Sony forms Third Party team, announces exclusive content from 21 companies

Saturday, 31st August 2013 15:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SCEA’s Gio Corsi has announced the formation of a new group within the company called Third Party Production which works with publishing partners to bring third-party IPs to PlayStation platforms. This news coincides with the announcement of exclusive content from 21 publishers coming to PlayStation 4.

The Third Party Production sector will handle new IP’s, ports, and localized products in addition to content from partners which are currently in production. The group will help these companies strengthen the development process, ensuring quality and consistency on all Third Party projects.

The recently announced Vita version of Borderlands 2 is part of the program, and as mentioned above, there are 21 companies creating exclusive content for PS4, according to an announcement from SCEA’s group manager of retail training and advocacy, Sean Coleman.

Speaking during a presentation at the GameStop Expo in Las Vegas, Coleman said Sony has “forged great third-party partnerships with some of the biggest developers to bring exclusive game content,” to the PlayStation brand.

Coleman said that when comparing PS4 visuals” side by side with any other gaming console, PlayStation 4 will look better every time.”

He also reiterated that the $60 camera – sold separately – will support voice commands, facial recognition, and body movement tracking.

This list, posted below, contains publishers such as Activision Blizzard, Atlus, Level-5 and Rockstar Games.

Activision Blizzard – Diablo 3 content
Atlus
Bethesda Games – The Elder Scrolls Online exclusive PlayStation 4 beta
Bluepoint Games – “Bringing a Sony classic to current game systems”
Bungie – Destiny content
Square Enix
Sumo Digital
Take-Two
Ubisoft – Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag content, Watch Dogs content
Warner Bros. – Batman: Arkham Origins content
Zindagi Games

A video of the stage presentation was posted by NeoGAF, but it is inaccessible at press time.

1. Erthazus

the best developers from Sony will now help porting skins, DLC and 1 hour of gameplay to the PS4 or they will port PS3 games to Ps Vita.

Can’t wait.

#1 12 months ago
  2. pcbros

Bring exclusive franchises or games… then you will have my attention.

“PS4 visuals ‘side by side with any other gaming console, PlayStation 4 will look better every time.’”

Coming from a Sony rep isn’t very assuring. Have any neutral parties commented on the visuals between XB1 and PS4?

#2 12 months ago
  3. Max Payne

@2 It has stronger GPU
    Nuff said.

#3 12 months ago
  4. beast313

Great idea to keep the influx of games high. Takes some of the investment off the developers.

#4 12 months ago
  5. pcbros

@3 – The PS3 was technically more powerful than the Xbox 360… and at times, games ran/looked better on the 360. So I don’t buy into who has technically better hardware.

The Wii U is more powerful than the XB360 and PS3. Yet games like Splinter Cell have a faster FPS on the XB60/PS3, while the image quality is better on the Wii U.

I want to see some real world comparisons…

#5 12 months ago
  6. Christopher Jack

@5, Identical architecture with Xbone & PS4. Games WILL look better/run smoother/retain a higher resolution on PS4. The only way the cloud will factor in is if developers choose to offload more background tasks so they can squeeze more power out of the processor in other areas but I am doubtful the fundamentals will ever best the PS4.

#6 12 months ago
  7. pcbros

@6 – Interesting… I thought I read the XB1 was using a customized CPU and GPU.

So how do the GPU’s compare? Are we talking 59.5fps vs 60fps difference? lol

Also, doesn’t the OS take a toll on performance?

#7 12 months ago
  8. Max Payne

@7 Well both system have around 3-3.5 gb reserved for OS. For xbox 10% of GPU and 2 cores are also reserved for OS.
    PS4 I think is 0% for GPU and it may have small dedicated cpu for OS or I am wrong ?
    GPU is stronger no doubt for around 10-20 fps easily.
    I am not exactly sure how GDDR5 will change performance for better of worse.

#8 12 months ago
  9. laughing-gravy

@6 The architectures are not identical. There is a lot of custom stuff in PS4′s GPU that X1 doesn’t have. A lot more compute queues, custom shader extensions and 18 CU’s as opposed to 12 in X1. Msoft fanboys like to comfort themselves and say they are identical when they aren’t. Also the GPU in X1 is somewhere between a 6000 and a 7000 class whereas PS4′s GPU is a true 7000 series. The link is below. The shaders in PS4 have custom functions that X1 doesn’t. The article below also states that running real world code memory bandwidth on X1 is closer to 140-150 GB’s a second.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Kreion

No it doesn’t frame rate v.s tech doesn’t work that way. There isn’t ever going to be a flat increase since it comes down to how well the software makes use of the hardware and that will vary from company to company. This…thing will help that but I really doubt you’ll see a difference between the two systems with games that are developed for both.

