Sony plans to release its own VR headset for PlayStation 4 in 2014 – report

Tuesday, 3rd September 2013 14:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony plans to release its own virtual reality headset for PlayStation 4 in 2014, sources close to Eurogamer have stated.

The sources state Sony’s VR headset “will work similarly to Oculus Rift” and the peripheral has been demoed internally with PS4 exclusive DriveClub and the headset allows users to look around the cockpit of the car.

Evolution Studios, the developers of the racing game, houses the Worldwide Studios Stereoscopic 3D team and has been working on 3D game development since 2008.

Eurogamer was told Sony’s VR headset was slated to appear at gamescom at one point but was pulled from the show and will now be unveiled sometime next year.

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida declined to comment on the matter at gamescom, and said: “We don’t talk about that,” and wouldn’t comment further.

The makers of Oculus Rift have said previously that there’s a possibility its headset could eventually be supported by Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony at some point.

1. Ekona

If true, that’s a killer blow to the OR. I actively expected Sony to team up with them and allow the OR to work on the PS4 which would’ve been massive for both companies.

#1 8 months ago
  2. CyberMarco

If true, it would have been better if they have teamed up with the OR team so you could use the same device for PC and PS4. Maybe the Sony VR headset will work like the OR on PC.

#2 8 months ago
  3. VibraniumSpork

@1 True, but both this and the OR’s biggest hurdles are the RRP. I still can’t see these things selling at much of a lower price than the consoles themselves, and who wants to pay that for an accessory?

#3 8 months ago
  4. super3001

fail fail fail

sony already fail at 3d just more fail lol they never learn

#4 8 months ago
  5. viralshag

I can see this being Sony’s follow up to pushing the whole 3D nonsense.

People don’t even want to sit at home with 3D glasses on, are people really going to be bothered about sitting there with a whole VR headset? It just seems like a waste of a TV for a start and so anti-social.

I’m really struggling to get behind this VR thing.

#5 8 months ago
  6. FuntimeBen

Very cool. I’m assuming Sony will most likely be working with the OR team on this one because of their patents. But I would rather spend $250 on a VR headset than a $100 Kinect any day of the week!

#6 8 months ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Sony have a habit of creating new tech, then dropping it or offering little to no support.

haven’t got high hopes for this (if rumour is true…), it just sounds like they want to get something out the door to compete with Occulus and the impending Xbone glasses / illumiroon stuff.

Remember this?

#7 8 months ago
  8. super3001

yes sony already fail with vr headset I forget lol

#8 8 months ago
  9. Bashtee

@7 I wouldn’t be surprised if it would actually be a HMZ-T3. They just released a version for usage in the medical field. As far as I know, there was also some support for the HMZ-T1 / T2 in GT5, where you also could look around in the cockpit.

#9 8 months ago
  10. monkeygourmet

It’s not quite the same, but, yeah, Sony seem to spend a shit load on tech and R&D only to let products die out.

They release a baffling amount of products I think. Would be much more suited to offer:

1 good phone
    1 good tablet
    1 PC / Laptop

Basically, what Apple do.

Their products end up fighting with one another or they drop support before they have time to ‘mature’.

Me too, and, if thats the case, at least they are getting some use out of the product! :)

#10 8 months ago
  11. Lv01

@5 i enjoy playing my PS3 in 3D!
    wipeout HD and Fury are awesome in 3D, and the Jak and Daxter trilogy recently picked up on PS+ for free is also 3D, and thats been fun to play that way too.
    in fact, the only game that wasnt fun to play in 3D was CoD.

@topic VR will still be too expensive initially for me. a little later down the line though, and who knows!?

#11 8 months ago
  12. G1GAHURTZ

Interesting…

I think MS are going the AR route with X1.

#12 8 months ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

Agreeing and interacting with a xbox troll, well i can’t say thats a first.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Christopher Jack

I think an upgraded but more affordable version of their current head mounted display with dual 1080p 3D screens, accelerometer and gyroscope & perhaps a premium model with 7.1 surround sound could be great.

#14 8 months ago
  15. wildBoar

I’d read the Eurogamer article, much more in-depth. Apparently they’ve been working on it since 2008, it’s bound to be something worthwhile at this point.

#15 8 months ago
  16. diego-rbb-93

Nobody though this is good news for gamer and bad news for Yamauchi? All GT7 Cars must be Premium now. Hahahahahaha!

#16 8 months ago
  17. ddtd

I already planned on getting a ps4 right before Infamous comes out, but this news is making the purchase even easier.

