Wolfenstein: The New Order gameplay footage and video interview inside

Monday, 2nd September 2013 16:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Wolfenstein: The New Order was shown at gamescom last month. VG247′s Sam Clay has served up a piping hot dish of gameplay video for you to digest with your eyes. Be careful to blow on it first.

In the clip, you’ll see lots of guns and Nazis but what you won’t get is a proper feel for is just how satisfying this game is to hold in your hands. Both Sam and I played it at the show and while my write-up and interview is coming much later, I can safely say this is a huge leap in quality over the previous Wolfenstein.

The gunplay is chunky as hell – especially when dual wielding a pair of freaking assault rifles – and there’s a nice level of surface destruction. For example, if a Nazi takes cover behind a wooden table you can simply evaporate it with bullets so he has nowhere to hide. It looked lovely running on PC.

It also has Fergus, the best Scottish character in a game ever. Period. I almost lost my shit when he called one rookie soldier a “wee roaster” and then later on a “doss tool.” That’s pretty common chat from my neck of the woods.

Anyways, yes, the game is violent, slick, brimming with secrets, and dark as all hell, but I’ll let Sam’s video do the talking now. Be sure to keep an eye out for my write-up soon.

Let us know what you think below.

1. DSB

That actually doesn’t look totally bad.

I really wouldn’t mind another dumb shooter like The Darkness 2.

#1 12 months ago
  2. monkeygourmet

Hmmmmm….

Im just about to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m-ZUj9bmjE (trailer)

This will give me my occult Nazi fix till this game comes out! :)

@DSB

Yep, Darkness 2 was fun!

#2 12 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

I wasn’t particularly impressed, tbh. For a reason that took me completely out of what I was watching. @1 touched upon the reason why: Dumb shooter. If you look at the gameplay, I think the setting and all BUT the gunplay comes across as pretty inspired, which just makes the implementation of that key aspect which is lacking, all the more heinous in effect.

We’ve just got reboots of two of those, recently, in Shadow Warrior and Rise of the Triad, from that era, so it can’t be that great of a novelty. Unless the genre itself was in dire straits (anything but another MMS!! anything but…etc ;p )
    Why go to all the effort to build a character that the player is intended to use to be drawn into the action, if they then piss any kind of meaningful intent up the wall the instant after he’s opened fire for the 17th time on another identifit goon in a Nazi suit. :( Same reused, generic animations!

It’s so last-gen. It’s just regressive. They gonna up their price, then they also need to up their game. Unless this part of presentation serves a purpose as to hark back to the earlier games in the series, it’s just slapdash and lazy.

#3 12 months ago
  4. fihar

You can dual wield a pair of assault rifles?
    Awesome.

#4 12 months ago
  5. cw5th

@3: We’re talking about the old core team of STarbreeze. The guys that made Riddick and the first Darkness Game. They know how it’s done and wont just make another bang bang broshooter crapfest. THe Opening scene alone is a good indication for what’s comming.

The voice acting of the cast alone, the germans in particular(it’s really german and not some heavy fake accented english with a generic german word every 2 sentences) sound really believable and not the old b-movie crap we’re used to.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Osric

Looks good. I mean, dramatic sequences are great and graphics look very polished. What I don’t like about it besides its subtitle? Well: it has a too ordinary FPS structure for what I can see. If it’s even a little something like Wolfenstein (the last one about the Black Sun and stuff) it’s a waste. If it’s the equivalent of Return to Castle Wolfenstein for these years, AMAZING. I would put a 3rd person shooter cover system to it and the takedown scenes a little like Human Revolution for variety and “spectacularism” which is what this game seeks for. I never found it “fitting” that first person shooters have 3rd person cinematic cutscenes. The structure should be COMPLETE, like BioShock and Half-Life, for instance. Well, bye.

#6 12 months ago
  7. SplatteredHouse

“THe Opening scene alone is a good indication for what’s comming. ”

- said practically everybody else that ever bought a game based on hype from watching a trailer, or went to see a movie only to find that the sequences in the trailer were not actually part of it, for instance.

I hope you’re right, though. It would be fantastic for this Wolfenstein to mark the start of a big return for the franchise.
    But, I can only state that this early impression isn’t that assuring. We’ll see, come February, either way.

#7 12 months ago
  8. boothegreat

This looks fucking badass!

#8 12 months ago
  9. Gheritt White

Um… this actually looks pretty bloody amazing and far better than any Wolfenstein game has any right to be since RtCW basically took it as far as the franchise could conceivably go.

Round of applause, will probs pick up when I eventually get a next-gen system in 2014.

#9 12 months ago
  10. DSB

The original The Darkness just makes me cringe, honestly. Good idea, but in terms of design it was deeply borked.

@3 It’s horses for courses, no?

What made something like The Darkness 2 great was that you had some pretty unassuming gameplay – with a few gimmicks thrown in just for flavor – and then you had these totally scripted, kitschy scenes in between.

That totally worked for me. It was like a B-movie, but the kind of B-movie that is truly entertaining.

I’m getting some of the same hints from this, but obviously there’s still plenty of time to screw it up.

#10 12 months ago
  11. SplatteredHouse

“Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior are both done on the down low, and I think it’s safe to assume that the content reflects that.”

Sorry, what are you trying to say there? Could you be overlooking, and underestimating? From what I’ve seen of Shadow Warrior, it looks full of potential, even above the source material (is my belief.) Flying Wild Hog took influence and inspiration from the Build Engine original, but it’s clearly no 1-1 copy, or slack in implementation. ROTT well, from what I’m seeing, it looks as though it serves a different audience as a tonic from brown and grey shooters. Almost like this modern parcel of yestergame absurdity. Pretty much a hyperQuake derivative modernised and ratcheted up to 11. :D

#11 12 months ago
  12. DSB

@11 It looks fun, but it looks cheap. I don’t think they had the budget to really do a lot of fucking around.

#12 12 months ago