Xbox One – Kinect will overcome its “perception problem,” says Microsoft’s Penello

Tuesday, 3rd September 2013 20:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft’s planning and marketing director Albert Penello believes the public’s perception of Kinect will change once they get their hands on an Xbox One.

Speaking with OXM, Penello said one of the ways in which perceptions will change is that Kinect for Xbox One was built not as an accessory like the first iteration, but was engineered alongside the new console.

“One of the biggest challenges with Kinect is that the people who are the most vocal against it, often haven’t used it,” Penello said. “You know, we’ve sold 26 million of them against a 76 million unit install base, or something along those lines – but the problem is it’s an accessory right? And whenever you have an accessory, you know, as a guy who’s worked on platforms now for three generations, there’s always a pro and a con to an accessory.

“The con is, when developers can’t rely on it, when they don’t know it’s there, they’re never going to take full advantage of it. So, you get these inconsistent gaming experiences, you get inconsistent implementation, game developers had to choose to take CPU power away from the console to support the skeletons. And what we said was, for those of us that use it – like I don’t play Pixar Rush, it’s not my kind of game, but I use Kinect all the time for Xbox pause, Xbox play.

“And when you see the features that the new Kinect can do – we just said, you know what, like let’s take that decision of having to make that trade off away and the console will support it, it’s native, it was engineered for it.”

Penello went on to say that he believes the new experiences created for Kinect “will sell” especially now that “everybody can rely on it, now that we’re not burdening developers [with the task of making] trade-offs with games that use it, that means more people are going to experience it.”

Kinect is not required for Xbox One to run, but will be shipped with every console staring in November.

1. Mr Sparkle

Will it? I perceive it as something I do not want to use.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Joe Anderson

I’m not interested in Kinect at all, although I’ll get Xbox one, Kinect will be switched off.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Beta

Can’t say I’m interested in Kinect or PS Eye. Nor do I expect to be in the future.

#3 12 months ago
  4. xxJPRACERxx

I’m not a fan of the 1st Kinect and pure Kinect-only games, but I see great potential with this one. I’m sure by the end of the generation Kinect would become THE differential factor between X1 and PS4.

I’m glad it’s included in every box.

#4 12 months ago
  5. bradk825

I think in general he’s right, but there will always be critics. That’s fine. I am someone who enjoys Kinect games and will be happy to see the improved version, and the fact that devs know everyone’s got it is a big plus for me. I am glad they stuck to their guns on the bundled Kinect. If they fragment the market it just means more barely useful features and no real investment.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Sylrissa

I was thrilled when they removed the region locking and always online, now if they just offer me an X1 without the kinect I’ll buy it, because I have zero interest in having it sit as a brick in my home.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Biscuitpants

i prefer the move then kinect tbh

#7 12 months ago
  8. aseddon130

I’d probably agree, using kinect for navigational purposes seems more appealing to me than playing it for games. I would still have my Kinect connected to my Xbox 360 if it wasn’t slowing my console down.

#8 12 months ago
  9. cluggy89

gonna get the X1 but have no intention to play kinect games as we know it today (eg kinect sports/adventures and the such). would love to see waaaaay more kinect enabled games like voice commands, face mapping, mo-cap (would love to be able to record exactly how my guy in cod for example dies, or user created taunts for in game) and i know im getting ahead of myself here but it would be awesome XD

#9 12 months ago
  10. Playmaker

bring on the new kinect. Cant wait!

#10 12 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

They have to overcome this:

#11 12 months ago
  12. cluggy89

@11 lmao wow… just wow

#12 12 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

Now it can see you doing that in the dark in 1080p! :)

#13 12 months ago
  14. cluggy89

@13 lol its so anoying when you see things like that coz when your playing these games it really doesnt feel like you’re looking like a complete tool lol

#14 12 months ago
  15. Madgame

I think Microsoft is the one that needs to overcome perception issues.

#15 12 months ago
  16. nickmadden

Most kinect games aren’t too much fun when you’re playing by yourself, but when you play with a whole group it’s a blast. Then again most “hardcore gamers” probably don’t have many friends.

#16 12 months ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

Nope, forcing it onto people who don’t want it isn’t a good strategy. If people want Kinect they will buy it 24 million people clearly did.