Exclusives are another matter which I can’t comment on, but so far the PS4 hasn’t impressed on that front – though these are launch games so they’re not much use.

#10 12 months ago
  11. Djoenz

Im a SonyPS3 fanboy, but this is bullshit.

Games doesnt look better on ps4, but apparantly better looking on xbox 1. Some of the best dutch journalists (GameKings) went to gamescom and stated that the xbox one games looked more polished on xbox one than the games on ps4. Multi title or not. They tried the games out and I dont think they were playing on pc versions only Titanfall.

Apparantly Dead Rising 3 looks stunning and Ryse as well.

ALSO I dont give a shit about exclusive content, I want to see exclusive GAMES. Also screw the talk and walk the walk please. tyvm.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Hcw87

Numbers mean nothing, show games that actually look better on the PS4 instead.

Right now, both consoles graphics look identical, with some titles looking better on the XB1 and vice versa.

#12 12 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

Yeah, it’s very strange. I’m still waiting to see evidence of the PS4 being more powerful?

Now there are rumours of the Xbone having 2 GPU’s and I keep seeing things like:

And why can’t the drive club guys show a true direct feed video?

Killzones framerate at Gamescom was also all over the place.

#13 12 months ago
  14. laughing-gravy

#14 12 months ago
  15. monkeygourmet

Then why haven’t we seen anything running better in the PS4?

It seems to be struggling considering it has so much more power?

#15 12 months ago
  16. Belazur

@Djoenz
    Don’t talk crap, dude.
    At Gamescom, most of the journalists and games said that the PS4 stuff looked better. Just check out the Neogaf/Gamescom thread.
    Don’t make stuff up, dude.
    There is no reason for a multiplat game to look/run better on a XBone. The PS4 has the easier architecture and is much more powerful.

#16 12 months ago
  17. laughing-gravy

@13 The version of Battlefield was the only console version shown. On X1 it’s said to be worse. And X1 doesn’t have two GPU’s. That’s just stupid.

#17 12 months ago
  18. Hcw87

That goes both ways.

Compare the graphics and framerate of Forza 5 to Driveclub. Right now, no console has the upper hand technically, except on paper.

Also @17 where does it say the XB1 version is looking worse?

#18 12 months ago
  19. monkeygourmet

Who says its worse? Link?

Also, show me things that look better. I have watched all gameplay videos I can find and PS4 looks on par or worse than Xbone footage I’ve seen.

I think Sony fans are grabbing at straws early. There is oohing to prove the 30 – 40% power increase at all. The GDR5 doesn’t seem to have helped so far either.

Ultimately I’m getting both so I don’t give a shit, but gotta love fanboys trying to provide evidence of the PS4′s superiority.

#19 12 months ago
  20. PEYJ

Gio Corsi actually said it “WILL” look better, not that it DOES look better.

By the way, I don’t quite understand the presence of Insomniac, Zindagi and Sanzaru, as they developing games published by Sony, as in firstparty: Sony publish, they develop. Or have I missed something?

#20 12 months ago
  21. laughing-gravy

@15 Because games like Forza are using last gen features, baked shadows no dynamic lighting or weather and a damage model that’s worse than the X360 version. Titanfall has no ragdoll physics, low res textures and static backgrounds.

#21 12 months ago
  22. monkeygourmet

Then why are Somy being so stupid then.

Surely they don’t want people to see Forza and Driveclub running next to each other and people to think the inferior game (Forza) looks better and runs smoother?

Also, I’m still waiting for a link about BF4 on Xbone…

#22 12 months ago
  23. Djoenz

Look man why would I make shit up lmao.
    I just told you these dutch journalists went there and stated so. I respect them cause tbh they are the baddest journalists ever.

But yeah they are dutch like me. I dont think these dutch journalists talked outta their necks cause they even dissed the shit out of COD Ghosts. They are certainly not bribed.

Their opinions matter here in the Netherlands. I stated Im a fanboy of Sony and yet you reply with such a dumb post. Who is posting crap now?

It was their opinion and not mine cause I wasnt there at the gamescom myself to check it out. Were you?

It could be their opinion but they are not fucking blind you know. I think this is bullshit pr to the fullest. Dont believe everything you hear or read.

#23 12 months ago
  24. Belazur

#18 #19
    The PS4 version of Battlefield was the only console version they’ve showed. DICE said, the PC version is running better.
    There is a reason why there’s no XBone footage. According to rumors, the Xbone version is running worse.

#19 KILLZONE: Shadow Fall is currently the “best looking” launch game (yes, better than RYSE) and inFAMOUS: Second Son is currently the most impressive “launch window” game (and it’s an open-world game!!).

