Wii U’s struggling sales have nothing to do with the console’s name, says Fils-Aime

Thursday, 29th August 2013 17:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime doesn’t think Wii U’s struggling sales can be attributed to its name, but to the lack of steady game releases – something Nintendo has admitted time and time again over the last few months.

Speaking with Kotaku, Fils-Aime said the fact Wii U has sold 1.5 million units – half of what Wii sold in the states during the same release period – has nothing to do with consumer confusion.

“The challenges we’re facing with Wii U are not issues of the name,” Fils-Aime said. “The issue is the lack of a steady rate of software launches to motivate the consumer to drive buzz and engagement and to highlight the wide variety of uses of the GamePad. That’s the issue.”

“The consumer understands that we have a new system. But the consumer is saying: ‘What am I going to play? And what am I going to play that’s a new and unique and compelling experience vs. what I can do today, whether it’s on the Wii or any other system?’

“And that’s why experiences like Pikmin 3, like Wonderful 101, like Zelda Wind Waker HD, with the off-TV play, experiences like Super Mario 3D World—that’s why it’s critical that we launch those, have consumers experience them in malls across the country, which we’ll be doing. It’s critical that the consumer see for themselves the range and breadth of compelling software for the system.”

Hopefully the $50 Wii U Deluxe model price drop and Q4 2013 release slate announced yesterday will help the company move more systems.

1. Lewis247

They really need to admit this is at the very least one of the major flaws of the system. I actually despise the system because of it’s name.

I’ve said time and time again I’ll eventually get one when the software picks up but what on earth were they thinking calling it WiiU. Terrible, terrible decision.

If they changed the name and the whole look of the console I think without a doubt they would have sold a lot more. Easily.

#1 1 year ago
  2. mistermogul

“The consumer understands that we have a new system”

I would beg to differ.

Many people still don’t know what Wii U is and others think it’s a new peripheral controller for the Wii.

@1 – I fully agree that the name is bad and the console should not have been designed to look almost identical to its predecessor. I mean wtf were they thinking?

I love Nintendo and their games but their business decisions often seem crazy to me.

#2 1 year ago
  3. pcbros

The system looks good to me. The name is odd though. I guess they were going for Wii 2 and thought it would be cute to replace “2″ with “U”.

But in the end, it’s about the games. If the system had awesome games, no one in their right mind would pass on it just because of the name. That’s a bit silly.

With that said, Nintendo has a pretty strong line-up for the holidays. I can easily name over five games I’d like to play, with Mario 3D World leading the wishlist.

By the way, anyone know if the Wii U basic is still going for $250? With the Wind Waker HD Bundle at $300 with 32GB memory… the Wii U Basic should be retired unless it drops to $200.

#3 1 year ago
  4. salarta

Wii U’s struggling sales can be attributed to the following problems.

-Not having a quantity of games people want to play at launch
    -Executives refusing to bring over quality games or forcing developers to change content because they think the games “won’t sell”
    -An inability to keep up with their competition on the fronts of graphical power and online networking
    -An over-emphasis on gimmicks as an attempt to make up for the previous point
    -An obsession with their “family-friendly” child’s toy image that makes them look like those are the only games they have to offer
    -An inability to have multiplatform games that Sony and Microsoft manage to obtain because of all the previous points

Even with all the problems above, Nintendo could STILL hold fairly steady if they would stop being stupid and do one simple thing: release major installments of all their major IPs right at launch or extremely close to it. Unless the games royally suck, that guarantees a positive impression that Nintendo is fully committed to the system and that it actually has games to play. It’s simple: release a major Mario title, a major Legend of Zelda title, a major Metroid title, and probably another Super Smash Bros game, all within the first month or two.

