Oculus Rift: anti-motion sickness tech “improving”

Tuesday, 3rd September 2013 16:12 GMT By Sherif Saed

Oculus Rift users sometimes report nausea, motion sickness and similar symptoms. Nate Mitchell, vice president of product at the VR goggles’ developer, has assured that everything’s being done to counter the problem.

In an interview conducted at gamescom by PCGamesN, Mitchell said, “I think that’s one of the biggest challenges.”

He added: “The technology is improving rapidly on all fronts; we’re doing a lot on positional tracking, trying to solve that, which will help game developers; we’re working on our display technology; our standard orientation tracking technology; comfort. I mean, all of these factors contribute to simulator sickness.”

Despite the challenge, Mitchell is working to perfect the software and hardware while helping developers better understand the causes of motion sickness.

“We’re doing everything we can to make the hardware and software work better,” he said.

“But, one of the challenges is content. It’s having developers educated on what causes simulator sickness, what doesn’t. When you’re simulating reality very effectively there will always be experiences that make people dizzy in real life [that] will make people dizzy in VR. And there’s a bunch of stuff that you can do in VR that will make people dizzy which is impossible in the real world. A lot of what we’re doing right now is discovering.”

Mitchell also noted that despite efforts, some people will suffer from these symptoms because of its similarity to real-life situations.

“You may be more susceptible to motion sickness than me, for example. Simulator sickness is the same way. One beautiful thing that’s really important to note is that people acclimate over time. After playing with the Rift for like two or three days you don’t get simulator sickness any more. Just like sailors getting their sea legs. The community calls it getting your VR legs.”

Oculus Rift VR recently added John Carmack as a chief technology officer to help with the latency issues.

1. TheKeyPit

I tried the racing demo at gamescom and everytime I looked to the side and then back to the front my body moved a little bit. It was a bit strange for the first time.
    These goggles are on my most-wanted-list :D

#1 11 months ago
  2. torjs99

i sold my rift a week ago for just this reason. i’ve never suffer with motion sickness when travelling by land, sea and air. i think with me the problem was the smoothness of travel. my brain found this too weird and let me know by making me feel sick for hours even after taking the headset off.

#2 11 months ago
  3. nollie4545

This thing is the most important gaming invention since the discreet GPU. Seriously. ALL PC gamers MUST buy this thing. This is where the console queens and their kinect shit get off the wagon and get run over by the train.

#3 11 months ago
  4. Phoenixblight

I was able to try it out and I have to agree that this issue needs to be resolved as I played it for an hour and was motion sick for most of the day. I am able to do 3D on the big screen, car, air and boat but this I cannot.

#4 11 months ago
  5. monkeygourmet

But, you likey?

Was it awesome before you blew chunks? :)

#5 11 months ago
  6. Professor Zoom

Now that they’ve crafted the normal version and are now working on an HD version, does that mean they will craft a 3D version too? It looks like a nice piece of hardware, but it looks kinda like a rip off to me if they’re gonna craft a 3D version too.

#6 11 months ago
  7. xxJPRACERxx

@6 ???

VR is 3d. One display for each eyes.

#7 11 months ago
  8. dexfx69

This:

“When you’re simulating reality very effectively there will always be experiences that make people dizzy in real life [that] will make people dizzy in VR.”

There’s no escaping it. Some games with frenetic action will cause dizziness, just as it would if those frenetic games were in real life. Certain games are not so great for 3D.

#8 11 months ago
  9. hfardig

I think the product is successful and is entertaining but I also think that everyone responds differently to any product.

#9 11 months ago