#24 12 months ago
  25. Max Payne

Infamous second son looks amazing considering its open world.
    And also Dead Rising 3 is having trouble to maintain 30fps…

#25 12 months ago
  26. laughing-gravy

@18 Things Drive club is doing that Forza isn’t, real time dynamic lighting, full dynamic day/night cycle, improved damage model and a lot more track side detail. Check out the Gamescom build of Driveclub it’s a big improvement on E3. The amount of geometry is far greater than Forza.

#26 12 months ago
  27. monkeygourmet

Can you link me some good quality footage?

Again, link about BF4 on Xbone please?

#27 12 months ago
  28. Belazur

#23
    Yes, visited Gamescom for 2 days.
    The journalists (germany) and gamers were impressed by the PS4 and a lot of them said the PS4 version was running better.
    That’s what I heard LIVE etc.
    So that’s the reason why I’m so confused by your post.

In the end, both launch (lineup) games will look nearly identical.
    We have to wait for the second wave of games.
    Currently, the developers are happy if they get the game out on launch day (finished/complete).

#28 12 months ago
  29. Djoenz

Then I apologize for my dumb reply. My bad, but now Im even more confused.

#29 12 months ago
  30. Dark

“SCEA’s Gio Corsi has announced the formation of a new group within the company called Third Party Production which works with publishing partners to bring third-party IPs to PlayStation platforms”

meanwhile at nintendo..

#30 12 months ago
  31. laughing-gravy

@27 It’s so bad they won’t even show it!

#31 12 months ago
  32. laughing-gravy

Apparently the PAX demo of BF4 was limited to 8vs8 matches, what does that tell you?

#32 12 months ago
  33. monkeygourmet

Thanks for the link, sounds horrible! :)

#33 12 months ago
  34. laughing-gravy

@33 Oh it is!

#34 12 months ago
  35. Max Payne

@27 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uibnf_Q_51s
    Infamous footage.

#35 12 months ago
  36. laughing-gravy

@35 Good call.

#36 12 months ago
  37. monkeygourmet

@ Max Hardcore

Thanks for the link, looks good! :) I didn’t really get into 1 or 2 but I’ll give this one a go.

#37 12 months ago
  38. super3001

ryse looks much as better then any ps4 game

no evidence that ps4 can match xone graphic so far

#38 12 months ago
  39. lexph3re

It’s funny the moment I heard more people say Drive Club looks bad they release this and I’m thinking “This looks bad to people?”

#39 12 months ago
  40. monkeygourmet

Not bad, just not 40% better than what is available on Xbone. Also driving games on ‘next gen’ @ 30fps? That’s disappointing.

#40 12 months ago
  41. Christopher Jack

@38, *Than. If you’re comparing something it is always than: “I am better than you”. Then essentially means next as you’re recalling an event: “I woke up then brushed my teeth”.

@39, I’m not personally interested because of the emphasis on all the social crap- ain’t my thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if that were the real reason people were criticizing it.

#41 12 months ago
  42. super3001

not gameplay. might be in-engine but not gameplay

#42 12 months ago
  43. wally10975

@Everyone just look at the sheer performance and calculation power of the two consoles APU’s, yes that’s right, they are using APU’s, not CPU’s and GPU’s. Thy are combined this gen, with a secondary low powered CPU for low power state tasks, or downloading while you play.

***Still looking for the link where AMD said they’ve developed a custom APU for each company***

#43 12 months ago
  44. monkeygourmet

The hot chip Xbone unveiling shows there is still things we not know about the console.

#44 12 months ago
  45. pcbros

@14 – “Games do look better on PS4, just compare the graphics of Titanfall to Infamous Second son.”

That’s like saying, “Games do look better on XB1, just compare Titanfall to Knack.”

Why do people compare different games? “Ryse and Dead Rising 3 are struggling to reach 30fps!” and “DriveClub is struggling to reach 60fp!”… who cares?! No one knows how Ryse/Dead Rising would run on a PS4. No one knows how DriveClub would run on a XB1.

You have to compare the same game.

At the moment, all we have are too many fanboy opinions… no facts.

#45 12 months ago
  46. wally10975

@44 True, although they revealed nothing new about graphics themselves, mostly just how the hardware works, which you get the same thing when you buy a motherboard. As it stands now, counting the sheer power the chips, they both have 8 cores, custom built, the PS4 uses 1152 shaders, Xbox One 768, and Shader Throughput, PS4 1.84 TeraFLOPS/s, Xbox One 1.31 TeraFLOPS/s. Unitl now the Xbox One’s Shader Throughput was just an estimate, but the slideshow in the link below states the numbers are true now.

#46 12 months ago
  47. Thugnificent

Anyways….

I’m excited about Atlus on this list. Can anyone smell Persona 5 with cross vita play?

