting a Wii U and a PS4 and I can see myself getting a Wii U and an xbone, but I couldn’t imagine myself ever getting a PS4 and an xbone…

And ultimately, I am quite sure that i will get a Wii U and a PS4. It would require a pretty remarkable turn of events to change that.

Ultimately, I am as happy as Dragon about Ninty’s ill fortunes, but for different reasons. As a consumer I don’t give a fuck if they’re a happy smiley company with lots of money or not, but I DO want them hungry and desperate to please me the consumer. So the Ninty we have now is better for me.

#23 11 months ago
  24. Telepathic.Geometry

@poly: Jesus man, you should know better. Just ignore him.
    It says a lot about the personality of a person who likes to upset people.
    Not good things. he’s probably insecure in the real world.

Please please please just ignore the trolls…

#24 11 months ago
  25. Dragon246

“Actually, I want them in quite a bit more financial trouble than they are right now to be honest. They still aren’t humble enough for my liking. I want them to NEED me, and then when they stop trying to shaft me up the arse with their money grubbing, I will love them again with all my heart.”
    Weird. Unlike you, I am not happy about Ninty situation, and neither sad. Just neutral. I like numbers about big companies.

Also, u mad?

#25 11 months ago
  26. Telepathic.Geometry

I just read on EG that because of the wait there’ll be a free (digital?) copy of Knack and an extended one year warranty thrown in. Well, that’s me fucked so, I have to pick one up now…

#26 11 months ago
  27. Dragon246

Good deal for Japan it seems.

#27 11 months ago
  28. polygem

thank you for linking that article on a daily basis dragon.

this way i don´t have to constantly repeat it myself.

that being said, i will follow TG´s advice now.

#28 11 months ago
  29. TheBlackHole

“Sony announced that the delay compared to the western release was to ensure that western titles were all localised prior to the console’s release”

That is a terrible excuse. Game translation does not take three months.

#29 11 months ago
  30. DrDamn

Translation is the useful excuse these days it seems :)

I think it’s fairly clear Sony need to launch in the US and EU with as many units as possible, Japan can wait. I can see it was a difficult decision for them being a Japanese company, but it was the right one financially.

#30 11 months ago
  31. Dragon246

@30,
    Agreed. They just prioritized west over japan, and rightly so based on sales.
    However, the deal is pretty good too, PS4 extended warranty + Knack. I would have probably waited for 3 months to get those items. :D

#31 11 months ago
  32. TheBlackHole

I agree completely, I’m just disappointed it’s yet another company spouting a ‘line’ in the assumption that everyone who reads it is an idiot.

The one thing I do like about MS is, however bad their PR can be, they tend to be more up front than Sony.

#32 11 months ago
  33. OmegaSlayer

Sooooooo rate…

#33 11 months ago
  34. AngryConsumer

so japan will have to wait a couple of months, i am sure they are okay with it. after all we have seen all the upcoming new and awesome titles coming for the ps3, so it is not a problem. sony is doing the right thing and focus on the western market and squeezing out microsoft. i see this as a good tactic, the less there is of this xbone the better it is.

#34 11 months ago
  35. DrDamn

So the delay in Euro markets for the X1 for translation is more up front but here there is a different agenda? The delay in the X1 other regions was this same as this, focusing the stock you have where you think you’ll need it.

#35 11 months ago
  36. hitnrun

WOW. I could see a week or two as part of a timing/marketing thing (Christmas being a minor holiday in Japan as opposed to the shopping focus of the year in the West). Or even 4 weeks as part of a major shift in priorities.

But 3 months? Geez. I mean, there’s prioritizing and then there’s prioritizing. Especially when you consider that Japan is the home territory whose unhealthy loyalty allowed Sony to save face in the latest console war.

Even as someone who doesn’t even like most of Japan’s output anymore, and who has residual jealousy from my youth at all the NES and SNES games that came out much later in the US or not at all, I actually feel for them on this.

#36 11 months ago
  37. Lengendaryboss

Oh i missed another party and @Francis is there saying once again when Game A.B.C.D.E etc etc Wii U will be fine. Your like a broken record repeating yourself over and over again.

#37 11 months ago
  38. Lengendaryboss

Wait to be fair its a unique broken record which removes games which didn’t work out.

#38 11 months ago
  39. Telepathic.Geometry

By the way, I think that those prices might be wrong. The price quoted is 39,990 yen, and including 5% consumption tax it ends up closer to 42,000 yen I think…

At any rate, can ye check that 38,990 price? I think it’s shy a thousand yen.

#39 11 months ago
  40. Ewan Miller

Yeah these were the pre-tax prices that they displayed on the stream yesterday, was in such a rush I forgot to mention that.

I’ll update the story!

#40 11 months ago
  41. Telepathic.Geometry

Cheers Ewan. Also, I think the pre-tax price was wrong too. The Japanese site I checked said 39,990, not 38,990. I’ll check it again now though just in case. I’m at work so I sometimes don’t check these things properly…

Anyway, cheers for responding.

#41 11 months ago
  42. Telepathic.Geometry

Checked, it’s 39,980 pre-tax.

#42 11 months ago