Dragon Age: Inquisition next-gen build to offer “huge” visual leap over current-gen editions

Tuesday, 3rd September 2013 09:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Dragon Age: Inquisition on PC, PS4 and Xbox One will offer a “huge” leap in visual quality and immersion over its current-gen counterparts, according to BioWare Edmonton producer Cameron Lee.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Lee – like the rest of EA – referred to the next generation as ‘Gen 4′, and added, “On gen four you’ll see far better graphics and, more importantly, a much more immersive world. It’s a lot richer, and there’s more depth to it. We can put more things on screen. There are more NPCs. There is more life to the world. That, while a subtle thing, really does over time build up into quite a strong connection to the game compared to the other gen three platforms.”

When asked to discuss the visual difference between current and next-gen builds of the RPG, Lee continued, “The visual fidelity differences are huge. For example, the shaders you can put on the characters through different weather systems. The build up system we have, like when you walk through mud, the mud builds up on the leg, then if you’re in a fight, blood goes on top of the mud.

“One of our graphics programmers took a nug and overlayed all these different things on it. Eventually it looked like a nug that had been dipped in chocolate because there was so much stuff that was put on top of it. That’s all the power you can get from the gen four stuff. You’ll see that sort of a difference.

“The spell visual effects are incredible on the gen four and high-end PC. On gen three they will be much lower fidelity. Seeing Vivienne bringing up that big fire storm is brilliant on gen four and high-end PC. That’s the kind of stuff that will make this a gen four experience.”

If you missed Stace’s eyes-on impressions of Dragon Age: Inquisition you can check them out here. He reckons it learns from the mistakes of the series history. What do you think?

The game’s out on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in Autumn 2014.

1. orakaa

Yeah… well so far, from the gameplay clip that has been released a few days ago, it doesn’t look particularly better than current gen…

#1 8 months ago
  2. Hcw87

Yes it does. Even at Pre-Alpha it looks better than what any current gen system can run.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Froseidon

Not to mention, it is pre-alpha.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Luciferous

After watching the the PAX presentation some had recorded on YouTube, i can quite happily say it is leaps and bounds beyond current gen already.

Also, if this is Gen Four, then the consoles started with the original Playstation/ Xbox, which as we all know isn’t true… this will be Gen Six… or maybe Seven.

#4 8 months ago
  5. tezzer1985

I’m confused, so it’s only going to look better, that sucks, I would expect much more then shinny graphics, what’s the point getting new consoles straight away? And this is coming out end of next year..

#5 8 months ago
  6. infernalism

@4 original Playstation is one generation older, than original xbox.

Firstly, graphics are of little importance, it’s the gameplay and new design choices, that shouldn’t be possible on current gen, that are of real importance. Graphics are nice, but they’re not going to define next-gen.
    Secondly, DA:I certainly doesn’t look better than the competition (namely The Witcher 3), while also not being truly open world.

#6 8 months ago
  7. orakaa

Ehhm… I’m sorry, it is better looking than previous Dragon Age games, but I find The Witcher 2 on 360 way better looking than this, along with many other games.

Of course this is early gameplay and it got time to get better, but still, so far, there’s nothing that impressive compared to current gen.

#7 8 months ago
  8. Paranormal Pett

The Pre-Alpha build they showed at pax looked amazing. Much better then games that have already been released this year.

No matter which way you put it. This isn’t Gen 4. It’ll be Gen 8. Hell, even if you start with Sega Master System / NES/ Commodore it’ll be Gen 6. By starting with the original Playstation / Sega Saturn / N64, they are missing out on a wealth of historic and memorable games.

#8 8 months ago
  9. xxJPRACERxx

ps1 and n64 was the 1st gen of 3d consoles… And we’ll get back to 1st gen with the arrival of 4d consoles! ;)

#9 8 months ago
  10. TheWulf

The game looks much better and their modelling of characters has benefited hugely from this. They also don’t seem to have the ‘vacant stare’ problem that’s so prevalent with pretty much all Unreal Engine games that have human characters. So there’s that. Still a bit cross-eyed, but I don’t know if we’ll ever escape the Uncanny Valley fully. (Which might explain why I’m drawn to non-humans in things, there’s no Uncanny Valley quality with those, especially when stylised.)

They still haven’t told us what I’m waiting to hear, though: The general synopsis of the plot. And that they’re being so tight-lipped terrifies me, because it’s probably just going to be about saving the bloody world again.

#10 8 months ago
  11. Phoenixblight

Its not tight lipped. THey had already mentioned what the general idea is your character is forming its own faction(inquisition) that supersedes other factions. You are trying to find the cause of why the vale was ripped open and why the demons are pouring out of it. You have to get the other kingdoms to work with each other to save the world.

#11 8 months ago
  12. RandomPerson

@6 and @7
    I find it odd that every single thread on DA:I invariably turns into a conversation about the Witcher series.

Personally, I have never been a fan of CD Projekt. Their games suck up a tremendous amount of resources and are terribly inefficient. I can play Bioshock Infinite with maxed out settings on my laptop, but when I try to run the Witcher II, my computer almost implodes.

I think DA:I is shaping up quite nicely. The graphics look amazing, I like the top-down tactical option, you can pick your own race, and the game world is huge.

#12 8 months ago
  13. the dog

Actually this is the first time I’ve ever heard it compared to Witcher3. Personally I like CD Projekt sooooo much more than Bioware. I play Witcher2 maxed out on everything and it runs smooth as silk. Funny how that works. Another thing, since you brought it up, CD Projekt hasn’t yet lied to it fans. Don’t think Bioware can say that. Nope, that’s a really big no.
    But on the lighter, brighter side, I will admit it looks good, at least graphically. They’ve screwed us before and game there fans the finger for questioning them, so I won’t pre order this, but at least now I won’t say for sure, that I won’t get it. I will wait for reviews I trust and not just fanboy reviewers. GameInformer, OMG what a bunch of fanboys. Won’t even read their review. 9 or a 10 for sure, no matter how bad or good it is. I will keep an open mind though. Interested to see how this plays.

#13 8 months ago
  14. RandomPerson

Fair enough. I just hope that, if Bioware knocks one out of the park, people ease up on them some. Sure, they have made their mistakes in the past, but what company hasn’t? Look at Bethesda. They almost went bankrupt after the buggy mess that was Daggerfall. Flash forward 10+ years, and they are one of the top RPG developers around.

Bioware gave us Baldur’s Gate, KOTOR, Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, inter alia, surely they deserve some credit?

#14 8 months ago