The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC to release on Steam, PSN

Friday, 6th September 2013 16:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

XSEED has announced it will publish The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter digitally on Steam and the PlayStation Store. The firm has also announced the First Chapter will also be released on PC.

The firm has partnered with Carpe Fulgur to bring the title digitally to PC and PSP system, including compatibility with the PlayStation Vita in 2014.

The first chapter, previously released for PSP system as The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, will also be released for PC this winter, which marks the debut of the English version on PC, as well as the first release of the English version anywhere. The two chapters will release as two separate, back-to-back installments.

“We are pleased to finally give the fans what they have been requesting so fervently for over two years,” said Ken Berry, EVP of XSEED Games. “There’s been a constant demand ever since we released the original The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, and we are extremely grateful for our partnership with the passionate localizers at Carpe Fulgur to finally make it a reality.”

“This is something we’ve had an interest in doing since practically the formation of the company,” added Andrew Dice, project director for Carpe Fulgur. “If you talk about or work with ‘PC gaming from Japan’, as we do, you can’t really ignore Falcom’s huge presence over the past three decades. Trails in the Sky is particularly special, and I’d wanted to work on it ever since the day we started business. I’m thrilled that we will finally be able to bring the game to English-speaking audiences, in partnership with XSEED.”

Developed by Nihon Falcom, the multi-part story told in The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is a new stand-alone entry in the series.

A teaser trailer is posted below.

Thanks, AGB.

1. 2-D

Yes, yes, yes! Steam needs more JRPGs and Japanese games in general. Final Fantasy VII on Steam showed that there’s a demand for these games.

I’ve heard many great things about these games but I don’t have a PSP so this news is GRRRRRRREAT!

#1 11 months ago
  2. TheWulf

I concur, #1.

Also, it feels strange seeing so many Japanese games heading to the PC of late. It’s like they’ve actually recognised the wisdom I’ve always had — they’ll find more fans of their wares, here. It’s probably worth the extra money to port considering how many old game fans have a PC.

Why is that the case? Emulation. There are games you can’t play on modern consoles, and worse (for Japan), the modern console audience is very Westernised. A big, Western triple-A game is always going to be the focus of console consumers. Not that that’s a bad thing, as there are some of those I like (Saints Row IV and the LEGO games, for example).

The interest in Asian games has shifted to the PC though lately mostly because the PC audience seems more open to that. I think in part it’s due to emulators keeping old games (of every kind) alive. Thus, the indie scene blossomed by embracing the ways of retro gaming, and popularity is still gained from that. There’s a reason why Megabyte Punch has only been released on the PC thus far, after all.

I’d love to see Megabyte Punch released on the consoles, sure, but I’m not sure they’d appreciate or even want it. Even the Playstation tends to have bigger budget indies, and smaller titles have languished and perished in their shadow. So I’m just not sure it would sell.

This also explains the goals for the recent Mighty no. 9, if you think about it. That it’s coming out for PC/Linux/Mac first, then consoles later. This gives me pause to wonder — due to the shift to PCs over here, and the popularity of emulators, is a similar sort of shift beginning to happen in Japan? If so, that could get very interesting. We could see more and more exports heading to Western PCs.

And I do miss Japanese games. And yes, I do plan on buying this one the moment it’s released.

Edit: Ooooh they’re getting Carpe Fulgur to localise it too! This is good news. Very much so! Carpe Fulgur’s translations have been nothing short of brilliant. Forgot to comment on that.

#2 11 months ago
  3. fihar

I wonder whether they will be able to localize the entire Kiseki/Trails series.
    Carpe Fulgur is a great company and Recettear’s localization was pretty good but it’d be hard to keep up with Nihon Falcom who seems to be able to churn out one Trails game after another.

Here’s hoping they could manage somehow.

#3 11 months ago
  4. CycloneFox

yaaaaay! *_*
    i knew it. greaT News. i will buy it instantly for my vita.

#4 11 months ago
  5. NinjaHart

Just love how much of gameplay they showed off in this video. :D
    Love the JRPG genre, so I’m going to pick this one up. :)

#5 11 months ago