Diablo 3 PC won’t get offline play, Blizzard wants players to feel part of the online community

Friday, 6th September 2013 11:08 GMT By Dave Cook

Diablo 3 developer Blizzard has shed new light on why the PC build won’t receive offline play – as seen in the console version –

Speaking with Eurogamer, game director Joshua Mosqueira said of the matter, “Something Kevin [Martens, lead content designer] says all the time is: Diablo plays best when you’re playing with other people. Because not a lot of people connect their consoles to the internet, that’s where the whole idea of having to get four people on the same couch playing together [comes in]. That’s how we get that social aspect.

“But on PC, we really want players to feel they’re part of the bigger Blizzard and Diablo community. It’s a choice of platform and opportunity for our players to benefit from. There’s a more secure item trading environment, but also a more social environment. We have a lot of plans to make online matter. For us it’s about that connected experience.”

Martens himself added that Diablo 3 was engineered as, “a co-op game from day one”, and continued, “We didn’t add co-op in. It’s not a value added feature. It is the ideal. It’s not something we want to force upon people, but the idea it’s always available – the whole drop-in, drop-out thing – has been of value since the very beginning of the project. We tried to make the game with that in mind.

“As we add new things, as we look to the future, we’re still trying to enrich that. We still are doing a lot to make online matter. Improved matchmaking, new social systems and extra rewards for playing together.”

Would you prefer an offline option for Diablo 3 on PC? Let us know what you think below.

Via PCGamesN.

1. Hcw87

Console version>PC version. Known fact that noone can really dispute.

Here’s hoping consoles will also get the expansion/pre-expansion patch.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lord Gremlin

@1 That’s no surprise to anyone. Later versions always better provided hardware can support it. and in case of Diablo 3 it can.

The important thing is not that console version is obviously better. It’s Diablo 3 itself being not very good.

#2 1 year ago
  3. CyberMarco

I’ll probably be buying the PS4 version down the line. Let’s hope it’ll be a “complete edition” or something.

I find it more comfortable to use a controller than m/k for this type of games, same as torchlight.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Llewelyn_MT

We want our players to have better experience therefore we are forcing them to do things they don’t want to do.

Because f*** logic, that’s why.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Llewelyn_MT

P.S. If you want a co-op action RPG get Torchlight 2. It supports 6 players in drop-in drop-out co-op on LAN or over the Internet, with an offline option.

#5 1 year ago
  6. ududy

I wonder if those guys still have any ability to know PR bullshit from the truth, or if they are so mired in the company’s agenda to realize the difference. Giving people options is great, saying you forced something on them for their own good is lame spin.

#6 1 year ago
  7. MFBB

I was disappointed with Diablo 3.

After playing though it once, lost all interest.

Whole Act 4 was horrible, story complete crap, fail at item hunting/crafting/drops etc.

I am hoping the new expansion and the 2 expansion change the game a lot.

Diablo 2 also changed through the AddOn + patches, but well it was good from the beginning anyway :)

#7 1 year ago
  8. silkvg247

Well, that “you will do what WE want” attitude just solidifies the fact that I won’t be buying the expansion or anything in the diablo franchise anytime soon.

I’m very sorry “Kevin” but my greatest diablo experiences were from diablo 1, solo, with the lights out, crapping myself when 30 skeletons and certain death are headed my way.

Most multiplayer experiences just downright suck in *any* game these days primarily because of the nobheads behind the controls. But I guess I’m not allowed my own opinion! I MUST PLAY AND ENJOY MULTIPLAYER. GAMING MUST BE SOCIAL. I AM NOT ALLOWED ENJOYABLE SOLO EXPERIENCES. Or ya know, I could always just not buy your game, imbecile.

#8 1 year ago
  9. povu

That’s great Bliz, but I’m just going over here and be part of the Torchlight 2 community instead.

#9 1 year ago
  10. GrimRita

I dont really see this as an issue. However, the issues only arise when people have to move (in real life) and wait for their broadband to be connected. So having an offline mode really is useful.

#10 1 year ago
  11. sh4dow

@8:

Wow. A positive comment about Diablo 1!
    Usually people always compare anything to Diablo 2, acting as if the first one didn’t exist or was utter crap.

But I wonder… did you buy Diablo 3? Because I bet that a lot of people who saw the direction it was going in ended up buying it anyway.
    Just like many don’t really seem to care any more what Microsoft tried to do with Xbox One.
    And how else can one explain the Resident Evil 6 sales figures?
    People are such pushovers… (YOU of course may not be… I don’t know. Hence “I wonder”)

#11 1 year ago
  12. Arcnail

This stance would be fine.. if the online tools for D3 were any good. Chat channels with 5 people in them, can’t browse player created games.. nobody trades anymore cause of the crap AH..

Make it like D2 at the least..

#12 1 year ago
  13. OlderGamer

I don’t know if anyone cares, or would agree with me. But I own the XB360 version and the PC version. The console version is fantastic. Great controls. Offline or Online. No AH. Decent graphics. Scalable difficulty. Toss in Party Chat. The game is a lot of fun to play. I just need more time to spend on it.

On a console it feels to me like a mash up Gauntlet and Champions of Norath.

#13 1 year ago
  14. noamlol2

do what i do
    if a company ever cross me once, i NEVER buy their games
    not for consoles not for nothing

shitty games from a shitty company

#14 1 year ago
  15. turel72

You people do understand that Blizzard isn’t forcing you to play online with people, you can easily block that part out of the game entirely if you wanted….