#47 12 months ago
  48. pcbros

@47 – It would be nice if the Vita could be used as a second screen (a la Wii U Gamepad). Would make “split screen” games better :)

#48 12 months ago
  49. laughing-gravy

@43 There you go.
    @45 Actually little ol’ Knack has also come on in leaps and bounds, and the draw distance is definitely better than Titanfall. It also runs at a higher resolution, full HD.
    @46 Yep the numbers are true.

#49 12 months ago
  50. Kreion

Oh look at you, proving that the PC is more powerful than the next-gen consoles. Thanks for proving something that was known since before they were even announced – It must make you feel better in your choice! -.-

Knack is being developed by a first party so comparing it to 3rd party stuff is a bit shady. First party stuff will nearly always look the best because they have the direct support of the company – it’s why games like Forza and GT stomp most other racing sims.

Though I watched the footage and…it’s not exactly impressive I mean there’s not much happening and it’s not like they need a massive draw distance there. It looks like a fun platformer (perhaps) but it’s hardly a showcase of impressive 3d graphics.

What you’ve said means nothing, absolutely nothing. If I can see the difference between consoles then I can, if I can’t then I can’t. I could say “My computer has X and Y specs! Look!” But if I showed you and there was no difference between your computer your response would likely be “Meh.” The point I’m trying to make is that quoting number at this stage is pretty much a pissing contest – If the PS4 has a graphical advantage it will be made clear as the consoles develop. If it isn’t made clear then there’s no point to endlessly pointing to the specs and claiming it’s technically better.

#50 12 months ago
  51. pcbros

@49 – You wear your fanboy colors with pride I see…

You pull numbers and figures out of your… ahem, imagination. I’d love to see a document that compares the draw distance of Titanfall to Knack.

Anyways, the point I was making is that you can’t compare different games. Once a few games release for both system, we will be able to do an actual comparison.

Btw, does Knack even run at 60fps? It didn’t seem like it at E3, I might be wrong though.

#51 12 months ago
  52. sebastien rivas

Guys, seriously.
    Stop looking which has best GPU, they are both essentially same APU, the difference is ever so slight with change in DDR which should not evoke any difference on screen.
    What can make the major difference is based on an old article on vg247 when each, Sony and MS mentioned memory allowance for game devers. That function alone may apply why a game look slightly “fuller” on a platform and not the other.

Meanwhile, The only down step for MS at this moment is the fact they changed how cloud power behaves and functionality since DRM is offline so “some” game(s) in production need to be optimised as a result.

Seriously, some of you like to look for fleas in other peoples’ head.

#52 12 months ago
  53. laughing-gravy

@51 Don’t know about it’s framerate,but it’s definitely full HD. As for the draw distances check out the video in the link and then compare it to Titanfall vids, it’s plain to see.

#53 12 months ago
  54. laughing-gravy

@52 Check out the links I provided to the various diagrams, they are not the same.

#54 12 months ago
  55. monkeygourmet

@PCbros

Everyone knows PS4 can’t do 60fps.

#55 12 months ago
  56. laughing-gravy

@50 True, but neither is Titanfall:

#56 12 months ago
  57. Christopher Jack

@52, GPU is 40% more powerful. That’s a pretty large gap.

#57 12 months ago
  58. laughing-gravy

@55 of course it can final build of driveclub will, as will multiplayer on Killzone. 2 months is plenty of time to optimise framerates. Killzone is also far more impressive graphically. Look at BF4 on PS4 what was the framerate I here you say? It wouldn’t be 60 would it?

#58 12 months ago
  59. pcbros

@58 – With that kind of wishful thinking, I guess we can expect Ryse and Dead Rising to reach 60fps too :P

Get off the fanboy horse and learn to reason with people.

Btw, while all this tech talk is interesting… don’t forget, the original Xbox was superior to the PS2 in hardware. But the PS2 dominated that generation. Tech specs don’t mean a lot in the real world.

#59 12 months ago
  60. monkeygourmet

I was merely joking in an attempt to ‘rile’ people who need to defend PS4′s superior hardware.

Killzone is far more impressive graphically? Than what? Titanfall?

The game that won people’s hearts at gamescom and beyond. Yeah… Good luck with that. Killzone will be done and dusted in a few months and forgotten about I’m afraid. Same as all the others in the series.

#60 12 months ago
  61. laughing-gravy

@59 Checkout the earlier posts on BF4, specifically about how it’s worse on X1. I’ve been very reasoned, I’ve never abused anyone, all I did was provided counter arguments and backed them up with various links. If anything it’s you that’s slinging around names like fanboy. And you’ve never provided any proof of your arguments, in fact you don’t have any.

#61 12 months ago
  62. laughing-gravy

@60 Yes it is. Titanfall is way over hyped.

#62 12 months ago
  63. pcbros

@61 – I didn’t see a link comparing the PS4 and XB1 version of BF4.