Saying consumers couldn’t possibly buy 3-4 games in 1-2 months is an assumption. And even if it’s an accurate assumption, the fact of the matter is that it doesn’t matter whether they buy the games on release or wait a year. What matters is the impression that the console actually has games worth playing right out of the gate. Waiting a year to put out such games is a blow to perception, and a blow to perception means a loss of hundreds of thousands, potentially millions of sales. It’s more likely that after a year, people that aren’t hardcore fans of Nintendo won’t even bother to pay attention to anything Nintendo does. They’ll just assume the console has nothing to offer, even if a year later Nintendo starts releasing 3-4 great games per month.

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

Reggie talking some grade A sheeeeeeit today! :)

#5 1 year ago
  6. fearmonkey

Naming it the Wii-u WAS a bad idea, as many Wii owners I knew didn’t even know it was new console, they thought it was just the controller for Wii.

Even Reggie had to deal with that with Jimmy Fallon, he is just doing his job, he knows the truth.

If they would have designed the console differently that might have helped as well.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Joe Musashi

I hope Reggie sincerely believes what he’s saying. Because the Wii/Wii U identity issue needed sufficient clarification from Nintendo.

I have to wonder if 3DS/2DS is going to have the opposite issue – consumers believing it’s a different product when it’s not. Are all 3DS games going to be branded “3DS/2DS”?

#Vaas

JM

#7 1 year ago
  8. polygem

@pc bros.. i would check large electronic stores for prices.
    i bought a basic wiiu brandnew for 199€ only a week ago and then a 2tb external hdd for 60€. works great.
    love it. great price.
    i had a black one before. liking the white one more actually…but that doesn’t matter.
    i think it is absolutely the right time to get one this fall.
    if you do buy one, open a thread or reactivate one to share nintendo id’s if you like. would be cool to play some mk together with some vg guys later next year.

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

In for the MK tourney! I wonder if we will reach the 12 player limit?!

#9 1 year ago
  10. polygem

yeah mk will be crazy fun, that’s pretty much granted.

(((HEY OOooooGGgggg! can you hear me….? if you’re rading this. finally add me ffs!)))

#10 1 year ago
  11. polygem

i will take luigi or the wiggler if he’s in the game. i demand it!

#11 1 year ago
  12. monkeygourmet

Toad, Birdo or Boo for me!

#12 1 year ago
  13. Erthazus

Since they showed the console I said it’s outdated Kitchen Sink with 2004 year old technology. There is no reason to have one unless you are a nintendo fanboy or someone that lives under the rock and does not know that PC, xbox 360, PS3 exists.

Or a stupid parent. Obviously

Pikmin 3 does not solve any problem. It’s a good game not a system seller but I can get Pikmin 3 type of games on the PC. Overlord series as the example.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Professor Zoom

#14 1 year ago
  15. pcbros

Having the LATEST technology is not always the best…

Sales
    ———–
    – NES > Sega Master System (SMS better tech)
    – NES > Genesis (Genesis better tech)
    – Genesis > Turbo Grafx 16 (TG16 better tech)
    – Gameboy > Sega Game Gear (SGG better tech)
    – PS2 > Xbox (Xbox better tech)
    – DS > PSP (PSP better tech)
    – Xbox 360 > PS3 (PS3 better tech)
    – 3DS > VITA (VITA better tech)

History shows clearly that having better technology does not mean better sales.

It’s about the games…

Nintendo’s biggest struggle has been the western influence on games. During the 1980 – late 1990′s, eastern based games dominated the market. Companies like Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Capcom, Konami, and others were at the top of their game. But now we have seen a shift to more western style games. It’s all about graphics and FPS games in today’s market.

But indie games are changing the way people see games. It’s not all about graphics. Personality, gameplay, story and creativity are starting to become valued attributes in games again.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Professor Zoom

#15 True, it’s all about the games, but you don’t have the games. And you’ve never had them, so stop saying it’s all about the games, otherwise you would’ve had an E3 conference to show these games, but you didn’t because you wouldn’t embarass yourselves, you’re bringing us about 3 or 4 games in in a 5 year period without any kind of third party support, that’s obviously why you’re gonna be having problems selling consoles. Microsoft have a lineup of 14 exclusive titles at X1 launch window, 8 of which are brand new franchises. that’s more than what Nintendo can do in a 10 year period. So stop pretending like you have the games, your console has very little to play, it’s less powerful and more expensive than a 360 and it has lesser games, poor online capabilities and many outdated remakes and old franchises, even Pikmin 3 should have been out a long time ago, I think they were promising it already back in 2008.