#15 1 year ago
  16. TheWulf

Well, that’s a BS excuse to justify DRM! I’ve been enjoying the Torchlight II community since day one. They’re lovely people. I even asked and got a mod made for me at one point. It was only a simple UI mod, but still, I appreciated it. I didn’t need constant online DRM for that.

Torchlight II has mods and no DRM, and thus, for me, it’s easy to see which is the superior game. If you haven’t seen how Torchlight II is still growing then I invite you to look at its Steam Workshop page. It’s amazing. Diablo III on the other hand continues to stagnate due to a lack of quality in its community and no mods to lengthen the life of the game.

#16 1 year ago
  17. TheWulf

Yay! I was and still am a fan of the first Diablo. There was a lot it did right. Diablo II was a very different experience from it, which I enjoyed, and I got to be a werewolf. (I quite enjoyed that.)

It’s just a shame that this has to share the same name, really. This is utterly trite compared to the prior two games. Both Diablo I and Diablo II could have good things said about them for different reasons. They were both quite different from each other, and both were fun experiences.

I just don’t understand why Diablo III exists.

If you can’t do something at least as well as I or II, then just don’t bother. This is why I like the Torchlight games, though. Even as what they are, they’re good, but the modders tend to do really clever and interesting things with them. It was the puzzle dungeon mods of Torchlight I that inspired Runic to include puzzle dungeons in Torchlight II.

#17 1 year ago
  18. TheWulf

I often envision Blizzard as the man who steps up to the podium, breathes in to offer his enlightening speech… then pulls out a shiv and starts stabbing himself repeatedly over and over in the balls whilst screaming “IT’S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT’S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!!

I mean, remember the time that they told us that the Auction House was for our own good, because it stopped us from getting hacked? And then they stabbed themselves in the nuts by then telling us they were toning down the impact of the Auction House?

That’s Blizzard for you.

#18 1 year ago
  19. silkvg247

@11 Yes I’m afraid so.. I completed Inferno *before* they nerfed it. With a wizard that died in literally 1 or 2 hits. I did need a player to join me on the finale though, because we were literally in one shot death territory. Ah good old forced multiplayer. Sigh.

I bought the game before knowing it would be so much different, and not in a positive way either. Now I know what it’s like, won’t be buying the expansion. I’m no pushover, I’m a middle aged yorkshire woman and I’m more stubborn than most.. I said I wouldn’t buy Saints Row 4 due to price fixing and I didn’t – and SR is one of my more beloved franchises.

I hate D3, would still play an accurate remake of D1 any day of the week compared to that trash. I actually think back to playing it and get an unpleasant feeling and wonder why I put myself through that.

Diablo 2 was okay, D1 is where it’s at. It had the atmosphere and it had the difficulty.

@17 After D1 aged there’s been a a *huge* gap in the market for a genuinely atmospheric, scary and difficult horror themed dungeon crawler / loot hunt / action rpg. If I had the resources I’d be making it myself. I agree D2 had it’s own charm and was still a million miles better than D3.

As for torchlight 1 / 2 – I really wanted them to fill the void but for me I got bored very quickly of both.. for whatever reason. I think just too cartoony and not an interesting enough story.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Vice

Dear fucking pathetic douchbags Blizzard. The main reason to refuse giving us an offline play is because you’re too afraid to lose few precious bucks with piracy (despite the fact the game’s been out for a year and you can’t even sell much more copies by now anyway — everyone who wanted to buy this shit has bought it). Admit it and don’t give us this shit, and MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE do NOT fucking force the way we play games on us. I hate to play online, I hate to play with other people, I ONLY play single player. And as long as there IS an option to play alone (and there is in D3), you fucking HAVE to give us a way to play it offline.
    Fucking assholes.

#20 1 year ago
  21. soheyl

It is a way ignoring gamers rights from Blizzard.Maybe some players are more relaxed with offline mode.Blizzard should give his gamers freedom to choose between online and offline mode like Borderlands2.You can play however you want.

#21 1 year ago
  22. baskahr

Awesome, Blizzard, you just lost me.
    No offline mode, I’m at home after surgery and Virgin Media have just ripped up all the cabling outside to “improve” their services, meaning I don’t have broadband/tv/telephone for a week, now I can’t even play Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2. Wonderful, you guys should extract your heads from you’re arses and think a bit further than “ooh, it’s a social thing” it can’t be “social” if we can’t connect!!!!

#22 1 year ago
  23. silkvg247

So, anyone wanna help me make a spiritual successor to the original d1? :p

#23 1 year ago
  24. rinny

People are fucking retarded. Ideal would be having the CHOICE to CHOOSE whether to play online or offline. Epic failure beyond belief on blizzards’ part, thinking that it was actually a good idea to require D3 to be only online play on the pc. Now I wanna get it on a console. ‘Cause internet is fucked all the time for me. Internets always wack.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Cobra951

@24: I ignored the game completely on PC because of this, but chances are I would have passed on it even if I could play offline. It had too many other poor decisions forced on it at launch, in particular the poor-loot/auction-house fiasco. All has been fixed on the consoles, and it feels very much like a Diablo game on these. PC gamers get the other fixes. Even the AH is going bye bye. But the online requirement still makes it as unacceptable to me as it is to you.

#25 1 year ago