PS4 voice recognition confirmed via PlayStation Camera, presentation footage here

Monday, 2nd September 2013 10:08 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4′s new camera will offer voice recognition, Sony has confirmed.

In a statement to Eurogamer, a Sony spokesperson confirmed the feature and said, “We can confirm that PS Camera does allow voice recognition. We will share more details on this shortly.”

The feature was detailed at the GameStop Expo in Las Vegas over the weekend, and the presentation has been recorded by an audience member, YouTuber lex1020.

Is this something you’d use? Let us know below.

1. super3001

lol sony want kinect so bad

anything ms or nintendo have sony has to copy. never innovate always copy

#1 11 months ago
  2. Petulant Radish

I’m not one to get into console based willy waving, but voice recognition is not the same thing as voice commands.

#2 11 months ago
  3. KAP

One word, “Bluray”

#3 11 months ago
  4. OmegaSlayer

How long have you been gaming?
    2 years?
    Because you don’t remember the story of camera and voice recognition.
    Also the touch pad on the DS4 say hi.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Eury Spenta

so orginal…

#5 11 months ago
  6. VibraniumSpork

@1 The PS2′s Eyetoy came before Kinect bro ( http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/kiss.gif )

#6 11 months ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

It doesn’t matter people will think what they chose to, thinking one innovated and the other copied. Besides Super is a troll.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Arnvidr

Don’t care. Never had or wanted Eyetoy, Move or Kinect, nothing has changed.

#8 11 months ago
  9. melonbuster1

They should have put that eyetoy in the box with the move from day one.. to make sure every developer would support it

#9 11 months ago
  10. Eury Spenta

@9 they wanted a cheap console , Fuc innovation

#10 11 months ago
  11. redwood

not putting it in the box (and forcing everyone to buy it) is a great pro-consumer step from sony. imagine having to pay for a boat everytime you buy a car , simply because the “car also comes with a boat”.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

@9/10
    Forcing customers to have optional peripherals is innovation? LOL Oh tell me: name 10 games by developers who have Kinect only games (Not MS), failing that tell me 10 games that officially have Kinect support.

Bundling something does not equal full developer support.

#12 11 months ago
  13. loci

When voice controlled navigation came to TV’s. It was a useless feature. This will not change with game consoles.

#13 11 months ago
  14. VibraniumSpork

Legendaryboss speaks sense. I really don’t get the animosity for motion controls/cameras. You don’t want one? Don’t buy one (unless you’re an XB1er of course).

All motion controls and cameras do is offer another avenue of play and (oh, the humanity!) make it easier and more inviting for non-gamers to get into the hobby, even if it is in a ‘casual’ way.

Your hand-held controller’s not going anywhere, but this is a method of control that the industry’s experimenting with and trying to see what works. I personally couldn’t give a monkey’s about the Oculus Rift, but I can see how some people dig it. New things have to be tried in gaming just like with anything else, otherwise it dies a slow and tragic death.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Units

This gutted down camera wont be near as any good as Kinect

#15 11 months ago
  16. MFBB

Yeah I also think its stupid to force Kinect/PS Camera on us.

I am glad the PS4 dosnt do it and whoever wants it can simply buy it.

Dont care at all for being video/audio recored, voice commands, waving around…

Xbone would be better if they offered it 100$ cheaper without Kinect for people who dont want to use it anyway.

#16 11 months ago
  17. Ekona

I would rather both consoles came with Kinect/PS Camera, which would in turn drive innovation among the developers as they know that everyone would have one. To not do so may give Sony the one-up in the war on cost and eventually kill the Kinect, but it’s doing a disservice to us as consumers by stifling possible innovation.

Whether or not I like the current range of camera enabled games (I don’t), I still believe that there has to be untapped uses for these things that step outside of the usual dancey-dancey stuff or shouting commands at the TV.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

Yeah no one bothered, because they couldn’t think of a list.

#18 11 months ago
  19. NiceFellow

@13 – voice of reason (pardon the pun)

#19 11 months ago
  20. viralshag

@18, Do you mean new games or current gen games? Because some games that supported the Kinect are:

Mass Effect 3
    FIFA 13
    GR: Future Soldier
    Binary Domain

That’s just off the top of my head. I’m not going to actually bother looking any further into it but I’m sure EA will still continue to add Kinect support to their games where they can.

Not to mention Sony supported the move for things like Killzone 3.

#20 11 months ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

@Viralshag
    I meant next generation games for Xbox One, people above say bundling it equals more support but outside of MS and Ubisoft’s Fighter Within where are the official Kinect supported games (optional or exclusive) from many publishers. Since Kinect is a part of Xbox One.

Like i said bundling it doesn’t equal support. Yes the only major support from these optional peripherals will largely come from the manufacturers.

#21 11 months ago
  22. xxJPRACERxx

It’s not just about the games. It’s all the other small details, like automatically switching profiles when you pass the controller. I don’t care about Kinect games, but I do care about how the devs will add Kinect support in the core games, for me that’s what exciting.

#22 11 months ago
  23. Belazur

#1
    Bwhahahahahahahaha!
    YOU MAD?
    SONY had a camera (Eye-Toy) for the PlayStation long loooooong before MS even knew what a “KINECT” is.

#23 11 months ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

Having a optional forced peripheral cannot just be for the small things, MS has to justify it in the box or it becomes a paperweight. Like i said three times bundling it doesn’t equal or guarantee support. People even failed to list games exclusively used by Kinect or Optional at @12.

#24 11 months ago
  25. monkeygourmet

What is the point…

Sony should have packed it in the box with move, charged £399 (still undercutting Xbone), and devs could have actually had the confidence of creating stuff with them.

As it stands, it’s just a waste of time… I think Sony will pay for this decision big time in the future when the Xbone’s media ability really starts to open up.

After the first ‘price cut’, this intitial lead will be forfit.

#25 11 months ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

Nope not repeating myself for a fourth time :?

#26 11 months ago
  27. monkeygourmet

I would be more with you apart from the sheer force MS will put behind Kinect with Bing, Advertising and the fact it’s in every box from the get go.

It’s an advertisers wet dream and could potentially win the next gen on it’s own.

#27 11 months ago
  28. xxJPRACERxx

@24 For me it’s all the small details that add up that are important. I’m glad pay for Kinect just for the auto profile switching alone!

Also, we have a limited number of buttons on a controller but we can have unlimited voice commands and/or gestures.

Now that it is included in the box, it won’t be an afterthought for devs… hopefully.

Also, remember that we now have console that are supposed to last for 10 years. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of innovative ideas develop for it in that time frame.

#28 11 months ago
  29. Lengendaryboss

Just saying there needs to be a reason for it games wise right out of the box well not right out but at launch.

#29 11 months ago