Why do I think you are a fanboy? Because of comments like these…

“Check out the Gamescom build of Driveclub it’s a big improvement on E3. The amount of geometry is far greater than Forza.”

How would you even know how much geometry is in DriveClub or Forza? I played both a E3, have you played them? Forza 5 performed and looked better. Also consider the fact that Forza 5 has a lot of physics going on (it’s more of a simulation racing game) and DriveClub has been stated by the developer as being more of an arcade racing game (no real world physics being calculated).

“It’s so bad they won’t even show it!”

This is the fanboy in you coming out. Did EA say it was so bad they didn’t want to show it? You are just bashing the XB1.

“Of course it can final build of driveclub will, as will multiplayer on Killzone”

Again, there are no facts to prove that any of these games will be running at 60fps.

“Yes it is. Titanfall is way over hyped

Once again, putting down a XB1 game.

Btw, I don’t have any arguments because I don’t have a NEED to bash other companies.

#63 12 months ago
  64. monkeygourmet

Hmmmm… So one minute I shouldn’t regard people’s opinions on Xbone games, then I should if they don’t run that well…

Your not convincing me so far…

You seem like a flaming Sony Fandroid. No offence if you like lots of consoles, but it’s coming across that way.

#64 12 months ago
  65. monkeygourmet

Good skills! :)

+1 level up.

#65 12 months ago
  66. pcbros

@65 – Thanks ;) I personally like what all these companies are bringing to the table. Besides the games, they all bring much needed competition.

#66 12 months ago
  67. laughing-gravy

@63 Not bashing it! It’s the truth. They wont show the X1 version, why? Major Nelson was hyping it on his blog saying come along and see BF4 running on X1 1080p 60 fps. And it turns out the only 1080p code running at PAX was on PC’s and even then it was only 8vs8 matches. Don’t like being lied to. If you follow that link down to the comments you’ll find links to reddit where they stated the only 1080p code was on PC’s.
    @64 But don’t you get the feeling that it’s being rammed down our throats? And they still haven’t shown the X1 version of that yet either. Remember the E3 booths containing high end PC’s with Nvidia GFX cards? The version at Gamescom was also on PC. You can’t really have an opinion on a game you’ve never actually seen.

Edit: as for Driveclub vs Forza just look at the Gamescom videos of both games it’s quite clear there’s a difference in how much is being pushed around.

#67 12 months ago
  68. monkeygourmet

No worries, I’m not fighting either way! :)

Just don’t see the big power advantage yet! ;)

#68 12 months ago
  69. sebastien rivas

@ 54 and @ 57

Thanks a bunch for the links, it was upmost interesting to read through.

But I must reitterate with a leading point from 3rd dev parties point of view.

While still rethoric but non the less true on paper, would a 40% discrepency between Ms and Sony solicite a complete overhaul assets, and gameplay mechnics or do you think Pubs will not step in and say, ok, since both machines can produce good quality image/video/game, then let’s stick to T instance whereas let’s make a game 60fps on MS and let’s port it to Sony platform, then when done we can release it.
    Seriously, there is a difference, but the difference is not wide enough for a publisher to say ok both platforms are so different that assets, textures, gameplay cannot be used/reused/ported.

So what does it come down to.
    1) 3rd party developers will be happy to work on sony because it will be “easier” or less need to optimise the crap out of everything.
    2) We, gamers, are going to count how many leaves are in each tree, or how many lights are in the streets just to prove Xbox won for a single title. Yes but no, if you look at title X for both platforms then Sony won… and so on and so forth.

We are not looking at Wiiu versus MS or Sony here where the technical gap is massive and visually pronounced.
    What we see again is potentially having developpers scratching their heads for months to optimise everything while after a year or so they will develop game on T instance then port the game to the better platform ( less time consumption, games get out of the doors faster. That is what AAA publishers want ).

Is it sad, yes it is. And what are we left for gamers on better machine… the manufacturer 1st party games to really reveal the potential of their platform.

#69 12 months ago
  70. Hcw87

What’s funny is, the link about BF4 being on PC hardware also states this:

”Mind you, this definitely isn’t the first time that a “console version” of a next gen game is caught running on PC with controllers attached. Just to bring an example the “PS4 version” of Watch_Dogs was running in the same way at the Ubisoft booth at Gamescom, as I could personally verify, but at least in that case Sony or Ubisoft didn’t make much of a big deal of it, nor hid the keyboards, that were in plain sight.”

Also Knack looks like dogshit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcHfHwRMqMk

Objects disappearing a few seconds after they’ve been destroyed. That’s not exactly showing the awesomesuperperfect hardware advantage PS4 has.

Bottom line is both consoles have games that look good (Killzone and Forza 5), and both have games that looks less good (Knack and Dead Rising 3/Lococycle).

