Terraria content will be included in Edge of Space

Thursday, 29th August 2013 17:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Terraria content will be included in Edge of Space, HandyMan Studios and Re-Logic announced today, which will include a battle with Omegatron, the sci-fi cybernetically enhanced version of Terraria’s Skeletron boss.

The news comes alongside the launch of the 200% More Science!!! patch for Edge of Space players currently in Steam Early Access.

“I’m really digging the potential of Edge of Space,” said Andrew Spinks, the creator of Terraria. “If you’re a fan of my game, then there is a good chance you’re really going to love the insane monsters, wild weapons, and flexible creation content of Edge of Space . They are a great group of passionate developers and I am glad to get to know them, and it could turn out to be one of the best sci-fi games in the genre.”

“We are really excited to have this crossover content and we have some cool stuff planned,” said Jake Crane, lead designer and founder of HandyMan Studios. “Terraria has been a great inspiration for those developers creating massive, open worlds that put players in control of their destiny.”

Edge of Space is an open-world, dynamically-generated sandbox survival-adventure game.

1. silkvg247

Met one of the guys working on this at insomnia. Very friendly guy, passionate about the game. Deserves your money, can tell you that already (game looked amazing, like terraria on crack).

#1 1 year ago
  2. silkvg247

Oh wait, what the? This is not Starbound.. man that’s just downright confusing especially when both have terraria devs on board.

#2 1 year ago
  3. DSB

Starbound is gonna be cruuuuunk.

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheWulf

I’m more for Starbound than I am for this.

The problem with Edge of Space is that it looks basically the same as Terraria with a sci-fi coat of paint, and I haven’t seen anything to really counter that image. Whereas Starbound seems like Terraria in space.

There is a difference, because the latter has aliens, space travel between worlds, spaceships, and so on. At least as far as I’m aware. That makes the prospect of Starbound more interesting to me than Edge of Space. Though I’m certain that Edge of Space will have plenty of fans, anyway, so one less won’t hurt it.

Edit: Of course, one of the biggest bonuses is that in Starbound I get to play as a medieval robot. Spiral Knights sold me on that.

#4 1 year ago
  5. KernelPanic

For me its Starbound all the way. This looks kinda yucky to me.

#5 1 year ago
  6. BlockAtATime

This game is soooo awful! I don’t know if the designers suffer from dyslexia or what, but the number of atrocious grammar mistakes is absolutely unbelievable. Seriously, within the first five minutes of game-play you’re going to see your/you’re misused at least twelve times.

Handyman has also chosen not to honor their promise of DRM-free copies of the game for backers, and anytime someone asks about it on the Steam forums they delete the post and ban the user.

The developers also have created a new EULA which both egregiously claims copyright on all software that ships with the game (which coincidentally includes Adobe AIR, Unity, Mono, EAZfuscator, and other third-party software) and expressly forbid a whole bunch of activities that would be necessary to support a modding community (which, to me, seems again in conflict with the Kickstarter campaign).

All components accompanying the software are copyrighted by HANDYMAN STUDIOS, LLC and may not be taken apart, modified, used or published with other software or means except with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT software and may not be distributed or copied in any manner.

You may not disclose to other persons the data or techniques relating to this SOFTWARE PRODUCT that you know or should know that it is a trade secret

Some guy on the Steam forums pointed out that this would forbid a modder from, for example, compiling a list of all available items in the game and posting it to a modding site and they perma-banned him from the forums and deleted the thread. They banned another guy for describing the use of the hidden cheat console. It doesn’t seem, to me, that this attitude jibes with the terms “moddable” or “sandbox”.

This game, seriously, is probably the best example I’ve seen so far of why Kickstarter can be a very bad thing for gamers.

#6 12 months ago