GAME stores announce £40 next-gen trade-in deal

Tuesday, 3rd September 2013 10:13 GMT By Dave Cook

GAME stores across the UK are offering gamers a guaranteed £40 trade-in value on certain current-gen games when ‘grading up’ to next-gen editions of the same title.

MCV reports that GAME is offering the deal on a range of PS3 and Xbox 360 titles when traded for PS4 and Xbox One editions.

So far, Battlefield 4, FIFA 14 and Call of Duty: Ghosts are confirmed as part of the deal, although it’s not clear if you can take advantage of the offer when trading cross-platform – For example: trading a PS3 edition of FIFA 14 for the Xbox One version.

What do you make of the incentive? Let us know below.

1. godzillaisdead

Should help make for strong launch days

#1 1 year ago
  2. someguy2

This must indicate that the price of next-gen games is at least £45+

#2 1 year ago
  3. viralshag

They’ve already said, they’re going to be £50 RRP.

EDIT: My bad, looks like they’re £54.99.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DrDamn

Which incidentally is the current RRP for lots of releases for PS3/360 too. They just tend to be discounted more by retailers. MS have said RRP for their published titles is £50 and Sony normally do the same, though no announcement yet.

#4 1 year ago
  5. viralshag

@4, True, I expect the supermarkets to get involved. I have no problem buying from them if they can continue to be competitve.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DrDamn

This less discounting tends to happen at the start of a generation and get better for the consumer as the generation goes on. I’m planning on going largely digital where I can anyway so maybe I should be stocking up my PSN wallet while the codes are cheap on Shopto. :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. viralshag

@6, They really need to improve digital console prices before I fully take the plunge on that side of things.

If they attempt to at least match the price, as in £50 online/£50 in store, I could see convenience winning over and pricing remaining the same for a while yet.

#7 1 year ago
  8. MFBB

#7 yeah prices on Steam/PSN are all over the place.

Sometimes retail is 40€ cheaper and sometimes digital is 9€ compared to retail 49€ or so.

I always have to compare retail/online.

But recently the prices have been great on PSN when they offer certain games for a reduced price 1 week long or so.

You only have to spot it :) and Steam has the summer/winter sale.

#8 1 year ago