Ex-Relic, Bioware, Riot & Volition devs form Hinterland Studio, debut title The Long Dark coming to Kickstarter

Monday, 9th September 2013 16:11 GMT By Dave Cook

The Long Dark is the first title from Hinterland Studio, a new developer formed by ex-Relic Entertainment, BioWare, Riot Games and Volition Inc members. It’s an episodic, open world survival game coming to PC, Mac, and Linux.

The project is coming to Kickstarter on September 16, and it’s a first-person sandbox survival experience set in a North America after a disaster has destroyed the nation’s technology infrastructure. You can get an overview on what the game’s about over at Hinterland’s page.

Hinterland’s first episode casts players as bush pilot William Mackenzie who finds himself stranded in the Northern wilderness along with other survivors. As players roam the new frontier, they’ll have to gather resources and knowledge to survive, while overcoming some difficult moral choices that will impact the fate of the game world at large.

Heading up Hinterland Studio is creative director Raphael van Lierop, who has 13 years industry experience across such projects as Far Cry 3, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War and Company of Heroes.

The Lost Dark will also span other media, but details are thin at the moment.

In a statement, van Lierop said of the project, “We want to be part of the incredible crowdfunding revolution, and create a direct relationship with our players. This new model allows us directly engage our community, to expand on our existing resources to help achieve our ultimate vision for the game. Through this additional support, we can add richness to the experience in line with our backer’s expectations, while also maintaining the creative independence that is core to our identity.”

We’ve got concept art below. What do you think?

1. TheBlackHole

A link to the Kickstarter page?

#1 1 year ago
  2. absolutezero

Its not live yet.

September 16th.

#2 1 year ago
  3. papizdano

i wonder if its gonna have the walking dead graphics… would be interesting

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@1 see @2

#4 1 year ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

http://hinterlandgames.com/projects < A little introduction to The Long Dark. I really like the looks of this game!

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dave Cook

@5 thanks chief.

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheWulf

So it’s basically just The Walking Dead (right down to an almost identical art style) without zombies? Hm. This sounds a bit like a cash-in. I’ll wait and see, I guess.

Though just how much they’ve copied TWD’s aesthetics makes me suspicious.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dave Cook

@7 I think we have to wait to see some gameplay before jumping to conclusions. I see what you mean about the art though yeah.

#8 1 year ago
  9. DSB

I really like the sound of this. I have a thing for winter settings. Maybe it’s because we’ve been fed so many deserts and cities and jungles over the years. I’m down with some snow.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TheBlackHole

Thanks @2 :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. absolutezero

Its looks alot more The Secret World to me and all the better for it.

I can’t see The Walking Dead in any of it. I just hope to God its not Cel Shaded out the ass. Allard art just has a really specific look to it and this is just concept art?

#11 1 year ago
  12. Froseidon

@7 – That art style is completely different… This is a more artistic style, The Walking Dead was cel-shaded. Also, ’tis only concept art.

#12 1 year ago
  13. deathm00n

I say the more survival games we have the better. Maybe this is the one with Open World gameplay, real survival (physiological needs) and good gameplay.

#13 1 year ago
  14. SplatteredHouse

@8 It reminded me immediately (the art in the screens) of some of the art from the comic book Revival, from Image.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Old MacDonald

7: Huh?

It’s a first person, open world survival game with moral choices and a strong story focus. How on earth does that even remotely sound like The Walking Dead?

#15 1 year ago
  16. Phoenixblight

He likes to talk out of his ass all the time.

Clearly the images are concept art unless they are going with Dragon’s Lair First Person view. Ugh that would be horrible. I just don’t see that happening. The concept of the game is pretty interesting and I would like it just need to see some gameplay.

#16 1 year ago