#16 1 year ago
  17. polygem

f*$%k me man, nintendo are finally delivering lots of great games for the wiiu and some people are STILL complaining ALL THE TIME.
    clowns

#17 1 year ago
  18. monkeygourmet

£149 !!!

That’s pretty damn good!

#18 1 year ago
  19. Professor Zoom

#17 What are those? 101 was one of the worst rated games at the E3 awards and have an average rating of 79 on metacritic, so it’s not any more valuable to pick up in cotrast to other recent releases like Saints Row 4 or Madden.

Donkey Kong is a 2D remake that was originally a handheld game, I don’t get why they don’t just stick with 2D platformers on handhelds with lower prices, cause I don’t see why another Gameboy original game like Donkey Kong is expensive to make. Windawaker is a remake for full price, not too impressive, considering how much masterpieces like Crysis 1, Beyond Good and Evil and Resident Evil costed when they released on the 360.

Pikmin 3 was promised already back in 2008 and now they are bringing us it, but I already sold my Wii because of that many years ago.

And last they have also delayed Smash bros and Mario kart again in addition with no third party support, I wanna play adult games and new experiences like Titanfall, Fable Legends, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark and Killer Instinct, they need to satisfy all the gamers, in contrast to Microsoft they are not doing that at all.

#19 1 year ago
  20. pcbros

@16 – I didn’t say they had the games. But they are getting the games…

1. New Super Mario U
    2. Zelda Wind Waker HD
    3. The Wonderful 101
    4. Pikmin 3
    5. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
    6. Super Mario 3D World
    7. Super Smash Bros
    8. Mario Kart 8
    9. X (Xenoblade sequel?)
    10. Sonic Lost World
    11. Scribblenauts Unmasked
    12. Earthbound (Virtual Console… but I couldn’t resist!)

and if you don’t own a Xbox 360 or PS3…

13. Splinter Cell: Blacklist
    14. Batman Arkham: Origins
    15. Rayman Origins

and more.

These are games I would like to play. So the Wii U in my book is worth getting. I enjoy fun games. I don’t need killstreaks, realistic graphics and the cloud to have fun ;)

#20 1 year ago
  21. DarkElfa

Everyone leading Nintendo right now needs to be replaced with fresh thinkers who are up to date on the current console and gaming situation.

#21 1 year ago
  22. stalepie

I think they should consider at least changing (updating) the logo. It’s not obvious to the eye that the “U” is part of the name. It may be to video game fans, who read news sites every day, but not to many buyers.
    The box art also hides the system behind the controller, making it look like an accessory.

Besides this I would say the price is the main factor.

#22 1 year ago
  23. monkeygourmet

Adult games FTW.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Professor Zoom

#20 Read #19

#24 1 year ago
  25. pcbros

@19 – “I wanna play adult games and new experiences like Titanfall, Fable Legends, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark and Killer Instinct.”

With all respect (I think the PS4 and XB1 are killer consoles) but besides Project Spark, I don’t see new experiences.

– Titanfall = Another FPS (with Mechs)
    – Fable Legends = ?… Could play like any other Fable game.
    – Dead Rising 3 = Dead Rising 2, better graphics and vehicles.
    – Killer Instinct = Another fighting game

Let’s be real, besides the potential use of the Kinect 2… 80-90% of next-generation games will be current generation games with better visuals. There might be some new franchises coming out but in the end most will be based on current game formulas with different leading characters.

@20 – So you PERSONALLY do not like those games. Some people hate FPS games. I don’t see your point. I can look at that mega XB1 launch line-up you mentioned and say, “I don’t like any of those games”.