#70 12 months ago
  71. laughing-gravy

@68 I find it alarming that they haven’t actually shown a few games running on dev kits at least. They’re supposed to be launching in November. BTW consoles I’ve owned PC Engine, SNES, Megadrive, PS1, Saturn, PS2, X1 (original), PS3, X360 (two due to RROD).

#71 12 months ago
  72. laughing-gravy

@70 Oh yes they’re both guilty! As for Knack it does have it’s faults but it’s never attempted to hide them. And it’s always been shown on a dev kit. As have the other games I mentioned. The real test will come in gen 2 to 3 games and the word among devs at Gamescom was that PS4 does have a good advantage.

#72 12 months ago
  73. laughing-gravy

@69 As for lead dev platform that’s like trying to predict the weather. It all depends on how sales of each platform go. But yes first party games will obviously show them in their true light. The developers have said that both X1 and PS4 are quite easy to code for and both companies have gone out of their way to make them like that. So I don’t think that we’re going to have a horrible memory architecture mess like on PS3.

#73 12 months ago
  74. sebastien rivas

it is arguable to find MS in such bad shape that no dev will continue developping for it.

Easy to code for both platforms yes and it cannot be harder than raw power and a headache to produce games on ps3 at the very least, but detrimenting a platform just to push a title out for both platforms… surely.

I don’t want to see that and only time will tell generally speaking but I assume now that it should be the case in lots of 3rd dev’ing titles… unfortuntely.

#74 12 months ago
  75. laughing-gravy

@74 Hopefully not! Unfortunately as the big publishers have become more and more successful the one thing that matters to them most is money. So we could well see that there are indeed a few ‘gimped’ games.

#75 12 months ago
  76. fps_d0minat0r

in terms of raw power, no-one can deny that the PS4 is better.
    Its down to the third party developers if they have sympathy and make both versions equal, otherwise PS4 will be better every time around.

once naught dog release their PS4 game, the debate will be over for good.

#76 12 months ago
  77. pcbros

@67 – “As for Driveclub vs Forza just look at the Gamescom videos of both games it’s quite clear there’s a difference in how much is being pushed around.”

I calculated 2,456,889 polys for Forza 5 and 2,130,458 polys for DriveClub. That’s just by looking at the video. Did you get different totals?

@76 – Uncharted 4! :D I need to find a way to play Uncharted 3 first… hopefully the PS4 will support PS3 games.

#77 12 months ago
  78. laughing-gravy

@77 Seriously. For heavens sake. Look at the amount of trackside detail, the amount of trees, banners, spectators etc. There is a big difference.

#78 12 months ago
  79. Hcw87

The only difference i see of Driveclub and Forza is that Forza is superior graphically and framerate wise.

Also there’s nothing good about the damage detail of Driveclub either, since i’ve seen plenty of videos where players just bounce/glide around the corners like you did in the old days of Gran Turismo 1 and 2. Hopefully that improves though.

PS4 has Killzone and Infamous, that’s it atm.

#79 12 months ago
  80. pcbros

@78 – That’s your opinion. I personally think Forza’s car models are much better looking and probably have a higher polycount.

I’m sure if Gran Turismo 6 was a PS4 title it would probably trump them both. Hopefully GT fans will not have to wait 2-3 years for a GT on the PS4 :(

Btw, GT6 (along with Uncharted 3 and inFamous 2) have me wanting a PS3 again… I know I’ve said this a bunch of times, but Sony needs to come out with a PS3 250GB Gran Turismo 6 Bundle for $200 :)

#80 12 months ago
  81. laughing-gravy

@79 Forza are you sure? I’ve already explained in previous posts about the amount of things going on. So you want me to explain again. Forza has static lighting, baked shadows, poorer damage model than X360, flat textures on trackside details, lack of dynamic weather and day/night cycle. There were games on ps2 that ran at 60fps. Fps is no indication of system power.

#81 12 months ago
  82. laughing-gravy

@80 I would like to see a GT7 rather than a direct port of GT6 on PS4. As for GT6 on PS3, yes definitely.

#82 12 months ago
  83. Hcw87

Where do you pull those ”facts” from? Less fanboy talk, more actual stated facts.

Just do some google searches, the general concensus is that Forza > Drivclub. Doesn’t get any more simple than that.

Also: http://jalopnik.com/i-just-played-forza-5-for-a-few-minutes-and-now-im-mil-512874486

”The damage modeling has been improved as well, so you no longer just get those generic grey-metal streaks on your car when you clip a guard rail. The deformations and surface damage look much better. For me that’s half the fun, horribly mistreating these beautiful cars that cost more than all your organs with zero consequences.”

There are some facts for you, by someone who’s actually played the thing.

Some Forza gifs:

Looks spectacular to me.

