The Elder Scrolls Online – Sony helped facilitate console release

Saturday, 7th September 2013 16:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Elder Scrolls Online was going to be a PC-only title until Bethesda was approached by Sony’s VP of publisher and developer relations, Adam Boyes, according to a Game Informer interview.

Boyes said Sony offered to “build a plan” that could bring the MMO to consoles after meetings with Bethesda on the matter.

“That game was never planned to come to consoles,” said Boyes. “They’re like, ‘We’re not planning it,’ and I’m like, ‘Well, what if we built a plan that we could do that?’”

The MMO is now heading to not only PlayStation 4, but Xbox One as well thanks to this discussion, and Boyes said he is pleased to have helped make it happen.

“Knowing that a game’s coming to console that was never going to come to console, that’s the kind of stuff that is, hugely awesome,” he said.

The Elder Scrolls Online is slated for a Mac, PC, PS4 and Xbox One release in 2014.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. Lengendaryboss

@Steph
    I’m not sure if its just me but the news on the home page isn’t in order.

Just thought you need to know.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Legion

Sony also created the internet and solved world hunger. (wait… what do you mean world hunger isn’t solved yet?)

#2 12 months ago
  3. TheWulf

Sony’s spreading around a lot of money at the moment. And that–coupled with the financial burden of the launch of the PS4–seems to be hurting them.

There was already a good round of lay-offs at Sony, and it hit SOE pretty bad. Hm.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Not sure what you mean?

#4 12 months ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

Uh never mind it was just a problem on my end.

Its just me then!

#5 12 months ago
  6. zinc

Good guy Sony bringing an MMO to consoles & not demanding exclusivity.

#6 12 months ago
  7. TrickyAudio

Great interview. Loving Sony’s new approach these days, will pay dividends for them.

#7 12 months ago
  8. bradk825

If it were me, as soon as I learned I had helped start the trend of bringing subscription-based games to console, I’d engage PR to start covering up my involvement. But that’s just me.

#8 12 months ago