#25 1 year ago
  26. polygem

for prof:

#26 1 year ago
  27. Professor Zoom

#25 You forgot Ryse, Quantum Break, Below, Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive and D4. I’m not planning to get any next gen system, before they have a lot more to play, but with all the exclusive games and content on 360 and X1 combined I think Microsoft are busting their asses (unlike others) and offering a lot more games than Nintendo, Fable Legends is quite a unique and innovative idea with its online plays, where you can choose to play as the villain or hero. The Wii 1 seems dead already? Wasn’t it the last gen winner? Or is it just lack of third party that kills it? Nintendo is second class when it comes to software/third party support.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Professor Zoom

#26 And what are the big games that’s gonna convince people to buy the U’s instead of sticking with their 360 or PS3? It’s almost 1 year since Wii u release and Nintendo didn’t even have an E3 conference to show their games in order to finally sell their systems, while Microsoft have already announced 50 games before the console being released already, so next year it’s probably a 50 more and overall a lot more than Nintendo.

#28 1 year ago
  29. monkeygourmet

“Fable Legends is quite a unique and innovative idea with its online plays, where you can choose to play as the villain or hero.”

#29 1 year ago
  30. Professor Zoom

#29 In order to sell systems and convince people, I don’t think only 1 shooter is gonna convince people to buy a U, because the install base of those games are not playing Nintendo, they need 10 of those at launch window, and maybe then we’re talking.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Lengendaryboss

Give it up people you’re arguing with a blinded Xbox troll let him live in his fantasy world and move on.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Professor Zoom

#31 Lol.

#32 1 year ago
  33. pcbros

@27 – “Nintendo is second class when it comes to software”

Their games are usually top rated.

“Fable Legends is quite a unique and innovative idea with its online plays, where you can choose to play as the villain or hero”

You were always able to become a villain or hero in Fable. Star Wars:Knights of the Old Repblic (Xbox) also had this feature. Nothing new.

“I think Microsoft are busting their asses (unlike others) and offering a lot more games than Nintendo.”

How many first-party games is Microsoft releasing for XB360 & XB1 combined for 2013?

Just thinking off the top of my head and I can’t think of more than three for the Xbox One and I don’t remember many first-party games for the Xbox 360. But I’d like to hear a total if you have one.

Nintendo has four titles for the Wii U this fall (compared to MS’s three for the XB1). And that’s not including all the games they’ve released for the 3DS.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Professor Zoom

#33 They have Ryse and Fable Legends, if they have the software, then I don’t care about first party, Xbox is a software machine where all the great games releases, PS4 is too, but has lesser exclusives, where are all those third party games that the Gamecube had too? The Gamecube had third party support, lots of it. Nintendo isn’t the same company anymore, I wanna see the Nintendo trying something new.

I don’t see how Titanfall is just another FPS, it looks a little like Crysis 3 but much better and realistic and the story and the fact that it’s a brand new franchise are good reasons to get the game, just like the reason you watch a movie, you don’t wanna see 10 sequels to a movie, Titanfall isn’t a sequel to anything, that’s something Nintendo doesn’t have. I heard a lot a lot of positives about the gameplay and all the praise it got at the E3 awards in contrast to Mario kart, Windwaker or 101 that were at the bottom.

Four games by Nintendo? What are those? Without counting the 2 remakes and the bad rated 101 and the 3DS port ‘Super Mario world’?

#34 1 year ago
  35. JamieAllen

My Uncle Alex just got a fantastic black Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab from only workin parttime on a pc… visit the site… C­­a­­f­­e­­4­­4.ℂ­­ℴ­­ℳ

#35 1 year ago
  36. monkeygourmet

Well, your ‘Uncle Alex’ can go fuck himself and his fantastic Crew Cab

#36 1 year ago
  37. pcbros

@34 – “I wanna see the Nintendo trying something new.”