#83 12 months ago
  84. laughing-gravy

@83 The previews that I got on Google for Driveclub come from an earlier E3 build of the game. I’ve seen the story before in the link and the damage models do nothing for actual handling. They are cosmetic. The damage models in Driveclub have also improved since E3. They are modelling a lot of the damage in Havok.

#84 12 months ago
  85. Hcw87

Damage which inflicts negatives on Handling has been in Forza since the first game.

Give me a source which states damage doesn’t do anything to the handling.
    You won’t find any.

#85 12 months ago
  86. laughing-gravy

@85 Can’t find any that state anything at all as regarding to handling. Just stuff that talks about cosmetic things.

#86 12 months ago
  87. Hcw87

Exactly :) There really isn’t much to complain about when it comes to Forza’s graphics, just like the graphics of Killzone and Infamous for example. Both systems have their strongpoints, which is why i’m getting both.

#87 12 months ago
  88. pcbros

@84 – “Damage cars take won’t determine how they handle” (Referring to DriveClub)

That quote come from Game Informer June 2013.

I looked at DriveClub again and it does look better than the E3 version. But it has a few big negatives.

First, it looks too muddy and dark. Second, the framerate is too low for me (they have to do 60fps, even at the cost of less trees). Third, the controls are not that good. I remember playing this and the controls just seem off. I don’t feel I have 100% control of the car, if that makes sense.

DriveClub isn’t doing it for me…

#88 12 months ago
  89. laughing-gravy

@87 I don’t have the luxury of being able to get both. Got other responsibilities like mortgage, energy bills, keeping a car on the road not to mention the ridiculous insurance premiums. So I have to go for one which I think has most longevity. And these past couple of years MSoft hasn’t put out a lot of AAA games. I don’t want another scenario where they spend a lot on games for the first couple of years and then a big drought at the end again.

#89 12 months ago
  90. laughing-gravy

That’s your personal opinion and I prefer the more naturalistic look of Driveclub. I don’t like things that are to shiny. It looks almost too perfect. I like them grungy.

#90 12 months ago
  91. pcbros

@90 – You must not like Gran Turismo then ;)

#91 12 months ago
  92. laughing-gravy

@91 It’s a good game sure. But in the graphics dept I actually prefer the Dirt series. Lots of mud, crumpled bonnets and general filth.

#92 12 months ago
  93. RoyBrown

If you have two computers both running an AMD A4@1.6GHZ + 8GB of ram, it’s pretty damn easy to say which one is more powerful.

Let’s call the first rig… X1, the second PS4…hey sound good ok?

The X1, has a slower GPU clock at 853mhz, and does not support HUMA or homogenous memory access.

The PS4 has a GPU clock of 1500mhz and does support HUMA.

The x1 can only access 5GB of DDr3 ram @ 2133mhz

The PS4 can access 5.5GB of DDR5 ram @ 5500mhz.

The PS4 has a dedicated video CPU that takes the load of the main APU.

If the two systems above were desktops…which hey, the PS4 and X1 basically are, it would be pretty obvious which one was more powerful…but hey

Fucking Fanboys can’t read.

#93 12 months ago
  94. Hcw87

Xbox One has its own version of HUMA.

Also, PS4′s gpu clock is 800mhz.

#94 12 months ago
  95. Max Payne

Should we even compare Driveclub to Forza ?
    I mean one is almost free other is $60.

#95 12 months ago
  96. pcbros

@93 – “As previously reported, the APU has eight AMD Jaguar 64-bit CPU cores with 32 KB of instruction and data cache. Four cores will be connected to 2 MB of shared Level 2 cache along with the embedded a graphics DirectX 11.1+ core. AMD revealed this hUMA technology back in April, or rather its Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access tech that builds upon the Heterogeneous Systems Architecture (HSA).” (Xbox One specs)

Not sure where you got that X1 doesn’t support hUMA…

“This week during the Hot Chips engineering conference at the Stanford Memorial Auditorium, Microsoft chip architect John Sell introduced the world to the secretive APU the company jointly developed with AMD.”

It’s obviously a custome chip, not identical to PS4′s. Do we really know everything about it?

And not to bring up “da cloud” again, but do we really know how this might affect performance? Could a server processing calculations take the load off the system’s CPU?

Second, the fact that XB1 provides an easy solution for implementing dedicated servers to developers, does that not equal better performance online? As of now, I haven’t read anything about COD:Ghosts being on d-servers for the PS4. So it could possibly be that the XB1 version could out perform it, atleast in the multiplayer realm.

Seems like everyone, not just “fanboys” want to jump the gun and call a clear winner. I’ll wait until the results come in myself.

