The Order: 1886 inspired by Uncharted 2

Thursday, 29th August 2013 22:47 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was the shot in the arm Ready At Dawn needed to get it pitching its first original project, PlayStation 4 exclusive The Order: 1886.

Ready at Dawn co-founder Ru Weerasuriya told Eurogamer that the company was founded to make The Order: 1886, but it was seeing neighbour Naughty Dog’s second Uncharted game come to fruition that gave the team the confidence it needed to make it happen.

“With the second game suddenly they created an emotion in people of that Hollywood blockbuster,” he said.

“We’re not trying to emulate things they’ve done moment to moment. We’re trying to give people that similar sense of entertainment. Entertainment comes in big Hollywood blockbusters and small indie movies – it’s that.

“Games don’t do that enough. Sometimes you get just stuck in one gameplay sequence or one thing you do all the way through. They gave us a multitude of things that created a whole. Once you played the game you felt, wow, that was a great ride. That’s where the inspiration came from.

“It was one of the first times in my life when I felt, wow, you know what? That was an amazing ride. There was no single moment when I was like, that was just cool and that’s the thing I love. The feeling at the end was, I just want more of this. This is what I want to do. This is what gaming is for me. That’s what drove us to do this.”

The Order: 1886 is a cinematic third-person shooter which has not been dated. Ready At Dawn’s past work includes mostly ports, although it did develop PSP title Daxter.

1. Lengendaryboss

@Brenna
    If “Uncharted 2 Drake’s Deception” was the sequel to Uncharted 3 Among Thieves then it would have been a killer end to the trilogy, but alas it wasn’t :)

Edit: Ok enough of being a smart ass, Uncharted 2 Among Thieves.

Point: On my watch list for the setting and that Uncharted inspiration among Dying Light and many others. (I don’t know why).

#1 1 year ago
  2. Max Pain

Well that is a great game to get inspiration from :)

Naughty dog really outdid themselves this gen.

Btw cant wait to see more of this game, looks awesome :D

#2 1 year ago
  3. Gheritt White

This and InFamous: Second Son are currently what;s swaying me towards the PS4 right now.

If only the pad was as good as the Xbone’s…

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

Uncharted 2 was great. Can only plays through those games once but loved every minute of it (while I wasn’t fighting against the limp dual shock sticks.)

I hope this has a strong emphasis on melee combat and combos as well as some meaty shooting.

#4 1 year ago
  5. diego-rbb-93

Uncharted 2 was the epic of epic epicness of epic.

Its not a great inspiration, its the best news for anybody who still had doubts with this project, like me.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

Uncharted 2: Drake’s Deception ????

New title? OMG.

#6 1 year ago
  7. zinc

@3, Have you used both pads, or judging on assumption ?

p.s. srs question, btw.

p.p.s. You’re a cunt :)

#7 1 year ago
  8. Francis O

Another movie game huh? Great, I guess.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Gheritt White

@7: No, funnily enough I’ve yet to try either pad yet, nor seen the finished consoles, only the dev kits. Hopefully the PS4 pad will be the better of the two, I just think the Xbone’s looks more comfy. Eager to be proven wrong though.

And yes, a massive one… honestly, you have no idea ;)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Brenna Hillier

@1 thanks. Brain fart. Fixed.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lengendaryboss

:D

@Francis
    You mean its another movie shooter game right? :) So thats means no buy, right? :D Great for people who loved Uncharted 2 is an understatement.

#11 1 year ago
  12. zinc

@9, look at you flashing your industry creds about!

“Only seen the dev kits..”

#12 1 year ago
  13. Biscuitpants

uncharted is over rated as fuck, shooting isnt that good and the rest of the game is just shit get blown up

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dave Cook

@13 Are you negative about everything by any chance? Is there anything you do like?

#14 1 year ago
  15. Biscuitpants

@14 i liked the idea of this game until i heard it was going to be exactly like uncharted, wbu?

#15 1 year ago
  16. MadFingerz

“That was an amazing ride” – that’s exactly how I felt after playing the Uncharted games and now more recently The Last of Us. If you ask me, as far as role models goes, they couldn’t pick a better team than ND.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Fragpuss

judging by comment #13 he has only played uncharted 3, which imo is the weakest of the series

#17 1 year ago