Sony and Microsoft’s gameplan: Release more powerful hardware capable of better graphics. Besides the potential of the Kinect 2 (which was inspired by the Wii’s motion controls), where is the innovation?

Nintendo has brought a lot of hardware innovations…

1. D-Pad (NES)
    2. Four-button layout (SNES)
    3. Shoulder buttons (SNES)
    4. Stereo 3D Display (Virtual Boy)
    5. Analog stick (N64)
    6. Dual-screen (DS)
    7. Touchscreen (DS)
    8. Motion Controls (Wii)
    9. 3D Visuals (3DS)
    10. Gamepad w/ independent 2nd Display (Wii U)

Let’s face it, if it wasn’t for Nintendo, you would be playing Titanfall on a square black controller with one joystick and a single red button located on the top left corner.

Respect the Godfather of gaming 8)

#37 1 year ago
  38. dreamcastnews

@37 I couldn’t agree more at your whole statement.

‘Nintendo is always trying something new and when they do bring out something new, people like you complain because you want more of the same.’

– This.

#38 1 year ago
  39. dreamcastnews

@36 lmao

#39 1 year ago
  40. pcbros

@38 – Your username brings back memories :(

I miss the Dreamcast…

#40 1 year ago
  41. dreamcastnews

@40 you strike me as a gamer with good taste, sir!

#41 1 year ago
  42. Professor Zoom

#37 If it wasn’t for Microsoft you wouldn’t have had a computer right now. They are making all your computers cheap in contrast to Apple with their expensive hardware and I didn’t talk about hardware innovation, I talked about software innovation and as you said tech isn’t important, it’s all about the games and nothing is new in this area by Nintendo, they’re planning the same plans every single generation, like release a Mario kart 1.5 year after launch, release a Smash bros. 1.5 year after launch, release a Wii fit, release a Zelda remake, release a 2D remake and in a 10 year period only 1 core game was a brand new franchise, what about us who might have enjoyed some of these in 1 or 2 games but who don’t want to play another Mario kart, don’t want to play another Smash bros, don’t want to play another Zelda remake, what do we have to look forward to? I looked at that IGN list and I think the only things in the little list that I think interested me for the next 12 months was maybe Cubeman 2 and X.

I appreciate what Nintendo did with everything done at the Gameucbe time and prior, but after that, it’s been weak at the software area and people only bought Wii 1 to play Wii Sports, fit and old first party franchises. If you compare it to the XB1 in terms of hardware which as well has a similiar 2 screen experience called Smartglass, then Wii u isn’t much innovative. So they need to give some of their old franchises a break, release new franchises, fire Miyamoto and Reggie, make a brand new next gen console with a brand new Star Fox and get the same third party software as Sony and Microsft and lots of it.

”Their games are usually top rated. ”
    If you talk 2013 then 101 was rated one of the worst rated games at the E3 awards, got an average rating of 79 on metacritic, Windwaker/DK/Mario World are ports/remakes so nothing much new or interesting in terms of software from Nintendo this year if you’re interested in other companies as well simultaneously, that’s why you’ll get problems to sell consoles.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Schwarzerwind

Disagree there, Reggie.

I’m getting USED to calling it the Wii U…. and my family still wants one badly. However,you should have called it something entirely different, Wii 2 at the least.

And you could have changed up the design.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Lengendaryboss

Remember people you can feed the Xbox troll (Zoom) but remember don’t overstuff him.

#44 1 year ago
  45. MCTJim

The name matters not to me or my youngest…its the software that he wants

#45 1 year ago
  46. Professor Zoom

#44 You keep coming back? Haven’t got anything better to do? Just keep staying away, and mind your own business. Nintendo fanboys like you are quite annoying.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Lengendaryboss

So to recap, i have been called a Sony fanboy by Mayhem, a Nintendo fanboy by you, Nintendo hater by Francis, PC Master Race and Xbot (Fanboy) by PS3fanboy.

Somewhere along the line is me laughing at people who are fanboys calling others fanboys/haters when in reality they all adopt those roles in retaliation. Like i claimed before three times hypocrisy.