Anyway if anyone cares to list that 10 officially supported Kinect games or 10 exclusive Kinect games (not by MS) that would be great. Because ATM wheres the support? wheres the proof developers will invest in Kinect support? Action speaks louder than words.

#17 12 months ago
  18. bradk825

@17 That’s why he’s saying he thinks Kinect “will” overcome perception problems and not “has.” November hasn’t come yet, and you can’t see the investment until it happens. The proof will come later, and the generation will last beyond 2013. Time will tell.

#18 12 months ago
  19. Lengendaryboss

First impressions and all.

#19 12 months ago
  20. Professor Zoom

#17 Motion control was forced onto people who bought a Wii 1…

#20 12 months ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

Um your point being?

#21 12 months ago
  22. sebastien rivas

Let’s clarify this.

What point can kinect bring tothe table and make gamers wow:
    1) RPG
    2) Action games
    3) FPS
    4) strategy games
    5) Family games

#22 12 months ago
  23. Major Mayhem 70

Um that the Wii outsold the other two consoles.

What we have here is a case of that book written by Dr. Seuss . Green Eggs and Ham
    To my knowledge none of us have tried the new Kinect and yet many want to say that they will never use it, they will turn it off, they don’t want it. Well if that’s your stance then don’t buy it. Get the PS4 for Christ sake. It’s a great system as well. As for me, I be damned if I pay $500 for a game system and not try and utilize every function it has to offer. Who knows what developers might come up with in the future. I remember when the dual shock controller came out on the first Playstation and it was thought to be a gimmick. Now we can’t live without it. Those that are buying the X1 aught to give the Kinect a fair chance. Those that aren’t that’s your choice. Microsoft sees and have been telling us the the X1 and the Kinect are one in the same which is why it’s sold as one. We could speculate that they will one day make it optional but I see them lowering the price before that option becomes available. They believe what they’ve created will become a success. Time will tell if their gamble pays off.

#23 12 months ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

Comparing a console built around motion controls and a console that has one in it which is completely optional and unnecessary are two different beasts.

I’m talking about Kinect, bringing up past “gimmicks” is irrelevant to my post and in general, never called Kinect a gimmick. I don’t recall the dualshock controller being an optional control method to something else.

As for giving Kinect a chance if i can’t determine for myself whether or not to try it out and purchase it myself having it forced in the box will make me vocal. Get a PS4? reminds me of “get an Xbox 360″ if i don’t have the internet: it doesn’t solve the problem.

#24 12 months ago
  25. FeaturePreacher

Let me point out an analagous device to the kinect. The Wii U was released with a single touch resistive touch screen. Nintendo demoed a lot of scenarios where the touch screen could be used. When it was released, essentially 3rd parties just put a map on it or allowed the entire game to be played from it. Regardless of how it’s used what it basically did was add a huge cost that prevented the rest of the system from having better hardware such as a faster more robust cpu, gpu, or larger storage or ram. Nintendo forced it instead of just a controller without a touch screen and now they’re struggling to maintain relevance with 3rd parties.

So here we have Kinect, which is also being forced. Much like the Wii U touch screen it’s adding an unnecessary cost that forced Microsoft to use DDR3 ram instead of GDDR5. Not only that, but it’s raising the cost compared to its competition. So I guess will see how long Microsoft can tolerate a user base slipping away from them due to $100 cost to talk to your tv, which is something that many 2012 and older tvs can already do. They have proven so far that they really have no vision with the way they’ve capitulated so far that I would predict that in about 3 months after launch, Kinect will be made optional.

#25 12 months ago
  26. Major Mayhem 70

Price lowered

#26 12 months ago
  27. wildBoar

@25 have ma babbys!!! Seriously though thank fucking god there’s still a few god posters on this site.

And spot on observation, does anyone know in particular how Kinect will “enhance” games? Voice commands aren’t practical, and Kinect only games doesn’t really entice gamers either. It was clearly included for the faux smart-tv functionality, super bowl and all that and not for “true” games. It’s pretty clear no one knows how to employ it outside of gimmicks like voice commands in traditional titles, and Kinect-only games are casual as hell. The audience in mind when they designed the thing is casual at best, they showed that pretty clearly in the unveil, and now they’re desperately trying to sell it to the hardcore crowd.
    I don’t think there is a “problem” with how gamers percieve Kinect, it’s pretty clear who it was meant for.