My guess is that MS’s response might be to throw tons of money towards getting the OR on the X1. Not a creative solution, but it wouldn’t be a bad thing either. It’s be cool to see really good VR on both consoles.

#17 8 months ago
  18. sebastien rivas

why not VR Sony, why not, but will this VR be native to games or should developpers make games only for VR/Sony.

I can see lots of good use for this VR, especially for FPS and the fact you can turn 360 without the use of thumbstick or alike, yet and again, avoiding the coffee table may be a huge deal to many.

The second major hurdle is find out if those tiny headset sreens will give you major headaches like 3D glasses back in the days of Sega 8 bits.

The third major hurdle is price point. The VR must be used natively with any sony Ps4 games to get a price point any higher than 150$, or else it will fail before it is born.

#18 8 months ago
  19. 2-D

Please stop wasting your money Sony. Please. When I see stuff like this I worry for the future of Sony.

#19 8 months ago
  20. lookingglass

First were the rumors of a cheap vita + PS4 bundle.

Now, more blatant lies to hype the PS4 up.

To think Sony has anything that can compete with Palmer and Carmack over at Occulus is just stupid.

Not to mention, VR needs 60 stereoscopic, v-sync’d FPS all the time. Any dips and it’s horribly disorienting. The PS4 is a midrange PC. They throw around 60 FPS a lot but they say nothing of v-sync, meaning games will dip below 60 frequently. And it’s not stereoscopic, it’s just a single screen.

A 1080p VR headset is going to need at least a high end PC to run with decent graphics settings. And it might even need special hardware to reduce latency and get rid of motion sickness. Specialized video cards or hardware might be the only way to beat it, which would leave both consoles unfit for VR.

#20 8 months ago
  21. Erthazus

That’s actually the thinbg that will blow everythinbg out of the competition.

Good price with a console can be a fantastic thing.

#21 8 months ago
  22. sebastien rivas

Let’s keep that in mind.
    Just like you, I do not like being fooled/lied to and when it happens, it is over.

Though I give a chance to Sony… now will it come in 2014 is a real question…

#22 8 months ago
  23. Dragon246

@LB,
    What did you expect from him? Some people enjoy company of trolls. It says a lot about them.

#23 8 months ago
  24. polygem

dragon on the manhunt again…grrrrr tiger. i might have found some stuff from you online…you seem to be one hell of a dedicated plarform loyalist you twen you.

#24 8 months ago
  25. Dragon246

^Says the one preaching the virtues of MY BELOVED 3DS AND WIIU on PS4 and X1 threads. Damn salesman.

You really feel the wet urge to protect your dear fellow ninty loyalist don’t you? Viral is very right about ninty fanboys being blockheads.

Oh, and continue posting MY NINTY IZ THE BEST threads. Its not like anyone other than a ninty loyalist will bother to waste time on such useless threads anyway.

#25 8 months ago
  26. polygem

rrrrrr tiger. bring it.

#26 8 months ago
  27. xFidelCashflow

I hope it looks similar to the picture of the Sony VR I saw a few months back. I think it was a leak, it wasn’t broadcasted all over by Sony, but it didn’t look fake either. All that black & blue made it look gorgeous

#27 8 months ago
  28. Johnnymaxx

Well, I for one will buy it for sure. I love 3D movies and games and I’m all up for even higher imersive gaming.

Hope this is true. But even if it isn’t, Occulus Rift will be right around the corner.

#28 8 months ago
  29. Diingo

VR has a long ways to go. I had the opportunity to try out the Oculus Rift at PAX here in Seattle, and my first initial reaction was how pixilated it looked because there’s literally a screen right in front of your eyes. However after about a minute or two it adjust to your eyes but mmmmaybe it was just the demo I was playing.

#29 8 months ago
  30. fearmonkey

I bet Sony has licensed the tech.

Shuhei Yoshida was caught demoing the OR and was asked if the OR was coming to the PS4, h said no comment, and that was months ago. The rumored glasses have been in the works by MS for a long time, I knew Sony was going to do something like this to compete.

#30 8 months ago
  31. dexfx69

If true, Oculus Rift will be possibly bought out by MicroShit, and renamed as an addon to the Xbone. But will be available much later than Sony’s headset.

Hard to beat the Japanese when it comes to next gen tech at a great consumer price point.

#31 8 months ago
  32. Sanwiches

that has got to be no more than a toy than the first kinect was. I mean, the O.R. isnt even finished, there’re many problems to overcome before it can be released. 2014 seems almost too soon. I don’t know. But maybe they’ve a couple of John Carmacks in their team.

#32 8 months ago