Theres your fed limit by me, now thank me and go to bed :)

Edited to give you more food, be grateful :D

#47 1 year ago
  48. pcbros

@41 – And you my friend, strike me as a gamer that onced played the legendary Dreamcast and lived to tell the tale!

@42 – “If it wasn’t for Microsoft you wouldn’t have had a computer right now. They are making all your computers cheap in contrast to Apple.”

“I talked about software innovation and as you said tech isn’t important, it’s all about the games and nothing is new in this area by Nintendo, they’re planning the same plans every single generation”

You said @14, “Time to become third party, Nintendo, admit it finally or craft a true next gen system that competed with the others just like the Gamecube.”

“You make crappy games Nintendo, so I think you should become a 3rd-party developer and ONLY make games”. That’s pretty much what you are saying.

– Halo = Super Mario
    – Forza = Mario Kart
    – Fable = Zelda

“If you compare it to the XB1 in terms of hardware which as well has a similiar 2 screen experience called Smartglass, then Wii u isn’t much innovative.”

“So they need to give some of their old franchises a break, release new franchises, fire Miyamoto and Reggie”

So would you also like Microsoft to take a break from Halo, Forza, Fable and Kinect Sports too?

Btw, don’t mess with Miyamoto.

“Make a brand new next gen console with a brand new Star Fox and get the same third party software as Sony and Microsft and lots of it”

Yes, because what we need is THREE consoles offering 80% of the same games. About 80% of XB1′s line-up will be available on PS4.

With the Wii U, 80% of their line-up can NOT be found on any other system.

And you better believe Star Fox will come to the Wii U…

“If you talk 2013 then 101 was rated one of the worst rated games at the E3 awards, got an average rating of 79 on metacritic”

Since when is a metascore of 79 bad?

“Windwaker/DK/Mario World are ports/remakes so nothing much new

Killer Instinct, Forza, Halo, Fable are remakes too… so I guess nothing new.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Professor Zoom

”Microsoft does not make computers. They make operating systems (ex. Windows 8). IBM and Apple created the first computers. When companies began creating IBM-compatible PC’s, prices dropped. Microsoft actually makes the most expensive operating systems. If you want cheap, go Linux… 100% free.”

Microsoft plays a very important role, in the revolution of computers, a fact no can deny and they are one of the only ones offering you an operating system.

”If it’s about the games, why are you asking them to make a more powerful system?”

Powerful system = better games, better experiences.

”If you do not like their games… why do you want them to become a third party developer? This does not make sense.”

Because people only buy their systems to play first party and absoulutely love Nintendo content, that’s why you’re gonna have problems selling consoles.

”Only one problem, Nintendo introduced the 2 screen experience. Microsoft borrowed it.”

Did they really borrow it? I think it was introduced already before the Wii u even launched, I think it’s just part of next gen technoligies so stop saying something’s been borrowed, you can borrow whatever you want, I’m sure Zelda and Mario was borrowed too in the first place. And Microsoft’s idea is much more innovative, since you’re not forced to have the screen already in the box,

”Killer Instinct, Forza, Halo, Fable are remakes too… so I guess nothing new.”

Ryse is a unique and brand new first party franchise. Project Spark is a brand new franchise going to compete with Little big. Sunset Overdrive is a brand new franchise, there is new stuff there, when you look at Nintendo for the past 10 years only Pikmin was something new and interesting and those you mentioned are all new entries in the series, not remakes.

”Since when is a metascore of 79 bad?”

If you compare it to other newly released game like Madden, Blacklist, Saints Row 4 and Diablo, this game isn’t worth to pay full price for.

”By offering a different experience and line-up, they can essentially grab a much bigger piece of the pie.”

The games are usually meh and all casual, nothing new or interesting there and it’s just with long term milked franchises only. I only found Cubeman 2 and X interesting, I wanna see the Nintendo with third party and trying something brand new.