EDIT: And just for the record, I’m not buying either one at launch. I’ll probably get a Wii U and upgrade my PC. PC games are generally cheaper and Steam has lots of good sales (I usually don’t spend more than $5 on a game) :)

#96 12 months ago
  97. gomersoul

Dedicated servers means fuck all… 200mb on virgin media partnered with Sony means more to me. What if you don’t play cod? At least with a faster connection every game and app works better

#97 12 months ago
  98. TheWulf

I’m just glad that indie devs aren’t falling for the one-platform thing any more. Console manufacturers have used that to prey on them, but the problem is is that the money they land with that is always far, far less than they would have if they’d released on every platform at day one. (Some have come forth and said so.)

It’s fine for big publishers, because they can afford to do this to strengthen their relationship with another big company. But indie devs can’t afford to lose that kind of money. I dread to think, really, if either Gone Home or Shelter had gone that way considering that they’re so anti-mainstream. And I think that flOwer and Journey would have enjoyed greater success if they’d released across all platforms, too.

I feel sad for indie devs which are still tied into exclusivity agreements. A chunk of money is nice in the very short term, but they didn’t realise at the time how much that’ll fuck them over in the long term. Especially with the ridiculous excuses that Microsoft seems to force people to make. (Alan Wake and Fez et al.)

So yeah. I’m actually glad that less indies are being suckered into exclusivity this time around, which explains the focus on the big publishers. I’m just really glad that that predatory bull has ceased to be effective.

#98 12 months ago
  99. Eregol

@96 And where does your hUMA info come from? The original Durango specs show that it isn’t hUMA architecture, and an XB1 engineer even stated that it uses something similar, but not actually hUMA itself.

In fact, to this day the XB1 still does not have a published spec sheet.

From Videogamer:

PS4 and Xbox One will both support a unified memory access system known as hUMA, despite earlier reports that this was a feature only found on the PS4.

Earlier this week it was reported that AMD’s senior product marketing manager Marc Diana had told press that only the PS4 had support for the hUMA shared memory area.

AMD later released a statement, stating Diana had “made inaccurate statements regarding the details of our semi-custom APU architectures.”

However, it turns out that the Xbox One does in fact feature a memory implementation comparable to hUMA.

A certified Xbox One developer took to Reddit to clear up the situation.

“Somebody had PM’ed me earlier linking to the Ars article on how the PS4 has a big advantage over the Xbox one due to hUMA. This was apparently said by some AMD marketing manager.

“I haven’t heard of hUMA until today, so I went to look it up. The way I understand it is that in addition to having unified memory access (shared memory between CPU and GPU), which allows the GPU to read CPU memory, it is also a coherent cache system.”

The dev added: “I remember reading something on this when I got my first alpha kit. I pulled up a couple of our internal white papers and it’s pretty clear that this was the exact implementation in the Xbox One’s memory system.

So there you go, both systems will support hUMA or an equivalent system, but what exactly does this mean? Well, AMD says that hUMA promises to deliver more performance from the same form factor, which means both the PS4 and Xbox One may actually be more powerful than the hardware specs led us to believe.

The chip maker also says that the tech will help lower development costs thanks to a more efficient architecture, which in turn means less people will be needed to do the same work.

#99 12 months ago
  100. pcbros

@97 – Dedicated servers over peer-2-peer for any online game (not just COD) in my book. But if you don’t mind hacked games, more lag and migrating hosts, then so be it.

@99 – Here is the link: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-one-processor-jaguar-apu-huma,24035.html

#100 12 months ago
  101. super3001

xone has data move engine (unknown spec) and esram and more we dont know about.

games prove power of machine. for launch xone is show better games. that is all that counts

#101 12 months ago
  102. sebastien rivas

@ 75 (Laughing-gravy)

I do not wish for the game industry to crumble but I really wish for consumers to make pubs understand that they don;t fit a unique mode of gaming and that per genre. Gimps games, yes there will be… Most should gimps, I assume yes to be honest.

More powerful, I am not fervant of this answer, but definitely a good support to smooth data transitions; therefore maximizing efficiency. Visually speaking, yes both X1 and Ps4 visual quality will go beyong amd ATI 7990 for best to all gamers.
    And yes An APU without hUMA is not an APU dedicated to consoles and might as well separate CPU and GPU because there would be no gain without hUMA
    Someone was effecitvely misinformed and intentionally misinforming.

Yes, we have to assume lags at the beginning and for a good 6 months onward, time for programmers to “scribe” their magic on their mystic screens :)

Agreed, exclusivity for indies is an oxymoron in itself.

#102 12 months ago
  103. pcbros

I think most publishers will develop their games on the less powerful console and just port it to the other console. This would make sense financially (less work).

First-party games will truly be the showcase titles for both systems. And I must say, I can’t wait to see Uncharted 4 and Halo 5 :)

#103 12 months ago