#27 12 months ago
  28. Major Mayhem 70

Why? Ask PS3 why it came out with a console more expensive than its competition. Price was lowered system soared. Bluray was the reason for the higher cost but most people at the time didn’t have the type of television that would showcase the blurays dominance over DVD. So the average consumer didn’t see why they should purchase a more expensive system that they couldn’t fully appreciate. Cost of HDTVs dropped and so did PS3. MS is making a similar call with the Kinect. MS saw some success with the original Kinect. Considering it was an accessory that was sold years after the 360s launch, 26 million sold is a good number by anyone’s standard. Problem is, that leaves 50 million without a Kinect. If I made games the math tells me not to create for the Kinect. MS creates a new system and finds it vital to include their “new and improved” Kinect. Smart move to do this to improve the chances of developers creating for it. Problem is it adds to the cost. Sales too sluggish, price drop is in order. Won’t be the first time a gaming console had to sell at a loss, won’t be the last.

#28 12 months ago
  29. MadFlavour

Yes so will new soft drink, HeachIvyAid.

#29 12 months ago
  30. cluggy89

alot of people thought smartglass was a bad idea now everything has second screen

#30 12 months ago
  31. Major Mayhem 70

They’re not selling the X1 without the Kinect. If you don’t want it don’t buy it. You want to play X1 games? Guess you’ll be getting one with a Kinect. MS doesn’t see the Kinect as an accessory but considers it Xbox One. That’s not forcing anyone to do anything but to decide whether you want an X1 or a PS4 or a Wii U or sticking with a current console and twiddle your thumbs wondering if they ever make Kinect optional. The only option they are offering now concerning the Kinect is to shut it off and not use it. You spend $500 and not use it that’s your business. People are buying the X1 so MS will have a base of users to begin with. As I said, when the sales get slow then comes the price drop. PS3 survived by using this tactic and so will Xbox.
    I didn’t say you thought the dual shock was a gimmick. What I was trying to say was that the initial dual shock was once thought of to be a gimmick. It came out in 1997 and you could use it with the original Playstation. Some warmed up to it some didn’t. PS2 came out and it was the standard controller for the PS2, 3 and soon to be 4. MS wants the Kinect to be its standard for its future consoles. As I’ve always said, only time will tell. I’m willing to give them an opportunity to prove it, by paying the launch price.

#31 12 months ago
  32. ddtd

@9 Exactly. There’s so much more devs could use connect for–especially this new one–other than “being the controller.”

I want to see Kinect become an integration into the normal control scheme, like being able to lean with my body to lean out from cover in a shooter. Stuff like that.

I think we will see some cool stuff this generation. Most of the neat stuff people did with connect were home brew and/or indie projects. Now that MS opened up Kinect 2 tools to any indie dev that wants them, I bet they’ll be some really creative stuff coming out in the next year or two.

#32 12 months ago
  33. cluggy89

@31 hells yeahs, well and truly agreed
    @32 holy crap i’ve fell behind in Project Spark news lol. had no idea

#33 12 months ago
  34. Phoenixblight

“As for the mo-cap stuff, its already in Prject Spark. I read a preview where the recorded voice and animated a troll npc in Spark. That’s the kind of stuff that will help people take Kinect more seriously.”

Its actually pretty bad. Nothing to showcase the kinect at all. The arms were flipping and not doing exactly what the demonstrator was doing. I have seen better mo cap from a 100$ machine at GDC.

#34 12 months ago
  35. MFBB

Kinect sucks and is useless.

Just like the PS Camera.

No interest in being video/audio recorded, waving my hands around, shouting commands at the screen…

I would only get one of those if I had Kids.

For them it sure it is fun to play.

Occulust Rift and Sonys soon to come virtual reality glasses are way more interesting for gaming.

They gonne reach 720p soon with Occulust Rift and sometime later 1080p.

Or may be Sony already reached that with there glasses, they want to announce it later this year.

#35 12 months ago