”A lot of people this current-generation bought a Xbox 360 or a PS3 and a Wii. If the Wii offered pretty much the same games as the PS3/XB360, Nintendo would be fighting for 1/3 of the pie.”

That won’t happen with Wii u, and you’re already seeing that now, it’s been 10 months and it’s still selling slow, even in Europe where it’s already had a price cut for quite a while now, it took the 3DS 5 months before it began to sell, that’s not the same case with Wii u’s. Right now in its period of time on the market compared with the Gamecube, it’s selling even worser. I don’t think there are more than 30 million of you out there who absolutely love Nintendo content and wanna buy their system the other 20 million are people who bought Wii + another console, many of those have most likely sold their Wii 1′s long time ago, due to the lack of games and are most likely gonna buy a PS4/XB1, and not another Nintendo console. The other 50 million that raised the Wii sales to 100 millin, bought it for Wii sports, but those are gonna end up buying an XB1 or PS4.

”And speaking of games, Microsoft releases a Halo, Forza, and Fable game on all of their consoles. Where is the innovation in their games?”

#49 1 year ago
  50. polygem

i hope nintendo, the core vision they follow, will never change.

people are getting crazy when you say this but, well, i think it is true and this thread just shows it again.

some guys just don’t get what nintendo is about.

i wish they would just move on and let others enjoy it for what it is and stop demanding new ip action nintendo games on competitive ultramodern hardware with x-gamechat, achievements etc.

i’d hate it if that would be happening.
    i have this on almost every other system i own.

no need that my nintendo system joins the bunch. they can improve things. sure, like the nintendo id issue -it needs to be fixed- but they don’t need to become a top player in that department.

nintendo keeps the old school alive and wraps it in beautiful, brandnew paper. i want exactly that. that’s their job. they are doing a fantastic job. thank you.

#50 1 year ago
  51. pcbros

@49 – “Powerful system = better games, better experiences.”

That’s 100% false.

– NES > Sega Master System (SMS better tech)
    – NES > Genesis (Genesis better tech)
    – Genesis > Turbo Grafx 16 (TG16 better tech)
    – Gameboy > Sega Game Gear (SGG better tech)
    – PS2 > Xbox (Xbox better tech)
    – DS > PSP (PSP better tech)
    – Xbox 360 > PS3 (PS3 better tech)
    – 3DS > VITA (VITA better tech)

Graphics CAN enhance a game, but that’s it. It’s just one piece of a bigger puzzle (gameplay, story, personality, creativity, etc).

”People only buy their systems to play first party and absoulutely love Nintendo content, that’s why you’re gonna have problems selling consoles.

I personally love Nintendo games and that’s why I’ve owned every Nintendo console since the NES.

“First party is only 1% of total games on Xbox, I don’t play on Xbox just to play first party, I play it for the tremendous amount of third pary games.”

Look, I respect your opinion, but I agree with #50… Nintendo should not change. They just need to release the goods (the games). Trying to fight Sony and Microsoft head on is suicide.

I can only imagine what the next Zelda, Star Fox, Metroid and F-Zero (it could happen) will look like! :D

#51 1 year ago
  52. Professor Zoom

#51 We’ve already been over this before, I think you are mistaking the definition of powerful with graphics. Powerful doesn’t just mean better graphics, it means better longetivity in games and better spectacular sounds. Those criterias are undeniably some of the most important criterias in games/consoles and it’s about 40% of the criterias in a game/console, and Nintendo games doesn’t have much of this, if you’re tired of playing another Donkey Kong remake, another Zelda remake and another Mario Kart remake, so neither do they have any games at all for the grown ups who don’t want Mario or Zelda. Nintendo can keep making bad graphics, bad longetivities, and sounds in games, if they want, even if they had a powerful console, but they need to listen to the gamers and have a platform of choice by crafting a powerful console for those who like third party content, multiplayer action, graphics, sounds longetivity and games like Fallout and Elder scrolls just to name a few.

”You just admitted people LOVE Nintendo games. So if it’s about the games and people love Nintendo games… then what’s the problem?”

Yes there are people, who absolutely love Nintendo games, the absolute hardcore who want to play all their content, but I don’t think there are more than 30 millions of you out there, we saw the same with the Gamecube and N64. There are an additional 70 million who were either casual gamers who bought it for Wii sports or just gamers who bought it in addition with another console, but I don’t think they will do this again, I think probably 20-30% of all the Wii 1 owners ended up selling the system after the lack of decent software, I know many people (including myself who ended up selling the system) Another reason they won’t buy a U is because they’re probably gonna stick with their 360/PS3/Wii 1 for a long time, that has pretty much the same casual content and better games.

”Understood. But the majority (+95%) of your exclusive games will be first-party games. So if only 1% are first-party games… meaning over 95% of your games will be third-party (available on multiple platforms), why not just buy a PS4 for $100 less? That’s the problem XB1 will face. A lot of people just want to play games like COD and BF. So why pay $100 more?

I can only imagine what the next Zelda, Star Fox, Metroid and F-Zero (it could happen) will look like!”

I meant that I’m not playing it just for first party games, I will pick it up when Fallout 4, Doom 4 and other of the tremendous third party games and exclusive deals has arrived, all my achievements are on my gamertag so I don’t want to begin all over again by playing with the PS4 thophies and I want a console that has exlclusive games and deals, and thos are 14 games at launch window and 5 games on PS4, that’s why I’d select it over PS4 and it’s not 100$ difference between PS4 and X1 here in Denmark, it’s 70$ difference, including a game and a camera but I’m not planning to pick any of them until I have nothing else to play on the 360.

#52 1 year ago
  53. pcbros

@53 – “#51 We’ve already been over this before, I think you are mistaking the definition of powerful with graphics. Powerful doesn’t just mean better graphics, it means better longetivity in games and better spectacular sounds.”

Better spectacular sounds? I personally do not hear a difference in audio quality. I don’t see how the PS4 will sound so much better than the PS3. I’m pretty sure the Wii U’s sounds are good enough.

Apple will not change… Nintendo will not change.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Lengendaryboss

@PCbros
    Ok enough is enough you have fed the xbox troll enough.

Your overstuffing him.

#54 1 year ago
  55. pcbros

@54 – lol ok…

#55 1 year ago
  56. Professor Zoom

#54 I’m not a troll, you are…

#56 1 year ago
  57. Professor Zoom

”Nintendo might not sell as many consoles as Microsoft and Sony. But look at Apple. They do not sell as many computers as the competition, but there is a group of people who love Apple computers. Apple is not about to change it’s image, cheap out on parts, allow other companies to make Apple clones just to sell more Apple computers. ”

”Nintendo will not change.”

No, but I want them to…

”Powerful = longevity? I think the quality of the system’s design and construction = longevity. If you mean a game’s “replay” value, then that’s up to the way the game is designed… not the system itself.”

#57 1 year ago
  58. pcbros

@54 – Sorry… one last feeding.

@57 – “This doesn’t make any sense to me, just because there’s a small minority of people who liked the Virtual Boy, doesn’t mean they have to craft more Virtual Boys.”

Small minority? I never said that. I said Nintendo doesn’t have to sell as many consoles as Microsoft/Sony to survive.

“Yes, and no offence but in fact I think that the U would be smashed to pieces if you tried to run/develop sandbox masterpieces like GTA 5, Saints Row 4, Far Cry, Fallout 3 and Skyrim on it.

Where do you get this info? Batman Arkham City for the Wii U is a sandbox masterpiece game.

Also, like I said, people are not chosing between a Wii U or a PS4/XB1. They are deciding whether to get a Wii U in ADDITION to a PS4/XB1. Nintendo has it’s own unique line-up, whether you personally like it or not.

Look it’s been fun debating this topic, but we have to call it quits. Enjoy your XB1 ;)

#58 1 year ago